• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I think the series would seriously contort itself into a circle if it tried to address the main character without using the term 'sempai'

FluxWaveZ

Kuns and Senpai's are in P2ISP

They are? Guess I must have glossed over them since I was used to it.

I actually like them. I see them as a quirk - a wrinkle in the series personality - and a small way the games acknowledge what they are and where they come from. I'm not sure if I'd be sad if they removed them, but I know I think they shouldn't.

Yeah, I can see that. Again, I don't dislike them. I guess it's when I start to pay close attention and then I start hearing...
the term 'sempai'

used in every other line of dialogue, I start to wonder if it's necessary.

FluxWaveZ

Do you really want the game to just say 'You' every freaking line of dialogue? Ya gotta have them voiced lines, dawg.

Actually, I'd really like it if the protagonist had a set name. But, in the case of an optional character name, replacements like "senpai", "partner" and "big bro" actually are necessary for voiced dialogue, I suppose.

Jintor

But then I can't name my protagonist after different kinds of fish. What kind of life would you consign me to, you monster?

I actually like them. I see them as a quirk - a wrinkle in the series personality - and a small way the games acknowledge what they are and where they come from. I'm not sure if I'd be sad if they removed them, but I know I think they shouldn't.

I couldn't agree more. Descriptive conventions, whether they are cultural like those in Persona or nomenclature heard in a military shooter, gives a sense of place and/or identity. Anyway, I still think that they should have called the boxed lunches obento if their going to call grilled squid ikayaki.

I hope Persona 5 is in Japan and not in an ambiguous world like Catherine. In Japan magic/spirits are real... I've seen them... I drank the toso.

Squire

Banned
Actually, I'd really like it if the protagonist had a set name. But, in the case of an optional character name, replacements like "senpai", "partner" and "big bro" actually are necessary for voiced dialogue, I suppose.

Definitely. I was dynamited with how well written Final Fantasy X is because even though you know the main characters' name is Tidus, you can change it which mean no one can ever use that name in voiced dialogue.

And they don't. It's great. You don't realize what a feet it is until you play X-2 and everyone keeps mentioning "him".

And to Jintors' point, yeah: It's much more interesting that say Rise calls me "Senpai" instead of just saying "you" at every turn like half the cast.

Moonlight

Banned
I'll have to make a note to myself to check out this Fate/Zero thing.
Yeah, I'm cutting to Zero then.
You won't regret it.

Just avoid Fate/Stay Night at all costs. You'll start to wonder how Zero ever managed the heights it reached given the source material.

What do you guys feel about the use of Japanese honorifics in Persona?
I'm completely fine with it. I think it adds a kind of flavour to the dialogue. A few of my friends give me a bit of shit when they hear -sans and -senpais flying everywhere, but I think it gives Persona a certain character to the setting.

Gonna post this here, hopefully the Persona community is not entirely focused just on this Shin Megami Tensei =P:
Raidou Kuzunoha D-arts
http://tamashii.jp/item/10319/:
item_0000010319_02.jpg

item_0000010319_01.jpg

item_0000010319_03.jpg

item_0000010319_04.jpg

item_0000010319_05.jpg

item_0000010319_06.jpg

item_0000010319_07.jpg

item_0000010319_08.jpg

item_0000010319_09.jpg

item_0000010319_10.jpg

Dantis

This is exactly how I feel.

I don't want this. The protagonist is meant to be the player, and this would pull away from it. And if they voiced the protagonist, then that would remove that idea completely.

Damn, each time I think the bosses can't get harder, they do so and then some.
Naoto's
wasn't too bad; I only died once before beating it. But
Nagatame
is so hard. I've done a lot of grinding and I still feel underlevelled.

FluxWaveZ

I don't want this. The protagonist is meant to be the player, and this would pull away from it. And if they voiced the protagonist, then that would remove that idea completely.

That's where I don't agree. It's that kind of mentality of sticking to the tradition that made the developers make the horrible decision of turning Maya into a silent protagonist, despite obviously having a personality from her battle quips and her dialogue choices. Tatsuya also had an established personality, even though the player could choose his name. I was perfectly fine with how Aigis was handled as the protagonist in The Answer, as well.

I don't need the protagonist to reflect the player as long as they maintain player agency regarding dialogue choices among other kinds.

Dantis

That's where I don't agree. It's that kind of mentality of sticking to the tradition that made the developers make the horrible decision of turning Maya into a silent protagonist, despite obviously having a personality from her battle quips and her dialogue choices. Tatsuya also had an established personality, even though the player could choose his name. I was perfectly fine with how Aigis was handled as the protagonist in The Answer, as well.

I don't need the protagonist to reflect the player as long as they maintain player agency regarding dialogue choices among other kinds.

It's completely different to that, because Maya is a pre-established character.

FluxWaveZ

It's completely different to that, because Maya is a pre-established character.

Not really. They said in an interview that I can't reference now that the reason they made her a silent protagonist was exactly because "the protagonist is meant to be the player." Even though she is a pre-established character, that's what made them go in that direction.

If we were to say that the restriction should only be lifted for pre-established characters becoming protagonists, though, I don't know if I even agree there. Again, Tatsuya had his own way of acting along with occasional voiced dialogue and a history. I loved it. I'm tired of blank slates and there's so much more that could be done in that area than just having the protagonist reflect the player because that's how it should be.

Dantis

Not really. They said in an interview that I can't reference now that the reason they made her a silent protagonist was exactly because "the protagonist is meant to be the player." Even though she is a pre-established character, that's what made them go in that direction.

If we were to say that the restriction should only be lifted for pre-established characters becoming protagonists, though, I don't know if I even agree there. Again, Tatsuya had his own way of acting along with occasional voiced dialogue and a history. I loved it. I'm tired of blank slates and there's so much more that could be done in that area than just having the protagonist reflect the player because that's how it should be.

Disagree. I don't want more to be done. Once you make the character 'a character', your view on him changes completely. They become likable or unlikable, and they do things that make you say "What's he doing that for?".

Case in point: Narukami in Arena. Hated him. Protagonist in P4? AMAZE!

The trick is to get MC and someone else to cast mirror-magic and have someone else on group healing duty.

I didn't do any mirror magic stuff, but I did have Teddie on healing duty. But that meant he couldn't adequately protect himself, so he kept dying and having to be revived. I went through a lot of beads and Macca leaves in that battle.

Jintor

The mirror magic is crucial because after a certain stage he'll start casting magic at you, but he's vulnerable to that magic type but resistant to every other type. So every time he attacks he'll eat 4x that damage and you won't take any.

Oh yeah yeah, I know that. I just beat him.

That wasn't the really tricky part, although it obviously killed me the first two or so times. The hard bits were those two turns where everyone ganged up on me and when he kept using Unblahblahblah Justice.

I'm still convinced I was underlevelled for that fight, because I was relying solely on Macca leaves to stay alive at that point. Which really sucks, because...you can buy anything with Macca!

Omikaru

I guess. Generally speaking though, I find directed RPG protagonists much more interesting than blank slates.

I think the Persona series has kinda captured the "blank slate" yet directed silent protagonist pretty well. They do have some personality to them despite being silent, and player agency is more carving out the finer details of that character rather than just being a blank slate Commander Shepard. You kind of have a personality already set, but that personality can branch here and there so that the player can own the experience. But in the end, you're still the same character at the end as you were at the beginning, just with your own quirks.

It's like... the protagonist in Persona 3 and Persona 4 are very different in more than just appearance, right? I felt P4's hero was kinda deadpan, but at the same time more intense and usually more proactive, whereas P3's hero was more aloof and in the background and kind of just went with the flow of things.

You can even see the contrast in P3P itself, between the male protagonist and female protagonist. FeMC was definitely more genki than the Male MC ever was...

FluxWaveZ

Case in point: Narukami in Arena. Hated him. Protagonist in P4? AMAZE!

But you liked the Narukami with personality in the anime! I felt like both P4As did a good job of depicting how I originally saw the P4 protagonist, but I understand what you're saying, even though I don't agree with it.

It's like... the protagonist in Persona 3 and Persona 4 are very different in more than just appearance, right? I felt P4's hero was kinda deadpan, but at the same time more intense and usually more proactive, whereas P3's hero was more aloof and in the background and kind of just went with the flow of things.

Yeah, that's how I saw it too, so the developers do indeed have a way of subtly conveying some form of personality through the protagonists' actions and dialogue.

I guess my hesitation for something like the continuing use of Japanese honorifics in the localization or another blank slate protagonist mostly comes from the fact that I fear I could be bored with Persona 5 if it's more of the same. They said they're going to try to change things up significantly, so I should just be excited but I can't help but think about the concept of a Persona 5 disappointing me because "I've seen all of this before."

I just got to the
3rd of December

DAMMMMNNNNNNNN

;_;

EDIT: Never mind. You guys had me there for a minute, you know.

EDIT 2: Wait, why did I skip 3 mon--ohh dear, looks like I'm going back a bit.

EDIT 3: Oh man, I must have really messed up. The impasse I thought charted the course of the rest of the story has the same outcome, making this ending more impromptu than Mass Effect 3. But hey, I guess I beat the game!...Suppose I'll review it soonish.

I just got to the
3rd of December

DAMMMMNNNNNNNN

;_;

EDIT: Never mind. You guys had me there for a minute, you know.

EDIT 2: Wait, why did I skip 3 mon--ohh dear, looks like I'm going back a bit.

EDIT 3: Oh man, I must have really messed up. The impasse I thought charted the course of the rest of the story has the same outcome, making this ending more impromptu than Mass Effect 3. But hey, I guess I beat the game!...Suppose I'll review it soonish.

Wait, you didn't get to do January, February?

Squire

Banned
Surviving the turn where everyone gets stolen really sucks. My guys were all god tier so they hit like sledgehammers.

Yeah, in general I think the concept of the silent MC is antiquated. The player plays a role in a role-playing game and I thinks it's not only okay, but more interesting if that role is very specific.

Actors don't always (if ever) play characters that are just like them because its boting. Players are in a similisr space in that games are an escape for us.

I really like Tidus in FFX because I feel like I can relate to him, but more so I just think he's an interesting character. I think that's what a main character should be first and foremost. When you go with a silent MC, you lose that.

I do have a bit more respect for them after P4G because I think Atlus writes the optional responses really well.

Omikaru

Nope. If you fast forward from December 3rd then you've got the bad ending. Go back and load an older save to at least get the good ending. Here's how you unlock it (all done on December 3rd):

Spoilers for Dec 3rd conversation:

- Wait a second here...
- We're missing something.
- Namatame's true feelings.
- Something's been bothering me.
- We're missing something...
- Calm the hell down!

I nicked this from some GFAQ's so it may not be 100% accurate, but you should be able to work it out.

On 5th December (don't read this unless you're really stuck, but it's so obvious)

The true criminal is Tohru Adachi

NOW I am. Seems like I made the right choices this time around.

I dunno. That felt a bit silly, that moment. Arbitrary.

I kind of agree, but it's pretty easy to roll back and unlock it provided you're saving regularly, and making multiple saves.

Squire

Banned
NOW I am. Seems like I made the right choices this time around.

I dunno. That felt a bit silly, that moment. Arbitrary.

It absolutely is. I don't mind it, but the problem with that scene is there are no others in that game that carry the same sort of Mass Effect-like weight so when that one comes, it blind-sides you.

Man, I wish that one end scene from the Anime
that was a groundhog day effect prior to Yu facing his Shadow and reliving that perfect "fellowship" moment at the Dojima house
was in.

Sophia

I've never unlocked it, so I did not know that. So you can't even start NG+ from a bad ending?

Not in vanilla P4; I'm not sure about Golden. There are four bad endings in Golden (
Accuse Namatame of the murders, Accuse Namatame of the murders and kill him, don't figure out the real killer, do figure out the real killer but side with them
) and none of them let you save once you get them.

Noi

You can start a NG+ from Bad Ends in Golden. The accomplice ending is even a way to max Hunger earlier and get that persona unlock item earlier.

Meia

Surviving the turn where everyone gets stolen really sucks. My guys were all god tier so they hit like sledgehammers.

If you have your love interest with you in the battle, she flat out will not attack you. You get a message to pop up on top of the screen saying something like "Chie is hesitating..." and she'll lose a turn. That's actually something I had questioned playing vanilla, but since it also happened in Golden I figured it was a feature, and I love when RPGs do that. Of course, this only matters for three of the cast, but I always loved that feature all the same. It's my one wish-list item for Persona 5: Slinks(if they exist) to not exist in a bubble anymore. Though then again moments like that fight make it all the more special when they pop up I suppose...

Also hi GAF and PersonaGAF, first post ever, so might as well lop a question here too. To someone who's first experience with persona was playing persona 3(even if I've had persona 2 for the psx for years apparently), is there any advice for the earlier persona games? I had a groove going at the beginning of persona 1 then I fought toilet demons that just spammed Mudoon and annihilated me. -_-;

cjkeats

I'd buy that Raidou figure over almost any Persona figure(except a good Rise one.)
i already have a Chie and broken Aigis
That's one hell of a figure.

That's a really cool figure.

And I tried to do the end deciding conversation in Persona 4 without help and I managed to screw it up the first time :( Looking back I realize that I really was dumb about it, lol.

Jintor

If you have your love interest with you in the battle, she flat out will not attack you. You get a message to pop up on top of the screen saying something like "Chie is hesitating..." and she'll lose a turn. That's actually something I had questioned playing vanilla, but since it also happened in Golden I figured it was a feature, and I love when RPGs do that. Of course, this only matters for three of the cast, but I always loved that feature all the same. It's my one wish-list item for Persona 5: Slinks(if they exist) to not exist in a bubble anymore. Though then again moments like that fight make it all the more special when they pop up I suppose...

Damn, I was dating Rise. Actually, if that scene is based on s.link hierachy that would be really cool - pretty sure Yosuke and Chie didn't attack me there, but I hadn't max'd Yukiko at that point so I got all burned...

They need to have an official name for the MC in Persona 5. No choose-your-own-name garbage. You'd think after voice acting got big, they'd not want to go through these weird hoops to not address the MC by name. Just give him/her a name and be done with it.

Levito

Banned
I'd actually prefer it if the MC stayed a mute Gordon Freeman-esq character. The MC's in these games always feel like they're designed to be the link between the player and the game world rather than an actual character.

If they gave the P5 character a voice and fleshed them out that'd be fine too though.

Oh, I don't mean giving him lines or anything - but maybe they should, who knows. I mean, giving him a name so the other characters don't have to say "you/he/she" etc. or have no voice-over when they say your name. It's just ghetto.

cjkeats

I'm indifferent to it. I'd prefer to name him/her myself, but if they want to give him/her a personality that's okay too. Worked in Fire Emblem, but that never really had full voice acting either.

Daimaou

I like naming my character, but I don't think an official name would bother me too much. Plus, it's not like you typically get to decide your name in real life.

Squire

Banned
I'd actually prefer it if the MC stayed a mute Gordon Freeman-esq character. The MC's in these games always feel like they're designed to be the link between the player and the game world rather than an actual character.

If they gave the P5 character a voice and fleshed them out that'd be fine too though.

For Persona I would prefer they stick with a silent MC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom