• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Jintor

setsu how the fuck did you predict the persona 5 release date based on 傘

link me to the reactions of people when you were right

_Ryo_

They usually have English equivalents to the sound effect pop ups, as well as translating things like signs

One good example a lot of people don't realize: The sign above Hagakure's entrance in Persona 3 is translated from the original Japanese.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i think on balance they'd leave it be. american comic book sound effects would definitely have a very different implication/atmosphere imho. and why do extra work when you can get away with not doing it and preserving the original identity more faithfully?

I agree they should probably keep it as is but still it will be something that will bother some people if they dont know what it means. (I am basing this on the fact it would bother me quite a bit if I didn't know what it meant...) I think a good compromise is to have a sort of in game encyclopedia similar to those in a lot of visual novels. Tells players what the pop ups mean and still keeps the original visual identity intact.

Jintor

tbh you don't actually need to know what the sound effects mean (especially in a medium that also has actual audio), you just need to know they're there...

tbh you don't actually need to know what the sound effects mean (especially in a medium that also has actual audio), you just need to know they're there...

It helps to know what they mean, but you dont need it explaining to you more than once or twice.

Every Jojos fan knows exactly what this means without the translation needing to be on screen every single time.
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Sophia

In Persona 3/4, the critical hit animation had the Japanese onomatopoeia replaced with a pair of exclamation marks. I wouldn't be surprised if Persona 5 had similar changes.

Dantis

i think on balance they'd leave it be. american comic book sound effects would definitely have a very different implication/atmosphere imho. and why do extra work when you can get away with not doing it and preserving the original identity more faithfully?

I absolutely disagree.

Having Japanese text in an English localisation conveys, well, nothing. The effects are there for emphasis, presumably, which would be entirely lost.

Jintor

Something like !! or !?! might work, but if they literally replace it with BOW BIFF BAMMO (well not that tier) I think it would lose a lot of the style for a native reader.

Japanese onomatepeaic use of sound effects has a lot to do with the language itself i feel. Besides, I think at least visually speaking, the way stuff is drawn - the angularity, the line thickness etc - is at least as good. Better as symbology than as actual words/language/effect.

ちょっとイライラだね、その発音。。。ぎりぎり同じな英語の言葉がありませんだから、ほとんど意味が現れてできない。

PK Gaming

Because the original text doesn't convey anything for non-Japanese players.

THUMP! WHACK! KNOCK! KNOCK! are both recognizable and even nostalgic sound effects for non-Japanese players.

バシッ バシッ バシッ!

I get literally nothing from this. It doesn't matter if its more faithful, I can't begin to appreciate the original intention if I can't understand it.

_Ryo_

The thing about Japanese onomatopoeia is that it can be used to not only convey sounds but emotions, feelings, and state of mind as well. What is the equivalent of わくわく、いらいら、おたおた、and other 擬態語 forms of Japanese onomatopoeia in English comic terms? You can use "!!" to convey surprise but exclamation points arent going to work for everything.

There is actually ブチッ on the persona summoning splash in Persona 5, which is kind of a display of someone's mind snapping if I remember correctly. So that being the case it clearly shows that these sound effects can give insight into the mindframe of our characters. What if later in the game, after everyone has their ultimate persona it says キッ on the summoning splash instead in order to show that the character has reached a moment of resolve/seriousness and insight instead of a unstable mind? I dont really know how to convey those types of things in western comics and such.

And that is why I think an in game encylopedia is the best compromise.

But then again I always think waaay to hard about things that end up irrelevant in the end so there's that. Hehe.

FluxWaveZ

I dont really know how to convey those types of things in western comics and such.

But then again I always think waaay to hard about things that end up irrelevant in the end so there's that. Hehe.

Then you're agreeing that there's absolutely no difference for non-Japanese speaking players whether the Japanese text was there or it wasn't, because they won't understand the nuance regardless. English text would at least attempt to convey the meaning without it being completely lost on English speakers.

Setsu00

The thing about Japanese onomatopoeia is that it can be used to not only convey sounds but emotions, feelings, and state of mind as well. What is the equivalent of わくわく、いらいら、おたおた、and other 擬態語 forms of Japanese onomatopoeia in English comic terms? You can use "!!" to convey surprise but exclamation points arent going to work for everything.

There is actually ブチッ on the persona summoning splash in Persona 5, which is kind of a display of someone's mind snapping if I remember correctly. So that being the case it clearly shows that these sound effects can give insight into the mindframe of our characters. What if later in the game, after everyone has their ultimate persona it says キッ on the summoning splash instead in order to show that the character has reached a moment of resolve/seriousness and insight instead of a unstable mind? I dont really know how to convey those types of things in western comics and such.

"ブチッ" sounds like a breaking chain and apparently symbolizes that the characters have to hit a breaking point to summon their Personas. However, the mere fact that we have to talk about this means that the meaning isn't always clear to people with no Japanese skills.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I threw in the Gundam series question to keep him on his toes. :D

Also, if he had replied with "AGE" or "Reconguista in G," I would've quit right there on the stage and cancelled the game.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
I'm gonna play Persona 5 on Safety.

p4g was the first turn based rpg game i played, and without knowing anything, i started on normal

i managed to beat the game, but oh boy i had a hard time, i never payed attention if i was underleveled. I fused personas but never noticed the importance of buffs/debuffs

then i played p3fes on normal, and i was forced to learn all that

i glad i'm past that, but even though i doubt i'd get stuck playing on normal in p5, the difficulty i had with p3 is/will be making me think twice before choosing

I'm curious. In the time between now and release, what are some of you playing or planning to get to pass the time?

Me, I'm thinking SMT4A will be enough, assuming it doesn't put me off demon negotiation forever.

Setsu00

I threw in the Gundam series question to keep him on his toes. :D

Also, if he had replied with "AGE" or "Reconguista in G," I would've quit right there on the stage and cancelled the game.

I hope you convinced him to draw some Gundam art - he probably has already done that, but I want to see it!

I'm curious. In the time between now and release, what are some of you playing or planning to get to pass the time?

Me, I'm thinking SMT4A will be enough, assuming it doesn't put me off demon negotiation forever.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Zero Time Dilemma
Setsuna
Trails of Cold Steel 2
Maybe Ace Attorney 6
SMT IV Apocalypse
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Maybe Trails in the Sky the 3rd, but "early 2017" in Xseed time is probably around May at the earliest.

Ofc, with all the overly long JRPG's in that list, I'll probably end up not playing all of them.

lilty

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
SMT4A
Pokemon

Those will definitely be enough to hold me over. I think of all those titles I'm looking forward to SMT4A the most. I replayed SMT4 earlier this year and it made me appreciate it a lot more, and Apocalypse looks like it's fixing a lot of the issues I had with 4.

MSMrRound

Trails of Cold Steel II is a meaty JRPG that I'm looking at. Previous title ended at a uh...certain point and I'm eager to see how things proceed from there.

That is if I'm not already grabbing a Japanese copy of Persona 5 by then. Wouldn't be able to understand much, but hey, playable P5. I'll gladly try to fumble through it and stare at the menus/UI all day long.

Still surprised people say how "easy" some forms of japanese languages are to learn. When I was in high-school i took two years of American Sign Language and still cannot cite the alphabet. I also grew up around a hispanic household and i barely know any spanish from my grandparents and relatives

SMT4:A
Zero Time Dilemma
The Last Guardian
FFXV
Trails of Cold Steel II

Ordered most of them on an E3 sale, so not even that expensive.

Lusankya

There is actually quite some stuff for me to play, so it won't be boring.

Tokyo Mirage Session
Zero Escape 3 - Zero Time Dilemma
Ace Attorney 6
Trails of Cold Steel II
FF XV
Dragon Quest Builders
Star Ocean V
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir.
World of Final Fantasy

Although even though there are some killer games with ZE3 and AA6 on the horizon Persona 5 is still my number one title I am waiting for.

Shin megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse
Star Ocean 5
World Of Final Fantasy
Dishonored 2
Trails of Cold Steel 2
The Last Guardian
Blazblue: Central Fiction

Might even pick up CoD Infinite Warfare. Looks surprisingly good, though I'm kind've swamped for multiplayer games atm. Blazblue and Dishonored 2 are my most hyped now that Persona isn't this year.

I still have an extensive backlog as well, just picked up Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir on the same day. And I have a lot more besides those, Including Trails of Cold Steel 1...Buying two regardless and I'm now hoping to play them quickly in a row. After TitS I have a lot of faith I'll enjoy cold steel

Zero Time Dilema
God Eater 2
Attack on Titan

Not much in terms of new games because I have other things to do over the summer and I can always sift through my backlog without adding to it for a while.

DNAbro

Zero Time Dilemma in about a week but that will last me like a week.
Overwatch will last me forever.
I have Destiny Rise of Iron in Sept.
Most likely getting Dragon Quest VII in Sept as well.
Have FFXV preordered.
Pokemon Moon in Nov.
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 in December.
Resident Evil 7 in January too.

Also a few indies like YIIK and hopefully Omori. May get Cosmic Star Heroine as well.

I would get lots and lots more but I'm considering saving for NX as well for whenever Zelda comes out.

Bio5ith

Neo Member
There wasn't any direct feed of the E3 P5 demo without the PSC hosts talking over it, right? I really want to hear more of the soundtrack with vocals, the bits you can hear in the videos seem really good.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Same.

High-five, fellow huge coward!

p4g was the first turn based rpg game i played, and without knowing anything, i started on normal

i managed to beat the game, but oh boy i had a hard time, i never payed attention if i was underleveled. I fused personas but never noticed the importance of buffs/debuffs

then i played p3fes on normal, and i was forced to learn all that

i glad i'm past that, but even though i doubt i'd get stuck playing on normal in p5, the difficulty i had with p3 is/will be making me think twice before choosing

Let's just enjoy the story and stuff. :p

There wasn't any direct feed of the E3 P5 demo without the PSC hosts talking over it, right? I really want to hear more of the soundtrack with vocals, the bits you can hear in the videos seem really good.

Seems to be the sad case.

Also, I've remembered that I've also got FF15 and Uncharted 4 to look forward to. (I haven't picked up U4 cause the CAD makes for a very discouraging price tag)

The reason I'm asking is that the last time I was really hyped for a game coming in Q1, I ended up picking up a game to pass the time and it ended up becoming my #1. (The game I was looking forward to was Mass Effect 3, so draw your own conclusions on how that ended.)

edit:

I only just realized this implies he likes Fuuka more than Mitsuru. XD

Jintor

Because the original text doesn't convey anything for non-Japanese players.

THUMP! WHACK! KNOCK! KNOCK! are both recognizable and even nostalgic sound effects for non-Japanese players.

バシッ バシッ バシッ!

I get literally nothing from this. It doesn't matter if its more faithful, I can't begin to appreciate the original intention if I can't understand it.

I'm not really talking about them as words, more as visual symbols. For example:

explosion.jpg

I'd argue here you don't really need to know that ボン is the sound of an explosion because the impact is in the font strength, size, lines. In that sense onomatopoeia are more like symbols than actual words.

But I understand where you're coming from, especially for more subtle things than explosions.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not really talking about them as words, more as visual symbols. For example:

explosion.jpg

I'd argue here you don't really need to know that ボン is the sound of an explosion because the impact is in the font strength, size, lines. In that sense onomatopoeia are more like symbols than actual words.

But I understand where you're coming from, especially for more subtle things than explosions.

I would argue that English words can also have that same energy behind them when executed right. One work that comes immediately to mind is the film adaptation of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

PK Gaming

explosion.jpg

BOOM!

KABOOSH!

No good?

I get where you're coming from now though. It should probably be decided on a case by case basis. In that example, i'd probably avoid translating that sound effect.

Lunar15

Did anyone notice in the E3 trailer that the Velvet Room entrance is now represented by one of the Velvet Twins? I don't think I saw anyone mention this:

Also note that, going by the map, there's multiple entrances into the dungeon.

explosion.jpg

Honestly, i don't see any more emphasis than the explosion itself. They're just symbols to me

I would argue that English words can also have that same energy behind them when executed right. One work that comes immediately to mind is the film adaptation of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.
Best Movie

And that explosion example still has the same effect as everything else. Its a big bold meaningless text. Like a meaningless exclamation point. I could put \|\\ in big bold font and itd mean the same thing

shit, just use an exclamation point

Top Bottom