• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

It gets better as you go. It's supposed to suck in the beginning because you're not supposed to be able to traverse very far if you're focusing on enemies and vice versa.

Ok.. I'll stick to it for a couple more of game sessions but if i cant make it work after that, i'll drop FES. I wanted to like this so much, dammit.

YOU DONT?!?!

Son of a bitch. You'd think ppl would mention THAT more in comparisons threads. I read a bunch of them and never saw that.

Presentation really matters to me but i hate this mechanic so much that i might actually buy portable just to get rid of it. :/

iirc, don't you have to buy an item to cure 'tired' state?
Kinda sounds like an easy way for the devs to backpedal on an unpopular mechanic.

Zolo

The 'Tired' mechanic didn't really bother me, though I can see how it'd be annoying in the first month or two. I guess that's because I wasn't as worried about maxing out stats at night time as much, so I didn't mind going back in.

Zolo

Pretty sure 'Great' status doesn't make you have that status longer as much as it just makes you better until you hit 'Tired'.

Ok, this condition crap is ruining P3 FES for me.

I barely go up two floors before my whole team getting tired. Wtf.

I already dont know how far am I supposed to go, how strong am i supposed to get and now I need to know which enemies to fight and which to dodge?

I cant even explore for treasure because i risk running into enemies i cant "afford" to fight before I reach a boss somewhere.

Oh but despite all that I managed to fight a fucking reaper as a lv 5 MC. :/

This is not fun so far.

Seriously guys, how am i supposed to handle tartarus early on?

Basically, if you can get to a blockade before you can get past it, you're powerful enough. The later the game progresses, the longer your teammates can go. I found the tired mechanic problematic in only the early game. If you actually want comparisons, i combined all the comparison posts i could a while back. I recommend sticking to FES if you really like the story

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174999360&postcount=920

Essentially, that is all it has that isn't subjective. I could care less that P3P plays like a visual novel, I still enjoyed it.

But this is pretty typical posturing between Persona fanbases, I found. Not only between the different games and eras, but between fans of the same game over which version they played.

It's perfectly reasonable since both games have features exclusive to them, and both are presented differently.

Nimby

Banned
You know, I never had any problems with the conditions or the autopilot party members. If I felt my party was getting rekt by mobs or getting tired I typically avoided as much contact as possible and got to the next mini-boss so I could terminal my way back and save, then focus on grinding if need be. I think FES is still the penultimate experience for the complete 3D navigation, the anime cutscenes and The Answer.

Makio

Holy shit we are in the "P3 Fes vs P3P" argument part of the thread again.

I cant wait for tomorrow when we started to talk about old Chie VA vs Erin Fitzgerald's Chie Voice again... or how bad Marie was in Golden Animation

Is gonna be fun days until the 14-15 th.

I cant wait for tomorrow when we started to talk about old Chie VA vs Erin Fitzgerald's Chie Voice again
... or how bad Marie was in Golden Animation

OHEMGEE!!! Don't get me started on Chie......

I cant wait for tomorrow when we started to talk about old Chie VA vs Erin Fitzgerald's Chie Voice again... or how bad Marie was in Golden Animation

Don't forget narrowing down Kanji's sexuality, gushing about Elly, arguing about the Liz subplot, or what merits the Arena games' plots had.

At least we can all agree Naoto isn't trans, right?
Canonically, I mean. Headcanons are your own business.

You know, I never had any problems with the conditions or the autopilot party members. If I felt my party was getting rekt by mobs or getting tired I typically avoided as much contact as possible and got to the next mini-boss so I could terminal my way back and save, then focus on grinding if need be. I think FES is still the penultimate experience for the complete 3D navigation, the anime cutscenes and The Answer.

Probably because i've spent 75+ hours with them, but AI teammates really, really don't bother me. I always use tactics though

Was playing P3 and a transformer blew up somewhere outside.

Thank god for save states.

Probably because i've spent 75+ hours with them, but AI teammates really, really don't bother me. I always use tactics though
The thing about AI teammates that bother me is when the teammate is strong against all the enemies, uses a strong attack to knock down one of the opponents, then instead of knocking down another one, decides to punch the one that had just been knocked down.

New Satonaka Fighter >>>>>> Old Bowl Haircut Downer.

As for Marie, that happened 5 pages ago. Spoiler, she is awesome.

What's everyone's stance on Old Teddie vs New Teddie, though? I'm assuming no one really talks about that because Dave Wittenberg is very obviously superior, although Jude gets a gold star for effort.

cj_iwakura

What's everyone's stance on Old Teddie vs New Teddie, though? I'm assuming no one really talks about that because Dave Wittenberg is very obviously superior, although Jude gets a gold star for effort.

They're pretty much indistinguishable, I think. It's funny how by P4D, the only vets left are Yu, Yukiko, and Yosuke.
And Nanako/Dojima, I think.

FluxWaveZ

I like Shadow Yukiko's face from Persona 4 the Pachinko.
CORn8xOU8AAM7-t.jpg:orig

Old Teddie sounds a bit cuter but I actually didn't notice his VA had changed for the first several hours of Golden.

HyperInuyasha

Neo Member
This thread should get a counter for whenever it gets sidetracked by:
  • Debating over FES vs P3P
  • Arguing over a character (which is almost always Marie)
  • Arguing over voice actors/actresses.

Also whether or not to play P1/P2.

Speaking of... I finally went ahead and started Persona 2: IS with not idea what to expect beforehand. I'm honestly enjoying it so far. I already like the cast and the plot is intriguing, but the gameplay doesn't seem to have aged super well. I'm still pretty early though.

• Play FES first, P3P second
  • Sho was here, Marie is a loser
  • OG cast is the best
  • Play 1 and 2 for Elly and Katsuya

I think you'll find my points impossible to argue against.

oti

Banned
Is The Animation on a streaming service (Netflix, Crunchy etc.)? I'd rather get a membership for a month than import three blu-rays from the UK to Germany. That seems to be the only option on Amazon at least.

Is The Animation on a streaming service (Netflix, Crunchy etc.)? I'd rather get a membership for a month than import three blu-rays from the UK to Germany. That seems to be the only option on Amazon at least.

It's on Hulu, if you can get past the geolock. It's not on Netflix or Crunchy afaik.

Sophia

Also whether or not to play P1/P2.

Everyone should play the Snow Queen route in Persona 1 so they understand the true power of despair. Despair that comes from reaching the boss of the dungeon, failing, and having to do three hours of gameplay all over again!

And for the truly masochist among us who no longer find that despairing, there is the Max Ambrosia run...

For anyone about to spark a debate over FES vs P3P again, i'll post this once again

As much as I love P3, i'm getting tired of the comparison debates

Certain things (like this post or something similar) should be in the OP imo. It's an endless cycle of deja-vu in here, only interrupted by pointless P5 release date speculation.

This thread should get a counter for whenever it gets sidetracked by:
  • Debating over FES vs P3P
  • Arguing over a character (which is almost always Marie)
  • Arguing over voice actors/actresses.

Wouldn't mind a dollar for every time each of those has been brought up.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the original P4A is available in Europe, P4A: Golden is on Crunchyroll though, at least where I live.

You could do some VPN tricks to watch it on Hulu or something but yeah....

cj_iwakura

Everyone should play the Snow Queen route in Persona 1 so they understand the true power of despair. Despair that comes from reaching the boss of the dungeon, failing, and having to do three hours of gameplay all over again!

The joy of backups.

Sophia

The joy of backups.

Ye who cheats using the PSP suspend save, be gone from this world. Ye have been judged in the name of God, and ye have been found not worthy.

Assuming a regular order difficulty run, it's not that hard past Hypnos Tower.... and Hypnos itself isn't hard at all if you prepare prior to starting the quest. Now Max Ambrosia runs it is perfectly acceptable to abuse the suspend save feature because that's hard enough as it is. ;_;

Setsu00

You just reminded me of the bizarre fact that Devil Survivor 2 The Animation was released in Germany with a German dub while there is at least no physical release of P4tA.

FluxWaveZ

And for the truly masochist among us who no longer find that despairing, there is the Max Ambrosia run...

I can't even imagine a max ambrosia run

I can't

Ok, for some reason, some quotes disable spoiler tags. Every time i quote they are still there, but i see other's quotes disable spoiler tags

If you need to re-edit, contain whatever is being spoiled between [SPOILER.] and [/SPOILER.] (without the period, that's just there so it doesn't actually spoiler tag my comment) to make sure it stays spoiler tagged

Is Persona 5 really going to be released in 2015? It's already September and there's still barely any info yet.
i hope persona 5 comes out in 2015 because then we wouldnt have to wait until 2016.
For anyone about to spark a debate over FES vs P3P again, i'll post this once again

As much as I love P3, i'm getting tired of the comparison debates
But that post doesn't mention that FES is better than portable.

Sophia

The cycle is real and it'll never be broken. Eternal Punishment.

Yup. That cycle has been going on since the very first thread, and arguably has it's roots in the unofficial zeroth thread. The cycle does change however. Remember the early ages of the cycle included "Insult Yosuke" in it?

I can't even imagine a max ambrosia run

I can't

It's certainly the hardest thing in any Persona game, especially if you don't cheat with the PSP Suspend feature or you're playing the original release. Probably up there among MegaTen challenges in general. You have to do a crazy amount of grinding and preparation even before you start it, and if you make a mistake you've lost three hours at best and possibly have to even start all over.

Top Bottom