• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Lynx_7

P4's anime is good for what it is but I don't think the story works nearly as well as it does in its original game format. The pacing feels rather rushed (specially plot relevant segments and the
true ending
ova) which in turn makes lots of scenes lack their original impact, the dungeon and boss segments (and pretty much anything that would qualify as an action sequence) were really poorly handled, the story took a hit in atmosphere and so on. It handled the slice of life and comedy moments much better than it did the main story. I commend the anime for trying to make SLs work by condensing most of them in that detective Nanako episode but it also means you don't really get to know any of those characters without playing the game. I think the anime could've used one more cour so they could pace it out better. As it stands it's a fun adaptation at times but I consider it more of a supplemental experience to the game than something that can stand out on its own.

Mediking

Let's say... Atlus gets a brief new trailer for a game during the Switch event. What do you think it would be?

@A Dead Diehard: I'm afraid to click on that block spoiler text of yours, fam. Lol

Let's say... Atlus gets a brief new trailer for a game during the Switch event. What do you think it would be?

@A Dead Diehard: I'm afraid to click on that block spoiler text of yours, fam. Lol

The game doesn't really treat it like spoilers, but that can also be said about something that happens WAY later.

Nimby

Banned
I would be surprised if Atlus was absent from the event, especially because they just put up a teaser website, which heavily hints towards SMTV, and the director said we would only be waiting a "little longer"

Just the timing and all makes me think at least a small teaser trailer for the next SMT game will be there, maybe TMS will get a port too, unsure about P5. I could be too optimistic altogether though.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I would be surprised if Atlus was absent from the event, especially because they just put up a teaser website, which heavily hints towards SMTV, and the director said we would only be waiting a "little longer"

Just the timing and all makes me think at least a small teaser trailer for the next SMT game will be there, maybe TMS will get a port too, unsure about P5. I could be too optimistic altogether though.

I honestly doubt they'll be there, Atlus have never been ones to jump on new consoles. Even P5 was only announced for PS3. There could be a #FE port though.

The only Atlus thing I might expect from the event would be if they have another collaboration with Nintendo. SMT V or whatever the site is teasing would most likely be revealed as part of one of their own streams.

It's not impossible that they could have a small teaser for something then do a full reveal in their own time, as with that P5 anime teaser they had during Sony's TGS show that one year (even if that wasn't the initial debut), but I wouldn't go into the event expecting it.

Atlus have released games early in consoles lifespan before. Trauma Centre was within a year of the DS launching, and Devil Survivor Overclocked was in the 3DS's launch year.

cheez124

just finished persona 3! i really enjoyed it, even though i kinda spoiled myself on a lot of it before i played. i also ended up making
nyx avatar
a complete joke by grinding to level 90 in monad to get messiah, but oh well, lol. i'm debating whether or not i should play the answer or watch it on youtube, since apparently it's locked to hard difficulty, and i also have a big backlog to finish. any opinions?

just finished persona 3! i really enjoyed it, even though i kinda spoiled myself on a lot of it before i played. i also ended up making
nyx avatar
a complete joke by grinding to level 90 in monad to get messiah, but oh well, lol. i'm debating whether or not i should play the answer or watch it on youtube, since apparently it's locked to hard difficulty, and i also have a big backlog to finish. any opinions?

The Answer overall is generally kinda disliked. I usually never condone watching things over playing them, but I think it's okay to just watch The Answer instead honestly.

nyx avatar

There's no compendium in The Answer and it's all dungeon crawling, so, uh, it's sort of anti-fun.

Musou are cheap to produce and kind of like the "generic video game thing" of this era*, which I don't mean in a bad way, but they're like 2D platformers in the SNES era - if someone one wanted to make a licensed video game on the SNES, it was almost always going to be a 2D platformer.

Agreed. I can't say I've ever gotten any long time enjoyment from a musou game, usually have fun for an hour and realized it's just a reskin like the others and stop. Just feel kinda cheap and phoned in and don't do anything fun or cool with the subject material. I much prefer the weird spin-offs Persona got that I never saw coming, like Fighting games and Rhythm games. While I don't think these spin-offs were the best I've ever played in either genre, it was fun to see my favorite characters and series in a completely unpredictable format for two genres I really love.

If they did do a Musou game I would hope they incorporate the Raidou 2 Magnetite system in it, because honestly that was my favorite twist on the Press Turn/Hit Enemy Weakness system to grace an Atlus game.

Makio

Part of me wanted Persona 5 battle system was more like Raidou games when we dont know anything about the game besides the first teasers, and still want it maybe not for a main entry but see a Persona / SMT using that more "action" battle gameplay again.

Lynx_7

Okay ignoring the last sentence, slice of life Pokemon RPG.

Hey now, it wouldn't be an Atlus x Nintendo colaboration without botching the base concept. At least the gameplay will be good.
I'm still a bit salty I guess

Hot take ahead: instead of a Musou, Atlus should take a page from Square's book and outsource Raidou 3's gameplay to Platinum while keeping creative control. They could use a new project after the Microsoft debacle.

I admit the New Shin Megami Tensei Project's trailer was worrying me for a second because it was looking kinda janky, but it just being something they threw together real quick helps

Strimei

I admit the New Shin Megami Tensei Project's trailer was worrying me for a second because it was looking kinda janky, but it just being something they threw together real quick helps

Here's hoping it doesn't come back to bite them in the ass like the initial SMTxFE trailer, heh. THough at least this doesn't really promise stuff like...well, SMTxFE did.

Lynx_7

I for one can't wait until the rereveal 3 years later with Asahi as protagonist in her journey to become Tokyo's biggest pop star.

Olengie

Why's that, I'm assuming you're really used to the P3 dubs from the games huh?

The Jap. VAs on the movies were actually really good. This is also coming from someone who would've liked the original English VAs from P3.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Jap VAs for the movies. But I would also like to watch it with the P3 Dub Cast as well.

Makio

I for one can't wait until the rereveal 3 years later with Asahi as protagonist in her journey to become Tokyo's biggest pop star.

The SMT fandom can take a shot like that again ? .... plus SMT Apocalypse got enough fan service already i wouldnt be surprised would hilarious haha

Makio

I cant believe we had two games now using new engines (P5 and SMT SW) and Atlus still using the Nocturne demon design someone could think this was a good chance to update them but...

Not complain tho i find it iconic , dont fix if not broken i guess

I cant believe we had two games now using new engines (P5 and SMT SW) and Atlus still using the Nocturne demon design someone could think this was a good chance to update them but...

Not complain tho i find it iconic , dont fix if not broken i guess

A lot of those designs are a lot older than Nocturne

And a few of them have been updated, trailer used some of the Apocalypse redesigns.

Lynx_7

I'm glad they also brought Nocturne Thor back, his other design is kinda lame. Maybe this means the game will have a bigger focus on Norse mythology. Nah, probably stretching it.

Odin's Apocalypse design is fire but I'll miss Krishna.

Also, I wonder if Hashino's new project will also use Unreal 4. I was really surprised to see they won't be reciclying P5's engine. Maybe it's only for Persona games?

Mediking

NEXT TIME I TEASE SOMETHING... GIMME MY CREDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Well I mean given that the game has just started development it's not like they're gonna bust out All Brand New Demons Designs.

The 3D models help breathe some life into the old demon designs, but yeah it'd be nice if they, like, sat down and created thirty or so new demons for a game and started retiring some of the older ones.

Top Bottom