• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Dantis

Persona (outside of EP) has never really had a particularly great main narrative so the first one isn't too difficult to believe.

As for the rest... Perhaps. He's not really the type to let hype affect his emotions though.

It's worth pointing out that, at least by August, the overarching narrative has very much been in the background.

Makio

You'll get more Karen Strassman and you'll like it, dammit.

Like i say before unless they got 7-8 actors in the same profile as Morgana dub VA (newcomers to Persona dubs or people who worked with Atlus but never voice a main character in Persona 3/4 like C.Lee Morris) even people like Labrys VA , Sho VA , Kanamin VA etc etc can fit since they dont voice a "party member" yet if they can use a diferent "voice" than their previous role thats all i ask for the main cast

After that i dont care if the game is filled with P3 and P4 voices actually names like Strassman ,Lowenthal , Fitzgerald ,Mercer ,Bosch , Arem , Wendee Lee and other Atlus (PCB) "favorites" are a given is gonna be in the game as NPC , Bosses , Co-Op and such

And yeah hoping we are days away of hearing Atlus USA with a new trailer hopefully with some dub to end the mystery lol

PD : I love the Max Mittelman choice , he is in my short list for Ryuji or Yusuke but since he getting more main char roles and he sound generic enough (Yuri Lowenthal second coming) i dont mind him as Joker either good call

Makio

Do you guys think Troy Baker is gonna voice act for P5? I can see him doing it but I don't want him for Joker.

Almost sure Troy Baker or Laura Bailey are not coming back to a Persona game (or anime jrpg) for a while
like never
since they are "big leagues" VA now (good for them i love both )

Plus Baker got enough Main Character roles already like literally he voice the main guy in a lot of games ...

Mediking

Oh I think troy does a great Joker

No patch on old marky though

I think we've established the guy is too busy for jrpgs.

Almost sure Troy Baker or Laura Bailey are not coming back to a Persona game (or anime jrpg) for a while
like never

Plus Baker got enough Main Character roles already like literally he voice the main guy in a lot of games ...

No Laura Bailey..... :(

And Troy? I'm trying to think the last time I think he did a really good performance.... Gonna get called biased but I think his Vincent performance from Catherine is still better than his Delsin Rowe, Ocelot and now Batman performances. His Dying Light performance needed help. !!!!!!!!!! OH WAIT! Troy was good at Uncharted 4. OH! Atlus USA should hire the guy who played as Young Sam in Uncharted 4. He did a super good job.

barybll

Banned
[PS4] Persona 5 {2016.09.15} — 264,793 / NEW
[PS3] Persona 5 {2016.09.15} — 72,974 / NEW

Total: 337,767 copies

Even with a 80% drop it should cross 400k and beat p1

Considering how the franchise was on the verge of death in Eternal Punishment and had to reboot in p3 with 200k sales, im pretty satisfied with it

Is it true that P5 localization will use the name Ann instead of Anne?

That would be kind of stupid.

I don't really think that's spoilers so I just post the picture of the credits:

Anne.png

Lynx_7

That would be so stupid if they would do that.

Well they forgot some japanese in SMT IV: Apocalypse so why not? :p

And speaking of Apocalypse, I'm a little less impatient for P5 now that I'm playing it. I was having a good time with DQ VII and all but only a SMT game can distract me from one of its offsprings. Besides, the gameplay has been fucking great right out of the gate and I really like how the story picks up from IV's climax so it already starts much better pacing-wise.
I really hope it doesn't shit the balance later on like SMT IV did because so far the challenge has been just right.

OrionX

It's pretty much the same as that Cindy/Cidney mess, which I find much more annoying. At least it still sounds the same, even though it does seem like an unnecessary decision.

They're probably going to cut the VAs from the credits like usual.

Even if they cut that out, I think the dropped e will be a problem with other projects down the road. Kinda like the example CrimsonFist posted, where the opening of Arena had "Aegis" and "Kuma" instead of their localized names. It's certainly not a big deal, but it just seems so... unnecessary. Why make a change, for seemingly no good reason, that will only cause problems later?

Lunar15

Anne's just a more modern name. You don't see Ann a lot. It looks more like a name from the 60's.

Hard to explain why one is better than the other.

Anne's just a more modern name. You don't see Ann a lot. It looks more like a name from the 60's.

my sister's middle name is ann. You tend to rarely see either as a first name. Anna is far more common. I'm not bothering to verify that

Zolo

That's actually a good explanation. It's not that Ann isn't a name. Anne just comes off looking better. That said, yeah, it's not a big deal at all. It's just kinda weird when most people seem to prefer Anne, and that's the romanization the Japanese version went with as well.

If I had to take a guess at to why it's "Ann" rather than "Anne," earlier Atlus Japan marketing assets had it as Ann, so Atlus USA might have decided to go with that before Japan switched to using Anne.

If I had to take a guess at to why it's "Ann" rather than "Anne," earlier Atlus Japan marketing assets had it as Ann, so Atlus USA might have decided to go with that before Japan switched to using Anne.

If that's the case, then nothing's keeping them from changing it back like the jp devs.

Strimei

like never

While Troy definitely is big league and all, I think Laura would definitely return. When I got her autograph at Otakon in 2015 I asked her about not reprising Rise and she definitely seemed a bit down about not being able to do it. Gears of War just caused too much of a schedule conflict.

She's always struck me as one of those "voice monkeys" who'll do pretty much anything, time permitting. Steve Blum is another example, he's in damn near everything, in truth.

Zolo

Pretty sure Baker literally can't come back due to being with the union now unless Atlus gets a bigger budget to work with. Laura could come back, but as mentioned, she's very busy with roles that pay more these days.

Lunar15

As has been said many times, Troy and Laura were absolutely defining for P4, but that's all the more reason to not use them in this game.

Nachos

I wouldn't say RD is go to for protagonist roles yet- of the 7 or so things I have mentally tagged for him, only one is a protagonist role. Everything else is a major or minor character. That said I totally expect him on this game someplace, and wouldn't be suprised if he did end up as Protag.
He's landing a decent amount of protagonist roles in RPGs. Maybe that's where my perception's coming from.

Did they cut the JP voices out of the P3 and P4 credits? I don't really pay attention to the names so I don't remember for sure.
They're there every single time. I figure it's a legal thing.

Pretty sure Baker literally can't come back due to being with the union now unless Atlus gets a bigger budget to work with. Laura could come back, but as mentioned, she's very busy with roles that pay more these days.
No one knows if Baker's full union or not for certain, but if he is, then yeah, he's not touching any nonunion game with a ten-foot pole. He's built up too big a name for himself and is too recognizable that anything he would try would reach the union's door real quick.

Right. It could be worse. P5 could have been delayed for years and Anne's character could have been eliminated by a new director in favor of a new character named "Nancy Takamaki" or something.
Sounds like Nancy Drew in her weeaboo phase.

Strimei

As has been said many times, Troy and Laura were absolutely defining for P4, but that's all the more reason to not use them in this game.

I think Laura could return but not in a main role, at least. She's got a good amount of range to work in secondary roles.

Like, I'm thinking her more "adult" voice (Jaina Proudmoore, Kainé from Nier) could work well for Sae Niijima.

(Looking up how to spell Sae's last name reminded me I gotta be real careful googling stuff now...also how many damn i's are there in that name, sheesh)

Wonder what Atlus USA has against the letter "e"

I saw a video about that, but I don't know where to look for it again. I think the reason was that the Greek word she's named after is pronounced "Aigis" , but is usually spelled "Aegis" and the Japanese version pronounced it as it's spelled.

Double post, but it's been 2 hours, and I'm only now noticing this post.

He's landing a decent amount of protagonist roles in RPGs. Maybe that's where my perception's coming from.

Hmm, most of my recognition for him is anime, so I'm probably just missing something. Or our definition of "Protagonist" is different.

Meanwhile, I realized he actually might make an OK Goro.

They're there every single time. I figure it's a legal thing.

Huh? I don't recall the names showing up in either P3P or P4G...

-checks youtube-

...Yeah, the Japanese cast isn't in the (US) credits for P4G or P3. I know they are on the Arena games, but those are also dual audio.

Lynx_7

I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff at all so could anyone explain this whole union thing to me and why it would prevent Troy Baker from working with Atlus?
Is it like a bunch of hooded men who only respond to Sephiroth?

Zolo

I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff at all so could anyone explain this whole union thing to me and why it would prevent Troy Baker from working with Atlus?

I'm not really familiar with how it works, but it seems like since Atlus can't afford the pay that the VA union requires that if Troy did work there, he would be heavily fined. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Best place to buy persona game soundtracks?

I'm looking for P1 and P4.

I know you can listen to them on P4G ( if I remember correctly)

Hit up CDJapan, most of them are probably in stock there. If you wanna go cheaper and second hand, they also tend to pop up on Mandarake every now and then.

Sophia

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, as I am not an expert by any means.

The basic jist is that one of the biggest acting unions has a rule where you have to work under a union contract. This rule is the source of controversy, because on one hand it's aimed to ensure that the actors represented under a union are fairly paid and represented, but on the other hand it can limit work because some places are not union members and do not pay their fees for whatever reason. Atlus, for example, apparently does non-union work.

Buuut under US law, you can claim financial core status, and work on non-union jobs, but only after you've paid your dues to the union and such.

As Troy Baker has done bigger name works, he probably hasn't been able to claim final core status, and thus hasn't been able to reprise roles in Atlus games.

In the 90s, working under a pseudonym was a common way to get around this issue. That's why you'll see some actors credited under different names and stuff on a lot of anime.

Nachos

Hmm, most of my recognition for him is anime, so I'm probably just missing something. Or our definition of "Protagonist" is different.
I mean, he's only been pursuing games and anime these past two years. And in that time, he's been the protagonists/protagonist voices for Lord of Magna, Xenoblade X, and Tales of Zesteria. Plus, he's leading characters in FF XV, Sailor Moon, and Digimon Tri.

I get that I'm being a bit loose with my definition of "protagonist." Still, that's more than most people can claim, even after working those genres a lot longer.

...Yeah, the Japanese cast isn't in the (US) credits for P4G or P3. I know they are on the Arena games, but those are also dual audio.
I just realized that all the credits I've been looking at have been for the Asian releases of the games... Doesn't help that the credits are in English, so it's hard to tell what release they're for at a glance. Probably completely wrong on the others, then, too.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, as I am not an expert by any means.

The basic jist is that one of the biggest acting unions has a rule where you have to work under a union contract. This rule is the source of controversy, because on one hand it's aimed to ensure that the actors represented under a union are fairly paid and represented, but on the other hand it can limit work because some places are not union members and do not pay their fees for whatever reason. Atlus, for example, apparently does non-union work.

Buuut under US law, you can claim financial core status, and work on non-union jobs, but only after you've paid your dues to the union and such.

As Troy Baker has done bigger name works, he probably hasn't been able to claim final core status, and thus hasn't been able to reprise roles in Atlus games.

In the 90s, working under a pseudonym was a common way to get around this issue. That's why you'll see some actors credited under different names and stuff on a lot of anime.
More or less. Most of Atlus' big actors are ficore, so yeah, they're theoretically able to work any job. It's just a big hassle on the production side to get a ficore actor signed onto a union project. Some clients might not want to fill the extra paperwork. It's less of an issue if you're well-known, but the scab stigma still lingers in places.

The VO industry is generally more understanding – landing work's already hard without a handicap. Still, one of my VO coaches has told me some real stories, both as an actor and casting director. Cases of clients loving someone's audition, but going completely gun-shy the moment "ficore" pops up.

Most of Atlus' games are nonunion, except Catherine. It's the reason why it's their only game to list any English actors in the credits. Some places like XSeed try to give cast lists online (it helps that Hatsuu's a major VO geek), but you generally won't see any English actors listed in nonunion localization credits.

As for Baker, it wouldn't surprise me if he moved from ficore to full union. Ficore members forfeit all benefits and security. And those become important once you get older and suddenly have to worry about your health or a family. There's nothing stopping someone from going ficore. You just need to commit either to that or going full union once you've been in three union gigs. The union will block you from working any more until you pick.

Sophia

Most of Atlus' games are nonunion, except Catherine. It's the reason why it's their only game to list any English actors in the credits. Some places like XSeed try to give cast lists online (it helps that Hatsuu's a major VO geek), but you generally won't see any English actors listed in nonunion localization credits.

As for Baker, it wouldn't surprise me if he moved from ficore to full union. Ficore members forfeit all benefits and security. And those become important once you get older and suddenly have to worry about your health or a family. There's nothing stopping someone from going ficore. You just need to commit either to that or going full union once you've been in three union gigs. The union will block you from working any more until you pick.

Waaitasecond. Catherine was a union-based act? Why the hell did they scrub out the opening credits and not simply put the English actor names there then? lol

A big factor with Troy Baker too is that he's highly desired as a motion capture actor too. Joel in The Last of Us? Delsin in Infamous? He does their motion work, and that's why stuff like the facial expressions and such are so great. So he probably has little reason to drop down to ficore when you're that in demand. Why toss away the benefits? Pensions, Healthcare, they bargain for you, get you special deals, resources, get you the tools you need, legal services, etc. That's a lot to give up, just for smaller anime games. :p

Top Bottom