• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

84X

Banned
The design of the P5 cast is pretty lacklustre. (I'm not commenting on their personalities at all, keep in mind.)

P5MC is boring but he's the protagonist so whatever.
Ryuji seems alright, but nothing special.
Anne is easily the best but clearly has no essence of an original design. Excruciatingly clear.
Morgana is another mascot character that's better received since it's a cat.
Blue hair has moved into tacky territory at this point.

I guess their dullness is supposed to make their thief personas stand out but man is it doing nothing for me.

CrazyDude

The design of the P5 cast is pretty lacklustre. (I'm not commenting on their personalities at all, keep in mind.)

P5MC is boring but he's the protagonist so whatever.
Ryuji seems alright, but nothing special.
Anne is easily the best but clearly has no essence of an original design. Excruciatingly clear.
Morgana is another mascot character that's better received since it's a cat.
Blue hair has moved into tacky territory at this point.

I guess their dullness is supposed to make their thief personas stand out but man is it doing nothing for me.

I find they look better than P3 and P4 designs.

FluxWaveZ

Anne's profile reads like she's Lisa with less nuance. Weak.

To be fair, any character profile will lack the character's nuance because that's not their goal. They're meant to be a very superficial view of who they are to give one the vaguest idea about them. Here's Lisa's:

DoRTc49.jpg

Reading that, she sounds like a bland character that only has "foreigner" and "clingy" going for her. In a 50+ hour game, it's not possible to detail who they really are unless it's filled with a bunch of spoilers and is composed of paragraphs.

I don't think they're dull at all; I think you're in the very tiny minority here.

Lunar15

I've got good news for you.

Living up to my avatar.

I like this team's faces and hair better, but their clothes I'm not too hot on. Anne's looks kinda awkward with the red leggings and the hoodie that goes down to the edge of the skirt. Ryuuji's hanging suspenders and rolled up pant legs also look kinda dumb. Definitely interested to see their casual clothes, MC's already looks pretty great.

That said, it's all about theme for Soejima. P4's cast was made to look kinda plain given that they were rural folk. Delinquency is the name of the game here, so their clothes are slightly rebellious. If you think about it, Anne having a hoodie makes a lot of sense: she's self conscious about her "strange" looks so with a hoodie she can hide herself a bit.

I think what helps this cast is that there seems to be considerably more cut scenes which means we see them interacting with each other a bit more.

Can I just throw it out there that I love the sense of community here?

All of us with our own favorite characters n' such, all wearing dunce caps.

I love it.

Even if we were wrong.

I'm someone who has only seen PV01 but I think Ryuji is dull. I like Anne and P5MC's designs. Not sure if I would say they're better or worse than the previous cast.

Sophia

Can I just throw it out there that I love the sense of community here?

All of us with our own favorite characters n' such, all wearing dunce caps.

I love it.

Even if we were wrong.

You know who's not wearing a dunce cap because she was smart enough not to bet?

tumblr_inline_nhgfoqwg6aw7.gif

We do have a pretty awesome community tho, huh?

84X

Banned
I don't think they're dull at all; I think you're in the very tiny minority here.

I'm sure I am but I'm pretty confident that the majority are also just honeymooning the P5 cast right now.

I'll wait to play the game to actually judge them as characters.

FluxWaveZ

I'm sure I am but I'm pretty confident that the majority are also just honeymooning the P5 cast right now.

I'll wait to play the game to actually judge them as characters.

I'd say even that would be a pretty good sign, since people were so attached to the Persona 4 cast and a staggering amount of fans were saying stuff like they'd rather have a "Persona 4-2" or have Nanako be a party member or something. When most people who were saying that stuff actually came around to a whole new cast of characters? Atlus is doing something right.

wmlk

I like P4's cast designs better too, tbh. Everyone other than the MC in P5 disappoints me in terms of design.

P4 captured the small town vibe pretty well, and I've always preferred that style more.

Of course, I've yet to play the game. Still, I was immediately drawn in to designs like Yukiko and Kanji, and also characters like Mitsuru and Junpei from P3.

sakuori

Just saw Anne and Morgana's profiles.
I think I'm liking Morgana so far. Anne might be great but as others pointed out, a she's bit similar with Lisa.
Now Ryuji... need more info.

I'm thinking of going on a media blackout after TGS but gee, that seems a bit hard.

Weiss

Banned
I like P4's cast designs better too, tbh. Everyone other than the MC in P5 disappoints me in terms of design.

P4 captured the small town vibe pretty well, and I've always preferred that style more.

Of course, I've yet to play the game. Still, I was immediately drawn in to designs like Yukiko and Kanji, and also characters like Mitsuru and Junpei from P3.

I'm on the complete opposite end. Not only do I love their civvie designs, I am in love with their costumes.

Lunar15

I'd say even that would be a pretty good sign, since people were so attached to the Persona 4 cast and a staggering amount of fans were saying stuff like they'd rather have a "Persona 4-2" or have Nanako be a party member or something. When most people who were saying that stuff actually came around to a whole new cast of characters? Atlus is doing something right.

Not only that: the whole game just seems to be a totally different direction. Sure, all the familiar themes, tropes and gameplay mechanics will be there, but really everything else is a whole new ball game. It just feels so different. It feels like it's own thing.

Point is, they've made it this far by having the game stand on its own two legs without trying to re-assure people that it's from the people who brought you P4. It looks like something they really wanted to make.

After reading the latest character profiles I'm getting the feeling that this will be my favourite cast out of the Persona games. One of the biggest reasons for that is the fact that the protagonist looks like a big step up from previous games. I'm all for a Protag that's prepared to flash a cocky smile because he knows that he is really powerful.

84X

Banned

Yeah I can still agree with that.

After reading the latest character profiles I'm getting the feeling that this will be my favourite cast out of the Persona games. One of the biggest reasons for that is the fact that the protagonist looks like a big step up from previous games. I'm all for a Protag that's prepared to flash a cocky smile because he knows that he is really powerful.

Alllllll of this. All of it.

Chie and Yukiko's designs were annoying because their garish brightly colored jacket/sweater made them stand out way too much at school.

This is a big reason why I like the designs of the P5 cast more.

They have their identifying features but they're nowhere near as garish or in-your-face as Chie's Green, Yukiko's Red, and Rise's Pink/Orange.

Have I mentioned I love Anne's design yet? because I do. I really do.

Setsu00

I loved P4's small town vibe and its cast, but I'm so utterly relieved that P5 feels fresh in almost every way. I'm really looking forward to exploring Tokyo in 2057.

Theodoricos

P4's cast for the most part was a lot more down-to-earth, and that's one of the reasons it stood out to me compared to your usual JRPG gang. It'll take quite a bit for me to end up preferring P5's cast over it.

However, a similar look for the characters of P5 would've been inappropriate, and I'm glad that they took a completely different direction with them.

To be fair, any character profile will lack the character's nuance because that's not their goal. They're meant to be a very superficial view of who they are to give one the vaguest idea about them. Here's Lisa's:

DoRTc49.jpg

Reading that, she sounds like a bland character that only has "foreigner" and "clingy" going for her. In a 50+ hour game, it's not possible to detail who they really are unless it's filled with a bunch of spoilers and is composed of paragraphs.

Tatsuya is the blue haired boy?

PK Gaming

I guess "nuance" wasn't the right word, because i'm feeling outright dissatisfied with her so far. I don't like her character setup, because it seems very disingenuous to me. A 3/4th's Japanese girl with blond hair and blue eyes that is ostracized? Right, spare me the bullshit P-team. If they were going to go the Lisa 2.0 route, I was hoping they'd at least examine the privileges and disadvantages of being gaijin girl, but if she's pretty much a social outcast from onset then consider me irked.

I realize that we've only gotten a snippet of information on her so it's pointless to condemn her so early. Hell, knowing me, there's very good chance that i'll be completely enamored with her by the time I actually get around to playing the game. But even so, there's no getting around the fact that she cribs from Lisa and generally lacks ambition.

It'll be pretty cool to actually have a character deal with the ramifications of being "foreign" in such a homogeneous country as Japan.

They did that with Lisa in P2 (and it was amazing) and Bébé (which was okay.)

FluxWaveZ

I don't like her character setup, because it seems very disingenuous to me. A 3/4th's Japanese girl with blond hair and blue eyes that is ostracized? Right, spare me the bullshit P-team.

Wait, to be clear, are you saying this sounds unrealistic for Japanese society? Or is it just 'cause they've done it before? If it's the latter, I somewhat agree, and I hope that there's more to what they explore with her and that there are characteristics that set her apart from her predecessors. On the surface, she definitely just sounds like Ginko 2.0.

Remember, these bios are supposed to be as if a third party (the police) is writing them, hence why they say that the "Leader" looks shy and that ryuji is nothing but a delinquent. It's deliberately misleading to show how they appear from the outside.

Yeah, that's the main point I took from them.

Lunar15

PK I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm just confused.

You don't like that she's already a social outcast?

Remember, these bios are supposed to be as if a third party (the police) is writing them, hence why they say that the "Leader" looks shy and that Ryuji is nothing but a delinquent. It's deliberately misleading to show how they appear from the outside.

They don't even know what Morgana is and basically just think that she's a child wearing a hat.

Everyone at their school probably think Anne is a slut. lol.

But we all know that aint true.

We all know that blonde American women or obviously such sluts. It's a common fact </sarcasm>

You know who's not wearing a dunce cap because she was smart enough not to bet?

tumblr_inline_nhgfoqwg6aw7.gif

We do have a pretty awesome community tho, huh?

I got my own pointy hat.

You know, because we won. :)

Seriousness though, what time, pref in PST, the the concert thing and how many things are left for Atlus at tgc?

Squire

Banned

Remember, these bios are supposed to be as if a third party (the police) is writing them, hence why they say that the "Leader" looks shy and that Ryuji is nothing but a delinquent. It's deliberately misleading to show how they appear from the outside.

They don't even know what Morgana is and basically just think that she's a child wearing a hat.

Which is in keeping with typical Persona character portrayal/development. These characters will start in one place and we're all going to do 180s on how we feel about them (be that good or bad!) because Atlus actually understands what a character arc is.

MSMrRound

It's that time again...to loop the new Persona trailer on the shop's TV. Successfully increased people's awareness of Persona 5, even the family that usually only buy Nintendo games/amiibos paused to asked about which game it is.

It might be delayed, but damn, the new trailer was really great.

Both my colleague are insanely pumped by the all star Japanese VA cast, especially with the inclusion of Mizuki Nana and Yuuki Aoi, since we are also following the anime that they are currently lending their voices to, with that being Symphogear GX.

Lunar15

Yeah, but at the same time I'm also not expecting the characters to be as complex or interesting as P2's characters.

I have pretty grounded expectations.

It's that time again...to loop the new Persona trailer on the shop's TV. Successfully increased people's awareness of Persona 5, even the family that usually only buy Nintendo games/amiibos paused to asked about which game it is.

It might be delayed, but damn, the new trailer was really great.

Both my colleague are insanely pumped by the all star Japanese VA cast, especially with the inclusion of Mizuki Nana and Yuuki Aoi, since we are also following the anime that they are currently lending their voices to, with that being Symphogear GX.
I wish I worked at a cool place where I could do cool stuff like that. Instead we get Walmart commercials that tell kids "let's blaze" and another one where if you aren't really paying attention, it sounds like it says dick pics.

In FES, what happens if you don't complete Elizabeth's requests? Not the dates but the bring me this, do this. Do you just not get the goods? That it?

A.) Quoting this pic because I can't stop watching it

And

B.) Persona Q Dancing All Night confirmed?

Who are these haters hating on the P5 cast members' designs... Pffft, get out.

Anyways, I think I'm gonna love this cast. If Ryuuji's and Anne's profiles are anything to go by, this group is going to be comprised of perceived "misfits" and outcasts who don't fit in or feel that they belong anywhere. This is immediately endearing and makes me care for these people. I love it.

Sophia

Who are these haters hating on the P5 cast members' designs... Pffft, get out.

Anyways, I think I'm gonna love this cast. If Ryuuji's and Anne's profiles are anything to go by, this group is going to be comprised of perceived "misfits" and outcasts who don't fit in or feel that they belong anywhere. This is immediately endearing and makes me care for these people. I love it.

Just the idea of the cast being misfits alone is going to be exciting. We've always had one or two character types like it, but never the entire cast. If nothing else, it'll be very different from previous Persona games.

You guys are playing too safe.

Should live like this mofo:

The only way to win an avatar bet is to either not play or ensure you win even if you lose. :p

I think it would have been neat if Anne had been Brazilian-Japanese instead of White American-Japanese, because they still could have delved into similar (and, perhaps, more relevant) themes without it coming across as such a retread.

It's also perhaps a bit of a misstep to have two blonde characters in the squad if one of them is ostracized for being foreign.

PK Gaming

Wait, to be clear, are you saying this sounds unrealistic for Japanese society? Or is it just 'cause they've done it before? If it's the latter, I somewhat agree, and I hope that there's more to what they explore with her and that there are characteristics that set her apart from her predecessors. On the surface, she definitely just sounds like Ginko 2.0.

It's both.

Except by her own admission she says that people actively avoid/ignore her. If she was a minority/frumpy I'd totally buy it, but a statuesque stunner with highly desirable blond hair and blue eyes? Yeah ok.

I think it would have been neat if Anne had been Brazilian-Japanese instead of White American-Japanese, because they still could have delved into similar (and, perhaps, more relevant) themes without it coming across as such a retread.

It's also perhaps a bit of a misstep to have two blonde characters in the squad if one of them is ostracized for being foreign.

Yes, I agree completely.

Top Bottom