• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
I think the main problem was no s.linking with half your party in P3 vanilla. That automatically cut off a shitload of character development that wasn't made up until P3P. I also think the attitude of the P3 party was a lot more like 'colleagues' than 'friends' up until late-year, which proved less enjoyable.

I like it and I don't like it. Like I said, it's fucking fantastic from a viewer standpoint - I think the Junpei/Chidori thing blows anything the P4 guys experienced out of the water and basically 180'd me on his entire character. But from a player standpoint, knowing it would have happened no matter what I did [with the exception of the flowers] feels somewhat unsatisfying.

I can understand why people enjoy that dynamic, but I do think it's a little counterintuitive to S. Links as a system. I enjoy side characters when done well, but in any RPG which characters do you want to interact with more than your party? Probably few to none. They basically didn't get S. Links right their first time implementing them.

I don't think you need s.linking for character development.

You don't, which is how the many games with good stories get by, but the very point of S. Links is character development. If you're gonna develop your characters outside of that completely than you may as well not waste time implementing it and just tell a straightforward story with a standard stat system.

Levito

Banned
You don't need s.linking for character development, but it's a pretty brilliant way of weaving narrative into actual gameplay mechanics. It's adapting something for the videogame medium rather than just having everything play out in a cutscene, pretty brilliant IMO.

Junpei would be a lot better is he wasn't voice by Vic Mignogna.

FluxWaveZ

Disagree, she's not even the best woman in P2.

You're wrong. Also, who is? Saeko? Knowing that Persona 2's Tamaki was the protagonist in SMT: if... makes me want to play that.

Oh wait, Ulala's an acceptable answer. She also seems like a better boxer than Akihiko.

Dantis

I just realised, how is it that we've never ranked the soundtracks? For me, it's

P3P > P3 = P4 > P3FES > P2IS(P) > P1P > P4A > P4G > P2EP > P1

Jintor

The realest of real talk.

He has a better arc [mainly because of Chidori], but it still pisses me off that he has like two months in P3 after the Lover's mission where he's pissed off at MC and then gets over it himself for no apparent reason [relative to MC]. Wasted opportunity.

Junpei's voice is dead on, personally. Only Fuuka and... the Chairman...? really stood out to me in P3 as being that bad.

Mitsuuru's VA though, good god. Awoooooooo.

For me, I like everyone in Persona 4, minus Naoto, but dislike in Persona 3 Ken, and all the upperclassmen; Mitsuru, Akihiko, Akihiko's friend... Really, what I like about Persona 4 is they captured the spirit between the main character, Yukari, and Junpei, and extended it to the entire cast, which is a huge accomplishment. I guess I like the idea of the schism between the upper and lower grades in P3, but it just ended up leading to boring or mean characters for me.

Daimaou

You're wrong. Also, who is? Saeko? Knowing that Persona 2's Tamaki was the protagonist in SMT: if... makes me want to play that.

Oh wait, Ulala's an acceptable answer. She also seems like a better boxer than Akihiko.

I like Lisa, Ulala, Yukino, and Elly all more than Maya. She's too energetic for my taste. Also, she spends half of the time as a silent protagonist.

Omikaru

For me, I like everyone in Persona 4, minus Naoto, but dislike in Persona 3 Ken, and all the upperclassmen; Mitsuru, Akihiko, Akihiko's friend... Really, what I like about Persona 4 is they captured the spirit between the main character, Yukari, and Junpei, and extended it to the entire cast, which is a huge accomplishment. I guess I like the idea of the schism between the upper and lower grades in P3, but it just ended up leading to boring or mean characters for me.

I can kind of agree with that assessment, though I quite like Naoto too. But I do think the MC, Yukari and Junpei was a great trio which scaled up well to the whole Investigation Team in P4.

Tatsuya Suou, Lisa Silverman, Eikichi Mishina, Jun Kurosu/Kashihara, Yukino Mayuzumi, Maya Amano, Katsuya Suou, Ulala Serizawa, and Baofu laugh at all you people and don't tip very high after dining at your restaurants!

FluxWaveZ

Only 7 hours into EP, so that might change, but after getting over the craziness of
Jun being the Joker and joining your party
in IS, he's just the most boring member of the
Masquerade
and his significant attachment to Tatsuya didn't help things.

Sophia

Wow this thread grew in the hour and a half since my post.

Do you actually think it's a good plot? I love, love, love the ending, but the plot is really fucking weird and a lot of it makes absolutely no sense.

Sounds like Evangelion.

I think, depending on how attached you've become to P4's cast, P5 won't be able to top it. That FFVII effect kicks in again!

Yeah it does have a lot of similarities to Evangelion, including sharing cast members, and I think the overall story to Persona 3 is fantastic. Easily above Persona 4 in this regard. However it's individual plot events are a bit weak as a result of it's development. In terms of plot events, Persona 4 wins out.

Robots > Humans

This is fact.

Bropei > Brosuke.

I liked Junpei's arc a lot more.

Junpei's character development is second only to Aigis in terms of amazement. Watching him be the most realistic member of the party in The Answer is seriously awesome.

Jintor

The Answer definitely made me feel Junpei's payoff (even if he didn't really mention Chidori much... )

In the Shadow Operatives pic in P4A, there's a silhouette of a dude with a backwards baseball cap on...

Squire

Banned
You don't need s.linking for character development, but it's a pretty brilliant way of weaving narrative into actual gameplay mechanics. It's adapting something for the videogame medium rather than just having everything play out in a cutscene, pretty brilliant IMO.

This is is exactly. I like Vic Mignogna a lot though. Maybe a bit miscast as Jun though.

Yeah it does have a lot of similarities to Evangelion, including sharing cast members, and I think the overall story to Persona 3 is fantastic. Easily above Persona 4 in this regard. However it's individual plot events are a bit weak as a result of it's development. In terms of plot events, Persona 4 wins out.

Wait, there are EVA voice actors in P3? Who?

Everyone who likes P3,should watch Evangelion and vice versa.

Meia

For what it's worth, before I even knew anything about this series, my first experience was with Persona 3, and I just flat out stopped after the first full moon with Aigis I think. Partially because I found out about Fes coming soon, but even then it was a struggle to pick it up. That game is paced so damn weird. Even Tartarus is messy the last few months, for no discernible reason. While I'm happy that the character's individual stories were told via the narrative(for the most part), they never really felt much like friends to me, just a group coming together.

Then persona 4 happened and fixed all the problems I had with 3. A murder mystery that unravels over time was a better vehicle for a year round cycle probably, though maybe 3 just could have been paced better(lot of "fight 2 shadows this full moon!" sequences), with a really front and back loaded story.

The only thing I'm not a fan of with arena(if we want to look at this as any kind of canon) is that because the character growth of 3 was built into the story, there's no doubt they have their newest personas. Since 4 was a choice, they went with no one having one, which is odd, and going to be odder if they do more with the cast moving forward. Then again, why the whole Labrys incident couldn't have been apart of Golden instead of Marie I'll never know...

And Yosuke > Junpei. Hated that jealous streak he had, though I guess it made for some growth.

Sophia

Wait, there are EVA voice actors in P3? Who?

Everyone who likes P3,should watch Evangelion and vice versa.

In Japanese. Off the top of my head.

Protagonist is Kaworu (Akira Ishida)
Aigis is Mari (Maaya Sakamoto)
Ken is Shinji (Megumi Ogata)
Chidori/Elizabeth is a character in Rebuild 3.0 (Miyuki Sawashiro)

And Yosuke > Junpei. Hated that jealous streak he had, though I guess it made for some growth.

That streak doesn't even last that long. It's a full moon or two at best. Less if you're playing the female protagonist because Mitsuru gets absolutely vicious with Junpei about it. :p

For what it's worth, before I even knew anything about this series, my first experience was with Persona 3, and I just flat out stopped after the first full moon with Aigis I think. Partially because I found out about Fes coming soon, but even then it was a struggle to pick it up. That game is paced so damn weird. Even Tartarus is messy the last few months, for no discernible reason. While I'm happy that the character's individual stories were told via the narrative(for the most part), they never really felt much like friends to me, just a group coming together.

Then persona 4 happened and fixed all the problems I had with 3. A murder mystery that unravels over time was a better vehicle for a year round cycle probably, though maybe 3 just could have been paced better(lot of "fight 2 shadows this full moon!" sequences), with a really front and back loaded story.

The only thing I'm not a fan of with arena(if we want to look at this as any kind of canon) is that because the character growth of 3 was built into the story, there's no doubt they have their newest personas. Since 4 was a choice, they went with no one having one, which is odd, and going to be odder if they do more with the cast moving forward. Then again, why the whole Labrys incident couldn't have been apart of Golden instead of Marie I'll never know...

The only reason they went with the original Personae in Arena was simply because the original Personae are apparently more iconic. Odd, huh?

Squire

Banned
In Japanese. Off the top of my head.

Protagonist is Kaworu (Akira Ishida)
Aigis is Mari (Maaya Sakamoto)
Ken is Shinji (Megumi Ogata)
Chidori/Elizabeth is a character in Rebuild 3.0 (Miyuki Sawashiro)

That sounds perfect. Maaya's voice is great. I still haven't seen any of Rebuild :/

Meia

Well, I hated most of the designs of the third tier ones, so no argument from me about that. I do like most of the first tiers better than the second, so maybe there is some merit to that.

And yeah, loved Junpei more in 3 portable because of that. Not many added lines, but the lines that were changed/added were great going through it again. Still crack up when Aigis asks where she can leave the live ammo if you say it's ok to share a room with her. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom