• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Guess Who

Banned
I will feel legit sad if there's not a new version of the Velvet Room music. P1-P3 all had new ones, and this one's been in use for a decade.

PK Gaming

Let's talk about Battle Flow

Everyone here should at least be somewhat aware of this concept. Basically, i'm talking about how a particular battle progresses in an RPG. Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are examples of games that have good Battle Flow. Low loading times + generally quick attack animations lack of random encounter contribute to a fast paced, refreshing experience. Final Fantasy 9 and Persona 2 on the other hand, have poor battle flow. Long loading times + slowish attack animation on top of random encounters make it a chore to play through.

Persona 5 has the best battle flow I've seen in an RPG, period. From the beginning:

qFz9WIN.gif

The transition here is nearly seamless. The game immediately puts you straight into the action. The music starts and the player is ready.

There is no menu. Nearly every action can be performed with simple button presses. We also see the new Persona switching animation. Not only is it incredibly stylish, but it's very quick now too. No more messing around with several menus. You pick a Persona and it just happens. The attack animation themselves are quicker than before, but the game doesn't sacrifice quality—they still look great. Persona attacks in particular no longer take up the entire screen . They still look amazing, but they don't slow down the pace of a battle and this has the effect of significantly improving the pace.

One More! has returned and it's made abundantly clear why they didn't get rid of One More! The system is designed to speed up battles and keep the player's momentum going. Even from a superficial perspective, it always felt incredibly satisfying to string several One More Hits in a row, and P5 makes it feel even better with its incredible visuals and feedback from the party members.

HEY! HOLD UP! The hold up system is an evolution from the all out system. You're given the ability to negotiate with enemies, but this is thankfully optional. The All Out Attack animation is pretty good, but by far the best aspect of it is the character specific artwork that appears after an AoA. They're fun and stylish, and you're pretty bound to see all of them as you play through the game.

TL;DR It's pretty clear to me that devs tried to make battles as fun, stylish and painless as possible. The best part? The battle I dissected only took 30 seconds to complete.

I'd like to see how hard enemies can hit. There was something I read which said that battles are tougher this time around, but there's more ways to avoid them, but all the battle footage we've seen so far has barely given them a chance to attack.

I've been away because of my fears of spoilers but ummmm... anybody has any idea how the English VA is?

https://twitter.com/Maajora/status/742809601813319680?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

This is the only english VA we've heard so far, (spoiler free, since it's not an ingame scene).

Seems like there's also a few new details in Dengeki this week, although it's mostly a retread of famitsu. Something about party members being switchable at any time, not sure if that includes mid battle though. Probably not.

ACE 1991

Alright, so I'm getting stomped in the second castle where you go save Yukiko, could I somehow be underleveled this early in the game? I don't have enough money to buy a lot of medicines.

Sophia

Alright, so I'm getting stomped in the second castle where you go save Yukiko, could I somehow be underleveled this early in the game? I don't have enough money to buy a lot of medicines.

Get this logic out of your head right now, or you're going to have a bad time playing Persona 4.

What part of Yukiko's Castle are you having issue with?

Sophia

Mostly just taking a lot of damage as I work my way up to where Yukiko is.

Ah. Well, remember to be exploiting the weaknesses. The Press Turn system (and it's Persona variant One More!) values enemy suppression and gaining additional turns. In particular, if you know an enemy is a pest, hit it with it's weakness twice to take it out of the fight for a bit.

Also make sure to use the right Persona too. While the stats from individual level ups don't matter that much, the overall stats do matter.

If all else fails, fuse new Personas. Fusion is always the first answer. Fear not the fusion. Live by it, love it, embrace it~!

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Fusion is always the first answer. Fear not the fusion. Live by it, love it, embrace it~!

Sage advice with one caveat: Just because "Elemental Race" sounds cool, do NOT think that they are combat effective. I lost so much progression in DSO because I thought Elementals sounded cool/were good.

Sophia

Sage advice with one caveat: Just because "Elemental Race" sounds cool, do NOT think that they are combat effective. I lost so much progression in DSO because I thought Elementals sounded cool/were good.

Beginners in Persona 4 never seem to realize that Slime is one of the most powerful Personas in the dungeon, even before it's leveled up. :D

And then you can fuse all of it's goodness onto a healer like
the persona Senri
and you're basically unstoppable God. >.>

Dantis

I'm going to go ahead and say right now that you absolutely can be under-levelled in Persona, and grinding is sometimes necessary (Less so in Golden, I suppose).

I think I'm usually about level 14 when I hit the first boss?

Sophia

I'm going to go ahead and say right now that you absolutely can be under-levelled in Persona, and grinding is sometimes necessary (Less so in Golden, I suppose).

I think I'm usually about level 14 when I hit the first boss?

Being around level 15 is pretty ideal for the first boss, 25 for the second, and so on.

First proper boss is level 15, so yeah about 10-15 is what you want to be.

And the only time being underleveled matters is if it causes you to lack skills for a party member, which doesn't happen often. Although getting Chie to level 14 is useful in vanilla Persona 4 for the first boss.

It should also go without saying that you'll end up underleveled if you're dodging shadows instead of fighting them. Just because you can avoid shadows on the map, doesn't mean you should.

Let's talk about Battle Flow

Everyone here should at least be somewhat aware of this concept. Basically, i'm talking about how a particular battle progresses in an RPG. Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are examples of games that have good Battle Flow. Low loading times + generally quick attack animations lack of random encounter contribute to a fast paced, refreshing experience. Final Fantasy 9 and Persona 2 on the other hand, have poor battle flow. Long loading times + slowish attack animation on top of random encounters make it a chore to play through.

Persona 5 has the best battle flow I've seen in an RPG, period. From the beginning:

The transition here is nearly seamless. The game immediately puts you straight into the action. The music starts and the player is ready.

There is no menu. Nearly every action can be performed with simple button presses. We also see the new Persona switching animation. Not only is it incredibly stylish, but it's very quick now too. No more messing around with several menus. You pick a Persona and it just happens. The attack animation themselves are quicker than before, but the game doesn't sacrifice quality—they still look great. Persona attacks in particular no longer take up the entire screen . They still look amazing, but they don't slow down the pace of a battle and this has the effect of significantly improving the pace.

One More! has returned and it's made abundantly clear why they didn't get rid of One More! The system is designed to speed up battles and keep the player's momentum going. Even from a superficial perspective, it always felt incredibly satisfying to string several One More Hits in a row, and P5 makes it feel even better with its incredible visuals and feedback from the party members.

HEY! HOLD UP! The hold up system is an evolution from the all out system. You're given the ability to negotiate with enemies, but this is thankfully optional. The All Out Attack animation is pretty good, but by far the best aspect of it is the character specific artwork that appears after an AoA. They're fun and stylish, and you're pretty bound to see all of them as you play through the game.

TL;DR It's pretty clear to me that devs tried to make battles as fun, stylish and painless as possible. The best part? The battle I dissected only took 30 seconds to complete.

Pretty much this. The button mapping was a genius and it was something I didn't even know I wanted until I saw it. I think this will be a great way to capture new fans who maybe don't like turn-based battles because they feel slow.

Mediking

https://twitter.com/Maajora/status/742809601813319680?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

This is the only english VA we've heard so far, (spoiler free, since it's not an ingame scene).

Seems like there's also a few new details in Dengeki this week, although it's mostly a retread of famitsu. Something about party members being switchable at any time, not sure if that includes mid battle though. Probably not.

?!?!?!? I was not expecting Morgana to sound like that... uhhhh... wow.... Was honestly expecting a raspy voice.

Dantis

My main concern with Morgana's voice is how young she sounds. Very typical JRPG mascot voice. The Japanese one has an edge to it that makes it sound eccentric and slightly weird, whereas the English one sounds like an adult doing an impression of a child.

EndMerit

Also, one could (and I will) argue that Yukiko's castle is the hardest dungeon in the game. The biggest issue isn't even that you only have 3 party members at that point, but by the time you reach the next dungeon you have unlocked the ability to spend some money to heal your party, you have enough money anyway to buy more healing items, you have more personas, and you can even return back to Yukiko's castle, now overleveled, to farm more healing items and arcana cards.

Basically, Yukiko's castle is the only dungeon where you don't have access to virtually unlimited SP and healing items, and can therefore run out of healing, forcing you to come back another day.

That said, you do have a lot of time to finish each dungeon, so if you're struggling you might as well stop halfway and come back another day after buying better gear and more healing items.

Mediking

My main concern with Morgana's voice is how young she sounds. Very typical JRPG mascot voice. The Japanese one has an edge to it that makes it sound eccentric and slightly weird, whereas the English one sounds like an adult doing an impression of a child.

You're so right. Tales of the Abyss had a mascot character and his voice sounds just like Morgana's voice.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Also, one could (and I will) argue that Yukiko's castle is the hardest dungeon in the game. The biggest issue isn't even that you only have 3 party members at that point, but by the time you reach the next dungeon you have unlocked the ability to spend some money to heal your party, you have enough money anyway to buy more healing items, you have more personas, and you can even return back to Yukiko's castle, now overleveled, to farm more healing items and arcana cards.

Basically, Yukiko's castle is the only dungeon where you don't have access to virtually unlimited SP and healing items, and can therefore run out of healing, forcing you to come back another day.

That said, you do have a lot of time to finish each dungeon, so if you're struggling you might as well stop halfway and come back another day after buying better gear and more healing items.
I'd say it's Kanji. The boss battle forces you to learn what a true DPS race is.

barybll

Banned

Speeding up battles is the best choice
One of the reasons why strange journey and soul hackers are liked so much in the smt community is due to how fast paced the game is, that way you never feel like getting dragged out along dungeons

I like to see them borrowing speed here

?!?!?!? I was not expecting Morgana to sound like that... uhhhh... wow.... Was honestly expecting a raspy voice.

The voice also sounds a lot more feminine than in the jp version

Yukiko is definitely the hardest. Game kinda gets easier from there as it goes, especially in Golden.

Morgana's voice sounds pretty good to me in English. It's hard to make a call either way from the very little that we've heard.

I'm actually not sure if this is a Detective Pikachu joke or not.

She shares her Japanese voice with Pikachu and Chopper! It's always sounded like a typical mascot voice to me.

Lunar15

Yeah, the Japanese voice actor for Morgana is known for "cute" mascots, but ones that can also sound "tough". That's kind of Morgana's whole shtick: She sounds cute but the way she talks has an older inflection that makes her sound older, wiser, and bossier. Definitely think they picked Otani for this exact reason.

This is why I was worried about Morgana more than anyone else on the cast. It's such a specific voice that's hard to emulate. Impish, is the term I'd use. It's higher pitched and "cuter", but also has an edge to it like Dantis mentioned.

So far, I can't say I'm hugely in love with the english voice actor. I don't see it as a stereotypical mascot voice, but I definitely hear it as a young girl, and I can't shake that. I don't think Morgana is intended to give off a younger vibe.

Also, what I worried would happen is happening to me: I often find that I'm totally fine with dubs if I hear the dubs first without hearing the originals. I think this is the case with Persona 3/4, where I didn't hear the japanese voices until long after I had beaten them. Once you hear the original cast, then you start making associations and that's where you start to get disappointed. Of course, some dubs are really bad right out of the gate, but I really don't find that to be an issue with Atlus most of the time.

Andrew J.

Definitely. I managed to beat it in one day only by farming cup cards on the first floor to restore SP.

daevious

Also, what I worried would happen is happening to me: I often find that I'm totally fine with dubs if I hear the dubs first without hearing the originals. I think this is the case with Persona 3/4, where I didn't hear the japanese voices until long after I had beaten them. Once you hear the original cast, then you start making associations and that's where you start to get disappointed. Of course, some dubs are really bad right out of the gate, but I really don't find that to be an issue with Atlus most of the time.

For me I had the opposite experience; listening to the Japanese dub of Persona 4 made me despise Rise with a burning passion. Laura Bailey really doesn't get enough credit for making Rise not only tolerable, but making her sound like a professional as well.

Strimei

I'm actually a big fan of Kugimiya Rie (Rise's Japanese VA) but there is something about her role as Rise that annoys me to no end. I don't know what it is, she's almost more shrill I think (which is an accomplishment...).

Anyway, I don't mind Morgana's english voice. Its a bit different to be sure, but I think it works. Plus, its early work still, I imagine. I do like her voice in Japanese though (the line about Ryuji being a monkey cracks me up with just the way she says it), but I'm ok with this.

That said, I'm kinda like Lunar15 when it comes to sub/dub stuff. Usually its whatever I hear first, I get used to it and like it.

Zolo

Eh. Morgana was one of the biggest ones I figured would be superior on the Japanese side.....I mean, you have what's practically one of (if not the) most iconic voices for mascot characters in the world, and it being one that generally doesn't annoy adults.

Lunar15

For me I had the opposite experience; listening to the Japanese dub of Persona 4 made me despise Rise with a burning passion. Laura Bailey really doesn't get enough credit for making Rise not only tolerable, but making her sound like a professional as well.

Haha, this is true. I had the same experience. With Kanji as well. Laura and Troy knocked that game out of the park. They singlehandedly MADE those characters.

With other games and anime though, I most often find that I prefer whatever I've heard first.

Eh. Morgana was one of the biggest ones I figured would be superior on the Japanese side.....I mean, you have what's practically one of (if not the) most iconic voices for mascot characters in the world, and it being one that generally doesn't annoy adults.

Pretty much. The fact that I know she plays Chopper and I even hear the Chopper in her Morgana voice but can still completely distinguish between the two is proof of her range and talent even with such a weirdly specific voice.

PK Gaming

We've only heard like 20 seconds of hastily thrown together footage so I think it's a little premature to hand out judgements towards ENG Morgana.

Having said that, English Morgana retains the condescending edge and generally androgynous voice the Japanese version had which was the most important part of her character so i'm confident that the english version will deliver

Lunar15

We've only heard like 20 seconds of hastily thrown together footage so I think it's a little premature to hand out judgements towards ENG Morgana.

Having said that, English Morgana retains the condescending edge and generally androgynous voice the Japanese version had which was the most important part of her character so i'm confident that the english version will deliver

While the first paragraph is very true, I still really didn't detect what you mention in the second paragraph. She sounds like a young girl.

I've still got a pretty decent amount of faith in Atlus though, and overall, I'm not the kind of person to be bothered by this sort of thing.

barybll

Banned

Not really
She totally sounds like a girl

Sorry guys, does anyone know how much will the 20th anniversary edition of the game weigh? I know it's a weird question, but I wanted to get an idea on how much it would cost me for shipment and on AmiAmi there's a table based on the weight of the package.

_Ryo_

Dunno why but I get a really strong feeling slink/cooperations are gonna connect to the actual story of the game and that one of the cooperations is gonna be a spy that can actually impare your progress.

MSMrRound

Speaking of Phil's review of P4G for Polygon...I'm surprised Persona 5 didn't appear in his list of Top 10 E3 2016 games...while Griffin and Megan had P5 at no. 1 for their lists. Guess there were too many games out there on the showfloor...

No review code for you Phil!

/jk

lilty

#FE reviewing pretty well. Surprised to see Polygon's 9.5.

I'm really excited for it. I actually bought a Wii U the day the original teaser trailer came out so it's nice that it's finally coming out. While it's nowhere near what I imagined the project would be back then, I'm glad they took a unique turn with it and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. Either way it will hold me over until Apocalypse, which will in turn hold me over until P5.

Top Bottom