• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Zolo

Has anyone else noticed that the MC's responses to questions look pretty short? They have to fit in those tiny boxes. Shame if true, I liked some of the longer responses from earlier games, unless I forget how long they actually are.

Most are short, but there are a few longer ones in the previous games.

Has anyone else noticed that the MC's responses to questions look pretty short? They have to fit in those tiny boxes. Shame if true, I liked some of the longer responses from earlier games, unless I forget how long they actually are.

P4, your choices were as long as the dialog box, P3 and P5 have a different box show up for choices. So yeah, our options probably won't be as wordy as P4's could get.

Darksol

I got a call from the place I made my preorder asking if I was coming in on release day to pick up my 20th anniversary edition. I can't believe we're just a couple of weeks away!

I got a call from the place I made my preorder asking if I was coming in on release day to pick up my 20th anniversary edition. I can't believe we're just a couple of weeks away!
You're lucky, I'll have to wait for the package to arrive ç_ç Hope it won't take longer than a week or so. Not sure I can take it.
Then again we have been waiting for a while now, haven't we?

Zolo

p4a_yukiko_laugh.gif

DNAbro

Some of that new footage is pretty good. Entering the Velvet Room is particularly great.

I can't believe how close it is to release. It's like 2 weeks away. What are the chances it leaks early?

So much media being released,are you guys really watching all this stuff?
I haven't watched anything since E3 except the occasional pic or gif on gaf/twitter.

artsi

Some of that new footage is pretty good. Entering the Velvet Room is particularly great.

I can't believe how close it is to release. It's like 2 weeks away. What are the chances it leaks early?

Yeah, usually someone gets a copy day or two earlier in Japan, as the games arrive to retail.

I'm going digital, hopefully it unlocks midnight in Japan (thursday afternoon here).

Most of the footage has been the same few early game areas anyway, and it's all been pretty heavily cut up. It doesn't really feel like they're actually showing that much.

Lusankya

Yah. As long as story details aren't spoiled I don't really care.

Same here. I saw some people complaining about Atlus "spoiling" (you can't use too many quotation marks here) the game by showing stuff like the protagonist going to a public bath.

"OMG, I didn't want to know this stuff. Thanks Siliconera for spoiling me, now the game is ruined!"

_Ryo_

So, this not being able to battle via being taken hostage... this is only for that session right? Surely they wouldn't keep you from using the character for the rest of the game.

Lusankya

So, this not being able to battle via being taken hostage... this is only for that session right? Surely they wouldn't keep you from using the character for the rest of the game.

The character will be gone for the rest of the game. If all characters are caught you need to restart the game from scratch or buy the characters back via micro transactions.

I assume it's basically "They can't be revived in that battle" or "They can't be revived for the rest of the day"

Edit: Actually, looking at the scan, it looks like it says they can be taken hostage if they get knocked down via weakness exploit, not KO'd, so I really don't understand the point of that feature. Would there really even be a point in negotiating at that point when it would be easier to just kill the enemy?

barybll

Banned
Negotiation looks like a complete ballache, gosh. I had hoped they'd streamlined it.

Should have left it out. It's a garbage mechanic.

Some of us enjoy it
I never had any problem with negotiations in SMT games tho, so my easy time might have made my time spent doing it not frustrating.

Sophia

Most of the time you're gonna be hitting triangle or whatever to initiate an all out attack. Negotiations will be rare enough that they won't really impact the flow any more than Shuffle Time did in P3 and P4

Setsu00

Is that actually what was happening there?

Sort of. Isomura almost always picked the option that seemed like it was going to annoy Pyro Jack the most. When she negotiated with Pixie, she picked the most straigthforward option and then she got Pixie without major problems.

im definitely not big on negotiation. Hoping it is a minor thing and never feels like its getting in the way. If its used very sparingly I could see it being a somewhat enjoyable little aside

Negotiation looks like a complete ballache, gosh. I had hoped they'd streamlined it.

Should have left it out. It's a garbage mechanic.

It looks more streamlined than ever before. Usually once you fail, they attack you and you're locked out for the rest of the battle and have to find the same demon again in random encounters to retry. So that's an advancement......I guess.

But I agree that negotiation is terrible, I havent played a game where its implementation has been good. Should have done something similar to Raidou, hit them with a weakness, then if you choose to capture them, have a simple QTE minigame or something.

Setsu00

I'm not a fan of negotiation either, but judging its implementation in Persona 5 by a video that's entirely in Japanese and with a host that messes up on purpose doesn't seem fair at all, especially when the dialogue with the Shadows seems rather funny.

Lunar15

Have any interviews with Hashino gone into why they brought negotiation back?

I actually like the implementation I've seen so far.

Have any interviews with Hashino gone into why they brought negotiation back?

I actually like the implementation I've seen so far.

4Gamer one seems to talk about it a bit. Something about being inspired by negotiating at gunpoint in heist movies, and making shadow's face their true self.

Strimei

Some of us enjoy it
I never had any problem with negotiations in SMT games tho, so my easy time might have made my time spent doing it not frustrating.

Question for you and anyone else that likes negotiations: Why? My experiences are like that comic or the whole "that's your grave!" joke. I never really saw the draw or how to enjoy it. Though I'll admit, the "that's your grave" is amusing, at least. Why do you like it? What's fun about it?

Dantis

I'm not a fan of negotiation either, but judging its implementation in Persona 5 by a video that's entirely in Japanese and with a host that messes up on purpose doesn't seem fair at all, especially when the dialogue with the Shadows seems rather funny.
I mean, it being in Japanese doesn't change anything. The host messing up maybe does?

I feel like it breaks the flow of the fight really badly (the music-swap kills me every time), and adds nothing meaningful at all. The idea of "LOL RANDOM" conversations with demons does not sound remotely appealing.

And if it takes time and adds nothing, then why is it there?

DNAbro

The switching music during a hold-up is just awful. Considering the main point of the battle system is to exploit weaknesses it's going to be switching way too much.

cheez124

Yeah. It'd be better if the music only switches up if you perform the negotiation rather than an all-out attack.
the weird thing is that the all-out attack videos for the characters had the battle music continue playing during hold ups, looks like they changed it for some reason

the weird thing is that the all-out attack videos for the characters had the battle music continue playing during hold ups, looks like they changed it for some reason

Don't take the music used in trailers to be that literal. Even with the E3 gameplay footage, a lot of the music wasn't what should actually be playing in game at that point.

Nimby

Banned
Question for you and anyone else that likes negotiations: Why? My experiences are like that comic or the whole "that's your grave!" joke. I never really saw the draw or how to enjoy it. Though I'll admit, the "that's your grave" is amusing, at least. Why do you like it? What's fun about it?

For SMT, I like the concept of negotiating with demons as it really sells the post-apocalyptic setting. It's always cool when an RPG gives you alternatives to fighting too. The execution however has been something the series has always struggled with, some games do it better than others and some games turn it into a chore. Sometimes the ambition isn't there either.

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member
Negotiation is awesome I don't know what's wrong with all of you. Lol.

Can you explain why?

Also, I like that Katsura and his team are trying to implement things that old school SMT fans love while also keeping to what Persona is. I don't know how the execution of this is going to turn out until I play the game, but I like that they even bothered to try never the less.

asagami_

Banned
I like mythology, so it's fun know a little more about the demons. They are enough hilarious many times and it's something it have roots on the original games, so, even I don't played Megami Tensei games since its inception, I have played a lot of them, so some way I'm kinda charmed with interact with demons.

One of my favorite instances of this is ironically on P1 & P2 (where I really dislike the negotiation system), where a Persona and a demon (or group of them) interact each other and they talk some cool stuff. It's easier on P2, but on P1 I only got a chat between my Persona Lilim and the demon Lilim. Man, now I am replaying Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker I would love if in the game there is some kind of negotiation system. Just for the old times.

Persona have the luck (and the compromise, 'cause Atlus definitely is going to reuse the assests on future titles and such) to get back the negotiation system.

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member
I like mythology, so it's fun know a little more about the demons. They are enough hilarious many times and it's something it have roots on the original games, so, even I don't played Megami Tensei games since its inception, I have played a lot of them, so some way I'm kinda charmed with interact with demons.

One of my favorite instances of this is ironically on P1 & P2 (where I really dislike the negotiation system), where a Persona and a demon (or group of them) interact each other and they talk some cool stuff. It's easier on P2, but on P1 I only got a chat between my Persona Lilim and the demon Lilim. Man, now I am replaying Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker I would love if in the game there is some kind of negotiation system. Just for the old times.

Persona have the luck (and the compromise, 'cause Atlus definitely is going to reuse the assests on future titles and such) to get back the negotiation system.

I admit the times I played SMT Nocturne, there are some funny conversations going on between demons, and I do like that. I just wish the execution of them were better. Like, less luck based somehow and not getting severely punished for it.

The switching music during a hold-up is just awful. Considering the main point of the battle system is to exploit weaknesses it's going to be switching way too much.
Talked about this before but the music switching so abruptly is really jarring.
There really isn't any need to change the music during the negotiations and it is even worse when the regular music suddenly starts playing again.
No idea what they were thinking with this.

cj_iwakura

Can you explain why?

Also, I like that Katsura and his team are trying to implement things that old school SMT fans love while also keeping to what Persona is. I don't know how the execution of this is going to turn out until I play the game, but I like that they even bothered to try never the less.

Personally? It gives demons personality. They have their own wants, and it humanizes them. Also gives each character a unique play on how to deal with them.

jzbluz

I like negotiations because I like recruiting demons for cannon fodder in fusions without having to pay for the compendium; not very efficient but it's fine when I just want a quick fusion. I also like getting extra money and items, and being able to skip a battle without running away, although the latter doesn't really work in P5.

I admit that the RNG can get pretty annoying (although I didn't really have an issue with it in SMTIV), but except when trying for fool cards, negotiations aren't random in P2, so I doubt/hope they aren't random in P5.

PK Gaming

I don't think the responses are actually shorter considering you can fit a ton of text with a few Japanese characters.

This is definitely going to be a problem in the English version though...

Top Bottom