• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Scratch that, only Punchy. Though I guess that could work for the guy, as well.

Aside: The nicknames that have become associated with unnamed Persona 5 characters are pretty great.

Takaya? Jin?

I've gone with Punchy-chan, Hacker-san, and Adieu-sama.

Also, I dont think
Takaya and Jin
were ever given ages were they?

FluxWaveZ

Also, I dont think
Takaya and Jin
were ever given ages were they?

I don't think so, but I'd like to see someone try to explain how
Takaya could be 17 or younger.

But if we're going the 100% route, both Akihiko and Mitsuru are 18 at the end of P3 and during The Answer.

Nachos

There's Shujin, then there's Kosei, and now there's the mystery guy with a different emblem with "BJ" written on it.
I saw that, but I didn't make the connection that it was an entirely separate uniform. Guess I just figured it was personalization/an alternate dress option and didn't give it much thought.

FluxWaveZ

Punchy is in the Shujin skirt on the cover though.

That's true.

I saw that, but I didn't make the connection that it was an entirely separate uniform. Guess I just figured it was personalization/an alternate dress option and didn't give it much thought.

I actually didn't think of it as a separate school other than others suggesting it (the only thing that came to mind like that was the mystery guy), so I wouldn't be certain "BJ" does represent another school.

Lunar15

Man, the fact that Atlus JP put out the E3 page has me pretty hyped. Atlus USA always holds it down, but it's often a repeat of information served up in awesome ways for the english speaking audience. The fact that the japanese site is telling japanese fans to pay attention, I think, is important. It will likely be the first event where it's playable, which is a pretty big deal.

This bodes super well for localization. People often think Atlus HQ doesn't care about the US branch or some weird nonsense like that, but this is absolute proof that it's not the case.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think you can assign any sort of method like only teenagers can summon personas in Persona 3....when you have a dog and an android summoning them too.

Man, the fact that Atlus JP put out the E3 page has me pretty hyped. Atlus USA always holds it down, but it's often a repeat of information served up in awesome ways for the english speaking audience. The fact that the japanese site is telling japanese fans to pay attention, I think, is important. It will likely be the first event where it's playable, which is a pretty big deal.
You might be right. The date listed on persona5.jp's e3 page is the first day of the actual event, after Sony's conference has been over. They must be advertising the booth.

Amazing that the Japanese police system might be explored heavily in P5. Can really be a statement on the corruption present. Amazing trailer and music.

Nachos

This bodes super well for localization. People often think Atlus HQ doesn't care about the US branch or some weird nonsense like that, but this is absolute proof that it's not the case.

I don't think people think that (hope they don't, anyway). It's just that it always seems like they're hamstrung. For P5, that first showed up with the PSX trailer being a straight rehash of the TGS 2014 one. It just flashed a bunch of names with the Japanese text much bigger than the English ones, which must've been a pain to those who saw the event in a theater; didn't translate their actual roles in the game; and promoted the Japanese site before the English one because they couldn't redo the motion graphics. The second was the whole 2015 deal.

I don't doubt for a second that the US side would be a lot more ambitious if they were allowed to be, but they simply weren't until now.

Reddit already starting a pole for best girl, people on twitter, YouTube etc. The Waifu Wars have begun once again

giphy.gif

Olengie

Can't tell if you're serious or not.

If you are, adults have summoned Personas in literally every single mainline Persona game thus far.

Because someone I was talking to was pretty adamant that adults cant use Personas, saying that as you age, you lose control such as the case with Shinji and why he needs to use drugs.

He used Trinity Souls as a source....

Going wtf the entire time

Zolo

Because someone I was talking to was pretty adamant that adults cant use Personas, saying that as you age, you lose control such as the case with Shinji and why he needs to use drugs.

He used Trinity Souls as a source....

Going wtf the entire time

Trinity Souls is non-canon.

Eylos

Banned
LoL, post the link, i want to see the result

I will decide playing the game, I like strong girls like the biker girl, but I also like alternative nerd girls, sooo I will see the actual personality and character development in the game

Lunar15

Gotta be honest, aside from MC, Ryuji, and Yusuke, none of the other characters are doing a lot for me, design wise. I'm sure they'll grow on me, though.

That said, Yusuke looks like he's gonna be a fan favorite. He's so goofy in every scene. Like wearing a hoodie sweater on the beach.

Mediking

In the trailer... there's a brief scene where we see the main guy (we need a name for him) working at the cafe. It looks really cool and I like his running animation when he ran back behind the counter.

yami4ct

Gotta be honest, aside from MC, Ryuji, and Yusuke, none of the other characters are doing a lot for me, design wise. I'm sure they'll grow on me, though.

That said, Yusuke looks like he's gonna be a fan favorite. He's so goofy in every scene. Like wearing a hoodie sweater on the beach.

Being voiced by Sugita is also gonna help a ton I suspect.

In the trailer... there's a brief scene where we see the main guy (we need a name for him) working at the cafe. It looks really cool and I like his running animation when he ran back behind the counter.

I think we get to choose between Phantom or Joker for now.

A tan would ruin his porcelain skin look that he's going for.

I don't know why. I only ever got shit for it when I was in high school. :p

PV04 around 3:10, I think I hear

And you know we were out there
Took the mask off to be free
Fought it out in our memory
Now we know that naught will change

Strimei

I think we get to choose between Phantom or Joker for now.

Joker probably works. I read elsewhere that everyone has a nickname on (presumably Sakura's?) cellphone in the video. MC is Joker, Ryuji is Skull, Yusuke is Inari. There's a Panther as well, I guess that'd be Ann. I forget what the last one was.

Zolo

Ugh....watching the scene where they apparently changed the story for #FE reminded me of how big of a difference there apparently is with that team and the other teams in Atlus. I mean, even the first Devil Survivor (and this is the same team I believe) had pretty generic writing, but dang!

Ugh....watching the scene where they apparently changed the story for #FE reminded me of how big of a difference there apparently is with that team and the other teams in Atlus. I mean, even the first Devil Survivor (and this is the same team I believe) had pretty generic writing, but dang!

Wait what? In what way? I've only heard that the story is generic as all hell.

Nachos

What does everyone think of the code names the party members get? From Sakura's phone, we have:

Joker (Confirmed to be Phantom)
Skull (Ryuji)
Queen (Confirmed to be Biker)
Panther (Confirmed to be Ann)
Inari (Probably referring to the type of fox, so Yusuke)
Noir (Frenchy?)

So far, it seems like they only refer to themselves by code name during missions. Though it's interesting that Biker's contact comes before Ann's.

Zolo

Wait what? In what way? I've only heard that the story is generic as all hell.

From what I can tell, gravure modeling was changed to regular modeling. I can see why that was changed it since telling the story of how a person should be brave enough to do a pinup shoot seems to ignore the seedier aspects

To be honest though, it just sorta reminded me of how it was announced as FE X SMT. Like....when I think of SMT, I generally think of stories that while may mostly be light-hearted still have darker elements in them. Not this case where I hear there's no criticism or deconstruction about the industry. Darker elements could be Persona's 'death' theme or dealing with people's darker issues. SMT's apocalyptic scenarios that can turn friends into enemies over ideological differences. Devil Survivor's survival scenarios and what it can turn people into to survive. Heck, we can even go back to Digital Devil Saga. This is just.....aside from the battle system (which admittedly looks fantastic), it looks like you could replace the FE characters and have a completely different series that has neither's elements. Not to mention the story and dialogue feel like it could be any other company's generic/bad writing where it feels you've seen the character plenty of other times cause the writers couldn't think of anything interesting past the usual tropes.

That said, that's just based off the very limited amount of dialogue I've seen.

asagami_

Banned
Am I crazy to think that the Inkling girl may be the daughter from a certain pair from previous Persona? She have orange hair, some hacker skills...

Mediking

Are we not gonna talk about Joker's cocky and borderline sadistic smile he has when he's being interrogated in the trailer?

kiyoaki

I just pre-ordered the 20th anniversary edition with the as yet unspecified Amazon bonus (probably some more costume DLC?). I hope the art book is worth it. A full soundtrack and a steel book would have been nice. It's expensive with the shipping, but then again it's very probably the only retail game I'm going to buy this year, and my personal swan song for the PS3.

I also think that now is a good moment for me to go on a media blackout for P5 until it arrives at my doorstep. I already know more about the party than I want to before starting the game. See you mid-september in the import thread!

yami4ct

sometimes when i see punchy i see yukiko with short hair. lol.

Maybe that's why I dig her design a ton. I think I like Anne and Frenchy a bit better, but she looks really cool as well.

Yukiko was such a fun character in Persona 4. I seem to be in the minority, but she was my favorite female cast member. Maybe I just found her particularly relatable for some odd reason.

Jintor

Maybe that's why I dig her design a ton. I think I like Anne and Frenchy a bit better, but she looks really cool as well.

Yukiko was such a fun character in Persona 4. I seem to be in the minority, but she was my favorite female cast member. Maybe I just found her particularly relatable for some odd reason.

One of my favourite extra additions in Golden is a scene of her just hanging out with Kanji at the supermarket where they discuss hair dye.

Yukiko's great when she's just goofing

Top Bottom