• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Makio

My non-spoiler thoughts on Persona 5:

B) The final boss theme is surprisingly weak. It's not bad, but it pales in comparison to The Battle for Everyone's Souls and fog. It's a pretty straightforward track, and it really lacks power or finality.

I had to agree in this , since we talking of Shoji Meguro here the guy who throw "Rivers in the Desert" in this OST which to me is easily one of the best tracks in the series both instrumental and vocal , you can expect the final theme been something more epic / powerful

Like you say tracks like Battle Hymn of The Soul , Mist , Brahman (DDS) hell even the Final Batlle of Nocturne shows you how weak the final theme of P5 is , feels like a lost Persona 1 psp track since it loops after 45-50 seconds and one part is basically
P4 Genesis
all over again
And sounds likea regular Devil Survivor battle theme to me
Maybe when i played it , it will grow in me but now is maybe one of the weakest battle theme Meguro gives us so far.

Great review btw , game sounds great specially the bits about feels like DDS battle wise , since i love those games too much

81SLnGhyWEL.jpg
81BLIQYOcYL.jpg

Clean version of the Dengeki cover art.

Nachos

Dantis, how are the contextual button prompts (basically all of the circle button actions on the field)? I'm always worried about games trying to do too much with a single button, since there's more chances to do the wrong thing, and all of the jumping in the prologue seemed really grating.

I remember you saying the stealth isn't that great: were there any cases where the game was confused on what you wanted to do, or were there any cases where you wish things had a dedicated button?

Clean version of the Dengeki cover art.
Ryuji has some really thin legs.

Mediking

More Persona 1 impressions:

This is a very ambitious game. Very ambitious.

The controls are kinda frustrating at times. Trying to push the P1 MC to go where you want on Vita easily is maddening because pushing left doesn't mean he is going left. I'm getting used to the grid controls though.

I wanted to explore so it took me forever to get to the hospital. I love the attention to detail. As I learned more gossip, realized that attractive nurses are a Atlus thing from long ago, and more stuff... my friends would offer commentary but would also say, "Hey, dude. Don't forget the hospital..."

I really like the setup of the overworld.

I actually like how you already have friends and you're just learning more about them. Yukino is my favorite so far.

I laughed when I saw my nickname appear for a level up.

Finally visited Maki.... started fighting....
RIP old Butler guy. He just wanted to see his employer with friends. :(

Dantis

Gotta say that after P5, I'd be so up for an Arena 2, especially if it used the Guilty Gear engine.
P5's characters would fit a fighter perfectly.

daevious

Gotta say that after P5, I'd be so up for an Arena 2, especially if it used the Guilty Gear engine.
P5's characters would fit a fighter perfectly.

My first thought when I saw the P5 trailer was that the MC's outfits looks like it was designed with his future inclusion to Arena in mind.

Dantis

After sleeping on it for a day, I've come round to the final boss theme a bit more. Just listening to the OST now, and all the boss themes are super reminiscent of Meguro's DDS and Nocturne stuff. The sub boss theme could be pulled straight from DDS1.

Mediking

The most canon name he has is "Boy with Earring", but he was called Naoya Toudou in the manga adaptation.

Naoya...? Ehhh.... doesn't really fit him.

After sleeping on it for a day, I've come round to the final boss theme a bit more. Just listening to the OST now, and all the boss themes are super reminiscent of Meguro's DDS and Nocturne stuff. The sub boss theme could be pulled straight from DDS1.

Well now you can actually focus on your other most anticipated now that you finished P5. You're truly free. You have emancipation. I can't even discuss the game with you on a deep level until I after I beat it myself.

Setsu00

The samples for the P5 remix CD included with Futaba's headphones are amazing. The Meguro remix of one of the boss themes is so, so good.

Lynx_7

Disappointing to hear about the final boss music, out of the entire OST that is not the track you should be half-assing. Then again I'm not a fan of disco ball fever from Nocturne so there's a precedent for that I guess.

Also, it's funny how everyone who has seen the full story but doesn't understand japanese says it doesn't look like it reaches the same heights as P3 and 4 or aren't too hot on the final segments, but the people who do understand Japanese mostly seem to agree it's pretty good and thematically fitting. I wonder what it is that happens at the last stretch of the game that is so dependent on context.
Though I guess P4's climax wouldn't seem all that impressive either without properly understanding what's going on.

Setsu00

Disappointing to hear about the final boss music, out of the entire OST that is not the track you should be half-assing. Then again I'm not a fan of disco ball fever from Nocturne so there's a precedent for that I guess.

Also, it's funny how everyone who has seen the full story but doesn't understand japanese says it doesn't look like it reaches the same heights as P3 and 4 or aren't too hot on the final segments, but the people who do understand Japanese mostly seem to agree it's pretty good and thematically fitting. I wonder what it is that happens at the last stretch of the game that is so dependent on context.
Though I guess P4's climax wouldn't seem all that impressive either without properly understanding what's going on.

Kagutsuchi's theme from Nocturne is probably my favorite song on the OST.

Lunar15

P3 and P4's actual plots weren't that amazing, truth be told. I think if you view them from a strict plot angle, they're pretty on the nose and straightforward. P3's is probably the stronger ending, just due to how much of an unexpected twist it is (P3 Ending Spoiler:)
to have the main character slowly die.
P4's is pretty simple, and I'd almost say anti-climatic.

However, a lot of the sentimentality stems from how much you buy into the themes at the end. It's the finality of it all, the feeling that the journey is over, and the dialogue of the characters as they move towards a conclusion, that's really what makes those two endings stick out to me. It's that feeling of closure, that feeling of "wow, I'm going to miss this". Both P3 and 4 really nail that angle, and I have a feeling P5 does it justice as well.

From what I can tell, P5 might be even more straightforward, but I think there's probably a lot going on thematically that I'll probably enjoy.

Anyway, thanks for the impressions, Dantis. It sounds like it lives up to the series' legacy and doesn't really disappoint. The general idea I get from most impressions is that the game is pretty confident in what it wants to be, and the confidence really carries it. Too many games these days feel rushed or too chopped up. Sounds like there's some real coherency to this one.

Lynx_7

Kagutsuchi's theme from Nocturne is probably my favorite song on the OST.

My favorite has to be one of the World Map themes. Large Map Real Universe, Large Map, and Large Map Last Area. Goddamn were those some good map themes.
Actually, scratch that, credits roll is the best. Pretty much my go to song in Catherine's bar.
Out of the battle themes, I'd have to go with ONE MORE GOD REJECTED, or the Fiend's theme. Probably the Fiend's theme. Metaton's is pretty good too though.

@Lunar, I agree with that, though I also think P3's final act is really strong from a narrative point too. P4 isn't quite as strong but I dig the whole "fog of doom" atmosphere that they got going on with people going insane and such. If P5 has a similar stressful tone towards its ending, I'm probably really gonna enjoy it.

Dantis

That sub-boss remix is tremendous, hot damn.

Do we know how many tracks are on the final CD?

P3 and P4's actual plots weren't that amazing, truth be told. I think if you view them from a strict plot angle, they're pretty on the nose and straightforward. P3's is probably the stronger ending, just due to how much of an unexpected twist it is (P3 Ending Spoiler:)
to have the main character slowly die.
P4's is pretty simple, and I'd almost say anti-climatic.

However, a lot of the sentimentality stems from how much you buy into the themes at the end. It's the finality of it all, the feeling that the journey is over, and the dialogue of the characters as they move towards a conclusion, that's really what makes those two endings stick out to me. It's that feeling of closure, that feeling of "wow, I'm going to miss this". Both P3 and 4 really nail that angle, and I have a feeling P5 does it justice as well.

So I have basically two problems with Persona 5:
A) The antagonists are bad. Like, they're evil, but they're not done well. It doesn't come close to tarnishing the game, but it makes me put the story below P4, which at least had one decent antagonist. Think Persona 3 antagonists.

B) The final boss has a bad design and (relative to P3 and P4) a bad boss theme. Apparently he fits the context of the game, but it's not the epic showdown you might want or expect.

These are both relatively small flaws. The game is absolutely my favourite game this year. I would be stunned if it wasn't next year. At the same time, on a personal level, I always want more. People will misinterpret things and assume I dislike it, but I don't.

Persona 5 is a huge, wonderful, beatiful game. But it's largely more Persona. And I am absolutely okay with that.

As a side note, a lot of my guesses/ predictions were close or even dead on, and that makes me smile.

Sophia

A) The antagonists are bad. Like, they're evil, but they're not done well. It doesn't come close to tarnishing the game, but it makes me put the story below P4, which at least had one decent antagonist. Think Persona 3 antagonists.

I won't site specifics to avoid spoilers, but I will say that I disagree for the most part, and thus YMMV so.... *shrugs*

Then again, it'd be weird if I didn't disagree with something with Dantis. :p

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
People will misinterpret things and assume I dislike it, but I don't.
No pretty sure people just give you flak for talking about the story and how things didn't really resonate while not understanding Japanese. There's not much to misinterpret.

Lunar15

That sub-boss remix is tremendous, hot damn.

Do we know how many tracks are on the final CD?

B) The final boss has a bad design and (relative to P3 and P4) a bad boss theme. Apparently he fits the context of the game, but it's not the epic showdown you might want or expect.

These are both relatively small flaws. The game is absolutely my favourite game this year. I would be stunned if it wasn't next year. At the same time, on a personal level, I always want more. People will misinterpret things and assume I dislike it, but I don't.

Persona 5 is a huge, wonderful, beatiful game. But it's largely more Persona. And I am absolutely okay with that.

As a side note, a lot of my guesses/ predictions were close or even dead on, and that makes me smile.

I did wonder about villains. I'll reserve judgement, but the game seemed pretty straightforward in that everyone you're going after is pretty much straight evil. The more interesting parts of the series were characters struggling with their inner problems, while villains always felt like an afterthought. Your thoughts don't really surprise me, but I did wonder if they could get over this hump.

Anyway, It's kind of funny how we focus on the few negatives in a sea of compliments. As I said, it sounds like the game doesn't massively fuck anything up, which I think is a relief given that we've waited so damn long. Your impressions make the game seem real, which is a surreal feeling at this point. I'm beyond excited.

Mediking

I'm totally falling in love with Persona 1. I negotiated with my 1st demon and it was super exciting. I finally left the hospital and is trying to find the shrine. The overworld is more easier to navigate and explore than SMTIV. Lol. I know I said this before but that theme music of when you save the game is SO good.

I gotta find a good avatar of the P1 MC to use on GAF.

Sophia

I'm totally falling in love with Persona 1. I negotiated with my 1st demon and it was super exciting. I finally left the hospital and is trying to find the shrine. The overworld is more easier to navigate and explore than SMTIV. Lol. I know I said this before but that theme music of when you save the game is SO good.

Hahahahaha.

Ha.....

Be glad you're playing the PSP version.

The PS1's versions overworld was.... something special.

DNAbro

Speaking of SMTIV, Apocalypse was pretty great. If you like the feeling of BONDS you get from P4, you might really like the cast. Nowhere near as deep but I liked the cast quite a bit. Also voice acting was great, not worried about P5 at all.

asagami_

Banned

Pretty great you are having a fun with Persona 1. When you can, get a Lilim. I can't remember any Persona in the game, but she is a hell useful. Actually, maybe there are a few other Personaes who are pretty broken...

By the way, who is (or who you want to be) your
fifth party member
?

daevious

Pretty great you are having a fun with Persona 1. When you can, get a Lilim. I can't remember any Persona in the game, but she is a hell useful. Actually, maybe there are a few other Personaes who are pretty broken...

fifth party member
?

Odds are he's already
lost the opportunity to get Reiji
so I'd say going with Eriko is probably the best bet because
it'll make Eternal Punishment that much better when she comes back.

Mediking

Speaking of SMTIV, Apocalypse was pretty great. If you like the feeling of BONDS you get from P4, you might really like the cast. Nowhere near as deep but I liked the cast quite a bit. Also voice acting was great, not worried about P5 at all.

That's good to hear because I didn't like Jonathon or Walter at all in SMTIV. Only characters I liked were Burroughs and that Master Roshi wannabe guy for fusion demons.

fifth party member
?

Odds are he's already

???!?! We can have a 5th party member in P1? I had no idea.... so there is different party members going on.... interesting...

Hahahahaha.

Ha.....

Be glad you're playing the PSP version.

The PS1's versions overworld was.... something special.

Hahaha was it a disaster?

jzbluz

At least locations are tagged, something that SMTIV didn't even do. I don't think I ever played the original P1 so maybe it is worse.

Sophia

?! The combined powers of Fuuka, Rise, and the new navigator from P5 (forget her name...) aren't even enough to navigate that poorly designed map. Just yikes....

It runs at like 15 frames per second or something too, and it's REALLY slow.

The PSP version has a high encounter rate to match the amount of enemies you'd encounter in the PS1 version going across the map, more or less.

Related, but movement in 3D portions is way faster too, even before holding the run button related. The encounter rate was also adjusted to match this new speed.

At least they don't use 'bonds', so I don't get Ultimax flashbacks. You can tell they're being a bit heavy handed, but hey, it's Atlus. What can ya do?

That's good to hear because I didn't like Jonathon or Walter at all in SMTIV. Only characters I liked were Burroughs and that Master Roshi wannabe guy for fusion demons.

Apocalypse handles those two characters the same way it handles 4's backstory.
That is to say: Better in every way.

We even get our own law/chaos heroes and they're WAY better.

Dantis

No pretty sure people just give you flak for talking about the story and how things didn't really resonate while not understanding Japanese. There's not much to misinterpret.

Nope. Wait until February. People like to say I hate Persona. It's kinda weird.

Nope. Wait until February. People like to say I hate Persona. It's kinda weird.

Well you were all like "This game isn't what I want, and I am weirded out by this direction" when the phantom thief part was announced, and then all during lead up to release you were like "I think this is going to suck" just based on trailers

While it's a bit of an exaggeration to say you hate Persona, you sure complain a lot. ;)

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Cause that's when the version most of us can read happens.

? I already played the game, about to plat it too and I am capable of reading the language.
Just saying that the complaints made are very suspect given that they come from a place that didn't understand the language.

I mean sure to each their own but putting Adachi&co as villains over what we got in P5 I just don't know about that.
It just reads along the vein of someone reading the wiki summary of Breaking Bad and then talking about how it's kind of nothing special.
Hence "wait until February" so Dantis can actually judge to your standards (probably expects his opinion to not change)

Oh! I see thanks for clearing it up.

Dantis

Well you were all like "This game isn't what I want, and I am weirded out by this direction" when the phantom thief part was announced, and then all during lead up to release you were like "I think this is going to suck" just based on trailers

While it's a bit of an exaggeration to say you hate Persona, you sure complain a lot. ;)

Well, yeah, basically.

I approached it with an open mind though, and I loved it.

I feel like it's a much more standard Persona game than the trailers and Hashino have made out.

As for the complaints, I hold it to a higher standard. I think Atlus can always do better until they hit their 'Witcher 3 moment'.
The two story points that I have a problem with are because it's the same direction they've gone in previously. And until their writing is on the level of something like Last of Us, there's room for improvement.

asagami_

Banned
Odds are he's already

Eriko was my choose. She is so awesome than it's pretty sad when you understand that no one in this game is like her :(
She seems like a proto-P2 character, actually xD

Lunar15

Everything about the impressions I've read seem consistent, and Dantis isn't really an odd man out here. The idea that this is a refinement of everything the current P-Team has done, rather than a re-invention of the wheel, coupled with the fact that the game's themes fall along the line of what we've come to expect is not at all surprising, and it's going to resonate at completely different levels with different people.

I think it's very natural to expect more of the series' writing, given its subject nature. The people who've never had a problem with this will continue to not have a problem, but those that have always wanted more will probably still want more.

The key takeaway for me is simply that the game doesn't seem like a regression, and that's pretty much all I want out of impressions. Everything else is going to be highly subjective. They didn't fuck it up, basically. I think we all knew there were a lot of areas they could fuck it up, but it really sounds like they stuck to their guns and provided a good direction for the series instead of diverting to something that would really piss off a bunch of people. After the spinoffs, there was at least some reason for concern.

Setsu00

I'm really surprised to hear how many people say that the characters in 5 are much more nuanced and grounded than those of 4 and 3. The phantom thief setup made me think they were all various degrees of over the top, especially after the spin-offs.

Top Bottom