• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

It was annoying as hell waiting for the autograph line to start (Otakon never manages the pre-line well. It was more a cluster. Some optimistic people tried to form an informal line but that never works), but I managed to get Lotus Juice and Shihoko Hirata's autographs!

They were both very nice, though Lotus Juice seemed rather tired. Shihoko asked everyone getting autographs questions about various stuff, she seemed to be having a great time.

I hate you so much.

Hahaha, remember when everyone SWORE that Sho was going to be the protag of P5? Good times. Good times.

It still amazes me that this actually gained any traction.

MSMrRound

I see. Did not know the treatment of persona 3&4 were treated with spoiler tags. So should be safe but need to be cautious.

There's always the odd passerby/PGaf user who might pass us by and unintentionally mention some plot point without the use of spoiler tags, so just exercise caution.

It happened more times than what some of us would like.

Hmm...past Persona threads you say?

I always enjoy going back to panhime's pastebin of PersonaGAF's reactions on the IRC channel, especially when all of us were losing our heads.

Dantis' drawing of human Aigis (or someone similar) close to Tokyo Game Show one or two years ago also drew some laughs for making others think that Persona 5 will be getting a female protagonist.

It still amazes me that this actually gained any traction.

I don't blame them. The advertisement that they used in the newspaper for the Feb 05 concert really looked like a render of Sho. If you compare then and now, Soejima's drawing seem to depict a more demure (not too sure if that's the right word?) looking P5 protagonist. E.g his smiles etc aren't as wild now, compared to Ryuji's all out attack portrait which gives a very cartoony vibe.

DNAbro

for the hardin quote in the OP?

That and it was pretty much near the boiling point for people's beliefs. Then like a month later we get the delay and the rest is history. At least we know they are localizing now!

Also this made me curious about when we are going to hear about the voice actors for the English version.

Sho...? Who?

Your lack of Persona knowledge outside of P3 constantly astounds me.

Was a main character in Persona 4 Ultimax, the fighting game.

latest

DNAbro

its only been in recent years ive started to care about voice actors, so I'm also getting really curious about this. Still hoping cristina vee has a role

I don't really know who I would want back from other Atlus titles. Something tells me Troy Baker isn't making an appearance.

Setsu00

its only been in recent years ive started to care about voice actors, so I'm also getting really curious about this. Still hoping cristina vee has a role

I just hope that they don't re-use any voice actors for main characters. Spin offs and crossovers with the cast from P3 and P4 are almost guaranteed and I'd rather avoid situation where two characters have the same voice.

Amanda Miller, Carrie Kerranen, Erica Mendez, Sarah Williams... the wish list goes on. I just wonder how many will be there.

Though I'm really curious as to who they'll get for Yusuke.

Zolo

I just hope that they don't re-use any voice actors for main characters. Spin offs and crossovers with the cast from P3 and P4 are almost guaranteed and I'd rather avoid situation where two characters have the same voice.

I agree crossovers will happen, but it'll be interesting to see how it's handled with Persona 5 having the 20xx year.

I don't personally mind reusing voice actors if they can do a different voice enough that's different for the characters.

jzbluz

No, it should be Haru. Order seems to be based on their arcana.
Or was it already aired? Don't see any mention of it on persona5.jp

That's what I thought as well, but there are already screen caps going around. It gets shown on TV before Atlus uploads it to the Internet.

I figure atlus USA is pretty well aware of that possibility at this point and figure they will try to avoid that happening. Luckily the pool of english voice actors has gotten to be pretty big these days.

PK Gaming

Hahaha, remember when everyone SWORE that Sho was going to be the protag of P5? Good times. Good times.

Dude that wasn't funny, that was creepy. It's like common sense didn't exist anymore; people panicking left and right over a spinoff character being the lead in the next Persona game.

Like what the actual fuck?

Here's the screens for those curious. https://imgur.com/a/VgNiG#v6MAB2j

Also, according to Domini's scan, Morgana's twitter post apparently calls Yusuke a pervert.

The dream is dead.

Zolo

The dream is dead.

Yeah. We already had him gawking at Makoto in the bus scene (though some people were trying to interpret it as something else), so I've kinda moved on to hoping for maybe Mishima though my expectations have been low from the beginning.

I appreciate what Domination Kid does, but this translation is flat out wrong. Morgana actually calls him "eccentric guy".
Thanks. For what it's worth, Domi said Morgana called him a 'hentai', and I just assumed that meant pervert. I don't know Japanese myself, so I'm at the whims of others for that.

Edit: Oh. Never mind. Apparently, it does happen. I assumed it was the twitter post being talked about. My bad.

Setsu00

I agree crossovers will happen, but it'll be interesting to see how it's handled with Persona 5 having the 20xx year.

I don't personally mind reusing voice actors if they can do a different voice enough that's different for the characters.

Actually, we might already have the answer to the 20XX year thing. (Spoilers for Persona 3, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and Persona 5's pre-release materials)
I joked about it when they first revealed Gorou, but there might actually be a slight chance that Gorou is the kid with the same name that appeared in Junpei's Ultimax epilogue. It is mostly assumed that P5!Gorou is between 15 and 17 based on the other characters. Ultimax!Gorou should be either 11 or 12 as he's part of Junpei's Little League team, meaning that he should be 15 or 16 in 2016. The calendar of 2016 matches the one used in P5, so it seems likely that the game takes place in that year if they are indeed the same character. It's also worth to mention that Ultimax!Gorou's name is written in katakana while P5!Gorou uses kanji. Using katakana is usually a way of obscuring somebody's identity or to put emphasis on it in Japanese. They also have rather similiar looks, especially as far as the shape of their eyes is concerned. Lastly, it would also set up an interesting, but most likely incosequential parallel between Ryuji and Gorou as the former mentions that he prefers soccer to baseball.

And yes, I do realize the irony of posting this on the same page that also brought up the "Sho is the P5 protagonist" incident in which I also participated.

PK Gaming

Actually, we might already have the answer to the 20XX year thing. (Spoilers for Persona 3, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and Persona 5's pre-release materials)
I joked about it when they first revealed Gorou, but there might actually be a slight chance that Gorou is the kid with the same name that appeared in Junpei's Ultimax epilogue. It is mostly assumed that P5!Gorou is between 15 and 17 based on the other characters. Ultimax!Gorou should be either 11 or 12 as he's part of Junpei's Little League team, meaning that he should be 15 or 16 in 2016. The calendar of 2016 matches the one used in P5, so it seems likely that the game takes place in that year if they are indeed the same character. It's also worth to mention that Ultimax!Gorou's name is written in katakana while P5!Gorou uses kanji. Using katakana is usually a way of obscuring somebody's identity or to put emphasis on it in Japanese. They also have rather similiar looks, especially as far as the shape of their eyes is concerned. Lastly, it would also set up an interesting, but most likely incosequential parallel between Ryuji and Gorou as the former mentions that he prefers soccer to baseball.

And yes, I do realize the irony of posting this on the same page that also brought up the "Sho is the P5 protagonist" incident in which I also participated.

stop-sign-clipart-z7TaM5XiA.png

yesnotarot.jpg

Danganronpa-Thats-Wrong.png

DNAbro

He's an abrasive dickbag and both of our heroes bend over backwards to sympathize with him.

Also is it wrong for me to be glad the Jun lookalike isn't the gay option?

edit: Please quote images responsibly

I mean there isn't that many other options. Ryuji is obviously very into girls.
Then there is Yuki and Goro but we don't really know that much about them. Would be nice though.

Again that is if there is gay relationships.

Zolo

Errr....uhhh.....Kokorothieves on Tumblr noticed this and it looks right.

If you compare this and this, then it seems we can identify the hand in the first picture....who is Yusuke. I remember the hand not really seeming like Kamoshida's, but never really thought much more of it.

Setsu00

If you compare this and this, then it seems we can identify the hand in the first picture....who is Yusuke. I remember the hand not really seeming like Kamoshida's, but never really thought much more of it.

Well, prerelease media did mention that Yusuke was obsessed with the phantom thieves...

PK Gaming

Time waits for noone. It delivers all to the same end.

And that end contains obnoxious connections between P4 and P5.

You're thinking too hard about the individual "facts" but not taking other, more important factors into account. First off, that's not how game design works; they're not going to
recycle a minor character from a spinoff game and make him into a major character in their premium sequel. There's absolutely 0 point to doing that. It would legitimately detrimental to his character. No, Goro is going to have his own unique backstory that'll amount to something more than being a nod to Ultimax.
What you have there are a bunch of coincidences at best.

Basically, you're seriously missing the forest for the trees.

Zolo

Well, prerelease media did mention that Yusuke was obsessed with the phantom thieves...

I genuinely couldn't remember if that was official or fan speculation based on his paintings. Guess it was official.

You're thinking too hard about the individual "facts" but not taking other, more important factors into account. First off, that's not how game design works; they're not going to recycle a minor character from a spinoff game and make him into a major character in their premium sequel. There's absolutely 0 point to doing that. It would legitimately detrimental to his character. No, Goro is going to have his own unique backstory that'll amount to something more than being a nod to Ultimax. What you have there are a bunch of coincidences at best.

Basically, you're seriously missing the forest for the trees

Yeah. I get the logic, but Goro seems like someone who's been interested in detective work since he was young which doesn't seem to be the case in Ultimax.

Mediking

spoilers he sucks

Probably the worst character in all the spin-offs.

Made even worse by the fact that he had so, so, so much potential.

He's an abrasive dickbag and both of our heroes bend over backwards to sympathize with him.

Also is it wrong for me to be glad the Jun lookalike isn't the gay option?

edit: Please quote images responsibly

Yikes... How can such a good design end up in disaster?

I thought that hand looked too bony to be Kamoshida's.

On another note,
if you want to grasp at straws, there's still the chance that any number of them are bi.

an anime character more subtlety checking girls out would actually make for a decent character trait if we didnt already have ryuji being blatant. Having both just doesn't quite work, at least from my first impressions.

Maybe she notices him staring and he quickly redirects at her eyes and apologizes. That could contrast with the car scene

Setsu00

You're thinking too hard about the individual "facts" but not taking other, more important factors into account. First off, that's not how game design works; they're not going to
recycle a minor character from a spinoff game and make him into a major character in their premium sequel. There's absolutely 0 point to doing that. It would legitimately detrimental to his character. No, Goro is going to have his own unique backstory that'll amount to something more than being a nod to Ultimax.
What you have there are a bunch of coincidences at best.

Basically, you're seriously missing the forest for the trees.

You'd still have to account for the possibility that they included Gorou in Ultimax after they conceptualized him for P5, but you're completely right. As I said, I'm not really thinking that this is will end up being true. There were even more hints that the Malevolent Entity was actually Nyarlathotep and not even that ended up being right.

Yikes... How can such a good design end up in disaster?

The tragedy starts at his prototype design as it is miles better than the final product and ends at the atrocious writing that plagued the entirety of Ultimax. Essentially, they had a great idea and then decided to hit that idea with a baseball bat until nothing but a mess remained.

Id bet any amount of money that the 'hentai' context is weirdo rather than pervert.

I get the feeling that Yusuke checking out the girls is more of a "I need to draw you" than a "Getting muh dick wet" situation.

Id bet any amount of money that the 'hentai' context is weirdo rather than pervert.

I get the feeling that Yusuke checking out the girls is more of a "I need to draw you" than a "Getting muh dick wet" situation.

That's certainly possible. Now I'm thinking he regularly gets caught just staring at people as he tries to conceptualize drawing them in his head.

Top Bottom