• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
Just imagine if they decided to fully voice the P5 MC and they chose someone that didn't fit at all, like the guy that does Kratos.

"SEEEEEEEEEEEENNNPPAAAI!!!! You will notice the FUCK out of me."

FluxWaveZ

Just imagine if they decided to fully voice the P5 MC and they chose someone that didn't fit at all, like the guy that does Kratos.

"SEEEEEEEEEEEENNNPPAAAI!!!! You will notice the FUCK out of me."

Johnny Yong Bosch was a good choice for Yu. His voice doesn't necessarily stand out, but it's plain and fits Yu's character (still gotta watch that anime dub, so mostly what I thought from P4Arena).

Now Yuri Lowenthal... if there's ever an English dub of Persona 3 The Movie, not too sure how that would go.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Johnny Yong Bosch was a good choice for Yu. His voice doesn't necessarily stand out, but it's plain and fits Yu's character (still gotta watch that anime dub, so mostly what I thought from P4Arena).

Now Yuri Lowenthal... if there's ever an English dub of Persona 3 The Movie, not too sure how that would go.

Something like this

Keep my MCs silent and lemme name him, kthxbye.

Daimaou

JYB does a good job as Yu in the anime dub. The problem is that he actually had to change the voice he uses for Adachi to compensate.

As for Yuri Lowenthal, I think a lot of it depends on how they choose to characterize MC. If they go the laid back and aloof route, I think he'd do fine. He'd probably also have to tweak Ryoji some, though.

Moaradin

I just finished Persona 4 last week, and the anime a couple days ago. Definitely made me a fan of the series. Kinda wish I started with Persona 3 though, cause now I'm missing the controlled party members that P4 had.

As for the silent vs. voiced protagonist, I had no problem with the main character in the game not speaking, but JYB did a really good job in the anime. I actually preferred the anime Yu over the game protagonist.

I just finished Persona 4 last week, and the anime a couple days ago. Definitely made me a fan of the series. Kinda wish I started with Persona 3 though, cause now I'm missing the controlled party members that P4 had.

As for the silent vs. voiced protagonist, I had no problem with the main character in the game not speaking, but JYB did a really good job in the anime. I actually preferred the anime Yu over the game protagonist.

It's ok about that first part man, P3 > P4 anyways.

FluxWaveZ

It'd be fine. It's not like he'd play P3 MC the way he plays Yosuke.

Yeah, that's what I'd hope, anyways. Characters like Tobias, Astaroth, Yosuke and maybe Ryoji are what make me wonder, but it didn't sound off in the actual game so I think I'd be good with it.

Moaradin

The story wasn't nearly as important as the characters for me. It was more of a way to further my relationships with everyone more than anything.

FluxWaveZ

If he did, I hope he would call everyone Bro.

Hm, now that I think about it, JYB, Troy Baker, Yuri Lowenthal, Laura Bailey, Erin Fitzgerald, Karen Strassman, Liam O' Brien, Tara Platt or any other well known voice actor that voiced a main character in the series won't be able to voice any of the main cast in Persona 5 unless it's for a cameo/return appearance or if they alter the voice exceptionally well (like Mitsuru to Elizabeth or Aigis to Nanako), lest they make things super distracting.

This could potentially lead to a slew of lesser known but good English voice actors we've never heard of before, like the mysterious person who voiced Naoto.

Hahahahaha.

They both have terrible stories. P4's is mildly less terrible until the true ending. P3's is terrible until the true ending.

ಠ_ಠ No.

The story wasn't nearly as important as the characters for me. It was more of a way to further my relationships with everyone more than anything.

I preferred the characters in P2 more than in P4, especially coming from Persona 1, but the lack of Social Links and other stuff might not make you share the same opinion.

Sophia

Hahahahaha.

They both have terrible stories. P4's is mildly less terrible until the true ending. P3's is terrible until the true ending.

I'm marking this post, and when I get home, I'm going to teeear you apart for suggesting anything bad about Persona 3's story. ;_;

The plot might be better in P3, but the characters are a lot more well realized and fleshed out in P4 IMO.
You're going to have to explain this one to me.
Hahahahaha.

Tried to find a reason to disagree with this post but couldn't. The ending is my favorite thing about P3 though so I agree with that too. I'm not sure if I think the stories are terrible though. In comparison to P2 they might be(but there isn't that many out there that could compete with P2 in that category), but in comparison to other JRPGs? Nah.

Jintor

I agree with Dantis re P3's story. From a pacing standpoint it's fucking allll overrrrrr the shoooooooop. Additionally, character development is focused around the characters themselves, acting externally to the MC [possible exception in P3P] which is all well and good from an anime perspective but less so from a game perspective.

P4's is relatively simple, but it ties together very well for the most part and the pacing is far, far better [although Golden throws it off somewhat]

Jintor

I liked that P4's was relatively low-key (until near the ending)

At some point in the Endurance Run Jeff realises that only two people have actually been killed and he's kind of stunned for a while

Sophia

I agree with Dantis re P3's story. From a pacing standpoint it's fucking allll overrrrrr the shoooooooop. Additionally, character development is focused around the characters themselves, acting externally to the MC [possible exception in P3P] which is all well and good from an anime perspective but less so from a game perspective.

P4's is relatively simple, but it ties together very well for the most part and the pacing is far, far better [although Golden throws it off somewhat]

The plot and pacing of Persona 3 has some issues, and I've voiced my complaint on this before. However I feel the overall story in Persona 3 is far better.

From an anime perspective, Persona 4 actually fits the style better, what with the low-key tone of the murders and all.

TWILT

Banned
If Persona 3/4's stories can be considered terrible, there truly aren't any good video game stories.

I thought Persona 4 was better than 3 in every way, including story and characters.

Jintor

The plot and pacing of Persona 3 has some issues, and I've voiced my complaint on this before. However I feel the overall story in Persona 3 is far better.

I think the ending is fantastic, I just don't think the game really earns it, it just kind of assumes it has at some point and then bumrushes onwards to the truly badass finale.

Dantis

I'm marking this post, and when I get home, I'm going to teeear you apart for suggesting anything bad about Persona 3's story. ;_;

Do you actually think it's a good plot? I love, love, love the ending, but the plot is really fucking weird and a lot of it makes absolutely no sense.

Squire

Banned
Do you actually think it's a good plot? I love, love, love the ending, but the plot is really fucking weird and a lot of it makes absolutely no sense.

Sounds like Evangelion.

I think, depending on how attached you've become to P4's cast, P5 won't be able to top it. That FFVII effect kicks in again!

Tamanon

Banned
I liked that in Persona 3, your other characters actually interacted with other people without you being involved, whether it's Shinji and Ken or Junpei and Chidori.

It also seems different for both casts since the P4 characters knock out their personal demons early on, whereas the P3 ones deal with them for most of the game.

Dantis

Sounds like Evangelion.

I think, depending on how attached you've become to P4's cast, P5 won't be able to top it. That FFVII effect kicks in again!

I think it is very possible that they won't top P4's cast.

I think that's fine though, because like I've said before, they work so well as a group that no one stands out to me. In P3, Yukari and Junpei were emphasized in their greatness by turds like Ken and Fuuka.

For being so passionate about the Persona games, you sure do seem to hate them a lot.

If it makes you feel better, I don't hate the plots to either game. The only part that I dislike is the True Ending in P4. Everything else I enjoy, mostly to a large extent.

But I know that the plot itself isn't great.

Levito

Banned
Yeah I'm not sure why someone would play single player 70-100+ hour RPGs that are extremely cutscene/story heavy if you thought they were terrible. :p

You're going to have to explain this one to me.

Admittedly it has been a very long time since I've played P3, so just forget I said it. Contrasting two is pretty hard when I haven't played P3 since 2008.

I liked that in Persona 3, your other characters actually interacted with other people without you being involved, whether it's Shinji and Ken or Junpei and Chidori.

It also seems different for both casts since the P4 characters knock out their personal demons early on, whereas the P3 ones deal with them for most of the game.

Yeah, P4 had too much hero-worship u__u

Jintor

I think the main problem was no s.linking with half your party in P3 vanilla. That automatically cut off a shitload of character development that wasn't made up until P3P. I also think the attitude of the P3 party was a lot more like 'colleagues' than 'friends' up until late-year, which proved less enjoyable.

I like it and I don't like it. Like I said, it's fucking fantastic from a viewer standpoint - I think the Junpei/Chidori thing blows anything the P4 guys experienced out of the water and basically 180'd me on his entire character. But from a player standpoint, knowing it would have happened no matter what I did [with the exception of the flowers] feels somewhat unsatisfying.

FluxWaveZ

I think the main problem was no s.linking with half your party in P3 vanilla. That automatically cut off a shitload of character development that wasn't made up until P3P. I also think the attitude of the P3 party was a lot more like 'colleagues' than 'friends' up until late-year, which proved less enjoyable.

I liked that. In P2:EP, Baofu and Katsuya share an actively antagonistic relationship, and I like that too. I don't need the characters to be friends for them to be likable.

I also didn't mind no S. Links with members of the party specifically because of their group dynamic.

I don't think you need s.linking for character development.

Dantis

I liked that. In P2:EP, Baofu and Katsuya share an actively antagonistic relationship, and I like that too. I don't need the characters to be friends for them to be likable.

I also didn't mind no S. Links with members of the party specifically because of their group dynamic.

I agree with all of this except for one thing: Junpei should have an S Link. Seriously. That makes no sense in any context.

cjkeats

For being so passionate about the Persona games, you sure do seem to hate them a lot.
Dantised'

I liked that P4's was relatively low-key (until near the ending)

At some point in the Endurance Run Jeff realises that only two people have actually been killed and he's kind of stunned for a while

I remember that. Got they had some moments in that run.

I think how much one liked Persona 3's characters can be different depending what version they played. I only played P3P as the lady and I found the cast almost as likeable as P4. Except Ken. Fuck that kid. I mean, shorts with your uniform all the time? Really?

Jintor

I felt it removed a lot of the personal element to them. You weren't hanging out because you felt like hanging out, you only ever saw the characters in a work-related context.

Thinking about it, though, this might just be me not liking the group dynamic they had :/

FluxWaveZ

I agree with all of this except for one thing: Junpei should have an S Link. Seriously. That makes no sense in any context.

True. Aside from being a jealous jerk to the protagonist at the beginning of the game, he should have had the role that Kenji had from the start.

Levito

Banned
Many of the best writers in history hate plot, Steve King infamously said plot just gets in the way and isn't needed. Which is weird because a lot of his novels contain really elaborate lore/plot.

Persona games are fucking fantastic because they always put their characters before the plot. Story is supposed to be the journey of characters, and how the grow/change. Many game developers forget that, or they don't know how to write a good character. That's why you get all these videogames with amazingly detailed and rich universes, but the characters are all laughable because they're entirely flat(See all modern Blizzard games for the best example of this).

I felt it removed a lot of the personal element to them. You weren't hanging out because you felt like hanging out, you only ever saw the characters in a work-related context.

Thinking about it, though, this might just be me not liking the group dynamic they had :/

That's what I liked about P3. They had their own lives and shit before you show up. Some of them didn't even like you. And they'd be like "Fuck Tartarus, I'm out" some nights and you couldn't do shit.

Meanwhile in P4 they'd call your phone all the time begging to go into the TV.

Jintor

I do think they went a little overboard making Yu the focal point of every character's lives in P4 and didn't show your party interacting amongst themselves often enough. Seeing them hanging out without you when you went to Junes with the Dojimas in Golden was pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom