• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I think it would have been neat if Anne had been Brazilian-Japanese instead of White American-Japanese, because they still could have delved into similar (and, perhaps, more relevant) themes without it coming across as such a retread.

It's also perhaps a bit of a misstep to have two blonde characters in the squad if one of them is ostracized for being foreign.
This. Except the blonde dude looks like the new kanji+akihiko combined.

FluxWaveZ

It's both.

Except by her own admission she says that people actively avoid/ignore her. If she was a minority/frumpy I'd totally buy it, but a statuesque stunner with highly desirable blond hair and blue eyes? Yeah ok.

Hm, are you perhaps underestimating the significance of the impact homogeneity has on Japanese society and how they perceive outliers? Because you're making it sound like a beauty with blonde hair and blue eyes is perceived the same way in Japan as in Western society, which I'm pretty sure it isn't.

When (Persona 4 spoiler)
Teddie's human form was created, its design was influenced by the Western perception of beauty, to keep the "foreign" origins of Teddie throughout his human form.

It is very much known that blondes are desirable/somewhat idolized in Japanese culture. PK has a good point with that.

Is it? I actually don't know much about that other than their direct association with Western culture in Japanese media, and the rest comes from the typical information one hears about outliers and racism in the country.

If so, then that's a valid point, though I'm not sure Anne's an outlier because she has American blood.

I think Teddie being white is funny because it makes me imagine Yosuke trying to explain all of Teddie's idiosyncrasies to his parents/managers/basically everyone as "He's American" and then everyone being like "Oh, that explains it."

Embed not images into this thread, for if you do you will soon be dead.

Lunar15

Maybe, just maybe, there's another reason people avoid her. Maybe it just appears it's her foreign nature, but perhaps there's something she did to cause people to be weird around her.

Either way, we don't know the full story yet.

EDIT: I just noticed those statues of butts in the background of that boss fight.

FluxWaveZ

Boss involving Anne?

Remember this thread's rule.

Haven't we been breaking it this whole time? I don't disagree with you, but I guess I need some more clarification about what's allowed and what's not.

Misread.

Yep, it's about the embed. No embedding images, especially since that's a boss.

We can't really openly talk about plot points from the new media, either, and that's approaching the danger territory.

Sophia

Except by her own admission she says that people actively avoid/ignore her. If she was a minority/frumpy I'd totally buy it, but a statuesque stunner with highly desirable blond hair and blue eyes? Yeah ok.

Being a "half-breed" in Japan probably does make her a huge social outcast, actually. Probably not so much as she would be if she were of another ethnicity.

The reality in Japan is that you're either Japanese (in race, looks, and nationality) or you're not. And if you're not, you always have to deal with the fact that you're not, and every person you meet will likely remind you of that in some way.

Boss involving Anne?

Starting to think we need a "READ THE OP" in the topic title now.

Haven't we been breaking it this whole time? I don't disagree with you, but I guess I need some more clarification about what's allowed and what's not.

We've been occasionally skirting the line on the first rule a bit, especially in regards to stuff that's displayed clearly in the profiles and in regards to speculation. But Rules 2 and 3 have been firmly enforced barring a few cases of people forgetting or not reading the OP.

wmlk

I think it would have been neat if Anne had been Brazilian-Japanese instead of White American-Japanese, because they still could have delved into similar (and, perhaps, more relevant) themes without it coming across as such a retread.

It's also perhaps a bit of a misstep to have two blonde characters in the squad if one of them is ostracized for being foreign.

I never thought of it liked that. Still, wouldn't Anne have to dye her hair anyway? She's only a quarter. It's a bit strange.

FluxWaveZ

Being a "half-breed" in Japan probably does make her a huge social outcast, actually. Probably not so much as she would be if she were of another ethnicity.

The reality in Japan is that you're either Japanese (in race, looks, and nationality) or you're not. And if you're not, you always have to deal with the fact that you're not, and every person you meet will likely remind you of that in some way.

John Hardin talked about how someone spit on him for being white when he went to Japan at one point, even though most of the people there he's met have been kind.

Its like people have 0 confidence in P.Team's writing anymore.

I think most of us do. These community threads have always had skepticism from a few regarding anything involving P Studio, whether it's character design, writing, gameplay, story, music or anything else. This becomes especially prevalent when we're exposed to brand new things in the series for a brand new game.

PK Gaming

Hm, are you perhaps underestimating the significance of the impact homogeneity has on Japanese society? Because you're making it sound like a beauty with blonde hair and blue eyes is perceived the same way in Japan as in Western society, which I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Of course not. Like I mentioned earlier, there are advantages and disadvantages to being a beauty with blond hair and blue eyes in Japan. I just don't believe for a second that people would avoid her, especially in a culture that highly values natural blond hair, great hair and pale skin. I mean jesus, Lisa's entire character ran counter to this; people wouldn't stop getting in her face about her ethnicity to the point where it made her self-conscious and lonely. Not fitting in was an important aspect of Lisa's character as well, but they didn't contrive a scenario where she was a social pariah (in fact she was one of the most popular kids in school)

And the best/worst part is that Anne is 3/4th's Japanese.

It is very much known that blondes are desirable/somewhat idolized in Japanese culture. PK has a good point with that.

Exactly.

Maybe, just maybe, there's another reason people avoid her. Maybe it just appears it's her foreign nature, but perhaps there's something she did to cause people to be weird around her.

Either way, we don't know the full story yet.

That's what i'm currently banking on. Hopefully that, or her personality contributes to her isolation.

Squire

Banned
I never thought of it liked that. Still, wouldn't Anne have to dye her hair anyway? She's only a quarter. It's a bit strange.

I think Soejima's coloring is trying to illustrate that Ryuji dyes, but Anne is natural. I forgot about the 3/4th part though, that is weird.

This cannot be stated enough. The amount of gun jumping based on 2 sentences and a character design is astonishing.

Its like people have 0 confidence in P.Team's writing anymore.

ThisIsNeoGAF.gif

Seriously though, o completely agree.

Of course not. Like I mentioned earlier, there are advantages and disadvantages to being a beauty with blond hair and blue eyes in Japan. I just don't believe for a second that people would avoid her, especially in a culture that highly values natural blond hair, great hair and pale skin. I mean jesus, Lisa's entire character ran counter to this; people wouldn't stop getting in her face about her ethnicity to the point where it made her self-conscious and lonely. Not fitting in was an important aspect of Lisa's character, but they didn't contrive a scenario where she was a social pariah (in fact she was one of the most popular kids in school)

You seem frustrated to an extent you rarely are. There's going to be more to Anne than hair color and genetics, man. Keep the faith.

FluxWaveZ

Of course not. Like I mentioned earlier, there are advantages and disadvantages to being a beauty with blond hair and blue eyes in Japan. I just don't believe for a second that people would avoid her, especially in a culture that highly values natural blond hair, great hair and pale skin. I mean jesus, Lisa's entire character ran counter to this; people wouldn't stop getting in her face about her ethnicity to the point where it made her self-conscious and lonely. Not fitting in was an important aspect of Lisa's character, but they didn't contrive a scenario where she was a social pariah (in fact she was one of the most popular kids in school)

Hm, then I'm with Reanimatoin here and I think you're fully jumping the gun on this one. We barely know anything about her except for two sentences off of the third-hand character profile info from an unreliable narrator. You're making a lot of assumptions about how people actually treat her or how she feels where she lives.

Sophia

John Hardin talked about how someone spit on him for being white when he went to Japan at one point, even though most of the people there he's met have been kind.

Yeah, that's a fantastic example of what I mean. And even the people who are nice are unknowingly going to remind you that you're a foreigner, even if it's in reaction differently when meeting you for the first time. It's the unfortunate nature of having monocultural society.

I'm actually kind of glad that they're re-tackling the subject matter too. It's more relevant than ever to modern Japan.

This rule is t going to do any actual good, I'm just curious how long it'll take you guys to reach that conclusion.

Like I said. Rules 2/3 have been enforced fairly consistently and without much issue. Someone makes a mistake, we kindly remind them to remove it. Rule 1 is pretty much a lost cause at this point tho. People are already discussing plot points openly with no spoiler tags.

It's kind of an odd rule to enforce too, seeing as anyone not watching the trailers is also very likely not visiting this thread anymore for complete media blackout.

Lunar15

Ryuuji's hair is definitely "kanji'd". He's a delinquent, so he bleached it.

I think the other reason they made him blonde and the other guy brown haired is because the MC's hair is black. Soejima likes to make his MC's stand out.

There's actually a ton of awesome subtleties in the designs. I think the reason MC has black hair this time is because that's really common. MC's design is built around him being completely unassuming. He wears his school outfit with no flair, he's got big glasses which make him look vulnerable, and his hair covers his eyes making him seem closed off.

Alternatively, his "partners in crime" all seem to stick out like sore thumbs, they're already "delinquents". In many ways, it's the opposite of P4. In that game, Yu was stylish and manly to drive home the point that he was definitely not from around Inaba, while his friends were all somewhat plainer looking, wearing track jackets and knitted sweaters.

PK Gaming

You seem frustrated to an extent you rarely are. There's going to be more to Anne than hair color and genetics, man. Keep the faith.

Heh, you're probably right. I mean it's Hashino; the guy has definitely got vision and he's only gotten better as the games have gone along. Hopefully he delivers.

Hm, then I'm with Reanimatoin here and I think you're fully jumping the gun on this one. We barely know anything about her except for two sentences off of the third-hand character profile info from an unreliable narrator. You're making a lot of assumptions about how people actually treat her or how she feels where she lives.

I know i'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I think her "You're a strange person, aren't you? Even though everybody avoids/ignores me, you..." quote definitely gives me a leg to stand on. Unless she's lying and part of her problems include a persecution complex. Man, that would be cool.

FluxWaveZ

I know i'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I think her "You're a strange person, aren't you? Even though everybody avoids/ignores me, you..." quote definitely gives me a leg to stand. Unless she's lying and part of problem is a persecution complex. Man, that would be cool.

Well, that's the thing. "Foreigner" isn't the only reason people avoid someone. Ryuji's also talking about how no one cares about what he has to say. She might be part American without it actually being a significant factor regarding who she actually is at all. Maybe it's a factor, but she let it become one herself and—similar to what you say—she has some sort of complex about it that causes her to put up a front and antagonize those she's around because she feels like she doesn't belong, even though those around her don't really care (again, this would support the Deadly Sins theory if she was "Envy").

Everyone avoids her because foreigners look directly at your face when speaking and then sue you when you make eye contact.

NtmRlSd.png

PK Gaming

Well, that's the thing. "Foreigner" isn't the only reason people avoid someone. Ryuji's also talking about how no one cares about what he has to say. She might be part American without it actually being a significant factor regarding who she actually is at all. Maybe it's a factor, but she let it become one herself and—similar to what you say—she has some sort of complex about it that causes her to put up a front and antagonize those she's around because she feels like she doesn't belong, even though those around her don't really care (again, this would support the Deadly Sins theory if she was "Envy").

Hmm, I guess there are different ways of looking at it. I would definitely really like it if her character followed the route you described, and it seems like a possibility now that I think about it. Though we're in pure, wild speculation territory so i'll drop it for now.

Anyway sorry about that guys, I didn't mean to bring the mood down with my negativity.

Lunar15

Hmm, I guess there are different ways of looking at it. I would definitely really like it if her character followed the route you described, and it seems like a possibility now that I think about it. Though we're in pure, wild speculation territory so i'll drop it for now.

Anyway sorry about that guys, I didn't mean to bring the mood down with my negativity.

Nah, it's all fair points, and if there's one thing I don't like, it's a constant circle jerk.

I'm not exactly expecting Shakespearean writing, but it'll probably be fun with some surprising moments of depth and poignancy. That's Persona for me.

wmlk

One day, we'll see an engine that can faithfully replicate Soejima's amazing designs.

That day will be a glorious day.

Weiss

Banned
Not the best image but:
http://personacentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Anne-Takamaki-Flames-720x340.jpg

You can see the same statues/pillars in the background. So, proably, yea.

Given that she's actively participating in the fight, maybe that's where she first awakens to her Persona, and the boss there (is that the guy who sprouts Fly wings? Are we seeing P5's Beelzebub?) is possibly her stalker. That would tie into PV02's scene where someone reaches out to a scared Anne with Ryuji and the MC reacting to it.

FluxWaveZ

Ah crap, I think I've looked too deep and inferred too much because of all this talk about Anne and a dungeon. I guess here's what I've come up with:

- Anne has a stalker: http://i.imgur.com/Ru02h7d.jpg
- Either one or both of Anne's sound bites on her character page refer to this person. "1: You’re a strange person, aren’t you? Even though everybody avoids/ignores me, you…." for when she first meets him, or "2: I’m not so cheap a woman that someone like YOU could just do as he pleases" when she comes to dislike him.
- When in PV#03 Anne says "You're not human! You're just a demon who craves relationship!" she's directly speaking to that boss that has a form of her in its cup: https://36.media.tumblr.com/0da32aa7a1c2b1ae481c3d6ec576fae7/tumblr_nuvgmaXevK1sutdsuo3_400.png
- That boss is the stalker, and given its a boss, it's presumably the climax of a dungeon, or one of them.
- The stalker is obviously a human, so this means that the boss represents that stalker's "heart" and that the dungeon—or that section of it—revolves around it.
- When Anne is calling that boss a "demon," she still means it figuratively, even though she's talking to a monstrosity. She's talking to the warped heart of her stalker, debasing him by calling him a "demon."

Noted. He runs around school without them in his pockets, though.

I can't recall if P3MC did the same.

Either way, like Vincent: Awesome.

Given that she's actively participating in the fight, maybe that's where she first awakens to her Persona, and the boss there (is that the guy who sprouts Fly wings? Are we seeing P5's Beelzebub?) is possibly her stalker. That would tie into PV02's scene where someone reaches out to a scared Anne with Ryuji and the MC reacting to it.

Yeah, guess we're on a similar track.

I gotta start ignoring these discussions more intently.

Every western character in Japanese media is blonde. In Persona we have Lisa, Bebe and now Anne. lol

And where did this talk about her being 3/4 Japanese came from?

Note to self: stop clicking spoiler tagged stuff.

So used to just reading up everything in thos thread since I've already played it, but now....

I really want to go in as blind as possible.

The answer is very likely the second one. PR Managers are told what they need to know, and not much more. As funny as the "Hardin Lied" meme is, he's too much of a nice dude for it to be the first one.

Hardin is one of the best PR managers i have ever seen, i highly doubt he's hiding stuff. The amount of people here who THINK they know how stuff is handled between closed doors is staggering, though.

Am I the only one who wants a sequel to P3/P4 rather than a remaster/HD/collection?

I just want a P3 Definitive version, but i won't say no to an updated version either

Need an Aigis Game, Bayonetta style.

Been wanting this for a loooong time

I'm with Flux on this one; immediately prefer the P5 cast to the P4 cast.

i haven't watched PV3 yet (cause i'm a lazy bastard) but Anne and Morgana seem like character's i'd like alot. Possibly Ryuji if he has his (Vague P3 spoiler)
"Junpei moments"
later in the game

Can I just throw it out there that I love the sense of community here?

All of us with our own favorite characters n' such, all wearing dunce caps.

I love it.

Even if we were wrong.

I ain't taking no avatar bets. Aigis forever

Just the idea of the cast being misfits alone is going to be exciting. We've always had one or two character types like it, but never the entire cast. If nothing else, it'll be very different from previous Persona games.

The only way to win an avatar bet is to either not play or ensure you win even if you lose. :p

Yep, i already love the themes they've been showing that
focus around society

I can't recall if P3MC did the same.

Yes, he ran around with hands in pockets, it was one of his movement animations

Also holy crap, 5+ pages in half a day, i can't remember a time PGAF burned through pages faster (other than before i joined)

FluxWaveZ

Yes, he ran around with hands in pockets, it was one of his movement animations

Oh, so then that's a no. I forgot if P3MC took his hands out of his pockets like the P5MC does specifically when he has to run.

Edit: Wait, you're wrong. I'm watching gameplay footage right now and the P3MC takes his hands out of his pockets when he runs, just like the P5MC.

P3MC runs with both hands in pockets and out of pockets depending on what stance he was in beforehand I believe.

That sounds right, though I was mainly concerned with if he ever took his hands out to run. I wonder if P5MC will be the same. Not being able to have the P4MC stick his hands in his pockets was one of the things I disliked the most when I started playing P4!

Zolo

P3MC runs with both hands in pockets and out of pockets depending on what stance he was in beforehand.

Edit: In other words, if he was standing with his hands in pockets before, he'll run with them in there, and if he has his hands to his sides, he'll run normally I believe.

Lunar15

To echo everyone else, yeah: two animations.

Anywho, safe to assume that MC's main weapon is a chain, right? Not sure why, but the way he uses it in the trailer gives me that impression. I used to think it was how he summoned his persona, but now we know that's it's the masks. It could still be symbolic, like he holds it for every persona he uses, however it's the fact that he whips it at the screen that makes me think that it's actually his primary melee weapon.

I completely forgot: His main weapon is a dagger. We've known this since PV01.

That leads me into another thing: No one holds their weapons while running in the dungeon. If that's the case, how are pre-emptive strikes initiated?

FluxWaveZ

To echo everyone else, yeah: two animations.

Anywho, safe to assume that MC's main weapon is a chain, right? Not sure why, but the way he uses it in the trailer gives me that impression. I used to think it was how he summoned his persona, but now we know that's the masks. It could still be symbolic, like he holds it for every persona he uses, however it's the fact that he whips it at the screen that makes me think that it's actually his primary melee weapon.

You're forgetting that everyone's main weapon was already confirmed in PV01. P5MC uses knives and short swords. Anne uses a whip. Ryuji uses blunt weapons (he's seen using a steel pipe). Morgana uses swords.

Lunar15

You're forgetting that everyone's main weapon was already confirmed in PV01. P5MC uses knives and short swords. Anne uses a whip. Ryuji uses blunt weapons (he's seen using a steel pipe). Morgana uses swords.

I caught myself.

I'm falling into over-analyzation mode with this game. I might truly need to go full blackout after this weekend.

And the guns were;
MC - Pistol
Ryuji - Shotgun
Anne - SMG
Morgana - Slingshot

Right?

Calling it now, fox guy will have a paintball gun.
Dont take this seriously

FluxWaveZ

That leads me into another thing: No one holds their weapons while running in the dungeon. If that's the case, how are pre-emptive strikes initiated?

Check the developer interview gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLYUlWvyNu8

When the P5MC approaches an enemy, a prompt to attack comes up and his stance changes.

Calling it now, fox guy will have a paintball gun.
Dont take this seriously

Not sure sniper rifle would fit for whatever that rushdown move is, but I'm guessing he'll have a firearm known for precision and/or nobility.

Top Bottom