• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

OrionX

My problem was that it made Chie sound very young, hyperactive and cartoony. I was going to say she sounded like a character from Recess, but I feel like that's doing Recess a disservice.
For Makoto to sound like it is insane to me. It doesn't fit with my perception of the character at all.

Personally, I thought Chie's Golden voice made her sound more age appropriate. And she was a very hyperactive person so I thought it fit well.

I can't comment much on Makoto since I don't really know much about the character yet, but I get what you're saying.

Edit: Though it kinda seems like all the character's have exaggerated "superhero" one-liners during battle. I enjoy OTT stuff like that.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm popping back into this thread just to say I don't know why Atlus hates us all so much. I'll be back once I've played P5, if you don't see me assume I passed away from natural causes before doing so.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
My problem was that it made Chie sound very young, hyperactive and cartoony. I was going to say she sounded like a character from Recess, but I feel like that's doing Recess a disservice.
For Makoto to sound like it is insane to me. It doesn't fit with my perception of the character at all.

Agreed. Makoto definitely sounds younger/softer than I would expect for an older, student council president figure.

I can maybe kind of see what they were going for with her having some of the more 'timid' moments in being indecisive, afraid, and the like, but.....even her 'Fist of Justice' sounded childish/young, rather than badass.

Not to say the VO can't surprise me, Ryuji's did during the stream today, but the trailer does not give a good first impression.

Makio

That line is way too long for something that we're going to end up doing 50000 times over the course of the game. It's gonna get so old.

But it got a variation too "i will reveal your true form" which is longer and unfitting , so we going to use the show me one only 25000 times

Reading comments from last year of fans that thought we would get a WW release or that we wouldn't have to wait more then 2 months is kinda of funny
Like stepping on a cactus HAHAHA KILL ME

That's kind of the point, though. Her lines seem like they're directing her to be Chie 2.0 and that's super off.

Agreed. Makoto definitely sounds younger/softer than I would expect for an older, student council president figure.

.... even her 'Fist of Justice' sounded childish/young, rather than badass.

Not to say the VO can't surprise me, Ryuji's did during the stream today, but the trailer does not give a good first impression.

Yeah, these were my biggest takeaways from her trailer. She sounds far too childish and immature for an older character that sounded raw and powerful originally.

I was super excited for her ever since PV04, but right now I'm rather disappointed with what we've got.

I really hope that the extra localization time helps them get it right...

Makio

I really hope that the extra localization time helps them get it right...

Or low-key gets a new actress at all hehe.

In Cherami defense seeing her interview , with a haircut (wig) and some red contacts she can totally pull it off a cosplay of Makoto if she wants...she kinda look like her lol , very good looking lady.

But that doesnt help since we care about her voice and delivery ;)

It kinda goes along with her voice being a bit too high pitched compared to the original, but I think the issue is that it makes her sound too much like Chie 2.0.

... See?

Pretty much this.

I don't even have a problem with Chie, it's just that it feels like taking a pre-existing vibrant, almost kooky performance that was popular and applying it to a relatively serious and conflicted new character.

A bit too Cynthia than Lucina, if you catch my drift.

Sophia

I honestly don't think it sounds that off for Makoto. The intonation of her voice sounds fine, especially the first line when compared to it's Japanese counterpart. I think it'll sound better once we hear it in the context of the game too.

I thought Morgana sounded a little off from the trailer, but seeing the in game performance Cassandra Lee absolutely nailed it. Probably the same case here.

Metroidvania

I honestly don't think it sounds that off for Makoto. The intonation of her voice sounds fine, especially the first line when compared to it's Japanese counterpart. I think it'll sound better once we hear it in the context of the game too.

I thought Morgana sounded a little off from the trailer, but seeing the in game performance Cassandra Lee absolutely nailed it. Probably the same case here.

I will say that upon watching her trailer again, the (presumed) 'Thief-mode' dialogue does go a bit deeper, which helps.

But screaming out 'Fist of Justice!!!' like a pre-time-skip Naruto character is just....bleargh.

;___;

H-h-hows it going, guys?

giphy.gif

Metroidvania

Fist of Justice does sound out of place, but the tone doesn't. She's a little bit childish in the Japanese version too when fighting (Minor gameplay spoilers, also note the comment, lol.)

She sounds....younger during the all-out screen dialogue, sure.

But what I presume to be some sort of lackadaisical/cocky/coy (or some semblance therein) response is a far cry from shouting out a catchphrase.

the JPN one

Compared to this...

Something definitely feels quite different in tone to me.

Not saying I won't give it more time to see her full range, but this definitely raises an eyebrow on my end.

She sounds....younger during the all-out screen dialogue, sure.

But what I presume to be some sort of lackadaisical/cocky/coy (or some semblance therein) response is a far cry from shouting out a catchphrase.

the JPN one

Compared to this...

Something definitely feels quite different in tone to me.

Not saying I won't give it more time to see her full range, but this definitely raises an eyebrow on my end.
Well, aren't those two different lines? Characters have multiple lines for their finishers (Ann used two on the stream today) so it makes sense there's different tones. Curious to see how Cherami delivers the other finisher lines.

Makio

It amuses me greatly that Joker's idle animation in battle is what it is and that that animation wasn't given to like Ryuuji or someone. Cocky fucker. :p

Is funny how Joker is basically Dante from Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series.
His battle stance is basically Dante "Provoke" taunt and his direct attack is like "Rebellion" but more flashy with jumps & shit.

When you think this game cant get a more "Nocturne" feeling with other playable details which piss me off how we dont get a Nocturne dlc i mean costumes are easy girls dress like Chiaki , dudes like Isamu ,Morgana Pixie & Demi-Joker ...
But was a real shame is not had that sweet battle theme (same with Digital Devil Saga) tf Atlus

Is funny how Joker is basically Dante from Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series.
His battle stance is basically Dante "Provoke" taunt and his direct attack is like "Rebellion" but more flashy with jumps & shit.

Never even thought of that, though I can see why you think so.

Who he does remind me of, A LOT, is Arsene Lupin himself. There's a different victory animation that plays when Joker's the only one still alive. The smug showing off followed by bashfulness in that animation reminded me instantly of several parts in Maurice Leblanc's books where Lupin gets into a sort of bragging fit before realizing what he's doing and apologizing to whoever's in the room with him.

The fact that I can actually draw that comparison makes me very happy.

Jintor

Makoto's a bit younger sounding than I would have thought but she's fine. A bit like a more serious Chie.

The real challenge is going to be Futaba imho. Her va in Japanese is amazing

Metroidvania

Well, aren't those two different lines? Characters have multiple lines for their finishers (Ann used two on the stream today) so it makes sense there's different tones. Curious to see how Cherami delivers the other finisher lines.

Huh. Did not know they had more than one line for finishers- missed a good chunk of the stream while in class. and was going off the (admittedly limited exposure) Joker using the same opening line over and over for Ambushes.

Well, we'll have to wait and see, then, I suppose.

It's too damn frustrating, usually I don't care about delays because I'm always overwhelmed with games to play but my anticipation for P5 is on a completely different level from the rest, to say that I'll just play something else doesn't cut it for me.
It's been 8 years since P4, this is the fifth fucking delay, the game is out in Japan and avoiding spoilers will only get harder.
Man, I can't even remember the last time I was actually pissed because of gaming related stuff, probably 20 years ago.
Fuck this, I'm going to sleep.
Real life problems will take my mind off this in the morning, there are plenty of them and they don't get delayed.

You are overreacting. We''ll be getting an even higher quality localisation, and dual audio. I'm not even into dual audio, but that doesn't mean others aren't. This is a win/win in my eyes. Good for Atlus in terms of quality, and business. Consumers are happier with dual audio, February was loaded with big games, and not to mention the Switch's launch around the corner.

On a personal note, I lost my Father suddenly last week, and i'm dealing with this delay well. You'll live, dude.

What I don't really understand is why the English localization isn't using the English font already in the game. It's a lot closer in style to the Japanese font, and I think it looks a lot better than the one they're using now. The one they have now is so much thicker with these hard corners and I don't feel it matches at all. The Japanese font had thinner lines and was rounded at corners and ends and the English font in that version kept that style.

On a personal note, I lost my Father suddenly last week, and i'm dealing with this delay well. You'll live, dude.

My condolences to you.

Nimby

Banned
I'm all for the delay if it means a higher quality localization. More voiced dialog is greatly welcomed.

Morgana and Ryuji have really solid VA. Ryuji's came off really strong during his awakening

Sophia

What I don't really understand is why the English localization isn't using the English font already in the game. It's a lot closer in style to the Japanese font, and I think it looks a lot better than the one they're using now. The one they have now is so much thicker with these hard corners and I don't feel it matches at all. The Japanese font had thinner lines and was rounded at corners and ends and the English font in that version kept that style.

Most likely what happened was they tried it, and felt it didn't look good for the entire game.

Most likely what happened was they tried it, and felt it didn't look good for the entire game.

I guess! I don't like the one they replaced it with either, though! :/

Morgana and Ryuji have really solid VA. Ryuji's came off really strong during his awakening

They showed an English awakening? Damn, I missed it. I really like the cast's Personas' voices in Japanese and I wanted to compare. Hopefully they upload the stream for rewatching tomorrow.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So first time playing through P4 ever here and I just got P4G and it's been a hell of a blast.

I'm on may 2nd at the moment and I had found the contrarian king like a day ago, my first attempt went amazingly where I brought him down to a silver of HP and then he did rampage and everyone except my main character just exploded, figured I had hit a time wall or a critical percentage because after i used a revival bead on one of my party members he just did it again lol.

Then I went for a round 2 and he just started going ham on rampage on his 2nd turn.

What do? Am I just supposed to go all out on phys resist or something? not even guard + media spam felt like it could save my life. My jack frost seems functional but jeez the king is a real beast.

Nachos

What I don't really understand is why the English localization isn't using the English font already in the game. It's a lot closer in style to the Japanese font, and I think it looks a lot better than the one they're using now.
That's because it's still the Japanese font. It just has English characters. Same thing for P3 and P4, actually. Both games, and all their re-releases, use a Japanese font called Skip, and the English games just use the English characters in it.

My condolences to you.
Yeah, ditto, Silent.

Sophia

So first time playing through P4 ever here and I just got P4G and it's been a hell of a blast.

I'm on may 2nd at the moment and I had found the contrarian king like a day ago, my first attempt went amazingly where I brought him down to a silver of HP and then he did rampage and everyone except my main character just exploded, figured I had hit a time wall or a critical percentage because after i used a revival bead on one of my party members he just did it again lol.

Then I went for a round 2 and he just started going ham on rampage on his 2nd turn.

What do? Am I just supposed to go all out on phys resist or something? not even guard + media spam felt like it could save my life. My jack frost seems functional but jeez the king is a real beast.

The Contrarian King is pretty difficult if you attempt to challenge it the moment it's available. The big thing about Rampage is that it can hit every party member up to three times. So beating it requires using the accuracy lowering skill, Sukunda. Also consider Tarunda to lower it's attack, and a Persona with resistance to physical skills as well. It may cast Red Wall, but don't be fooled, it's actually weak to Ice and Electricity skills. If you've got any Physical Mirrors, you may wish to use them as well here to survive the first Rampage. Also make sure you have revival beads, because the fight has an element of luck as to who survives.

Persona Cheat Sheet list:
Obariyon (level 13, resists physical), Saki Mitama (level 11, has Sukunda + healing skills), Sarasvati (level 17, Healing + Ice skills), Eligor (level 12, resist physical), Ara Mitama (level 18, resists physical, has Rakunda), Xiezhai (level 16, has Rakunda), Lilim (Level 10, has Zio, can inherit any elemental spells, gets Sukukaja at 13)

Shockingly, the Twitch VOD is actually working for me. I was going to wait until they uploaded it to YouTube because I didn't want to risk seeing spoilers in the chat and because Twitch VODs are always crap to me, but it's working today.

Anyway, I take my comments about the font back. Seeing it in a better resolution makes it look a lot better. I don't really have a problem with it, I don't think.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The Contrarian King is pretty difficult if you attempt to challenge it the moment it's available. The big thing about Rampage is that it can hit every party member up to three times. So beating it requires using the accuracy lowering skill, Sukunda. Also consider Tarunda to lower it's attack, and a Persona with resistance to physical skills as well. It may cast Red Wall, but don't be fooled, it's actually weak to Ice and Electricity skills. If you've got any Physical Mirrors, you may wish to use them as well here to survive the first Rampage. Also make sure you have revival beads, because the fight has an element of luck as to who survives.

Persona Cheat Sheet list:
Obariyon (level 13, resists physical), Saki Mitama (level 11, has Sukunda + healing skills), Sarasvati (level 17, Healing + Ice skills), Eligor (level 12, resist physical), Ara Mitama (level 18, resists physical, has Rakunda), Xiezhai (level 16, has Rakunda), Lilim (Level 10, has Zio, can inherit any elemental spells, gets Sukukaja at 13)

Thanks! So I'm gonna guess my first attempt was a total fluke then :p I'll probably return later when I can fuse some higher level personas, I really want a Sarasvati for the invigorate 2 so I can stop worrying so much about SP items and stay in dungeons for as long as I want.

Also, how important are weapons upgrades? I recently spent like 30k on upgrading my party's weapons to ones that have double the atk value, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet. Are skills based off the weapons atk value?

Sophia

Thanks! So I'm gonna guess my first attempt was a total fluke then :p I'll probably return later when I can fuse some higher level personas, I really want a Sarasvati for the invigorate 2 so I can stop worrying so much about SP items and stay in dungeons for as long as I want.

Also, how important are weapons upgrades? I recently spent like 30k on upgrading my party's weapons to ones that have double the atk value, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet. Are skills based off the weapons atk value?

Weapon only impacts your standard attack and All Out Attacks. Persona Skills are determined by the strength stat instead. However your All Out Attack is important when clearing enemies so don't neglect them. Do try to look for weapons with secondary effects tho.

Some people believe that the Contrarian King actually uses Rampage less if you don't strike it's weaknesses, but I'm not sure how truthful that is. It is true that it's Rampage is somewhat stronger than average tho.

Pachael

Let the poor guy be.

He's probably got nothing to do with the delays anyway.

He did promise us for the dual audio, so he probably did have something to do with this #Hardindelivered

Anyway I expect dual audio to give them time to finesse the localisaton and QA the game for both audio options - wouldn't want the audio mixed up during a long cutscene.

So double dipping though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Weapon only impacts your standard attack and All Out Attacks. Persona Skills are determined by the strength stat instead. However your All Out Attack is important when clearing enemies so don't neglect them. Do try to look for weapons with secondary effects tho.

Some people believe that the Contrarian King actually uses Rampage less if you don't strike it's weaknesses, but I'm not sure how truthful that is. It is true that it's Rampage is somewhat stronger than average tho.

Okay great, that's actually super helpful and it should actually give me more of a pause when asking myself whether or not I really need to spend half my money to upgrade my weapon.

I feel like Contrarian King's Rampage is one of those things like in vanilla WoW with Onyxia's deep breath (if you're not familiar with this it's an attack where she just fills the room with fire and everyone takes huge damage unless you're wearing a special cape, it was completely random but every guild had their own superstition or theory as to how it occurred). At one point I became convinced that Rampage wouldn't trigger if I hit him with a regular attack every turn cycle lol. I was quickly proven wrong when he just dropped one out turn 3.

Sophia

Okay great, that's actually super helpful and it should actually give me more of a pause when asking myself whether or not I really need to spend half my money to upgrade my weapon.

I feel like Contrarian King's Rampage is one of those things like in vanilla WoW with Onyxia's deep breath (if you're not familiar with this it's an attack where she just fills the room with fire and everyone takes huge damage unless you're wearing a special cape, it was completely random but every guild had their own superstition or theory as to how it occurred). At one point I became convinced that Rampage wouldn't trigger if I hit him with a regular attack every turn cycle lol. I was quickly proven wrong when he just dropped one out turn 3.

I'm very familiar with Onyxia, and yeah, Rampage does remind me of that. XD

NOW HIT IT VERY HARD AND VERY FAST! MORE DOTS MORE DOTS I DON'T SEE ENOUGH DOTS

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm very familiar with Onyxia, and yeah, Rampage does remind me of that. XD

NOW HIT IT VERY HARD AND VERY FAST! MORE DOTS MORE DOTS I DON'T SEE ENOUGH DOTS

Lmaoo yeah the similarities are quite remarkable, anyways is there a time limit on bonus bosses? I'm guessing if I wait until I'm too high level the point of doing the boss will be gone right?

Sophia

Lmaoo yeah the similarities are quite remarkable, anyways is there a time limit on bonus bosses? I'm guessing if I wait until I'm too high level the point of doing the boss will be gone right?

There's no time limit for the regular bonus bosses at the dungeons, sans for one really late in the game that only appears on New Game Plus. So don't fret.

That being said, the rewards will obviously have diminishing effects the longer you wait

Nachos

The bonus bosses are always available, but yeah, the longer you wait, the more the value of the rewards will lower. One good thing, though, is that you get an unique weapon for beating each one. Not all of them are worth it, but some are really good.

I still don't like Makoto or Morgana's english voices compared to their japanese voices. Makoto's sounds a biiit young and not mature, which doesn't seem to fit how she acts in the trailers. I hope that Makoto and Morgana sounds better in-game, but after watching today's Atlus stream with Morgana's voice in action, I STILL didn't like it. Just hoping Makoto doesn't sound as childish, but her all-out attack voice just doesn't sound appealing to how she looks and acts

;___;

H-h-hows it going, guys?

Actually kind of happy. Better localization, more English lines, and Japanese audio. Personally, delay is fine by me for what we're getting from it, and I'm not too invested in P5 so waiting isn't hard at all. Once we get to about a month before is when I would start to get hyped for it

Top Bottom