• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

PK Gaming

Re: Persona 5's difficulty

Supposedly it's much closer to an SMT game than a Persona game. Keep in mind, SMT games generally aren't that hard once you reach a certain point in the difficulty curve (or you decide to outright break the game, lol), but I have it on good faith that the game is well balanced on your first run, especially on higher difficulties.

Re: Character viability

The P5 characters function fairly similarly to the P4 characters, but similar to PQ, characters have signature skills.

If you're curious about how each character functions, feel free to read on.

Joker:
What do you think?
Ryuji:
Physical attacker with Zio and some support skills. Gets single target and multi target physical moves including gems like Matarukaja and Power Charge. Total beast!
Anne:
Magical caster with Agi, Tarunda, single target healing, support and status skills. Supposedly underwhelming due to her pathetically low HP and general lack of versatility.
Morgana:
Magical caster with healing, physical and support skills. Basically a wind version of Teddie and supposedly essential during boss fights.
Yusuke:
Physical attacker with Bufu and some support skills. A faster, less powerful version of Ryuji, but with better magic and more versatility.
Makoto:
Magical caster with a few physical skills, healing and support skills. Seems to be a top class character, given her access to group wide healing (RIP Anne), Rakukaja, and general versatility.
Haru:
A magical caster with...Gun skills?! I can't accurately predict how good she is without knowing how good gun skills are, but she might be amazing. She has PSI skills and a handful of support skills, including Amrita (though she gets it very late into the game
Goro:
Physical, Megido, Hama and Mudo skills. Literally Naoto.

Dantis

The difficulty is very close DDS, in my opinion. In fact, everything about the dungeons is reminiscent about DDS.

I also love the change to fighting demons. Feels like an SMT game now. The fear that I experienced when faced with three Thoths was very real.

Also Haru is kind of garbage, which is a shame.

Lunar15

I've heard varying accounts on the difficulty. That said, no one's said it's a total cakewalk unless you're way over-leveled.

On DDS comparisons: DDS was Hashino's first directing role, right? I wonder if the DDS series had a bigger budget than Persona at the time, and as a result Hashino was never really able to do the things he wanted with the Persona series that he did with DDS. Now that Persona is top dog, he's been able to veer closer to what he wants.

I dunno, total speculation on my part.

Sophia

No you're kind of garbage! >_>

Gameplay spoilers:
How bad is she gameplay wise? Ken/Koromaru levels of "Well I'll use them if they're my favorite but there are better choices" bad or Naoto "Completely a waste of time to ever use her" vanilla P4 bad?

I wonder how the localisation will handle the character name screen.

name.jpg

His name will be Aki Kur instead of
Akira Kurusu

Well, this isn't a 3DS game so maybe we'll get 8 characters each like p3 and p4. I'm pretty sure the box for those games in Japanese is 3 each too.

Yes I'm still mad about PQ.

Sophia

That limit is standard in the Japanese versions. P3, P4, Soul Hackers, etc. Almost all the games with the Kanji lookup system that Atlus uses has the same three character limit.

It will probably be extended to eight characters as well, just like P3 and P4 before it.

Supposedly it's much closer to an SMT game than a Persona game. Keep in mind, SMT games generally aren't that hard once you reach a certain point in the difficulty curve (or you decide to outright break the game, lol), but I have it on good faith that the game is well balanced on your first run, especially on higher difficulties.

The P5 characters function fairly similarly to the P4 characters, but similar to PQ, characters have signature skills.

Joker:
What do you think?
Ryuji:
Physical attacker with Zio and some support skills. Gets single target and multi target physical moves including gems like Matarukaja and Power Charge. Total beast!
Anne:
Magical caster with Agi, Tarunda, single target healing, support and status skills. Supposedly underwhelming due to her pathetically low HP and general lack of versatility.
Morgana:
Magical caster with healing, physical and support skills. Basically a wind version of Teddie and supposedly essential during boss fights.
Yusuke:
Physical attacker with Bufu and some support skills. A faster, less powerful version of Ryuji, but with better magic and more versatility.
Makoto:
Magical caster with a few physical skills, healing and support skills. Seems to be a top class character, given her access to group wide healing (RIP Anne), Rakukaja, and general versatility.
Haru:
A magical caster with...Gun skills?! I can't accurately predict how good she is without knowing how good gun skills are, but she might be amazing. She has PSI skills and a handful of support skills, including Amrita (though she gets it very late into the game
Goro:

I'll make Joker, Panther, Fox, Noir work.

Lunar15

Nocturne was Hashino's first directing role, but otherwise, yeah, maybe.

EDIT: I forgot about Maken X.

What's weird is that I should have known this becuase I knew Hashino directed Nocturne and I knew that game came out first.

EDIT: Ah, I see the reason for my confusion: The wiki lists it as one of his first directing roles because they actually began production on DDS before they made Nocturne.

Either way, both Nocturne and DDS were bigger productions than Persona 3 was. It's always seemed to me that P3/4 were relatively small affairs and a lot of their design comes out of the restraint of a smaller budget along with time. Time and Budget has given Persona what the other atlus series have already had in the past, such as open dungeon design and the actual demon designs in battle.

Dantis

No you're kind of garbage! >_>

Gameplay spoilers:
How bad is she gameplay wise? Ken/Koromaru levels of "Well I'll use them if they're my favorite but there are better choices" bad or Naoto "Completely a waste of time to ever use her" vanilla P4 bad?
Naoto vanilla.

And just to be clear, I'm entirely talking about gameplay. The actual character seems really good. You'll love her.

Lynx_7

name.jpg

His name will be Aki Kur instead of
Akira Kurusu

Atlus Japan was even kind enough to make that huge red line going out of the form to make it easier for the localization team to expand it to 8 characters. See guys, they do think about us!

cheez124

Joker:
What do you think?
Ryuji:
Anne:
Morgana:
Yusuke:
Makoto:
Haru:
Goro:
sweet, glad to hear makoto's good.

...well, i was gonna use her anyways, but this is icing on the cake

Mediking

Might be time for me to go.... didn't wanna see the screen where we see Joker inputting his name...... the guy looks beat up as hell. I'm prolly too spoiler sensitive so I'll come back later.

Sophia

Yeah, Atlus did officially release the first 18 minutes of the game. Still probably a good idea to link images like that instead of embedding them, but nothing that says you can't.

Yeah, Atlus did officially release the first 18 minutes of the game. Still probably a good idea to link images like that instead of embedding them, but nothing that says you can't.
I didnt watch the first 18 minutes thing and I still know why hes beat up just from the actual trailers.

still its not a bad sentiment to link images

PK Gaming

My P5 import just got here and I have zeeeeero motivation to even take the plastic off. Still unsure if I should keep it or not. :V

You're probably still feeling disappointed over the things we recently found out, but I can I assure you that the game itself is very, very good. If went through the trouble of buying it, I think you should play it.

Mediking

I didnt watch the first 18 minutes thing and I still know why hes beat up just from the actual trailers.

still its not a bad sentiment to link images

When I first saw that screen, the first thing that hit me was, "Why does Joker look so beat up? Who is hurting him?" Then I realized it was that special moment where we input our own name and I started to grow angry. I almost tore into Edea but I stopped myself. Am I really gonna get upset over this? I took a deep breath, remembered that I was the spoiler sensitive guy, and that I don't wanna make a huge fight over nothing. I don't wanna be that "oh, Mediking is sooooo spoiler sensitive! I can't say literally nothing around that guy!" I'll just walk away for now.

When I first saw that screen, the first thing that hit me was, "Why does Joker look so beat up? Who is hurting him?" Then I realized it was that special moment where we input our own name and I started to grow angry. I almost tore into Edea but I stopped myself. Am I really gonna get upset over this? I took a deep breath, remembered that I was the spoiler sensitive guy, and that I don't wanna make a huge fight over nothing. I don't wanna be that "oh, Mediking is sooooo spoiler sensitive! I can't say literally nothing around that guy!" I'll just walk away for now.
I'm just trying to help center what you are considering spoilers. This is something known from trailers. Trailers should not be considered spoilers. If trailers come across as spoilers to you I would urge you to try and reevaluate

Setsu00

My P5 import just got here and I have zeeeeero motivation to even take the plastic off. Still unsure if I should keep it or not. :V

You're probably still feeling disappointed over the things we recently found out, but I can I assure you that the game itself is very, very good. If went through the trouble of buying it, I think you should play it.

I want to add that if this really is about the discussion we've had a few pages ago, then you should maybe know that [Minor P5 spoilers related to that discussion]
there is more LGBT representation than what we previously knew in the game.

Mediking

I'm just trying to help center what you are considering spoilers. This is something known from trailers. Trailers should not be considered spoilers. If trailers come across as spoilers to you I would urge you to try and reevaluate

I haven't watched a Persona 5 trailer in a long time. And I mean... a long time. I'm talking months and months back. And like I said, I'm spoiler sensitive. I consider the put your name moment to be incredibly special.

It's kiiiiinda that, but my hype's just kinda been fluctuating in general and I'm also not sure how much I feel up to playing a whole RPG in Japanese when my grip on the language isn't amazing. It was testing enough making it through Tales of Vesperia, and that was with a full translation guide. Also P5 was basically an impulse pre-order I didn't wanna risk my AmiAmi account cancelling lmao

I want to add that if this really is about the discussion we've had a few pages ago, then you should maybe know that [Minor P5 spoilers related to that discussion]
there is more LGBT representation than what we previously knew in the game.

This is the one thing I totally don't mind being spoiled for me. What's the T?

Setsu00

This is the one thing I totally don't mind being spoiled for me. What's the T?

[Mild P5 spoilers related to side activities and Co-Ops]
You can work in a gay bar as part of the game's side activities. The bar's owner is an oneesan and the protagonist and especially Morgana keep mentioning how hard working they are. Furthermore, the bar's customers are not defined by their sexuality at all and instead complain about their everyday problems to the protagonist. The gay bar isn't also completely optional: It ties directly into the story of Ichiko Oya, the Devil Co-Op, who is a reporter that used to write articles about social injustice. Hearing about that certainly made me rethink what I recently said about P-Studio, but I still believe that the beach scene is unnecessary. It is also worth mentioning that Ryuji is apparently angry in the scene with the two effeminate guys in Shinjuku because they called him a yankee and not because they hit on him. Yuki's Co-Op is non-romantic, but seemingly filled with subtext. Same with Yusuke (at least nobody mentioned anything about him being a possible romantic partner), but you can vaguely express romantic interest in him during the beach scene to which Ryuji replies "Oh, so it's him?" without reducing it to a joke. The entire thing is apparently very reminiscent of Innocent Sin. Yusuke is also eventually able for movie dates which is otherwise only possible for female party members. While the Co-Op stuff can be interpreted as fujoshi bait, I'm positively surprised by them including a gay bar as a major location.

That being said, someone should write an essay about Persona and its complicated relationship with sexuality and gender roles, preferably from a Western and a Japanese perspective.

Lynx_7

You can work in a gay bar as part of the game's side activities. The bar's owner is an oneesan and the protagonist and especially Morgana keep mentioning how hard working they are. Furthermore, the bar's customers are not defined by their sexuality at all and instead complain about their everyday problems to the protagonist. The gay bar isn't also completely optional: It ties directly into the story of Ichiko Oya, the Devil Co-Op, who is a reporter that used to write articles about social injustice. Hearing about that certainly made me rethink what I recently said about P-Studio, but I still believe that the beach scene is unnecessary. It is also worth mentioning that Ryuji is apparently angry in the scene with the two effeminate guys in Shinjuku because they called him a yankee and not because they hit on him. Yuki's Co-Op is non-romantic, but seemingly filled with subtext. Same with Yusuke (at least nobody mentioned anything about him being a possible romantic partner), but you can vaguely express romantic interest in him during the beach scene to which Ryuji replies "Oh, so it's him?" without reducing it to a joke. The entire thing is apparently very reminiscent of Innocent Sin. Yusuke is also eventually able for movie dates which is otherwise only possible for female party members. While the Co-Op stuff can be interpreted as fujoshi bait, I'm positively surprised by them including a gay bar as a major location.

That being said, someone should write an essay about Persona and its complicated relationship with sexuality and gender roles, preferably from a Western and a Japanese perspective.

Hey, maybe Polygon will praise the game after all :p

Do we have a number on how many dem...uh, personas there are in the game? I need to know how much time I'll spend obsessing over which personas I'm gonna fuse.
Apocalypse has too much, man. My OCD kicks in at each new area I arrive and suddenly my party is full. I can't hold all these demons!

Setsu00

Hey, maybe Polygon will praise the game after all :p

Do we have a number on how many dem...uh, personas there are in the game? I need to know how much time I'll spend obsessing over which personas I'm gonna fuse.
Apocalypse has too much, man. My OCD kicks in at each new area I arrive and suddenly my party is full. I can't hold all these demons!

Nah, they're probably going to latch onto that scene just like we did.

I hope SMT5 scales the demon count a bit down.

_Ryo_

I just want to know if you can reverse or break Slinks like you can in P3 but no one seems to know the answer. Also wanna know if reversing or bresking them removes the coop abilities.

Hmm, I see. It's a very small step, but managing to at least acknowledge the culture without making a mockery of it is a step forward nonetheless. Hell, if we compare it to the almost blatantly homophobic Persona Q it's a big step forward! This gives me renewed hope that we might see this more fleshed out by Persona 12. They deserve some credit here after all.

Absolutely no credit for the fujobait, though. Negative credit, if anything. It's such an easy cop-out and I'm sick of seeing it.

Nachos

Waaitasecond. Catherine was a union-based act? Why the hell did they scrub out the opening credits and not simply put the English actor names there then? lol
No clue.

Don't her Sai skills get damage bonuses from hitting enemies that have status ailments? Are those any good against bosses?

Also, seeing if I can't touch up Sackboy's scan.

Gonna have to look up methods on removing moire, but worst case scenario, the grays will just look like manga screentones. The 20th anniversary logo also had too many fine details to look good, so I had to ditch it.

Setsu00

No clue.

Don't her Sai skills get damage bonuses from hitting enemies that have status ailments? Are those any good against bosses?

Also, seeing if I can't touch up Sackboy's scan.

Gonna have to look up methods on removing moire, but worst case scenario, the grays will just look like manga screentones. The 20th anniversary logo also had too many fine details to look good, so I had to ditch it.

Nice!

I just realized that it looks like Ryuji stepped on Morgana's tail.

OrionX

O_O All dem black bars scared the crap out of me for a second there lol. Sounds a little better than what I heard before, at least.

I assume there are still romance-themed days like Valentine's day? I liked what they did in P4G where you could
hang with the bros if you weren't dating anyone.

PK Gaming

judge-surprised.gif

judge-thinking.gif

Context is everything I suppose. It's not perfect, but the game seems to handle LGBT themes in a more thoughtful way than I initially assumed. Definitely not perfect, and the beach scene still seems a bit sketchy, but it's progress.

DNAbro

O_O All dem black bars scared the crap out of me for a second there lol. Sounds a little better than what I heard before, at least.

I assume there are still romance-themed days like Valentine's day? I liked what they did in P4G where you could
hang with the bros if you weren't dating anyone.

This is might reveal how long the game lasts so if you are sensitive to that don't click.
There is a Christmas and Valentines date. Saw a screenshot where MC was hanging with Ryuji on v-day. This doesn't fully reveal how long the game is fyi.

Strimei

The "enter your name" screen reminds me of something I always like to find out.

What do you guys plan to put in as your MC's name?

Do you have a usual nom de guerre (I'd say plume but this involving thieves and all, guerre seems more fitting)? A nickname? Try to stick with canon (when you can)?

Or are you like me and totally use your own name, even though it is blatantly unfitting in most games that let you name your character?

Zolo

I usually use my own name in anything that's blatantly self-insert anyway. No point hiding it. I usually come up with names when I'm role-playing certain characters, but that's more common in WRPGs.

cheez124

The "enter your name" screen reminds me of something I always like to find out.

What do you guys plan to put in as your MC's name?

Do you have a usual nom de guerre (I'd say plume but this involving thieves and all, guerre seems more fitting)? A nickname? Try to stick with canon (when you can)?

Or are you like me and totally use your own name, even though it is blatantly unfitting in most games that let you name your character?
i'm gonna be boring and use the canon (for now) name. i used my real name for P4G, but since then i've decided to stick with canon names

besides, it would be weird in-universe to use my name for every game. just a bunch of guys with persona powers running around who all happen to have the same name, lol

Hmm, I see. It's a very small step, but managing to at least acknowledge the culture without making a mockery of it is a step forward nonetheless. Hell, if we compare it to the almost blatantly homophobic Persona Q it's a big step forward! This gives me renewed hope that we might see this more fleshed out by Persona 12. They deserve some credit here after all.

Absolutely no credit for the fujobait, though. Negative credit, if anything. It's such an easy cop-out and I'm sick of seeing it.
Persona Q? I was going to get it but I played dungeon crawlers and didn't feel like playing Fanfiction: The Game EO ver. What's in it?

Top Bottom