• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I like that the thieving crew seem to be somewhat known to the populace. P3 and P4 operated totally in secret, and now the crew that really should be operating in secret has actual notoriety, heh.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, a lot of the immediate reactions I've heard from the media is how it seems the stakes are initially higher compared to P3 and P4, and it does seem that way. I liked the fact that the exploits of the characters were kept hidden from society in Persona 3 and 4, but I also like the concept that they aren't for 5, or that the crazy shit they're doing doesn't necessarily carry over to the perception of the populace but still puts them at the center of attention.

Also, I like Persona 2's writing, but one thing I can tell Persona 5 has over it already is the fact that people actually respond to the craziness going on, as you'd expect them to. In Persona 2, it's blatantly obvious that rumors are becoming real and demons are invading the freakin' city. The response of the NPCs? "Oh, we don't go to the second floor of this store because demons are roaming around. Whatever, we put barricade tape there, it's totally fine." Everyone is so nonchalant about the fact that there are demons walking around and that there's stuff like a bully walking around, asserting his power over normal people with a Persona.

That's the best part, though. You get to hear people's rumors about your exploits.

Makes me excited for the endgame, because if it's anything like the endgame of P3 and P4
the last month or so will have a notably more depressing air, only instead of people talking about the Lost or the Fog, they'll be talking about you.

Lunar15

I absolutely love how you can see text bubbles of chit-chat as you walk through the city. Totally lends itself to the idea of a phantom thief hearing the rumors of his exploits.

Makio

Whoever who find the "volleyball king" been a boss about
lust / stalker for Anne
is my personal hero.

Kinda confirm my theory the 7 deadly sins are represent in the dungeons not the main characters.

Wonder what sin represents the one it looks like
space station , sci fi plataform

Whoever who find the "volleyball king" been a boss about
lust / stalker for Anne
is my personal hero.

Kinda confirm my theory the 7 sins are represent in the dungeons not the main characters.

Wonder what sin represents the one it looks like
space station , sci fi plataform

Pride?

cj_iwakura

Yeah, a lot of the immediate reactions I've heard from the media is how it seems the stakes are initially higher compared to P3 and P4, and it does seem that way. I liked the fact that the exploits of the characters were kept hidden from society in Persona 3 and 4, but I also like the concept that they aren't for 5, or that the crazy shit they're doing doesn't necessarily carry over to the perception of the populace but still puts them at the center of attention.

Also, I like Persona 2's writing, but one thing I can tell Persona 5 has over it already is the fact that people actually respond to the craziness going on, as you'd expect them to. In Persona 2, it's blatantly obvious that rumors are becoming real and demons are invading the freakin' city. The response of the NPCs? "Oh, we don't go to the second floor of this store because demons are roaming around. Whatever, we put barricade tape there, it's totally fine." Everyone is so nonchalant about the fact that there are demons walking around and that there's stuff like a bully walking around, asserting his power over normal people with a Persona.

It's in the devil summoner universe(hi Tamaki) so maybe people are just more used to it.

Having the party be less secretive makes a load of sense when you consider the whole emancipation theme, when the characters take on their Phantom persona they're basically a symbol of freedom to everyone else who is tied down.
The trailer kind of gives the impression the game will go that route of the phantoms using themselves as symbols as there is the shot of the MC revealing himself to the public. That could just be taken as him being smug and wanting to show off but it could also be him trying to spark a change by showing that it is possible to not be tied down.

Squire

Banned

I interpreted that as antiquated video game hokiness that most people just took as part of the charm. I agree with you though, what they seem to be doing now is preferable.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Riffing on Flux's theory about the boss pictured in the new trailer
I'm assuming that Anne's stalker is on one of the school sports teams.

I know everyone moves in a very stylised way but in PV01 Anne totally moves like a figure skater, so it's possible that she's either on a sports team, or maybe a member of a cheerleading squad. Her outfit looks kind of cheerleader-ish, but that doesn't necessarily mesh with what we've been told so far about her feeling like/being an outsider.

Makio

But i suppose the p5 cast personas are fictional characters from books or novels and not actual / real people.

Like Morgana's El Zorro or MC's Arsene (Lupin).

People says Ryuji Pirate is Blackbeard , but that pirate wasnt fictional too and dont fit with the other persona.

PD: Beaten by Zolo

cj_iwakura

Riffing on Flux's theory about the boss pictured in the new trailer
I'm assuming that Anne's stalker is on one of the school sports teams.

I know everyone moves in a very stylised way but in PV01 Anne totally moves like a figure skater, so it's possible that she's either on a sports team, or maybe a member of a cheerleading squad. Her outfit looks kind of cheerleader-ish, but that doesn't necessarily mesh with what we've been told so far about her feeling like/being an outsider.

Also the boss who uses the nuclear attack has a volleyball.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think they're going for real people.

Ishikawa Goemon was real, and that's obviously not-Jun's Persona.

But still, I agree that the criteria isn't "any semi-famous criminal in history." There's a specific theme that Hashino is going for with these Personas, notably pertaining to picaresque romance.

If Ryuji's Persona is Captain Kidd and Anne's Persona is Belle Starr, and it's practically confirmed not-Jun's Persona is Goemon, one of the consistent points is that those are all characters who met tragic ends fighting for what they believed in.

Makio

If Ryuji's Persona is Captain Kidd and Anne's Persona is Belle Starr, and it's practically confirmed not-Jun's Persona is Goemon, one of the consistent points is that those are all characters who met tragic ends fighting for what they believed in.

Holy Shit and the thing Anne been part American kinda makes sense with
Belle Starr
persona.

Makio

Wonder if the antagonist this time is a persona user , i can totally see a
Sherlock Holmes or Countess Cagliostro
based persona.

And if the lady who
interrogates the phantom how to stole hearts
it is i choose the later since is the opposite of Arsene.

I would love for this game to have an antagonist that uses a Persona. I'm all for rival characters in video games so give me a detective with a Persona who is hunting the Phantom and I'm 100% on board.

Darksol

I would love for this game to have an antagonist that uses a Persona. I'm all for rival characters in video games so give me a detective with a Persona who is hunting the Phantom and I'm 100% on board.

He could be named Gary, and always be one step ahead of the gang! ;)

Zolo

Well-meaning detective character chasing after the thieves is pretty much a staple of the genre. I'd be VERY surprised if Persona 5 didn't have one.

Weiss

Banned
I'm wondering whether we're going to see an Inspector Zenigata, or if we're going to see another authoritarian Persona user who clashes with the team and maybe comes to their side.

FluxWaveZ

One of Hashino's direct inspirations for Persona 5 is "The Fiend With Twenty Faces" and, while this was for his "Phantom" inspirations (which have so far been Personas) instead of "Picareseque" inspirations (i.e. story), there's still this:
When 1930s Tokyo is threatened by a master thief who claims he can take on any disguise and stymie any matter of law enforcement, the people of the city have nowhere else to turn but Japan’s greatest detective, Akechi Kogorō. Unfortunately for Tokyo, however, Akechi Kogorō is off on overseas business, so it becomes the job of his 12-year old assistant, Kobayashi Yoshio, to track down the thief and desperately keep him at bay until his mentor returns.

Well-meaning detective character chasing after the thieves is pretty much a staple of the genre. I'd be VERY surprised if Persona 5 didn't have one.

I certainly won't be surprised if P5 has a detective who goes from hunting you to working with you. This would also allow for the game to give us a non highschool student party member which I would really like.

Has there ever been a Persona game that didn't have a human, persona-using antagonist?

I'm more interested in the rival side of it than just an antagonist, plus a lot of the previous persona-using antagonists kind of suck.
P4 Spoilers
Adachi is a great but he's not really a rival character, you fight him once and that's it.

Top Bottom