• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Makio

Im just happy the most obvious and cliche thing i was 100% sure was going to happen didnt happen
Morgana Human Form
(P5 Spoilers)
Unless i didnt see it yet.

Im just happy the most obvious and cliche thing i was 100% sure was going to happen didnt happen
Morgana Human Form
(P5 Spoilers)
Unless i didnt see it yet.

Did you watch the English stream?

Morgana claims to be a human that lost their form somehow but doesn't seem to know anything about it or have any actual memories to this point.

Which seems like it could go in all kinds of directions.

Makio

I watched and that got me thinking for a while , but seriously of all things it got leaked that's the one we dont see anything yet at least in the places you can spoil yourself.

Make more curious actually i want to see how play it out in the game and context.

Sophia

Reading this thread must be both amusing and frustrating for the people that played the Japanese version yet can't say anything.

Yeah, tell me about it. I wanna discuss the whole story, but I'm saving it for private conversations with people who have also played it/spoiled themselves.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I have popped into the thread again just to say never forget:

lbGm9HM.png

Zolo

Cool.
I'd rather not now how or why Morgana is male, seems like a major plot point.
(P5 spoilers)

Actually,
the party just asks and Morgana says he's a guy. He doesn't know what he may have used to be, but he identifies himself as a guy.

PK Gaming

There is one thing that needs to be discussed though, and it's Ann's butt pose when she gets knocked down.

AEiwyNt.png

What is going there, it's so damn out of character lmao.

Lynx_7

There is one thing that needs to be discussed though, and it's Ann's butt pose when she gets knocked down.

AEiwyNt.png

What do you mean out of character? Just look at those people's outfits, they're clearly into some kinky shit. One could even say, perhaps some sort of... roleplaying. ;)

X-post from the news thread:

I genuinely wonder how they will handle the localization effort this time around, as from what I've heard, P5 is a different beast than past games in multiple ways.

The Broken Japanese/English conversations, the additional dubbing of originally ubdubbed lines, the inclusion of dual audio...

One has to wonder how they will handle it all.

Will the Japanese voice track also have newly recorded lines to match the content of the English Dub? Will they translate lines differently than in the past so they work with both tracks? What can they possibly do about the sections where characters use broken English/Japanese?

So many questions...

jzbluz

I genuinely wonder how they will handle the localization effort this time around, as from what I've heard, P5 is a different beast than past games in multiple ways.

The Broken Japanese/English conversations, the additional dubbing of originally ubdubbed lines, the inclusion of dual audio...

Will the Japanese voice track also have newly recorded lines to match the content of the English Dub? Will they translate lines differently than in the past so they work with both tracks? What can they possibly do about the sections where characters use broken English/Japanese?

So many questions...

The Japanese VA for one of the SL characters is dead, so I doubt they'll record more Japanese lines. As for the broken English, haven't they dealt with that before? Didn't Mitsuru's English in the JP version change to French in the dub?

The Japanese VA for one of the SL characters is dead, so I doubt they'll record more Japanese lines. As for the broken English, haven't they dealt with that before? Didn't Mitsuru's English in the JP version change to French in the dub?

Yeah, but
one of the lines is coming from Ryuji at US customs. What he says has to be in English for it to make sense.

....Well I mean I GUESS they could just flip that line to Japanese since the line is literally just
HELLO I AM JAPANESE
, but it'd still be weird.

Strimei

Yeah she spoke english in the japanese version.

To be fair its not out of the question to replace a voice actor who died (will happen to some of Miyu's roles, like Hisui from Tsukihime, I imagine. Should they ever, y'know, actually put out a sequel or finish the remake. Which'll be never...isn't it sad, Sacchin...), but it does put a damper on it all the same.

I don't honestly see them recording new lines in Japanese, myself.

Two VAs now. One SL, and one
villain

cheez124

do you guys think they'll subtitle the mid-battle quips that the characters make for the japanese audio DLC? i'm considering doing my first playthough with the JP audio, but i'd hate to miss out on those battle quotes. might just end up doing my first playthrough with the english dub and save the japanese audio for a NG+

do you guys think they'll subtitle the mid-battle quips that the characters make for the japanese audio DLC? i'm considering doing my first playthough with the JP audio, but i'd hate to miss out on those battle quotes. might just end up doing my first playthrough with the english dub and save the japanese audio for a NG+

No, because there's no programming precedent within the game to insert subtitles there.

Makio

do you guys think they'll subtitle the mid-battle quips that the characters make for the japanese audio DLC? JP audio, but i'd hate to miss out on those battle quotes

No, they gonna handle it like they did in Tokyo Mirage Sessions , thats the best example for a localized Atlus game with japanese audio so far
Another reason im not too hot about the subs only choice we miss at least like 10-15 % of dialogue in battle

Like they say earlier i think all re-done or new lines are gonna be english exclusive since is the dub they are working out now , the japanese one is gonna be exactly the one they already had in the import version , no is like they cant get the cast again just to see how willing is Atlus japan to help them this time which always are the villains lol

Makio

Plus which parts of the game are not already voiced where they can add more voiced dialogue... coop (confidants) maybe since i see they are like in P3 and P4 where only rank 1 / 10 are fully voiced and the rest of the link use random generic one liners

I think maybe there can add more to make it significant and noticeable

The Japanese VA for one of the SL characters is dead, so I doubt they'll record more Japanese lines.

Two VAs now. One SL, and one
villain

Oh damn...

As for the broken English, haven't they dealt with that before? Didn't Mitsuru's English in the JP version change to French in the dub?

Yeah, but
one of the lines is coming from Ryuji at US customs. What he says has to be in English for it to make sense.

....Well I mean I GUESS they could just flip that line to Japanese since the line is literally just
HELLO I AM JAPANESE
, but it'd still be weird.

Hm... I wonder how they could handle things like these...

Yeah she spoke english in the japanese version.

Huh, never knew this - it worked fine there though.

Nachos

"Those who were preyed upon by you." The pronunciation is mumbled a bit.
Yeah, that makes sense. Guess it was a mix of the enunciation and the vocals from the music mixing together. I think it'll be much less of an issue in-game, since the line's guaranteed to have text to go with it, either from a dialogue bubble or cutscene subtitles.

I THINK he's saying "You will fully taste the wrath of those who are preyed upon by you."

But then again I'm not a native speaker so maybe I got it wrong.
"You will fully taste the wrath of those who are preyed upon by you" is what I think he's saying, which does make sense.
I mean, I don't know the context for the line, but using simple present tense would imply that the preying hasn't stopped or that it might happen again. The line strikes me as a typical "the hunter has become the hunted" line.

So many questions...
Honestly, some obviously-localized lines aside, I've noticed that a lot of the lines in P5 are kind of wooden, almost like they were translated more literally. The entire conversation where Morgana's explaining how the palace works to Ryuji just doesn't sit well with me. I'm looking at the website right now, and parts of it seem even more literal. "Change the hearts of corrupted adults! An exciting phantom thief life!" sounds like something that could only come out of Japan, and is like one step removed from a shonen anime episode title.

I adored Virtue's Last Reward's localized script quality, yet Zero Time Dilemma's was a big step down, partly because so much of it was so literal. I think it'd be a big mistake for P5 to take a similar shift, especially considering the standards set by the writing of the other games.

Honestly, some obviously-localized lines aside, I've noticed that a lot of the lines in P5 are kind of wooden, almost like they were translated more literally. The entire conversation where Morgana's explaining how the palace works to Ryuji just doesn't sit well with me. I'm looking at the website right now, and parts of it seem even more literal. "Change the hearts of corrupted adults! An exciting phantom thief life!" sounds like something that could only come out of Japan, and is like one step removed from a shonen anime episode title.

I adored Virtue's Last Reward's localized script quality, yet Zero Time Dilemma's was a big step down, partly because so much of it was so literal. I think it'd be a big mistake for P5 to take a similar shift, especially considering the standards set by the writing of the other games.

Yeah, I hope that they don't go too literal with their translations - some changes are needed to retain the flow; it's a hard balance to master.

On one hand, there need to be changes in English so that things don't sound so stilted. On the other, things need to remain close to the Japanese dub so that Dual Audio still makes sense.

On top of both of those, there's the English/Japanese lines to worry about...

Yeah, I hope that they don't go too literal with their translations - some changes are needed to retain the flow; it's a hard balance to master.

On one hand, there need to be changes in English so that things don't sound so stilted. On the other, things need to remain close to the Japanese dub so that Dual Audio still makes sense.

On top of both of those, there's the English/Japanese lines to worry about...

In regards to the bolded, how close do they really need to be? Seems to me the obvious solution is to write the most fluid and natural script possible in English. There will invariably be differences with the exact Japanese dialogue, but it will essentially be the same thing said two different ways.

Cool.
I'd rather not now how or why Morgana is male, seems like a major plot point.
(P5 spoilers)

It's good to be warry about spoilers , but not every detail about the characters are a major spoilers.
It is still something to hide for those who want to trully be in the dark when playing the first time, however.

In regards to the bolded, how close do they really need to be? Seems to me the obvious solution is to write the most fluid and natural script possible in English. There will invariably be differences with the exact Japanese dialogue, but it will essentially be the same thing said two different ways.

Well, it really depends - personally I believe that writing it to be fluid and natural is more important than exact, literal translations, but there comes a point where what the sub says and what the dub is saying are noticeably different. It's mainly an issue for people who know vocal/emotional cues from anime subs and will be able to notice the difference, but it's something to be aware of regardless.

Someone in the delay news thread mentioned Valkyria Chronicles 1, and it's a pretty accurate example of what I mean.

Well, it really depends - personally I believe that writing it to be fluid and natural is more important than exact, literal translations, but there comes a point where what the sub says and what the dub is saying are noticeably different. It's mainly an issue for people who know vocal/emotional cues from anime subs and will be able to notice the difference, but it's something to be aware of regardless.

Someone in the delay news thread mentioned Valkyria Chronicles 1, and it's a pretty accurate example of what I mean.

I'm not really familiar with Valkyria Chronicles (only played about half of it back when it released). Mind giving me a Cliff Notes version of what you mean? Or a place where I can read up about it?

As for people being able to tell the difference in lines from exposure to anime, that's exactly the kind of thing I don't think matters. For example, at one point Ryuji says "Ikuzo!" in Japanese, which is a pretty common phrase most people who watch anime will recognize as some variation of "Let's go!" In the English script, he says "Bring it!" Seems to me that's just two different ways to convey the same idea--that Ryuji is ready to fight. I think that as long as the impression on the viewer is the same, it doesn't matter what the specifics are.

What I'm trying to get at is that the script should avoid the kind of awkward phrasing that comes from trying to match the Japanese too closely, especially if the only major downside is that someone thinks things don't line up 100%. I'm not suggesting that the English script change the motivations of characters or the intent of a piece of dialogue.

I'm not really familiar with Valkyria Chronicles (only played about half of it back when it released). Mind giving me a Cliff Notes version of what you mean? Or a place where I can read up about it?

It's been a while since I've played Valkyria Chronicles with the Japanese Dub, so I'll let another user shed some light on it:

For example Valkyria Chronicles 1 had a pretty atrocious translation at times which I could spot even with the most basic understanding of the Japanese language after barely learning it for half a year (which also helped being able to realize missing context in scenes or for lines that didn't make sense before because they literally translated that context relevant information away in the subs/English dub).

What I'm trying to get at is that the script should avoid the kind of awkward phrasing that comes from trying to match the Japanese too closely, especially if the only major downside is that someone thinks things don't line up 100%. I'm not suggesting that the English script change the motivations of characters or the intent of a piece of dialogue.

I agree with you - here's hoping that they don't translate super literally simply out of fear of not matching the Dual Audio 100%.

The English/Japanese dialogue will be interesting, however... They need that to work in English as well as Dual Audio Japanese w/ English Subs... Maybe have two separate versions of the script, one that changes that scene to somehow work in English (For the English Dub), and one that leaves it as it was? (For the Japanese Dub)

It's been a while since I've played Valkyria Chronicles with the Japanese Dub, so I'll let another user shed some light on it:

I agree with you - here's hoping that they don't translate super literally simply out of fear of not matching the Dual Audio 100%.

The English/Japanese dialogue will be interesting, however... They need that to work in English as well as Dual Audio Japanese w/ English Subs... Maybe have two separate versions of the script, one that changes that scene to somehow work in English (For the English Dub), and one that leaves it as it was? (For the Japanese Dub)

Thanks for the quote about Valkyria Chronicles, I hadn't heard anything about that before. I'm kinda jealous that person knew enough Japanese from 6 months to pick out context from conversations; I studied it for a year and consider myself lucky when I understand anything, haha.

I doubt there's any programming to display two completely different subtitles for the same piece of dialogue, so Atlus USA would probably need Atlus Japan's support to implement anything like that. This might be my bias as a dub fan, but I think that for the number of times that the characters speak complete sentences in broken English isn't worth the headache of multiple scripts. It'll be weird to hear one thing in broken English while reading something completely different, but this will only happen a handful of times in an 80+ hour game that one must play with an optional download voice track. That sounds like something that would be pretty far down the priority list to me.

Lynx_7

Real talk, dual audio will change nothing at all about the localization. It's a nice bonus for the people that have been clamoring for it and that's the end of it.
Making two scripts would be an aggressive wasting of everyone's time.
This is my new favorite sentence.

Dantis

AEiwyNt.png

Ann is sexualised pretty badly. Her awakening scene is the only one with sexual overtones to it as well.

Jintor

i hate to japanese culture this one but that particular pose is pretty much japanese generic-brand slapstick humour pratfalling

_Ryo_

So.. on the Persona 5 English gameplay stream there was a banner that said Playstation 4 exclusive stream, I think. Did they cancel the PS3 version and does that mean p5 isn't coming to Switch?

So.. on the Persona 5 English gameplay stream there was a banner that said Playstation 4 exclusive stream, I think. Did they cancel the PS3 version and does that mean p5 isn't coming to Switch?

The banner said that the stream was showing the PS4 version. The PS3 version is still coming out.

Andrew J.

It's coming to PS3. The special edition is PS4 exclusive, however.

No Switch version has been confirmed at all.

Top Bottom