• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I'm personally inclined to think that there might be a SonyxAtlus collab as well, announced on stage.

I'm really hoping that Sony and Atlus team up for a limited edition Persona 5 PS4 bundle/console.

I will buy that sh*t in a heartbeat.
(Probably faster.)

I'm thinking it's Anne, since her character design makes me think she's Caucasian between the seemingly undyed blonde hair and the blue eyes.

No official name yet, but I want it to be Anne Takamäki because the idea of a Finnish person in Japan sounds pretty interesting.

I agree - I'm leaning more towards "Anne Takamaki" because it'd be a new kind of character in the Persona series since 3.
(Not counting Bebe... We never count Bebe.)

Maybe they'd be able to fit the freedom/oppression motif into her story that way? Something like her being ostracized from regular Japanese society because she stands out so much or something similar? (Doesn't sound like too much of a stretch)

daevious

Maybe they'd be able to fit the freedom/oppression motif into her story that way? Something like her being ostracized from regular Japanese society because she stands out so much or something similar? (Doesn't sound like too much of a stretch)

I'd be interested if they made her legally Japanese (given Japan citizenship laws dictating an all or nothing approach) but had the average citizen treat her like a foreigner because of her Caucasian appearance.

It might be expecting too much out of Atlus, but damnit I can believe.

FluxWaveZ

I'd be interested if they made her legally Japanese (given Japan citizenship laws dictating an all or nothing approach) but had the average citizen treat her like a foreigner because of her Caucasian appearance.

Xd67PCH.png

Sophia

Poor Lisa. Persona 2 worse than dead, forgotten.

I actually really liked Lisa and her story arc, because it dealt with some pretty powerful stuff that's actually relevant to modern Japan. Which makes it all the more impressive when you realize that Persona 2 came out in 1999.

Weiss

Banned

I was joking.

I think it's fairly likely at this point that Anne is either fully Caucasian or biracial. Ryuji's obviously dyed his hair ala Kanji and Yuka, so it'd be redundant to have two characters do it, Takamaki is a Finnish name (that I mistakenly assumed was Japanese), and she seems to have naturally blue eyes.

Plus Lisa's struggles with fitting into Japanese society both as an outsider and through her father's insistence she act a specific way was awesome, so I think it'd be cool to see it further explored in a game about social constraints.

kiyoaki

One of Japan's more prominent foreign-born citizens is actually Finnish by birth, so I wonder if Atlus were thinking about him when they created Anne's character. (Assuming the Finnish Anne theory holds true, of course).

Weiss

Banned
So I was pathetic enough to look it up and, for the life of me, I cannot find any use of "Takamaki" as a Japanese surname. Googling it only brings up Anne/Anzu and a few pages about a Finnish writer with the same name.

I think we might be on to something.

Hasn't Anne's name been written in Japanese media using kanji characters? I thought katakana was used when writing foreign names, which was part of the debate surrounding her nationality/intended name.

kiyoaki

I think Takamaki spelled 高牧 is common enough as a Japanese family name. Googling it as 高巻 (which is the spelling for Anne's name) gives me mostly Persona fan pages as well as this (potentially symbolic, lol) gem:
沢登りで,登高困難な場所を避けて山腹に道をとり,その場所の上に遠回りして出ること。
Roughly: "Takamaki" is a technical term employed to describe a technique of evading dangerous spots when climbing up a mountain with steep gorges and waterfalls by taking a detour via the mountainside.

Sophia

Doesn't she have the French flag on her clothes?

Same colors, yes. Although her outfit also has the same colors in the opposite order of the flag.

Hasn't Anne's name been written in Japanese media using kanji characters? I thought katakana was used when writing foreign names, which was part of the debate surrounding her nationality/intended name.

The weapons dealer writes her name as 高巻 杏.

The "杏" that represents her first name could be read in any number of ways, although the most common ones are "An" "Anzu" and "Anne"

Sophia

Since we're using [Redacted] for
Adachi,
do we do the same for
ikutsuki?

Erm, why don't you just use spoiler tags? We don't really need a special tag for every antagonist name. Just mark what it is (I.E. "P3 Antagonist" or "P4 Antagonist" or "SMT 2 Antagonist") and put it under spoilers. :\

Well, forget what i said yesterday, i started P4 (vanilla)...

Is it a common opinion to think that the voice actress for Chie is absolutely horrible or am i alone?

Yomidi

I recently started playing P4G. It's my first Persona and I'm really enjoying it so far. Love the music and the characters.

Jachaos

I like Golden's Chie voice better than Vanilla's but it might be because I played P4G and have only heard Vanilla's from Giant Bomb's Endurance Run.

I recently started playing P4G. It's my first Persona and I'm really enjoying it so far. Love the music and the characters.

How I wish I could go back a year and a half ago to be in the same shoes you're in right now.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Well, forget what i said yesterday, i started P4 (vanilla)...

Is it a common opinion to think that the voice actress for Chie is absolutely horrible or am i alone?

I wouldn't say horrible, she just doesn't fit the character.

Chie is supposed to be spunky and upbeat, the vanilla role makes her sound too flat (and old) at times. Erin did a much better job at nailing the character.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
That's weird, I remember most people hated Golden Chie but I guess after 5 games and an anime it grew on people.

Some hated it because it was changed.

I think a lot of people heard the first few clips of Erin's rendition, more specifically, the first time you meat her. Which, I will admit, isn't the greatest, but I think direction and possibly time constraints had more to due with it. It is a bit screechy and jarring at first, but she does settle into the role. (IIRC she said they did all three recording sessions for Golden, Arena and the anime at around the same time)

Dantis

I think Erin's Chie is too over the top. She's meant to be enthusiastic, not hyperactive.
Her voice also doesn't fit with the mellow performances that the other actors give.

That said, I think Erin is a great actress in other games, and I think she's a really cool person in real life.

I loathed New Chie at first. It was so jarring.

She grew on me though. She has some bad line readings early in the game and I still mostly prefer Tracey Rooney, but she grew on me.

Makio

but I fucking love how Chie is voiced. The girl who voiced her seems chill too.

I dont know if is just for the show , but that lady is basically a Persona fan too ... she always posting Persona fan art in twitter and facebook , got the games and even she was in the first row watching the concert of Lotus Juice , Hirata and Kawamura got in USA the last year.

I played the vanilla Persona 4 , the voice of Chie i dont like it but i dont hate it i just like "one more of the cast" for me.

And i always say Fitzgerald sounds awful in the first months of Golden , but later in the game and spinoffs she nailed it.

And Chie started to grow as character for thanks to Fitzgerald work , she give it "life" to that girl.

(Is funny how we always have this P4 Vanilla Chie vs Golden Chie argument in any OT).

CorvoSol

I actually really liked Lisa and her story arc, because it dealt with some pretty powerful stuff that's actually relevant to modern Japan. Which makes it all the more impressive when you realize that Persona 2 came out in 1999.

Nobody remembers Lisa because whenever you bring up P2IS love interests they only want to talk about the repugnant waste of space and utter disappointment of a follow up to the Glorious Goddes that is Yukino that was Jun Kraposo.

I didn't count Maya because Tatsuya is her crap love interest in P2EP. KATSUYA FOREVER BITCHES.

A lot of people say that whatever game you played first, that's the Chie you like most.

And yet, I played P4 Vanilla first and like P4G Chie SO MUCH MORE!!

It just fits the character perfectly, in the upbeat moments and in the sombre moments too.

Vanilla Chie always, ALWAYS felt like she was reading from a script, whereas Erins Chie, in my opinion, IS EXACTLY how Chie was always meant to sound!

Andrefpvs

I think Erin's Chie is too over the top. She's meant to be enthusiastic, not hyperactive.
Her voice also doesn't fit with the mellow performances that the other actors give.

That said, I think Erin is a great actress in other games, and I think she's a really cool person in real life.

I mostly agree with Dantis here. I prefer Erin's Chie as a whole, but I can't claim to love those over the top moments. They kind of bother me, actually. It's just a bit too much.

Now, "mellow" Chie? Y'know, when she's concerned, pensative, romantic, etc? My goodness, Erin absolutely nails those moments. It's like music to my ears.

Makio

And yet, I played P4 Vanilla first and like P4G Chie SO MUCH MORE!

Vanilla Chie always, ALWAYS felt like she was reading from a script, whereas Erins Chie, in my opinion, IS EXACTLY how Chie was always meant to sound!

Exactly my case

.------

And for the love of god , if they are going to show Persona 5 in TGS show something new , new gameplay or some other aspects of the game
No other animated cutscenes (little gameplay shots mixed) teasing trailer ....

I want to know how the game is going to look like when i played , dungeons , mechanics , battles ,hud and shit...

But of course believe in something like that is wishful thought.

(Im happy with the PV02 with some release date at least).

FluxWaveZ

Here's my opinion: Will the real Naoto Shirogane please stand up.

I don't get why there are two different dates for the P4D Official Visual Book. Famitsu says August 31, yet all the retailers say September 11. Not sure what's going on.

And for Persona 5, Atlus Japan would opt to show nothing before they ever showed PV02 at TGS as though it was new. An extended version of the trailer like they did for SMT IV would be the closer, more realistic alternative.

Now, "mellow" Chie? Y'know, when she's concerned, pensative, romantic, etc? My goodness, Erin absolutely nails those moments. It's like music to my ears.

Erin fucking nailed those moments, I wish she had brought more of that to her overall performance. There's some lines where I'm just like, why didn't they rerecord that? Because I know she can do so much better. It's just kinda inconsistent.

daevious

I mostly agree with Dantis here. I prefer Erin's Chie as a whole, but I can't claim to love those over the top moments. They kind of bother me, actually. It's just a bit too much.

Erin's Chie works better when she tones her energy down about 3 notches. Her energy is good, but she really overdoes it at points, like with her performance of Midori in Devil Survivor.

Japan is very lucky to have kept the entire seiyuu cast for P4 throughout all of its spinoffs. I'm a bit jealous.

Aren't seiyuu's pretty loyal in Japan? In the way that characters rarely change voice actors.

Edit: The English cast of P3 also didn't change heavily right?

Makio

Edit: The English cast of P3 also didn't change heavily right?

They change Fuuka and Ken in the spinoffs but nobody notice (or and) care. or at least dont lose their minds like with the p4 ones.

For some reason the original Fuuka VA gets some hate (which i think is okay) and Wendee Lee is bae... so im happy with that change.

And Ken i didnt notice until someone point out Ken in Ultimax is Cindy Robinson (Labrys) and not the original one ... i forgot her name.

I loathed New Chie at first. It was so jarring.

She grew on me though. She has some bad line readings early in the game and I still mostly prefer Tracey Rooney, but she grew on me.

Same. I like her fine now, but it was an adjustment. Vanilla Chie willwill always be the 1 tru Chie in my heart tho </3

Top Bottom