• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Nimby

Banned
Nice to know LGBT rep wasn't as dire as we thought. That discussion earlier had me bummed out. AtlusUSA can adjust the localization if needed right? So this "problematic scene" could be different for NA/EU release. Hopefully. What is actually problematic about that scene, don't really know what it's about but would like as little spoilers as possible.

Jintor

I ended up calling my guy Akai Hikaru, but I didn't realise that games have an inbuilt kanji thingy, so his name is just in hiirigana and it really bugs me

I personally don't care for the canon names, so I always use one of my own. I dunno what his surname is gonna be, but I've got Shinnosuke for Joker's first name.

What happened with Persona Q then?

P4 guy ended up taking Buffy. None of my alternates fit for P3 guy so I improvised and went with Minty (Minato) Dead (he's dead).

Persona Q? I was going to get it but I played dungeon crawlers and didn't feel like playing Fanfiction: The Game EO ver. What's in it?

The game straight up asks you if you think gender matters when it comes to love. Answer no and the other characters will not react favourably. Then there's a fake wedding sequence where you can be paired up with any member of the cast. End up with a girl and you get a silly but really shippy scene. End up with a guy and you just kinda get nothing and everyone will think it's weird and dumb. There's probably something else I'm forgetting but this stands out the most in memory.

PK Gaming

P4 guy ended up taking Buffy. None of my alternates fit for P3 guy so I improvised and went with Minty (Minato) Dead (he's dead).

The game straight up asks you if you think gender matters when it comes to love. Answer no and the other characters will not react favourably. Then there's a fake wedding sequence where you can be paired up with any member of the cast. End up with a girl and you get a silly but really shippy scene. End up with a guy and you just kinda get nothing and everyone will think it's weird and dumb. There's probably something else I'm forgetting but this stands out the most in memory.

Naoto: Marriage between the same sex is highly illegal!! (flustered)

---

In the game's defense, at least Mitsuru is totally awesome about it. So I imagine it's just a matter of the rest of the characters being immature.

The manga makes the P4 protag bisexual which is pretty cool as well.

You can make the P3 protag blush and act all coy around Shinji as well. lol

In the game's defense, at least Mitsuru is totally awesome about it. So imagine it's just a matter of the rest of the characters being immature.

The manga makes the P4 protag bisexual which is pretty cool as well.

You can make the P3 protag blush and act all coy around Shinji as well. lol

True, Mitsuru is perfect. And I did like that they did that with the P4 side of the manga, but the P3 side takes... the opposite route. I mean, obviously, but it's always weird for me to see that in the adaptations since it goes so against how I play these games. But that's just me.

Wow. Well, that's pretty awful.

The "enter your name" screen reminds me of something I always like to find out.

What do you guys plan to put in as your MC's name?

Do you have a usual nom de guerre (I'd say plume but this involving thieves and all, guerre seems more fitting)? A nickname? Try to stick with canon (when you can)?

Or are you like me and totally use your own name, even though it is blatantly unfitting in most games that let you name your character?

Tsubasa Kurusu, because I got attached to the first name I wanted to use before the manga got announced. I'll probably swap to Akira at some point though.

I only really use my actual name (well, OK a nickname) with Pokemon, and only because I've been doing that since I was a kid and it felt super weird when I tried to stop.

Maybe one day I'll figure out how to convert "Star Sketch" out into a full name (I've managed the Star part in MMOs, at least >>;)

Just got spoiled on (prologue spoiler)
who the traitor is
from r/4chan.

Forgot for a moment that anything related to 4chan is an absolutely horrendous idea.

*puts evoker to head*

cheez124

who the traitor is
from r/4chan.

Forgot for a moment that anything related to 4chan is an absolutely horrendous idea.

*puts evoker to head*

ouch, sorry to hear that...i got spoiled on this as well, but on a different forum.

FSLink

Banned
who the traitor is
from r/4chan.

*puts evoker to head*

ouch, sorry to hear that...i got spoiled on this as well, but on a different forum.

Don't even worry about it, the game doesn't even treat what you are both referring to as a major spoiler. Context is everything.

Well P5 dropped off the radar for me but then I heard it came out and got hyped. Ended up spoiling myself on alot of stuff, but I tend to do that when I'm interested in the game.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if some characters are extremely bad compared to others, would they make balance patches of some kind to make them better? I realize that this is a single player game though, where balance usually isn't quite as big a deal compared to PvP games, and while not an ideal situation you can always grind characters up.

Darksol

Well P5 dropped off the radar for me but then I heard it came out and got hyped. Ended up spoiling myself on alot of stuff, but I tend to do that when I'm interested in the game.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if some characters are extremely bad compared to others, would they make balance patches of some kind to make them better? I realize that this is a single player game though, where balance usually isn't quite as big a deal compared to PvP games, and while not an ideal situation you can always grind characters up.

There aren't balance issues and there is no need for any of that.

Mediking

Just started reading Persona 4 - The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena manga and Persona Q - Shadow of the Labyrinth - Side: P3 manga. I had no idea that Atlus had cooked up manga for some of their games.

Mediking

no surprises though besides the art they're gaaaaarbage

kinda want to read the arena manga tho

I think they're pretty entertaining so far. My jaw dropped when I saw Mitsuru in the first few pages of the Arena manga.

And the Persona Q manga for P3..... I know I said this before but I never really saw Minato as "emo". I always saw him as incredibly laidback guy with cool powers surrounded by awesome people. Heck, I still do see him like that.

Sophia

So me and Mystic made an interesting discovery regarding the sharing features on Persona 5 PS4.

When you try to share play between two Japanese accounts, you get this generic blocked scene error:

syuruvzkjis3u.jpg

The whole game is, of course, blocked.

But when you try to share play between a Japanese account with the game, and a US account?

Nothing confirmed, but I suspect they disabled sharing features on the Japanese version of Persona 5 until the western release.

Mediking

So me and Mystic made an interesting discovery regarding the sharing features on Persona 5 PS4.

When you try to share play between two Japanese accounts, you get this generic blocked scene error:

The whole game is, of course, blocked.

But when you try to share play between a Japanese account with the game, and a US account?

Nothing confirmed, but I suspect they disabled sharing features on the Japanese version of Persona 5 until the western release.

The dedication to stall spoilers is real. So I couldn't show Shareplay a Japanese game to a friend just because it wasn't released in the US?

Sophia

Just saw they made costumes for p3,4,5 &what i am assuming is 2 and holy fuck at them prices. 420 just for a gekkoukan jacket. W/o shipping.

I saw the ones for Persona 5. They're fairly authentic uniforms in terms of quality + they're more custom designed than usual uniforms. No surprise they're that high.

Current consensus is that it has the best story in the series along with its sister game, but its gameplay can be quite slow sometimes.

Thank you. What I was actually asking though was whether the PSP version of the game is good compared to the fan translated PS1 version.

asagami_

Banned
Almost done with Persona 1 PSP. How is Innocent Sin on PSP? Intending to play that next.

It's a slightly inferior version from the PS1 version because the gameplay plays better in the original, but actually the main problem with the PSP port, at least for me, is when they replace certain Kaneko work with Soejima art .

Outside that is a fine game.

Sophia

The PSP version has significantly lowered the difficulty, sometimes to the point of absurdity. Also, the new UI is a hit and a miss for a lot of people.

Dantis

It's a slightly inferior version from the PS1 version because the gameplay plays better in the original, but actually the main problem with the PSP port, at least for me, is when they replace certain Kaneko work with Soejima art .

Outside that is a fine game.

What.

Pretty sure Kaneko did no art for Persona 2.

What.

Pretty sure Kaneko did no art for Persona 2.

The megaten wiki lists him as: Main Character Designer, Principal Persona Designer and Boss Demon Designer for both IS and EP.

Was there no art involved in that?

I think Soejima did the actual ingame character portraits, or worked on them to some degree at least.

It's certainly not like SMT4, where he's credited as "World setting planner", or "series demon designer"

The megaten wiki lists him as: Main Character Designer, Principal Persona Designer and Boss Demon Designer for both IS and EP.

Was there no art involved in that?

I think Soejima did the actual ingame character portraits, or worked on them to some degree at least.

Kaneko would still have done the designs/renders/promo art.

Seems like P5 will have the cover of Dengeki PlayStation again, releasing tomorrow, so be excited for more Soejima art.

asagami_

Banned
Actually now I think the PSP Innocent Sin only added more art to the character profile menu, because I can't find any example for this in the original.

But to me this is clearly Soejima art:

p2innocentsin_screenshots_22.jpg

And this is must be from Kaneko:

persona-2_innocent-sin-interface_1.jpg

I don't like this kind of inconsistence :(

For Innocent Sin Portable, Kaneko is only credited for the original character designs, Soejima is credited for new character design, Doi is credited for design finishing, and Uchibe is credited for sub character design.

For the original, Kaneko is credited as the art director, Soejima as the character illustrator and Doi as responsible for character bust colouring.

PK Gaming

Actually now I think the PSP Innocent Sin only added more art to the character profile menu, because I can't find any example for this in the original.

It's from Masayuki Do actually.

Masayuki Do supposedly handles all of the art in Persona 2: EP. It's a shame we never got it though...

Nimby

Banned
Kaneko was responsible for the character designs/promo art of the main cast (at least) for P1 and P2. I don't think he did any in-game artwork for those games.

Setsu00

Kaneko's art looks vastly different and I actually have no idea who the artist of the portraits in the second picture is. It's definitely not Soejima either, so I guess it's Uchibe since they handled the new characters aside from the cinema girl.

That being said, Soejima illustrated the ingame art in Persona 2. He even did the character art from the opening sequence. He was also responsible for every side character's design (also for Chikarin's). I think the only time Kaneko's character art appeared in Persona was in Persona 1.

Top Bottom