• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

I'm really surprised to hear how many people say that the characters in 5 are much more nuanced and grounded than those of 4 and 3. The phantom thief setup made me think they were all various degrees of over the top, especially after the spin-offs.

There's character gags to be sure, but they're not beaten into the dirt.
Whether the incoming spinoffs will do so is another matter...

Lynx_7

There's character gags to be sure, but they're not beaten into the dirt.
Whether the incoming spinoffs will do so is another matter...
Of course they will. I fully expect the characters in P5 to be reduced to a single gimmick in future spin-offs so get ready for Ryuuji acting like a literal monkey.

It's a bit silly to expect the quality of the writing in the spin-offs to reflect that of a main game and vice-versa anyway. I wasn't worried about a dip in quality for P5 because of the spin-offs since I know they're lower effort in general, not to mention handled by different people. The kind of worries I had were related to P3 and 4 themselves, because following up two beloved games after 8 years of growing expectations is a major undertaking, and the fact that they appear to have succeeded is a relief. Now P6 is the one that'll have to deal with the pressure of one upping 3, 4 and 5. :p

Mediking

At least locations are tagged, something that SMTIV didn't even do. I don't think I ever played the original P1 so maybe it is worse.

Don't get me started on SMTIV's map. Lol

It runs at like 15 frames per second or something too, and it's REALLY slow.

The PSP version has a high encounter rate to match the amount of enemies you'd encounter in the PS1 version going across the map, more or less.

Related, but movement in 3D portions is way faster too, even before holding the run button related. The encounter rate was also adjusted to match this new speed.

Hahahah wow.... really glad I'm playing P1 on Vita then.

Apocalypse handles those two characters the same way it handles 4's backstory.
That is to say: Better in every way.

We even get our own law/chaos heroes and they're WAY better.

Good. Eventually I am gonna pick up SMTIVA. I will.... just got some other games I wanna finish and play first.

Sophia

Hahahah wow.... really glad I'm playing P1 on Vita then.

I like the slower movement of the PS1 version for 3D dungeons, but yeah. The PSP version is an improvement in every area except the music. And lets not get started on which soundtrack is better. >_>;

Mediking

I like the slower movement of the PS1 version for 3D dungeons, but yeah. The PSP version is an improvement in every area except the music. And lets not get started on which soundtrack is better. >_>;

Hahahahaha just how many songs are different between versions? And you got a point... I do feel like I'm sprinting in the 3D dungeons but I like them because I really did feel like I was in a hospital or school. That 1st person view is pretty nice.

On the topic of the ost: Japanese players complained enough that they got the P1 DLC for P5 taken down because it included the PSP tracks rather than the PSX tracks.

Mediking

All of them. Meguro composed the new soundtrack from scratch to give it a similar vibe to P3 and P4. IMO the original soundtrack fit the game much better than the new one.

Wait, what? Meguro was the director AND composer for P1, right? So the PSP version of P1 aka the Vita version came AFTER Persona 4's original release????

QuadOpto

On the topic of the ost: Japanese players complained enough that they got the P1 DLC for P5 taken down because it included the PSP tracks rather than the PSX tracks.

As someone who actually liked a fair deal of the P1P soundtrack compared to the original P1 soundtrack (everything on it sounds too ambient and game-y to me; not something I'd really listen to in my free time) this makes me sad. :(

I hope if they do release the DLC again, they'll at least give a choice between P1 Original and P1P versions.

Setsu00

Wait, what? Meguro was the director AND composer for P1, right? So the PSP version of P1 aka the Vita version came AFTER Persona 4's original release????

Meguro was the director of the PSP version of Persona 1. I think Okada was the actual director.

Sophia

All of them. Meguro composed the new soundtrack from scratch to give it a similar vibe to P3 and P4. IMO the original soundtrack fit the game much better than the new one.

Not all of them. Persona 1 PSP is like 80% new tracks and 20% tracks from the original remixed. Most major themes are new tho, including all vocal songs.

Joqu

To be fair I'm under the impression Japanese players complained because they marketed the DLC in a way that made people think it would be og Persona 1 tracks and not the PSP version's

Setsu00

Since we do have some artists in here:

Atlus is hosting an art contest to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Persona series on Pixiv. You can get your illustration published in a new book tentativly called "Persona series×pixiv illust collection". 10 people will also also recieve a Persona 5 themed poster signed by Soejima. The deadline to enter your artwork is October 31, 2016.

And unlike PSC's Morgana Contest you can also join the contest if you're not from Japan. If you win one of the prizes, you will have to give them a Japanese adress though so they can send the prize to you.

What a smart solution! Providing two whole alternative tracks sounds like strenuous work, so why not be spiteful about it/return the spite. Is this real?

The actual reason given for taking it down was misleading advertising. The DLC pack name did imply that it would be based on the PSX version of the game (since the PSP version was released under a slightly different title), and it mentioned that they will be putting it back up at some point.

Yeah. Pretty sure this is it since I think it explicitly used the Persona 1 title for the PS1 that I don't think was the same for the PSP port.

Right, I think it was Megami Ibunroku Persona for the PS1 version, and just Persona for the PSP version.

Lynx_7

So, any of you wanna bet on what will be P6's main color scheme?
I'm going with green. It's a nice contrast to P5's red and I expect P6 to be lighter in tone than P5, similar to what P4 is to P3.

Also because it's the only gen 1 Pokemon color remaining.

DNAbro

I like/think green too, but not expecting to hear about that for like 2 years. Though I wouldn't call P5's tone dark, it just handles much more serious subjects, especially towards the start.

Strimei

Royal purple, calling it now.

I love that color, but it'll feel weird for me since I associate it with Saint's Row.

Down the street from me is a number of car dealers and one's got a car that's Third Street Saint's-purple and I think about it all the time.

That said, wouldn't mind.

Andrew J.

I'm going with green. It's a nice contrast to P5's red and I expect P6 to be lighter in tone than P5, similar to what P4 is to P3.

When I picture it purple is the first color to come to mind, I think because of the Resident Evil 6 cover.

Strimei

Saw this over on Twitter, nice fanart of the P5 crew in the PQ/Etrian style. Figured I'd share:

Ct7JHSDUIAE1Rks.jpg:large

Source

(No idea if there are spoilers present in the rest of their twitter feed, so do be careful)

A couple close friends decided to piss me off today by looking up P5 spoilers (they don't play Japanese games let alone Persona, but at least one of them said that the spoilers they read got them interested in the game, so there is that at least). Fucking pissed. They told me some supposedly vague shit but they did spoil a few things. For fuck's sake.

I mean, I guess if you're willing to drop 800 yen on the ugly as h*ck St. Hermelin uniforms you're probably an Old School Fan.

Like, all lot of the other costume DLC I could see people buying just because they think it looks cool even if they haven't played the source material, but the P1 uniforms are ugly and ain't no one buying that unless they're a fan, and if they're a fan it's probably not because they jumped on board with the PSP version, you know?

Um... by the way, what's a Battle Jingle? All of the costumes list background music and battle jingles, and I'm not really sure what that refers to and it's not like I can look it up on youtube to see an example.

I mean, I guess if you're willing to drop 800 yen on the ugly as h*ck St. Hermelin uniforms you're probably an Old School Fan.

Like, all lot of the other costume DLC I could see people buying just because they think it looks cool even if they haven't played the source material, but the P1 uniforms are ugly and ain't no one buying that unless they're a fan, and if they're a fan it's probably not because they jumped on board with the PSP version, you know?

Um... by the way, what's a Battle Jingle? All of the costumes list background music and battle jingles, and I'm not really sure what that refers to and it's not like I can look it up on youtube to see an example.

I think it's the battle results music?

barybll

Banned
I'm going with green. It's a nice contrast to P5's red and I expect P6 to be lighter in tone than P5, similar to what P4 is to P3

Since p6 will surely be even more grand than p5, im thinking purple

Lynx_7

Lots of purple around here. For some reason I associate that color with P1, probably because of the PSP's cover and butterfly.

I'll stick with green though, protagonist squad is going to be a greenpeace-esque group fighting against big evil corporations that harm the planet, just to coincide with the FF VII Remake that will be releasing around the same time. :p

barybll

Banned
Lots of purple around here. For some reason I associate that color with P1, probably because of the PSP's cover and butterfly.

I'll stick with green though, protagonist squad is going to be a greenpeace-esque group fighting against big evil corporations that harm the planet, just to coincide with the FF VII Remake that will be releasing around the same time. :p

Well, p2 was also red until p5 came
On another note with the way you described p6, if p4 is compared with scoobydoo, p6 would be compare with captain planet ;p

Green or royal purple seems to be the way to go. A darker shade of green, for sure, though.

Top Bottom