• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Day Breakers:

Yusuke seems to be in the party during the anime, so it must take place a reasonable way into the game, since it doesn't seem like he's an initial party member.

Do you think it might be a compilation of random adventures to introduce the characters. Think that might be a safe route because it wouldn't technically spoil anything about the game but still have space to tell a proper story.

Mediking

dl0dUYO.png

Ann's reaction right here is pure gold. Can't wait to meet the crew and figure out everybody!

Setsu00

Do you think it might be a compilation of random adventures to introduce the characters. Think that might be a safe route because it wouldn't technically spoil anything about the game but still have space to tell a proper story.

The anime apparently ties into a subplot of the game. At least that's what Hashino said.

84X

Banned
I'm aware of that, but that doesn't really excuse the scene. Atlus probably knows that this kind of stuff sells to the otaku audience and since otakus are usually reliable costumers, it makes sense to pander to them from a business perspective. I doubt that there are many scenes like that one in the game, but it's a trend that pops up in a lot of recent Atlus games and its starting to annoy me.

I'm also not sure how Western markets will react to scenes like this one. If P5 does indeed appear on Sony's stage during E3, they should probably refrain from repeating that scene or a similiar one.

For what it's worth, the one brief clip of P4D shown during Sony's game montage last E3 had Kanami dancing in her swimsuit of all things. Obviously P5 is a much bigger deal but I still don't think they're going to be too concerned.

Squire

Banned
For what it's worth, the one brief clip of P4D shown during Sony's game montage last E3 had Kanami dancing in her swimsuit of all things. Obviously P5 is a much bigger deal but I still don't think they're going to be too concerned.

I think we're overthinking it more than they ever would/will.

It'll be a trailer. It'll have P5 in it. They will move on. So will we.

I still don't understand the surprise to revealing Sakura's face. Everyone sees the rest of her body already, i'd imagine the characters would be more shocked from seeing a girl in a bikini than her face

Makes me wonder what's up with that scene...like her face is a secret. Is there something that happened before in the game we don't know about that makes them shocked to see her face?

I still don't understand the surprise to revealing Sakura's face. Everyone sees the rest of her body already, i'd imagine the characters would be more shocked from seeing a girl in a bikini than her face

Makes me wonder what's up with that scene...like her face is a secret. Is there something that happened before in the game we don't know about that makes them shocked to see her face?
The way I took it was that it was Sakura's face. They hadnt yet put a body to the face. The whole "Surprised sakura is this hot" reaction

Setsu00

Maybe they never met before? Sakura doesn't wear a school uniform and the beach scene is sort of implied to happen in Hawaii due to the airplane.

Lusankya

Well, it's cut in a very weird way, so it could be something or someone else entirely.

I am pretty sure they don't look this way just because they see Sakura in a bikini. Unless it's the first time they actually see her in person (but even then the looks don't really match that type of surprise; for anime standards she is not even good looking).

Maybe someone pull a prank on and drew on her face causing the shock face to appear .which is why you see the biker girl helping her out.

Lunar15

Prevailing theory is that they haven't actually seen her face at that point (she's merely an online persona until that point), but I'm not sure if that lines up.

Honestly, everything's too chopped up to tell. It's guaranteed to be a scene where the boys watch as all the girls come out of the changing rooms, but as to why the reactions are what they are and who they refer to is odd.

Look, boys being attracted to cute girls isn't unusual or bad. It's just the insistence on doing this in every game and using the female characters as eye candy. It often isn't a huge deal because it's a smaller part of a bigger game, but I do wonder how they're going to balance that with the themes explored in the Castle dungeon where, (potential spoilers):
The Boss seems to be a gym teacher who ogles females or stalks them or something like that. It could be something about owning your own sexuality, but that's kind of weird when transposed against a lot of scenes clearly designed to play up sex appeal of the female characters.

Squire

Banned

PV04 shows her coming off as pretty diabolical when she's in the safety of her bedroom behind a keyboard. That's presumable where her first interactions with the group take place. They probably don't even immediately know that she's a girl and the same age as them, at that. But in that beach scene, you see she's rather innocent-looking at first-glance. That might even be the first time they physically meat her in person.

And of course that duality of who someone is depending on whether their mask is on/off is very Persona and very P5 in particular.

Lunar15

I wonder how much has changed since the first gameplay trailer. It's hard to tell since we saw so little. I think the Battle setup changed a small amount: there's shots where they've surrounded the enemies, but everything we've seen in current footage has them lined up and facing them in a more traditional way. But it could have been tied to all out attacks, it's hard to tell.

I think my biggest fear is that those menus have changed. I want those menus.

I thought that about the surrounding the enemies at first, but going back to watch, I think it's a mix of selective cuts and advantage/aoa's. Entering combat does look different though.

One difference that did stand out to me was the lack of button prompts during the platforming in PV1, whilst equivalent segments do have them in PV4. Could just be hidden for the trailer though.

Considering the menus in PV4 though, I wouldn't worry about those.

Looking at the combat though, it does seem safe to say that characters are much less animated than in #FE, although in part due to the camera and how battle are presented.

Lunar15

So on the video that translates the UI elements, we can finally see what that menu with the MC falling down is, and it's what we thought:
A post infiltration report. It looks like we have multiple objectives in each dungeon, and achieving some of the objectives unlocks more of them. Definitely doesn't seem like a simple point A to point B setup like the previous games.

Also, everything we've seen so far implies that each of the dungeons requires an escape route and some kind of escape sequence.

Objective missions makes feel like dungeons might be more Zelda like in design, with more exploration and backtracking when you unlock new areas, things like that, rather than a straight linear progression.

And of course with the objectives to measure progress when you chose to leave and return.

Hadn't noticed the thing about the escape route though, that sounds neat.

Sophia

UI translation also shows some other cool stuff: When on the field, L1 to Third-Eye, Square to Auto-Cover, and R2 to Dash.

Looks like the stealth aspects might be more designed than we thought.

Strimei

So on the video that translates the UI elements, we can finally see what that menu with the MC falling down is, and it's what we thought:
A post infiltration report. It looks like we have multiple objectives in each dungeon, and achieving some of the objectives unlocks more of them. Definitely doesn't seem like a simple point A to point B setup like the previous games.

Also, everything we've seen so far implies that each of the dungeons requires an escape route and some kind of escape sequence.

Wow, nice job whoever did that.

-Against the boss around 1:11, it says "End Kamoshida Carefully" / "Take Care of Kamoshida". That there are three names in the upper left make me think that's the names of the three enemies. Maybe a choice? Granted, both kind of sound "final" but "Take care of "can also mean to...well, take care of.

One interesting point that I noticed in the translated UI is during the first fight seen in the trailer, Morgana has the word "Dispatched" over her health/SP area.

Considering you can still see her in the shot, I wonder what that means?

The most potentially interesting thing in the UI translation video is that during the king boss fight there are two objectives on screen
"End Kamoshida carefully" and "Take care of Kamoshida", maybe they aren't actually separate objectives but if they are I wonder if they actually result in different outcomes to the fight.

Squire

Banned

I love that
GTA V had all this hype for its heists, they turned out to be linear missions the same as anything else, and now a JRPG is going to make things right.

Although one of the other videos has the objectives as "Defeat Kamoshida" and "Grab Kamoshida's Attention"

Thought that was potentially just a translation thing, wasn't aware there were other translations floating around. Perhaps Morgana being dispatched is part of the grabbing attention objective.

neoemonk

I know Persona 5 talk is dominating the thread right now, but I saw Dancing All Night Special Edition for $50 on Amazon. What was the verdict on that game?

I know Persona 5 talk is dominating the thread right now, but I saw Dancing All Night Special Edition for $50 on Amazon. What was the verdict on that game?

Mixed reviews really.

Some found the story passable, others found it complete trash
Some found the gameplay fun, others found it full of flaws
Some enjoyed the remixes, others hated the remixes

I think the only thing everyone agreed on was that the graphics were gorgeous and the dancing was really well done

Mixed reviews really.

Some found the story passable, others found it complete trash
Some found the gameplay fun, others found it full of flaws
Some enjoyed the remixes, others hated the remixes

I think the only thing everyone agreed on was that the graphics were gorgeous and the dancing was really well done
I enjoyed the story and kanami was great
gameplay is my favorite rhythm game on a handheld, pales compared to arcade rhythm
remixes were weak overall, still good though

A fun thing to do with DAN videos is to take other songs, match them against ingame dances by their BPM (using this as a guide and this to find your song's BPM) and putting them side-by-side using YT doubler.

Fun times were had.

I found the story to be a bit too formulaic, and it feels very famillier if you've played the other spinoffs/P4. But some of the new characters are very good, and the investigation team's characterisations are much better than in the other spinoffs.

I really enjoyed the gameplay, especially when you get to the higher difficulties with mods. It does have quite a steep difficulty spike when you jump from normal to hard though.

It is a bit lacking in original songs. There's a lot of repetition with all the remixes too. Still got a lot of mileage out of it though.

Zolo

i wouldn't be opposed to more 'guys walk out of change rooms and girls oogle them' scenes

I was very disappointed in the lack of reaction to wearing a towel in Persona 4. I think the closest to this statement I got was Naoto blushing when commenting a shirt I wore revealed a lot of hidden muscle.

I was very disappointed in the lack of reaction to wearing a towel in Persona 4. I think the closest to this statement I got was Naoto blushing when commenting a shirt I wore revealed a lot of hidden muscle.

Yeah, all you got was the guys commenting on it, IIRC.

Jintor

in lieu of a truly equal society i will definitely take genderswap attitude switches because I think that shit is both funny and interesting

All I remember is Yosuke asking if there was someone he could lodge a complaint to when you put him in one.

Actually I just booted up my copy of Golden, and Yukiko responds with "I don't know where too look when you're dressed like that. Can you please change?" Rise responds with "I can't concentrate on navigating when you're dressed like that! Stupid Senpai."

Lunar15

I love that
GTA V had all this hype for its heists, they turned out to be linear missions the same as anything else, and now a JRPG is going to make things right.

Well, I must admit: The idea of a heist is somewhat diminished when it's something you're doing over multiple days and multiple trips. Curious to see how they handle that concept.

Top Bottom