• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Setsu00

Hashino talks more about P5's discarded concept:

- The key words were "finding your self" and "journey": The idea was to have the protagonist run away from school.
- He reiterates that the reason why they the switched to the final concept was the Tohoku earthquake from 2011 as he felt that Japan had changed after it
- There was no major shift due to the PS4 as their development methods were still applicable
- They experimented with action combat, but decided against it as they had no previous experience with that

DNAbro

Hashino talks more about P5's discarded concept:

- The key words were "finding your self" and "journey": The idea was to have the protagonist run away from school.
- He reiterates that the reason why they the switched to the final concept was the Tohoku earthquake from 2011 as he felt that Japan had changed after it
- There was no major shift due to the PS4 as their development methods were still applicable
- They experimented with action combat, but decided against it as they had no previous experience with that

I want to see what they can do with the original concept.

Persona action game would get so many hot and bothered especially if it was going to be a mainline one. I'd definitely be open to it. Try it with 6 let's see what you got atlus

Sophia

I'd rather see them take the original concept and apply it to Devil Summoner (Raidou or otherwise)

It's also the ideal franchise for an action game.

Lunar15

I like Persona as one of the few remaining "big" franchises to keep a turn based battle system.

Completely open for a spin-off, though.

OrionX

As someone who rolls his eyes at FF fans who can't handle change, I'm gonna be a total hypocrite and say I wouldn't want Persona's combat to change. :p

Mediking

Persona action game would get so many hot and bothered especially if it was going to be a mainline one. I'd definitely be open to it. Try it with 6 let's see what you got atlus

No. With all due respect because we're good friends... NO. Persona 6 isn't gonna be real time action combat. Maybe for a spinoff but not for 6. We got more bigger issues to worry about like how long can we drag out the school setting for future titles than changing the damn and near perfect turn based combat for those who wanna see real time. We're not gonna get in this werid and highly unnecessary tug of war for combat taste like Final Fantasy and Resident Evil has got in.

Mediking

I doubt they'd go action after 5 seems to be getting a lot of praise for its turn-based system.

I just don't want Persona to get dragged into the highly unnecessary fighting within fanbases for combat taste like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy. Maybe a real time combat thing can work for a spinoff even though I doubt it. But the mainline Persona games got much more bigger things to improve on and tackle than its combat. Like seriously. Some but not all Resident Evil fans and Final Fantasy fans fight over combat for games nearly all the time. Play it safe like Pokemon spinoffs and let those change the combat.

Lynx_7

Thank you all for answering, I think I get it now. It's a shame it has to be like that, but on the other hand he is already too ingrained in my mind as Kanji so I wouldn't want to see him doing another Persona character.

As for the original concepts, I want to see them go for the whole "run from school"/"journey"/"trip around the world" concept. It has potential and could be a big departure from previous titles so I'd be really interested in seeing how they handle it.

Action combat can stay in Raidou though. Now that the franchise is currently expanding its audience the last thing it needs is a genre switch, come on.

As someone who rolls his eyes at FF fans who can't handle change, I'm gonna be a total hypocrite and say I wouldn't want Persona's combat to change. :p
Hey at least you admitted it lol that's a major step above a number of fans I'm sure.

I'm the same any series changing is fine unless it's kingdom hearts in which I riot if that ever got a drastic change(and why I will never touch chain of memories again)

Hey at least you admitted it lol that's a major step above a number of fans I'm sure.

I'm the same any series changing is fine unless it's kingdom hearts in which I riot if that ever got a drastic change(and why I will never touch chain of memories again)
oooh, turn based kingdom hearts would be awesome. thats what I want to see

Ewww

Make it a spin-off not having anything to do with the story and I won't care
I'm glad you can finally understand why FF15 is so frustrating

Kingdom hearts I've found the combat to be completely stale since KH2, and never would I consider it particularly good. I love the worlds and the characters and exploring it. All the crazy shenanigans are entertaining, but I cant take the combat at all anymore. I couldnt even finish KH 3D

I'm still going to play KH3, but definitely not the combat bringing me in

Mediking

Kingdom hearts I've found the combat to be completely stale since KH2, and never would I consider it particularly good. I love the worlds and the characters and exploring it. All the crazy shenanigans are entertaining, but I cant take the combat at all anymore. I couldnt even finish KH 3D

Kingdom Hearts combat is one of those things where you have the tools to make it fun and exciting or... you can just smash the attack button. It doesn't really FORCE you to make you use the fun tools which is a good and bad thing.

tumblr_mbegu8kERE1r2wozzo6_r1_250.gif

Those are fighting words

Mediking

tumblr_mbegu8kERE1r2wozzo6_r1_250.gif

Those are fighting words

Kingdom Hearts combat gets really interesting and fun when you start to dig in the metagame of accessories and different Keyblade differences and what spells can TRULY do.... But like I said... it's not forced on you which makes alotta people just spam attack and use just one spell so they think the combat is trash.

I actually feel like Raidou 1 is one of the better examples of translating a turn based combat system into real time. Playing it still felt like I was playing a Megaten game that just happened to be in real time, for want of a better way to word that. You're still dependent on exploiting weaknesses and building a party of demons, and the combat overall still feels megaten, although it still has a few shortcomings and balance issues.

Although I don't think any of the Persona team were involved with the Raidou games, aside from Meguro.

its not like dont know how to handle the combat...its just still not very good

I don't find many action RPGs to have good combat. My combat comparisons for these games is always connecting them to games like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, and even god of war and bloodborne. These games get action combat so much better, and it helps they dont have the baggage of AI allies dragging them down

At least tales of berseria seems to have made some positive steps after how bad zestiria was and lackluster xillia 1 and 2 were

Mediking

I actually feel like Raidou 1 is one of the better examples of translating a turn based combat system into real time. Playing it still felt like I was playing a Megaten game that just happened to be in real time, for want of a better way to word that. You're still dependent on exploiting weaknesses and building a party of demons, and the combat overall still feels megaten, although it still has a few shortcomings and balance issues.

Although I don't think any of the Persona team were involved with the Raidou games, aside from Meguro.

I REALLY hope the Raidou games hit PS4 PSN sometime. Maybe some will around the time Persona 5 releases.

Sophia

I didn't care much for Kingdom Hearts 1's combat.

But, I found that when Birth By Sleep was played on it's highest two difficulty levels (Proud/Critical) it was actually pretty damn good for an action RPG.

I didn't care much for Kingdom Hearts 1's combat.

But, I found that when Birth By Sleep was played on it's highest two difficulty levels (Proud/Critical) it was actually pretty damn good for an action RPG.
I felt like birth by sleep made a lot of positive steps, which just disappeared for whatever the fuck happened with KH3D

Mediking

its not like dont know how to handle the combat...its just still not very good

I don't find many action RPGs to have good combat. My combat comparisons for these games is always connecting them to games like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, and even god of war and bloodborne. These games get action combat so much better, and it helps they dont have the baggage of AI allies dragging them down

At least tales of berseria seems to have made some positive steps after how bad zestiria was and lackluster xillia 1 and 2 were

Comparing the majesty and amazing combat of Bayonetta 1 and 2 to other action games isn't exactly... fair. It's like people who compare Witcher 3 to Final Fantasy XV or something. It's not exactly... fair. Lol some things are a once in a lifetime gold mine.

Comparing the majesty and amazing combat of Bayonetta 1 and 2 to other action games isn't exactly... fair. It's like people who compare Witcher 3 to Final Fantasy XV or something. It's not exactly... fair. Lol some things are a once in a lifetime gold mine.
when you wanna be an action game, I'mma hold you up to other action games.

There are different styles, Like with the witcher I'll hold its combat against bloodborne since they are both slower and more keen on counter attacking, and witcher 3 does not compare favorably. Still love the game

kiyoaki

Raidou 1 (PS2) was kind of painful because of the encounter rate and the low production values... but I really liked Raidou 2. I'd love a sequel on PS4.

Generally, I hope Atlus will recycle the shit out of P5 assets and make tons of spin-offs and return to their PS2 glory days. It makes sense from a business perspective, and I don't think the fans will mind too much.

Raidou 1 (PS2) was kind of painful because of the encounter rate and the low production values... but I really liked Raidou 2. I'd love a sequel on PS4.

Generally, I hope Atlus will recycle the shit out of P5 assets and make tons of spin-offs and return to their PS2 glory days. It makes sense from a business perspective, and I don't think the fans will mind too much.
shit, final fantasy xv has been milked more than persona 4 and its not even out yet. I think theyd be fine milking their assets here

Dantis

Haru seems really charming. She's probably the closest thing to a P4 character in her demeanor. Very smiley and friendly.

Mediking

Haru seems really charming. She's probably the closest thing to a P4 character in her demeanor. Very smiley and friendly.

My jealousy keeps growing.... you get to meet everybody... then you get to meet everybody under the English curtain.

Jornax

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does someone have a version of this image without the "page rip" at the bottom right? I'm afraid of googling anything Persona related until February because of spoilers floating around.

LlTeeeC.jpg

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does someone have a version of this image without the "page rip" at the bottom right? I'm afraid of googling anything Persona related until February because of spoilers floating around.

I did a reverse image search and...nada! Sorry :(

DNAbro

LlTeeeC.jpg

It's the same art used for the LE edition but I don't think it's been made available in full resolution.

Top Bottom