• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I'll gladly take one... but only after Persona 5 is out. : |
I've played it enough waiting for P5 that I've had my fill and wouldn't have an interest for a while anyways

Maybe after P5 and another palate cleanser a la Catherine.
If you don't know by now that Elizabeth's an optional boss and one of the most feared characters in the series, this miiight not be the best topic to be in.
Unfortunately in the modern internet culture, people have become obsessed about spoilers and they refuse to acknowledge statues of limitations on them anymore.

cj_iwakura

That doesn't apply to this thread, cj. Please make sure to properly mark spoilers.

I really don't consider that a spoiler, and I've always said this thread is way too paranoid about that. No other Persona community I post in cares about keeping that stuff under wraps.

Sophia

Tell that to [REDACTED]
I feel the same about that. It's old news by now.

We actually had someone outright say a mere 20-30 posts before this that they haven't played Persona 4 Golden.

Well I am getting close to finishing Persona 3 Portable playing as the female MC. I'm now in January so I should finish it in the next couple days. It's my first time playing a Persona game and second SMT game, SMT IV was my first. It's definitely a fun game, the social link feature is fun, but it doesn't really feel like dating to me. I like the non-romance S-Links better anyway, where it feels like they open up to you about their problems like the Monk and the Young girl at the shrine, I also like walking the dog too.

The one thing I liked better in SMTIV was the demon fusion. I spent a long time trying to get all the demons, which felt a bit like Pokemon which is why I liked it. I didn't feel the need to be such a completionist in this game.

I'm looking forward to playing Persona 4 Golden, which is sitting on my shelf, but I will probably wait until later this year, because I still need to finish Radiant Historia and Final Fantasy X, which I should do before starting it.

Persona 5 looks good too but my PS3 broke and I don't have a PS4, but I would rather play it on handheld anyway.

Without further information from this poster, we have no way of knowing if they've played vanilla Persona 4 or not. Therefore if we allowed that spoiler because "it's old news", they could have very well been spoiled. I'd say that's a fantastic argument for erring on the side of caution instead of going with your gut instinct and cruelly assuming that nobody cares about it anymore. :p

There are dimwits on the internet who have gotten mad at me for spoiling things in FFVII. A twenty year old game. Not too surprising that people are sensitive about spoilers for a game that's only half the age, silly though that might be.

cj_iwakura

There are dimwits on the internet who have gotten mad at me for spoiling things in FFVII. A twenty year old game. Not too surprising that people are sensitive about spoilers for a game that's only half the age, silly though that might be.

P3's optional boss has no bearing on the story whatsoever. It was a cool surprise ten years ago, but not so much now.

Sophia

Guys, it has nothing to do with "internet spoiler culture", and everything to do with the fact that the community thread is intended for newcomers and veterans alike. Certainly, a bonus boss by definition qualifies as an end-game gameplay spoiler. And (P3 Spoilers)
Elizabeth actually has some minor but noticeable story significance anyhow...

I think you two owe Funyarinpa an apology, IMO. That was totally uncalled for. You didn't just spoil it for him, but were outright dismissive towards him. :\

cj_iwakura

I think you two owe Funyarinpa an apology, IMO. That was totally uncalled for. You didn't just spoil it for him, but were outright dismissive towards him. :\

I didn't know he hadn't played P3, and I was stating that I didn't consider it a spoiler. That said, I meant no offense.

TimmiT

Just because a game is old doesn't mean everyone has played it. In fact, it being so old likely means a lot of people now online haven't played it. Like you said, FFVII is twenty years old. So what about everyone who's about twenty years old now? Do you expect all of those people to have played it? Or do you go "woops you should have played this game that came out when you weren't even born yet."?

Also, it really isn't that hard to use spoiler tags.

cj_iwakura

Just because a game is old doesn't mean everyone has played it. In fact, it being so old likely means a lot of people now online haven't played it. Like you said, FFVII is twenty years old. So what about everyone who's about twenty years old now? Do you expect all of those people to have played it? Or do you go "woops you should have played this game that came out when you weren't even born yet."?

What I said was the equivalent of saying that Ruby Weapon is an optional boss, not Aerith dying. The new optional bosses were practically bullet points in P3P.

We actually had someone outright say a mere 20-30 posts before this that they haven't played Persona 4 Golden.

Without further information from this poster, we have no way of knowing if they've played vanilla Persona 4 or not. Therefore if we allowed that spoiler because "it's old news", they could have very well been spoiled. I'd say that's a fantastic argument for erring on the side of caution instead of going with your gut instinct and cruelly assuming that nobody cares about it anymore. :p

I have never played any version of Persona 4, and surprisingly I have managed to stay mostly in dark about the story of the game and I only know a few of the characters names, so I will mostly be going in blind. I just know that the game is highly praised here and I read a few places that said I should play Persona 3 before I play 4. Since I got Persona 3 for $5 when it was on sale I waited to pick up a physical copy of P4G when it was on sale for $15.

I hope I like the characters in P4 as much as in P3 but I think I read that you can't play as a female main character in either P4 or the new Persona 5. That kind of disappoints me because I usually pick the female choice if it is an option.

Sophia

I have never played any version of Persona 4, and surprisingly I have managed to stay mostly in dark about the story of the game and I only know a few of the characters names, so I will mostly be going in blind. I just know that the game is highly praised here and I read a few places that said I should play Persona 3 before I play 4. Since I got Persona 3 for $5 when it was on sale I waited to pick up a physical copy of P4G when it was on sale for $15.

I hope I like the characters in P4 as much as in P3 but I think I read that you can't play as a female main character in either P4 or the new Persona 5. That kind of disappoints me because I usually pick the female choice if it is an option.

Hopefully you can manage to stay spoiler free the entire way then! Persona 4's a real treat. While people may argue over which of the two games are better, it's no denying that Persona 4 has the same level of writing as it's predecessor.

Bowlie

Banned
What I said was the equivalent of saying that Ruby Weapon is an optional boss, not Aerith dying. The new optional bosses were practically bullet points in P3P.

I have not played FFVII, but does this Ruby Weapon appear throughout the game? Even if it did, what's meaningful to you in a game may not be to another person and vice versa; it's not hard to understand.
I did not know Elizabeth was a boss, and would be pretty interested to see why does that happen after all those dates.

I also have not played P4 and I'd really wish to go in blind. The only thing I know is that P4 looks more colorful and upbeat from the images I saw.

edit: hi PersonaGAF!

I expect to be able to talk freely about pieces of entertainment once they hit a certain age. Anti-spoiler culture really only hit its peak with the introduction of the Internet. In years past, people were far more reasonable about them.

Anyways, I do use spoiler tags, I'm just expressing my irritation with the anti-spoiler culture of the Internet. In the past five or so years it's run rampant and rapidly becoming ridiculous.

P3's optional boss has no bearing on the story whatsoever. It was a cool surprise ten years ago, but not so much now.

I started P3 September 30th, 2014. The game was certainly new to me, i hadn't heard Persona until the day before. You can't really judge based on time when new people discover it all the time.

I'm with you on this, but we have the entirety of Internet spoiler culture against us unfortunately.

It's just being considerate around people who haven't played the games, and Persona isn't exactly well known outside of it's demographic. It's no Final Fantasy.

Also spoiler tagging isn't hard.
There's even a button,
how easy is that?

Hopefully you can manage to stay spoiler free the entire way then! Persona 4's a real treat. While people may argue over which of the two games are better, it's no denying that Persona 4 has the same level of writing as it's predecessor.
Well I probably won't spend much time in this thread. I just thought I would share a first timers perspective. When I was reading about SMTIV I saw that Kushinada-Hime is in P4G and I am looking forward to using that persona. I never figured out how to get it SMTIV and it is my favorite design, of the ones I've seen.

I have not played FFVII, but does this Ruby Weapon appear throughout the game? Even if it did, what's meaningful to you in a game may not be to another person and vice versa; it's not hard to understand.
I did not know Elizabeth was a boss, and would be pretty interested to see why does that happen after all those dates.

I also have not played P4 and I'd really wish to go in blind. The only thing I know is that P4 looks more colorful and upbeat from the images I saw.

edit: hi PersonaGAF!

Welcome to the thread. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Bowlie

Banned
Thank you.

Right now I'm looking for a copy of Eternal Punishment. I played Innocent Sin last year and it became the best Persona game for me, which sucks beacuse I really wanna see what happens next.

After that, P4!

TimmiT

I expect to be able to talk freely about pieces of entertainment once they hit a certain age. Anti-spoiler culture really only hit its peak with the introduction of the Internet. In years past, people were far more reasonable about them.

Anyways, I do use spoiler tags, I'm just expressing my irritation with the anti-spoiler culture of the Internet. In the past five or so years it's run rampant and rapidly becoming ridiculous.

That's because before the internet, big online forums and social media websites where people can easily get spoiled weren't a thing. Back then you were probably talking about games to people who already played what you're talking about. Now you're making posts on a forum and there's no way of knowing for you if someone who is reading your post has already played the game you're talking about.

Also, I don't see you denying anything I just said about how fiction being a certain age doesn't make it okay to spoil stuff about it to people. :V

Ekai

I'm with you on this, but we have the entirety of Internet spoiler culture against us unfortunately.

This is the first Persona Gaf I've gone into but if it's this toxic to new-comers to the series then I can see it's not a very pleasant place to be. Guess I'll discuss the older Personas and any other Persona news elsewhere.

Thank you.

Right now I'm looking for a copy of Eternal Punishment. I played Innocent Sin last year and it became the best Persona game for me, which sucks beacuse I really wanna see what happens next.

After that, P4!

You can get it on PSN for 10 dollars. Unfortunately there is no localized copy of the PSP version. Innocent Sin is the best for me as well. And Eternal Punishment is shaping up to be just as good.

cj_iwakura

You can get it on PSN for 10 dollars. Unfortunately there is no localized copy of the PSP version. Innocent Sin is the best for me as well. And Eternal Punishment is shaping up to be just as good.

EP PSP has a fan translation in the works, some nutcase from here is editing it.

I'd give it probably a few months.

Ekai

EP PSP has a fan translation in the works, some nutcase from here is editing it.

I'd give it probably a few months.

It's been in the process of being translated for quite a while. Few of these translation projects ever get done. I'm happy when they do but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's just being considerate around people who haven't played the games, and Persona isn't exactly well known outside of it's demographic. It's no Final Fantasy.

Also spoiler tagging isn't hard.
There's even a button,
how easy is that?
Sure, and like I said, there are whiners who will complain even if you "spoil" a plot point that's culturally well-known like Aerith's death in FFVII. So, like I said, it's no surprise that people want spoiler tags around Persona, even if I think they're dumb. I'll use the tags, always have, but I'm also free to think they're silliness.

cj_iwakura

It's been in the process of being translated for quite a while. Few of these translation projects ever get done. I'm happy when they do but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm that nutcase. EP is my second favorite RPG ever. It will get done.

Hanulinen

Neo Member
Hello, PersonaGAF!

Whenever I'm starving for Persona 5 news, I lurk here reading your conversations. Now after 4 months of waiting, my account is finally valid and I can join in.

I've played P3P FemC version and Persona 4 Golden and I loved them both so much! Persona 5 is easily my most anticipated game for the year. Unfortunately I'm European. (Though I could always import it from the US) But luckily I'm fairly confident with my Japanese, (only struggling with complex kanji (Not Tatsumi)) so I'll be playing in the summer!

It seems like one trailer can keep me "fed" about three months, because during the last few weeks I've again been SUPER starved for new P5 info. So starved that I've resorted to watching far-fetched fan theory videos on YouTube.
To kill time I've considered playing P3P again, this time the male route, and I wanted to ask if it's worth it. I REALLY dislike the repetitive dungeons on both Persona games I played and I've understood from your conversations that the original S. Links (are easily the best part of these games) with the male protagonist are far inferior to the ones on the FemC route.

(And since everyone needs to pick their best girls and guys, I'll go with Naoto and Akihiko. They are both so adorable!)

Hello, PersonaGAF!

Whenever I'm starving for Persona 5 news, I lurk here reading your conversations. Now after 4 months of waiting, my account is finally valid and I can join in.

I've played P3P FemC version and Persona 4 Golden and I loved them both so much! Persona 5 is easily my most anticipated game for the year. Unfortunately I'm European. (Though I could always import it from the US) But luckily I'm fairly confident with my Japanese, (only struggling with complex kanji (Not Tatsumi)) so I'll be playing in the summer!

It seems like one trailer can keep me "fed" about three months, because during the last few weeks I've again been SUPER starved for new P5 info. So starved that I've resorted to watching far-fetched fan theory videos on YouTube.
To kill time I've considered playing P3P again, this time the male route, and I wanted to ask if it's worth it. I REALLY dislike the repetitive dungeons on both Persona games I played and I've understood from your conversations that the original S. Links (are easily the best part of these games) with the male protagonist are far inferior to the ones on the FemC route.

(And since everyone needs to pick their best girls and guys, I'll go with Naoto and Akihiko. They are both so adorable!)

Still, plenty of people have trouble wrapping their heads around Kanji's character.

Welcome to PersonaGAF.

Top Bottom