• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Makio

PV02 was a joke. P4DAN owners can keep that.

The only things i love for that one was the music (better than the Pv01 track in my opinion) and we can finally hear the others guys Voice Actors ... beside that yeah nothing to get overhype is was like PV01 with reused scenes.

Only to tease ... since if was so exclusive , i was expecting a more longer and focus in gameplay (new things) trailer.

FluxWaveZ

PV02 is fantastic and people are just sour towards t it because they were anticipating this huge thing when it only turned out to be a short trailer with a lot of recycled footage.

But it was essentially what I wanted it to be. A thematic continuation of the previous trailers they put out for the game, tightly edited to make it flow as well as PV01 did. It showed enough new footage for me, and its another preview of the amazing music the game will no doubt have.

I'm glad Atlus is focused on not spoiling the fans, and it's in line with what I wanted them to show of P5 before its release, though the method (bundled in with P4D first-print copies) is still strange, along with the fact they haven't released it to the public yet.

This is another type of trailer we could have had instead, where rather than several brief cuts, we got one stretched out, quiet scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcGLfeni0og

Makio

This is another type of trailer we could have had instead, where rather than several brief cuts, we got one stretched out, quiet scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcGLfeni0og

The comment section in that trailer ... holy hell

But yeah i love too how both trailers of P5 leave more questions than answers , they tease everything but in the same time they no spoil too much.

My comment went in the side of the PV01 and 02 are basically the same thing or they dont change the focus or perspective (like you point out with the FF XV one)

Well the pv02 is what it is , still hyped the first time i see it, i was expecting more or course. But in the end i grateful they dont create that insane hype showing too much ...

I expect we can get more footage soon in the next trailers or info ... they got a lot of things to show left ... lets see how they handle that. (How much they keep for the game).

I also liked PV02 quite a bit, it expanded on some stuff shown in PV01 and it also teased a whole bunch of new stuff while never being totally clear as to what it's showing. I'm hoping that Atlus continues keeping their marketing vague because not only do I want to go into the game as blind as possible but also because it's just refreshing to see.

CorvoSol

Well now you've peaked my interest, I'll need to finish FF13 before I move onto another JRPG but I'm really looking forward to getting back to EP as despite my issues with the combat in IS I still had a fantastic time with it. Then if I have it in me I'll try and finish P1 this year, but if it's similar to P2 in terms of gameplay that might not happen.

I never even realised that Baofu had a chin beard and now I feel like my whole world view has shifted.

Drop all your other Persona games for P1.

It's like a billion times better than the duology EAT IT BUDDHA

Deep down I want Elly, Nanjo AND the Tatsuya scenario :(.

Breh, this is how you wind up playing both FeMC and P3MC at the same time every time you run the game

10 days left. I still bet on 12/22/2015.
I'm thinking 11/24, soley because P4D is coming out exactly a year after Ultimax, so P5 could be exactly a year after PQ.

Assuming no simultaneous worldwide release for P5, is anyone planning on importing? I know a few people here imported Ultimax and P4D, but P5 probably wouldn't be enjoyable if you don't know Japanese.

Assuming no simultaneous worldwide release for P5, is anyone planning on importing? I know a few people here imported Ultimax and P4D, but P5 probably wouldn't be enjoyable if you don't know Japanese.

I'm generally a very desperate person, but I only ever import full on RPGs if they're never coming out in English anyway
ps3 vesperia lmao

I can wait that month (or less) to import the US version, not sure if I'm up for waiting to 2083 for it to maybe get released in EU.

Zyrox

I'm thinking 11/24, soley because P4D is coming out exactly a year after Ultimax, so P5 could be exactly a year after PQ.

Yea I will import.
The US version, that is. /Europeasant

Gbraga

The problem with PV02, in my opinion, is that it came with P4DAN. You don't put a trailer full of reused footage behind a paywall, at least not usually, so people were expecting much more for that reason. If it was just a random trailer that popped up on their channel some day, people would be way more excited about it.

Nope. P4D is almost perfectly playable in Japanese, I'd never do the same thing for a full RPG.

The problem with PV02, in my opinion, is that it came with P4DAN. You don't put a trailer full of reused footage behind a paywall, at least not usually, so people were expecting much more for that reason. If it was just a random trailer that popped up on their channel some day, people would be way more excited about it.

The problem with PV2 is that we were expecting it to be a big blowout and the start of the Persona 5 marketing campaign, rather than a small bonus for P4D buyers.

Sophia

PV2 actually did had almost all new content. It's not like it was mostly devoid of anything new (I would know, I counted it!), but it really didn't feel like it was a fitting trailer for a paid bonus.

The actual content in it was pretty hype too.

Nimby

Banned
I liked PV02, I just feel a lot of people were expecting some blowout of information or a release date, and it just ended up souring the trailer.

I liked PV02's track and the new scenes, but like some of you are saying, to put that mere trailer behind a paywall will forever be crappy to me.

I'm kind of surprised to see people commenting on that being an odd trailer to lock behind a pre-order. Would you expect something with completely new content or just something different to a tightly edited 2 minute long trailer?

Sophia

I'm kind of surprised to see people commenting on that being an odd trailer to lock behind a pre-order. Would you expect something more extensive or just something different to a tightly edited 2 minute long trailer?

I think people expected something more extensive, especially for a game that is coming out this year. It really needs to emphasis: This was a two minute long trailer with repeat footage. It's a very short trailer when they're asking money for it. Having it come right after E3, the place you'd usually expect new footage at, didn't help either.

In an era where publishers and developers consistently trickle out content up to a game's release in order to keep it in the spotlight, it's a rather risky and unusual move to have such silence. Who knows if it'll pay off for Atlus or not? Personally I think the game is staying in the spotlight in spite of their marketing strategy, not because of it. :\

FluxWaveZ

I'm kind of surprised to see people commenting on that being an odd trailer to lock behind a pre-order. Would you expect something with completely new content or just something different to a tightly edited 2 minute long trailer?

If they were going to make a trailer exclusive to first-print copy editions of a spin-off, then I guess the content in PV02 would fit that. I think that's also why I'm more accepting of what it was; maybe I anticipated it.

But still, locking any trailer at all behind first-print copies is odd. Maybe for a limited period of time, but it's been more than 2 months. It's not like it would hurt to release it publicly, but I find it odd that they haven't, and probably won't (in the form that we see in the Special Blu-ray).

Oh yeah, and there was the part where it came right after E3 and many people discussed how something like it could have been shown there instead of reserved to the Blu-ray disc to make for a bigger splash. It seems PV02 really was more to sell P4D copies than actually promote P5, and they have more important plans for the latter.

PV02 is an alright second trailer, but not worthy of being a bonus for buying P4DAN it should have been a trailer released around E3 time or an E3 trailer.

Even ignoring the content of the trailer, it's still plain odd, if not stupid, to lock a trailer behind any preorder.
I think people expected something more extensive, especially for a game that is coming out this year. It really needs to emphasis: This was a two minute long trailer with repeat footage. It's a very short trailer when they're asking money for it. Having it come right after E3, the place you'd usually expect new footage at, didn't help either.
Yeah I agree with this as well. I expected a meatier trailer myself considering it was a preorder bonus.

I can totally see why people would expect something more than what we actually got considering the situation with E3, I also forgot that P4 had a trailer on a DVD before release that was stupidly long so there had been a similar situation in the past.

I 100% agree that locking a new trailer behind a pre order is just odd, and then Atlus was also taking down any videos of people uploading the trailer which is also really strange. Though that also makes more sense when you stop looking at the trailer as piece of marketing for P5 and look at it as a method to push DAN.

I'm interested to see if September 15th will be the start of the P5 marketing cycle or if Atlus will stay the course and keep P5 information sparse before release. I also wonder if they will actually bother to put out PV02 in a more open format at some point or if they'll cut some of the newer footage from it into another trailer.

To be honest, the fact that it was a pre-order bonus was a reason for me to think that the content wouldn't be that substansial.

Locking a little, slightly unique trailer behind a paywall is already a weird thing to do, doing the same but with a massive infodump would be even weirder.

To be honest, the fact that it was a pre-order bonus was a reason for me to think that the content wouldn't be that substansial.

Locking a little, slightly unique trailer behind a paywall is already a weird thing to do, doing the same but with a massive infodump would be even weirder.

While I also felt it wouldn't be substantial due to being behind a pre-order, I think that could also be seen as a reason to get a more substantial trailer.

Setsu00

Any hope for a retail release in EU in 2015 ? My original plans are to buy the digital US version.

The rational half of me says that there's still hope for a EU release in 2015 as long as they don't announce something else, but my emotional half says that we will have wait until 2016.

Assuming NISA publish it, the EU date could be anything from 3 days after the NA one to several months after. Not impossible that they might manage another Persona Q in terms of release, and considering it's a relatively high profile game, I can't see the delay being as bad as something like Etrian Untold 2 either.

so I just want you all to know that it is of my opinion that, notwithstanding the fact that P5 is third party, sony should push it as their big holiday release, consider they themselves admitted they've got nothing else.

cj_iwakura

so I just want you all to know that it is of my opinion that, notwithstanding the fact that P5 is third party, sony should push it as their big holiday release, consider they themselves admitted they've got nothing else.

Yakuza 5, too. Just put all the marketing dollars towards that.

Sophia

My logic was if anyone was going to go the route of a pre-order bonus in this day and age, they'd make it worth their while for their customers. Seems I was wrong there.

That's the funniest thing I've read and will read all day.

To be fair, I kind of want to see that too. Bu only because I'm hopelessly biased and really want to see Yakuza 0 come out in English. The PS4 demo of it is faaaantastic.

Nimby

Banned
To be fair, I kind of want to see that too. Bu only because I'm hopelessly biased and really want to see Yakuza 0 come out in English. The PS4 demo of it is faaaantastic.

I really wonder how Yakuza hasn't garnered up more appeal in the West. You play as a badass gang leader and you roam the streets beating the shit out of people, sounds pretty dudebro to me.

Sophia

I really wonder how Yakuza hasn't garnered up more appeal in the West. You play as a badass gang leader and you roam the streets beating the shit out of people, sounds pretty dudebro to me.

Well when every game in your franchise is delayed anywhere between a year and three getting just across the pacific ocean, copies of the latest installment are being sold as low as $10 to get rid of excessive stock, your latest installment brought over is on a system that's quickly being made irrelevant, you do almost no marketing whatsoever, and the only spinoff installment you bring over is a subpar shooting game.....

Well, lets just say it's not all that surprising to see that it hasn't taken off. Personally I find describing it as an "Open World Streets of Rage or Final Fight" works pretty well for selling it to people.

Nimby

Banned
Well when every game in your franchise is delayed anywhere between a year and three getting just across the pacific ocean, copies of the latest installment are being sold as low as $10 to get rid of excessive stock, your latest installment brought over is on a system that's quickly being made irrelevant, you do almost no marketing whatsoever, and the only spinoff installment you bring over is a subpar shooting game.....

Well, lets just say it's not all that surprising to see that it hasn't taken off. Personally I find describing it as an "Open World Streets of Rage or Final Fight" works pretty well for selling it to people.

Yeah, I guess a major part of the problem is marketing. Sega is so set on believing Yakuza will fail in the West, so they don't try to market it. But the only way your niche game can make a decent profit... is to market it. I hope they get that sorted out soon, Yakuza 0 looks too good to miss out on a Western release.

cj_iwakura

It's really nothing short of a miracle that Y5 is coming out here. The stars were aligned against it in every conceivable fashion. Massive script, niche franchise, digital only, guaranteed to have minimal sales, Sega not interested, etc.

Dantis

Because it's astoundingly long winded and very clunky.

Simple as.

cj_iwakura

Because it's astoundingly long winded and very clunky.

Simple as.

Just like Persona story modes. At least Yakuza switches things up. If I never see another damned 'power of friendship' arc in another Persona game, it'll be too soon.

I'll admit I have to refer to databases in Yakuza a lot, boy does that stuff get convoluted.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Whilst they're promoting Yakuza, they could do some marketing for Trails of Cold Steel too.

Unless I am missing something, why would Sega market Trials when that's an XSEED release?

PV02 was fine. People thirsty as fuck for more P5 info. I'm fine with what we get.

Just like Persona story modes. At least Yakuza switches things up. If I never see another damned 'power of friendship' arc in another Persona game, it'll be too soon.

I'll admit I have to refer to databases in Yakuza a lot, boy does that stuff get convoluted.

Is that still the case beyond 3 and 4?

Either way, Yakuza's certainly endearing in its sometimes straight-faced ridiculousness.

Unless I am missing something, why would Sega market Trials when that's an XSEED release?

PV02 was fine. People thirsty as fuck for more P5 info. I'm fine with what we get.

I thought the other posts were suggesting that Sony push Yakuza, and since Cold Steel is just as niche a PS3 game

Top Bottom