• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I'm really interested in persona 5 mainly because I love the artwork. It's to the point where I'm interested in preordering the game for the September release.

Language isn't an issue for me, but I was just wondering what kind of rpg am I looking at. I do have a slight tendency of being a bit of a completionist sometimes.

I'm still on the fence, ever it's a buy or take my money elsewhere. I wish there was a demo or if there's a kiosk or something (I live in Japan).

I noticed it looks like the Fire Emblem WiiU game, I was only on the fence for that but that required a console purchase, whereas I already have a PS4 (and PS3, but would just get the former).

I'm very impressed with the gameplay videos, but it's the style that's winning me over, and I'm sure there will be lots of substance.

I think they're different games playing wise, but I absolutely could not get into SMT4 which I promptly resold.

Have you played another Persona game before?

Persona games play somewhat differently than mainline SMT. The difficulty is less, for one. What exactly did you not like about SMT4? Persona is still reliant on (de)buffs and exploiting enemy weaknesses, if that's what annoyed you.

lupinko

Have you played another Persona game before?

Persona games play somewhat differently than mainline SMT. The difficulty is less, for one. What exactly did you not like about SMT4? Persona is still reliant on (de)buffs and exploiting enemy weaknesses, if that's what annoyed you.

It's not the difficulty, I can play older SRW and FE (or modern FE using Classic FE rules and difficulty) just fine. I just didn't like the overall gameplay, also I wasn't a fan of the English dub. The game just didn't click with me.

No, I've never played any persona before, but I've always been a fan of the artwork, even back in the PSone days, I know that was a different character designer but I've always liked the aesthetics.

I was going to play the ASW fighting games, but boycotted them out of principle when Atlus region locked the first game on PS3. I was not affected by said region lock, but I found it totally abhorrent with regards to the region free path set by the PS3 for consoles.

But yeah I still really like the designs, like Mitsuru is one of my favourite designs ever.

Also I like JoJo, so how Persona incorporates the Tarot is pretty interesting to me too, and sorta does the whole stand thing too.

I'm really interested in persona 5 mainly because I love the artwork. It's to the point where I'm interested in preordering the game for the September release.

Language isn't an issue for me, but I was just wondering what kind of rpg am I looking at. I do have a slight tendency of being a bit of a completionist sometimes.

I'm still on the fence, ever it's a buy or take my money elsewhere. I wish there was a demo or if there's a kiosk or something (I live in Japan).

I noticed it looks like the Fire Emblem WiiU game, I was only on the fence for that but that required a console purchase, whereas I already have a PS4 (and PS3, but would just get the former).

I'm very impressed with the gameplay videos, but it's the style that's winning me over, and I'm sure there will be lots of substance.

I think they're different games playing wise, but I absolutely could not get into SMT4 which I promptly resold.

There are actually some public demo events over the next two weekends, if you're close to either of them: http://personacentral.com/persona-5-nationwide-public-demos/

But he isn't. There's still
Yuki.
Anyway, there's always "If it's You, It's Okay". Plus, I think ppl just want someone who doesn't seem stereotypical gay because some people find it offensive. Although, Jun was kinda stereotypical himself with the makeup and flowers and I didn't think he was offensive.

I was really hoping one of the party members would be an option. I'm not desperate enough to start hoping for some really bland minor character to be our salvation, so consider this me admitting defeat. Also, that trope is fucking awful. I wanted, like, an actually realistic depiction of a gay/bi character in this game revolving around social issues, but y'know whatever at least we'll probably have an offensive stereotype in there because it's tradition. That's all the representation I've come to expect from them. I guess there's still Goro because we don't know much about him, but lmao that's what people said about Yusuke after the Ryuji ship sank. I'm not doing that again.

I'm not gonna care about this anymore. It's exhausting and way too much to expect out of this series. The audience looking for standard pervy fanservice hijinks is more important to them, as has been abundantly clear since Persona 3. The game looks great, I'm gonna play it and I'm probably gonna like it but I'm once again not gonna be able to roleplay as myself.

Setsu00

Actually, Yusuke could still end up being bisexual, but that's probably grasping at straws at this point. After all, the only thing he seems to be interested in is beauty.

Also it looks like I will immediately skip the beach cutscene at this point. I'm just hoping that most of the fanservice is getting condensed into that scene which is why they keep promoting it.

Zolo

Actually, Yusuke could still end up being bisexual, but that's probably grasping at straws at this point. After all, the only thing he seems to be interested in is beauty.

I kinda figured this would have to be the case anyway. None of the companions seemed like their issues dealt with sexuality where that would have to be a big focus on in the social link. Yusuke's probably has to deal with art or individuals in higher authorities taking credit for their subordinates' work. Mishima may have a chance since we don't actually know what his issue is though it could just be standard bullying and authorities' ignoring of that for the sake of appearance.

I was really hoping one of the party members would be an option. I'm not desperate enough to start hoping for some really bland minor character to be our salvation, so consider this me admitting defeat. Also, that trope is fucking awful. I wanted, like, an actually realistic depiction of a gay/bi character in this game revolving around social issues, but y'know whatever at least we'll probably have an offensive stereotype in there because it's tradition. That's all the representation I've come to expect from them. I guess there's still Goro because we don't know much about him, but lmao that's what people said about Yusuke after the Ryuji ship sank. I'm not doing that again.

I'm not gonna care about this anymore. It's exhausting and way too much to expect out of this series. The audience looking for standard pervy fanservice hijinks is more important to them, as has been abundantly clear since Persona 3. The game looks great, I'm gonna play it and I'm probably gonna like it but I'm once again not gonna be able to roleplay as myself.

:c

Setsu00

I kinda figured this would have to be the case anyway. None of the companions seemed like their issues dealt with sexuality where that would have to be a big focus on in the social link. Yusuke's probably has to deal with art or individuals in higher authorities taking credit for their subordinates' work. Mishima may have a chance since we don't actually know what his issue is though it could just be standard bullying and authorities' ignoring of that for the sake of appearance.

Well, yeah, but that's not the point of a samesex option, right? Yusuke's (or anyone else's) story can deal with a completely different topic, but they could just happen to be LGBT and noone makes a big fuss out of it.

Mediking

By the time persona 5 release I want to see you pointing the events of the kuzunoha nuclear bomb timeline theory, making jokes about mark localization and going fast through corridors in persona 1, reciting the entire persona 2 plot and a honest criticism of the detective naoto story

;D

tumblr_movlku89mc1sqamb5o1_500.gif

Challenge accepted!

DNAbro

I was really hoping one of the party members would be an option. I'm not desperate enough to start hoping for some really bland minor character to be our salvation, so consider this me admitting defeat. Also, that trope is fucking awful. I wanted, like, an actually realistic depiction of a gay/bi character in this game revolving around social issues, but y'know whatever at least we'll probably have an offensive stereotype in there because it's tradition. That's all the representation I've come to expect from them. I guess there's still Goro because we don't know much about him, but lmao that's what people said about Yusuke after the Ryuji ship sank. I'm not doing that again

If you can't date guys then I'm going to play it how I played P4G. Not dating anyone. More accurate to my high school experience anyway lol.

I feel like the only thing we can do is just wait for impressions about the game. As you said guess work is getting annoying/exhausting and I don't think they would say "yes you can date guys" before release in famitsu or whatever.

Regardless I'm still ridiculously hyped for the game and everything shown looks amazing. It's just one issue I'm hoping they address.

In other gameplay news I love the new Persona fusion system
http://personacentral.com/persona-5-details-random-mementos-dungeons-persona-fusion/

All of them sound so violent now.

Mediking

Speaking of remembering P5 memories....

tumblr_inline_njbhdjv7lu1qg158n.png

latest

1726540-vincentpic.png

Hahahahhahahah the P5 MC is related to Vincent from Catherine or is secretly Vincent (in another life) theory!

PK Gaming

Damn all you people complaining about wanting same sex relationships. Atlus absolutely doesn't need to pander to you people, okay? Yusuke would have been an annoying stereotype anyway. Now if you'll excuse me, i'l be fapping to Futaba x P5MC art I found on the internet.

Damn all you people complaining about wanting same sex relationships. Atlus absolutely doesn't need to pander to you people, okay? Yusuke would have been an annoying stereotype anyway. Now if you'll excuse me, i'l be fapping to Futaba x P5MC art I found on the internet.

Well that was rude.

Ugh, you're just the worst. Haru is the kawaiiest waifu, Futaba sucks.

daevious

So do I, but Catherine is set in another universe.

This has not stopped several people from claiming that Vincent is the same person in P3P and Catherine despite Hashino stating that they're different characters.

"P5 Protag is Vincent and Katherine's kid" is just another extension of that denial.

_Ryo_

Just read about the
Fusion
gameplay features.

Guillotines?
Hanging?
Electric Chair?
Solitary Confinement?

Going full on Capital Punishment.

That's some pretty dark stuff in there, man.

Sophia

Oh nice. So in regards to that P5 gameplay feature:
sacrificial fusions are returning? Was one of the best features in Persona Q.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I think he meant to say Futuba x [other female character]. :3

I was wondering if they were all tied to how the casts persona's died in their stories, ie. Captain Kidd was hanged. But that doesn't really line up for all of them.

Solitary Confinement sounds like a really neat addition. Basically tying something like the Pokemon Day Care or Digimon Digi Farm into Persona's calendar system. Considering the usual short term utility of demons/personas though, I wonder how useful it will turn out to be.

Solitary confinement interests me the most. I'm guessing the purpose of that is to keep lower level personas like Arsene viable?

That's a win if they keep arsene viable for later game. I appreciate how they keeping the thief theme in regards to the persona fusion business but please say they've changed the music or remixed it for the velvet room. It's a classic song but might as well go for a new song.

PK Gaming

Solitary confinement interests me the most. I'm guessing the purpose of that is to keep lower level personas like Arsene viable?

I was just going to say, it looks like you'll be able to maintain Personas? Hopefully their level goes up as well; if P5 follows the same formula as the previous games, then Level will have a significant effect on damage.

Tamanon

Banned
I hope Morgana doesn't stay in the room when the MC gets busy with a Cooperation link. Morgana is ALWAYS around in scenes.

Yosh

Top Bottom