• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I've never watched either of the P4 animes, why the fuck is Chie slapping Ai around?

Ai has a crush on Kou
Kou has a crush on Chie
Ai is "dating" Narukami
Yosuke thinks Chie is jealous of this
Yosuke signs Chie up to help the basketball team, trying to set her up with Narukami
Ai doesn't like this, because Chie is now closer to Kou
Ai yells at Chie because Kou likes her
Chie yells at Ai because shes treating Narukami like crap
Slap fight

Makio

Ai has a crush on Kou
Kou has a crush on Chie
Ai is "dating" Narukami
Yosuke signs Chie up to help the basketball team, trying to set her up with Narukami
Slap fight

Just like my mexican "telenovelas" .... lol

Ai has a crush on Kou
Kou has a crush on Chie
Ai is "dating" Narukami
Slap fight

Wow!
The collision of four relationships! All of which I hate!
:D

Zolo

I still remember when I got to that part in Ai's social link where Kou admits to liking Chie like a week after I started going out with her myself, and all I could think was 'Dude....'. Even funnier because he talked about being jealous about me sitting next to her while I was already going out with her. Apparently, the MC likes to keep his relationships secret.

I still remember when I got to that part in Ai's social link where Kou admits to liking Chie like a week after I started going out with her myself, and all I could think was 'Dude....'. Even funnier because he talked about being jealous about me sitting next to her while I was already going out with her. Apparently, the MC likes to keep his relationships secret.

Yeah, that always kind of irked me.

Gotta keep it a secret for those potential harem players, I guess. :/

edit: The only time I remember relationships being acknowledged by other characters outside of cheating was
on the last day of P3, where Kaz makes a comment about Yuko. Though I could be wrong about that, it's been a while.

That's another thing I hope will be rectified in P5 (but I doubt it). All of the meat of relationships occur in a vacuum in P3 & P4. If the game could address things like that I think it'd be a step forward.

cj_iwakura

That's another thing I hope will be rectified in P5 (but I doubt it). All of the meat of relationships occur in a vacuum in P3 & P4. If the game could address things like that I think it'd be a step forward.

Try in every RPG ever. You could count on one hand RPGs where relationships actually play out during a game.

There might not be any.

Squire

Banned
One day I was coming home from school and because I didn't have anything to listen to, I fell asleep for a few minutes on the bus. A nice older later sat next to me, which was of course fine, she just startled me a little. I sort of jerked awake and apologized when I noticed her and she said it was fine. She starts making light conversation with me and then goes on to her children and what she does for a living until her stop comes up and she says goodbye.

Now my own mother (who is also a nice older lady) has a couple of ideas for why this happens (it's happened a couple times):

1) I have a nice face and am very obviously a nice young man.
2) It can be easier to talk to, even open up to strangers rather than people you know.

I think the criticism that your love interest exists in a vacuum is, while totally valid, a little overdone because P4 is very much about having relationships with characters based on reason #2. Basically all of your relationships exist in a vacuum, to some extent if not fully, and it works pretty well, even if it might not be intentional (which I'm not ruling out.)

In a piece of fiction that very cleverly and also blatantly emphasizes how worried people are about how they're viewed by others, Yu is the nice young man, the quiet stranger, the unassuming teen; he's not even an Inaba local, so who really cares what he thinks?

I think it makes the wide birth of relationships you have via the S.Links more believable and I shudder to think of the logistics of tying that stuff together. And really, I'm just not convinced that's even necessary. Even restricting it to your romance, you'd more than likely get generic scenes rather than character specific ones, which means Atlus isn't writing a scene involving Yosuke, Yu, and (Chie), but rather Yosuke, Yu, and (Girlfriend). I don't see that being much more satisfying in practice than what we have now.

Then again, they're obviously not at all lazy with the volume of writing in these games, so maybe they would/will. With P4 specifically though, the above is why I personally have never been taken out of the experience.

PK Gaming

One day I was coming home from school and because I didn't have anything to listen to, I fell asleep for a few minutes on the bus. A nice older later sat next to me, which was of course fine, she just startled me a little. I sort of jerked awake and apologized when I noticed her and she said it was fine. She starts making light conversation with me and then goes on to her children and what she does for a living until her stop comes up and she says goodbye.

Now my own mother (who is also a nice older lady) has a couple of ideas for why this happens (it's happened a couple times):

2) It can be easier to talk to, even open up to strangers rather than people you know.

I think the criticism that your love interest exists in a vacuum is, while totally valid, a little overdone because P4 is very much about having relationships with characters based on reason #2. Basically all of your relationships exist in a vacuum, to some extent if not fully, and it works pretty well, even if it might not be intentional (which I'm not ruling out.)

In a piece of fiction that very cleverly and also blatantly emphasizes how worried people are about how they're viewed by others, Yu is the nice young man, the quiet stranger, the unassuming teen; he's not even an Inaba local, so who really cares what he thinks?

I think it makes the wide birth of relationships you have via the S.Links more believable and I shudder to think of the logistics of tying that stuff together. And really, I'm just not convinced that's even necessary. Even restricting it to your romance, you'd more than likely get generic scenes rather than character specific ones, which means Atlus isn't writing a scene involving Yosuke, Yu, and (Chie), but rather Yosuke, Yu, and (Girlfriend). I don't see that being much more satisfying in practice than what we have now.

Then again, they're obviously not at all lazy with the volume of writing in these games, so maybe they would/will. With P4 specifically though, the above is why I personally have never been taken out of the experience.

Well said

It's also worth noting that P4G alters dialogue in a few occasions based on who you're dating. It's great.

Wall o' Text

Ideally, in this case, it wouldn't be Yosuke, Yu, and (Girlfriend), it would be Yosuke, Yu, and (Chie*).

Just a few alterations or additions to dialog in certain scenes, not replacing the writing with "Wow, I am SUCH a love interest who is romantically affiliated with protag!", that would be silly.

That said, I do agree that it can be easy to open up to strangers as opposed to people you have a history with.

Persona drawing again, only like four left after this:
tumblr_o5wzc1AkjP1tt73w0o2_1280.png

tumblr_o5wzc1AkjP1tt73w0o1_1280.png

Persona drawing again, only like four left after this:

Ooooh. Very good!
and surprisingly fitting. :)

Nice. I especially like how you kept the Angel motif from Shadow Nanako and kiddified it.

Also bonus points for Nanako actually being usable as a navigator in PQ, so it's pretty easy to imagine her in the role.

Uh... that wasn't Nanako's Shadow. It was barely
Namatame's.
Unless this is some anime-only stuff I missed?

Squire

Banned
Ideally, in this case, it wouldn't be Yosuke, Yu, and (Girlfriend), it would be Yosuke, Yu, and (Chie*).

Just a few alterations or additions to dialog in certain scenes, not replacing the writing with "Wow, I am SUCH a love interest who is romantically affiliated with protag!", that would be silly.

That said, I do agree that it can be easy to open up to strangers as opposed to people you have a history with.

I mean, you sort of took what I said and repeated it to me. Ideally it would be that, yes, but then you have to commit to writing specific, unique scenes more or less, which they may not want to do. It's the logistics and their response to them that aren't a guarantee.

The think that made it jarring for me was some S Links, the personality was much different from the S Link to the day-to-day conversation. I understand the whole thing about showing different people different sides of your personality, but i'd like if characters dropped little hints to show you were a bit closer in story scenes. In P3P, i had talked to Aigis a couple times in Tartarus after doing Social Links with her, and she had responses based on if i went out with her that day, which made me feel even closer to her character. I don't think there's an easy way to make this happen, but it would be awesome if there was more acknowledgement with close friends/ people you're dating outside of social links in story scenes.

Window sounds plausible if they start marketing soonish, and it should be before the anniversary on 20th September going by the last interview.

I almost hope it isn't the real release date, because it will get buried like all hell if it's releasing that close to Final FantasyXV. Beseria is double fucked if it's true.
If it released at the end of August/beginning of September I believe there would be enough time between the two for it not to be a problem.

Zolo

July would probably be the ideal time to release without much competition as far as I know, but late august to early September probably wouldn't be too bad.

Mediking

I almost hope it isn't the real release date, because it will get buried like all hell if it's releasing that close to Final FantasyXV. Beseria is double fucked if it's true.

Never worry about sales for JRPGS (especially console JRPGS) because it's depressing.

Setsu00

Fiveman = 5
Sentai = Featherman = Persona

I can see the connection. Not sure about the how the umbrella part fits though.

Yellow children's umbrella

Yellow = Persona 4
children = "the next generation"
-> The next generation of Persona

When do games usually come out in Japan?

Setsu00

So I do have an idea regarding the umbrella, but it is admittedly incredibly and utterly farfetched. I'm not serious at all, even though it is based on "facts". I just found out that the last four Persona games (P4A, PQ, P4AU, P4D) were released on a Thursday which leads me to the assumption that P5 might be released on a Thursday as well.

This is where the umbrella comes into play. Umbrella means "kasa" in Japanese and is written with this kanji: 傘. The kanji itself consists of basically two elements, 人 (x5, meaning "one person") and 十 (meaning "ten"). If you break these up and line them up, you get this: 人+人+人+人+人+十. And then you can subsitute the kanji with their meanings which leads us to this: 1+1+1+1+1+10 = 15.

Taking into consideration that the game in question is supposed to released between Tales of Berseria (August 18) and Final Fantasy XV (September 30), there is exactly one possibility for a 15 in there: September 15, 2016. That day also happens to be a Thursday, so it lines up with the other games.

Tl;dr: Persona 5 comes out on September 15, 2016. Please don't kill me.

There's actually at least one argument that points to September 15, 2016 that wasn't arbitrarily derived from a Japanese character. Persona celebrates its 20th anniversary on September 20, 2016 (Five days later). Hashino also hinted that P5 would come out before the anniversary

Lunar15

@ Green Mamba: Excellent as always. I enjoy your thinking behind the personas as much as the drawings themselves.

@Setsu00: I could see that, but I'm not sure the tease specifically means anything relating to persona. I still say it's the week of September 1st for completely arbitrary reasons.

Top Bottom