• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

JCX

1 and 2 are structured much more traditionally than 3 and 4. They still have the modern setting, charecter focus and themes that you'd expect from Persona, but they are older games which is made apparent when you play them.

The PSN ports are fine. P1P is far superior to the PSX one, especially when it comes to localisation, and Innocent Sin portable is the only way to play it in English anyway, at least without resorting to fan translations.

The main differences are the pacing of the plot, the battle system and the lack of S.Links if you ask me. P1, P2IS and P2EP tend to have way better pacing than P3 and P4. Story continues all the time and you don't have to wait for specific dates like in the later games as there is no calender system.

Gameplay is abysmal, story and characters are superb

It basically comes down to whether you can stomach the gameplay

Thanks for the impressions. If gameplay is that poor I'll probably pass.

FluxWaveZ

Well, a whole lot of nothing at TGS. But that "Hunt the Phantoms" promotion (or whatever it's called) starts on the 17th right? So their might be stuff relating to that both on stream and, more likely, just leaked online.

I don't think Flux was saying that, but Persona 5 will 100% definitely have showfloor presence, even if it's just a booth without being playable. It's on the map I posted a page or two back.

It's what Crimson implied. I was talking specifically about media of substance regarding Persona 5 before the "Persona Special Stage" event, for which I believe the Persona Channel TGS broadcast will be a whole lot of confusing nothingness just like the previous 2 streaming events have been.

84X

Banned
They already hee-have ho!

Hee who?

Agb7zGw.png

I don't think Flux was saying that, but Persona 5 will 100% definitely have showfloor presence, even if it's just a booth without being playable. It's on the map I posted a page or two back.

It's what Crimson implied. I was talking specifically about media of substance regarding Persona 5 before the "Persona Special Stage" event, for which I believe the Persona Channel TGS broadcast will be a whole lot of confusing nothingness just like the previous 2 streaming events have been.

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I think we're all saying basically the same thing, I just used a really poor choice of words by saying that P5 wouldn't be on the showfloor. It will definitely be there, but as of now I think the news coming from the Phantom Thief hunt will be more interesting than news from the showfloor. Either way, the Special Stage is the main attraction.

Anyone know what time the TGS showfloor actually opens? I'm guessing 9 or 10 JST, but I don't think I've actually seen an exact time given.

I wonder what P5's showfloor presence will be, I can't imagine it will be much as they're building towards something on Saturday. I guess it would be a good venue to put PV02 in front of some more people.

Alright PersonaGaf, I am digging in my heels and am finally going to play through Persona 1 (PSP version, I'm crazy not masochistic). I am doing this mainly for the story and to say I finally got through that game so I am putting it on Easy. Wish me luck. Anyone have any starting tips for me?

Oh, Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann jokingly sided himself with #TeamRuin on this week's bombcast. I got a good chuckle about that considering the discussions that have been had on here.

FluxWaveZ

Oh, Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann jokingly sided himself with #TeamRuin on this week's bombcast. I got a good chuckle about that considering the discussions that have been had on here.

To be fair, he immediately went back and said something akin to, "Eh, maybe that'll happen."

Makio

They showed a glimpse of PV02 with its music on the Sega TGS stream a few minutes back, btw.

Still wondering how high is the chance we get a new trailer this time (aka PV03) and not PV02 plus release date.

Im happy with any scenario , i want more trailers , but in the same time i like how we dont see too much from the game until now.

FluxWaveZ

Atlus USA CEO Naoto Hiraoka is there on the Sega TGS 2015 panel stream and talked about P5 after they showed the full PV02 again. From what I can tell, he didn't say much except for tease the poster campaign and the Persona Special Stage.

Makio

This make me happy because i was expecting Atlus be like "PV02 is super exclusive ... we are going to have a countdown just to show you this again".

But they reveal that trailer like nothing special... of course maybe a few people was surprised since dont saw the internet leaks... but yeah PV03 hype.

I hope we can get a new trailer with more gameplay mechanics , more focus in that aspect.

daevious

Atlus USA CEO Naoto Hiraoka is there on the Sega TGS 2015 panel stream and talked about P5 after they showed the full PV02 again. From what I can tell, he didn't say much except for tease the poster campaign and the Persona Special Stage.

Okay, odds are good that we're getting something substantial now.

Of course, I'm just expecting another 3 minute trailer, maybe 5 if we're lucky. The era of 30 minute blowouts on Persona titles have come and gone.

Darksol

That is reassuring ^_^

Squire

Banned
Okay, odds are good that we're getting something substantial now.

Of course, I'm just expecting another 3 minute trailer, maybe 5 if we're lucky. The era of 30 minute blowouts on Persona titles have come and gone.

According to who?

I don't know about 30 minutes as they've never done a demo that long (the videos for P3/4 were both like ~17 mins or something), but I think it's pretty realistic to expect a trailer and an actual demo at this point. It's a stage show.

FluxWaveZ

According to who?

I don't know about 30 minutes as they've never done a demo that long (the videos for P3/4 were both like ~17 mins or something), but I think it's pretty realistic to expect a trailer and an actual demo at this point. It's a stage show.

I would not expect a live demo.

Squire

Banned
I would not expect a live demo.

Different strokes. I really don't see them holding a stage event fit a single trailer a bunch of talk. They can do that on PSC.

Edit: To be clear though, I just mean game play. Not necessarily someone playing right there in the moment with a controller. Could be recorded b-roll.

FluxWaveZ

...Huh? Sega's "Phantom of the Masquerade" musical theater play. Theme song "PERSONA + MYSTERY."
Right...

Different strokes. I really don't see them holding a stage event fit a single trailer a bunch of talk. They can do that on PSC.

I think the Persona 5 clause still applies, and they'll be keeping things as under wraps as possible. Besides, I really don't see Persona as a game that demoes well for the period of time they'll have.

Edit: To be clear though, I just mean game play. Not necessarily someone playing right there in the moment with a controller. Could be recorded b-roll.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that's totally much more plausible, with it being very carefully edited as they have been doing for the trailers.

cj_iwakura

...Huh? Sega's "Phantom of the Masquerade" musical theater play. Theme song "PERSONA + MYSTERY."

Right...

I think the Persona 5 clause still applies, and they'll be keeping things as under wraps as possible. Besides, I really don't see Persona as a game that demoes well for the period of time they'll have.

Otome spin off confirmed.

Squire

Banned
Ah, I see. Yeah, that's totally much more plausible, with it being very carefully edited as they have been doing for the trailers.

Right. I mean, how many ways can this thing play out? They show the trailer, then they talk, but what's running in the background? The trailer again? Doesn't sound right. This is do or die territory. Show the game in some sort of substantial way or go home. We're already dealing with another silly three day stream. I'll be shocked and maybe even the slightest bit insulted if they actually get on stage and bullshit about trivia for an hour.

cj_iwakura

Right. I mean, how many ways can this thing play out? They show the trailer, then they talk, but what's running in the background? The trailer again? Doesn't sound right. This is do or die territory. Show the game in some sort of substantial way or go home. We're already dealing with another silly three day stream. I'll be shocked and maybe even the slightest bit insulted if they actually get on stage and bullshit about trivia for an hour.

I'm pretty sure they'll be announcing other things.

hughesta

Banned
wait, will the Special Stage (where new P5 shit will be shown) be at 12:30AM central time Saturday morning? If I'm reading that chart from earlier in the thread right, that's what it looks like, and that'd be fucking perfect.

please tell me I'm not wrong

Top Bottom