• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Vic is a very controversial figure in the voice actor community. Some like him some hate him.

Personally I love his voice work but I don't care for the guy himself.

Squire

Banned
Yeah didn't mean to be a downer, sorry. :(

Don't swear it!

Vic is a very controversial figure in the voice actor community. Some like him some hate him.

With what I've learned today, I'd say the same.

You can take solace in the fact that Laura Bailey and Troy Baker are legitimately awesome.

Definitely!

Levito

Banned

Yup, it doesn't take away from Vic's actual performances, but it is unfortunate to find out that someone you respected is a bigot.

Most voice actors are really awesome people though, are any of you familiar with Scott McNeil? I met him at a con a few years ago and he was one of the nicest and most down to earth people I've ever met. He's got an immense body of work, but the thing I knew him best from was that old CGI Transformers Beast Wars cartoon from the 90's, he voiced Dinobot, Rattrap, and Silverbolt.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yup, it doesn't take away from Vic's actual performances, but it is unfortunate to find out that someone you respected is a bigot.

Most voice actors are really awesome people though, are any of you familiar with Scott McNeil? I met him at a con a few years ago and he was one of the nicest and most down to earth people I've ever met. He's got an immense body of work, but the thing I knew him best from was that old CGI Transformers Beast Wars cartoon from the 90's, he voiced Dinobot, Rattap, and Silverbolt.

Yes, he was Piccolo in DBZ. One of my gateway animu, along with Sailor Moon way back in the day.

Noi

I kind of want to hear Steve Blum in a Persona game, lol

Closest we've gotten.

dds-gale.jpg

Paches

P2:EP is amazing so far. Just made it in to the Sanitarium. The music in this game is so haunting/chilling. Also I love the voice acting and slight echo during the battles.

FluxWaveZ

P2:EP is amazing so far. Just made it in to the Sanitarium. The music in this game is so haunting/chilling. Also I love the voice acting and slight echo during the battles.

Yep. Thought I might especially miss out on the music aspect from not being able to play the PSP version, but it's still awesome. Voice acting's okay, but Maya's different voice is a bit weird. The way she says "It's whoop-ass time!" just isn't the same.

Levito

Banned
Did you all know that when Chie says "Don't think, feel." that she's quoting Bruce Lee? Seriously it dawned on me while chatting on twitter that she's quoting a line from Enter The Dragon:

"Don't think, feel....it is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory!"

How did I not notice that till now...

Did you all know that when Chie says "Don't think, feel." that she's quoting Bruce Lee? Seriously it dawned on me while chatting on twitter that she's quoting a line from Enter The Dragon:

"Don't think, feel....it is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory!"

Bro, bro, she's not quoting Bruce Lee, she's quoting Blue Three ;)

Dantis

So apparently people think DOA5 is coming to US PS Plus.

Which means that you all get to bask in the glory of Lotus Juice rapping about ninjas.

Squire

Banned
Not that I dislike Jennifer Hale, but I'm just not that into FemShep

Samus Aran, Naomi Hunter, Jean Grey; Jen Hale is much more than just FemShep. She has quite the rap sheet.

So apparently people think DOA5 is coming to US PS Plus.

Which means that you all get to bask in the glory of Lotus Juice rapping about ninjas.

LJ is awful in that. If they wanna bring in Meguro to get him up to snuff then by all means!

Speaking of fighters, hey guys: Skullgirls is pretty cool. You guys should play that game.

You know, I thought I read somewhere that Jennifer Hale was Tira from Soul Calibur. If that was actually true, it'd completely destroy any claims of Hale being a one-trick pony.

I generally like her, but her role in Star Wars Kinect was completely phoned in; she really was just playing Shepard. It was as if the game was a ME/SW crossover, and I'm sure there are many brilliant jokes you could make from that.

Speaking of fighters, hey guys: Skullgirls is pretty cool. You guys should play that game.

I bought it when it came out, and basically reaffirmed that fighters are not my bag, at least in terms of how well I can play. Good game, though.

Squire

Banned
You know, I thought I read somewhere that Jennifer Hale was Tira from Soul Calibur. If that was actually true, it'd completely destroy any claims of Hale being a one-trick pony.

I generally like her, but her role in Star Wars Kinect was completely phoned in; she really was just playing Shepard. It was as if the game was a ME/SW crossover, and I'm sure there are many brilliant jokes you could make from that.

Wikipedia says that's her. I believe it, too. People need to stop calling VAs one-trick ponies in general. Most of them do have range, but it's put on display much more so in cartoons. Especially if they're for kids.

Like people say Nolan North has the Drake voice? North has a ton of voices, but he goes to record games and people request that one specifically. *shrug*

As far as SWK: Everyone involved in that phoned in their part. Then again...

bxo2X2z.jpg

JH has earned her SW cred and then some.

I bought it when it came out, and basically reaffirmed that fighters are not my bag, at least in terms of how well I can play. Good game, though.

For me it's just the six-button key. It's too much. P4 Arena became my favorite 2D fighter instantly. It simplifies the interaction, but maintains the strategy.

Meia

Yep, it's also why Tomoe looks the way it does: Bruce Lee was a big influence on her life, which is cool.

I'll also say it: This line delivered by the new VA is better than the old delivery. Then again, I also liked her in arena, moreso in the anime, but found her delivery very odd in Golden overall. Wonder why it worked out that way?

VAs though, some of their range astound me. It was jaw dropping finding out Nolan North did the Penguin from Arkham City after hearing years of Nathan Drake. Guy is amazing.

Omikaru

VAs though, some of their range astound me. It was jaw dropping finding out Nolan North did the Penguin from Arkham City after hearing years of Nathan Drake. Guy is amazing.

Uh huh. He also did the "Spaaaaaaace!" defective personality core from Portal 2.

I like North; he's a good actor. But he's only as good as the direction is, and a lot of directors just want Nathan Drake, which is why I feel people think his voice takes them out of the experience. I recently played Spec Ops: The Line, and I didn't even notice the protagonist was him after 10 minutes or so, because he owned the role so well.

I've never even heard of Demonic Judgement.

I got them both in a row after the fusion forecast said skill change in the final day of the game

They both are like 100% chance of reducing half the targets health if the don't null hama for God's and Mudo for Demonic (Called Hell's Judgement in P4 Original)

Weird that these seem to be so rare, I recognize God's Judgement and one of the last bosses in the game's attacks

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

One of her costumes in P4G is the jumpsuit from Game of Death.

Well, I beat the game. Didn't quite get the true ending, though. I think I know what I did wrong, but just to make sure, I had to
get Marie's Social Link to maximum before beating Adachi
, right?

I might go back and do it later, but I've had enough of the game for now. I'll review it tomorrow. It'll probably be bigger than my usual ones, so look out for that.

Well, I beat the game. Didn't quite get the true ending, though. I think I know what I did wrong, but just to make sure, I had to
, right?

I might go back and do it later, but I've had enough of the game for now. I'll review it tomorrow. It'll probably be bigger than my usual ones, so look out for that.

Well, your guess is close,
but you actually need to max it out before January 2nd if I remember correctly, then visit the Velvet room on that day.

Omikaru

, right?

That's for the epilogue, which is exclusive to P4 Golden. The true ending is slightly different from that, and is also in the PS2 version. You unlock it on your last day. Look here: http://persona4.wikidot.com/march

If you didn't unlock that you got the Normal ending. If you unlocked and beat the True ending then you also unlock the Epilogue if you completed Marie's SL before January 2nd and did her bonus dungeon.

but you actually need to max it out before January 2nd if I remember correctly, then visit the Velvet room on that day.

Okay, I'll do that. Later, though. Great game, but it took a lot out of me. It reminded me why I don't do JRPGs that often any more. It might have been so great that I'll try out some more, though.

I want to play Final Fantasy XIII. I want to play this generation's most divisive RPG and GAF's favourite punching bag. That is, after I finish Other M, GAF's second favourite punching bag. And I want to wait until I can make myself an LTTP thread, because I have a lot of things to say on that game.

Other than that, I might go back and do Persona 3.
And that Devil May Cry spinoff.

That's for the epilogue, which is exclusive to P4 Golden. The true ending is slightly different from that, and is also in the PS2 version. You unlock it on your last day. Look here: http://persona4.wikidot.com/march

If you didn't unlock that you got the Normal ending. If you unlocked and beat the True ending then you also unlock the Epilogue if you completed Marie's SL before January 2nd and did her bonus dungeon.

...I never would have guessed that. I felt like I understood the game's systems up to that point and it still managed to catch me off-guard one more time.

Damn. This game was something else. The pacing was a bit off, so I don't know if I can yet give it a 10, but wow.

Dantis

As an aside, I feel it's best to not get the epilogue on your first run through. I feel like an awful lot of the impact of the original ending is removed from it.

As an aside, I feel it's best to not get the epilogue on your first run through. I feel like an awful lot of the impact of the original ending is removed from it.

Haven't gotten it yet, but results are mixed there depending on who, some find it sucks the air out of the ending, some find it adds to it and is incredibly fulfilling.

Omikaru

Wholeheartedly agree. It's there for fans who have beaten the game once already. I certainly wouldn't want it on my first experience of the ending.

...I never would have guessed that. I felt like I understood the game's systems up to that point and it still managed to catch me off-guard one more time.

Damn. This game was something else. The pacing was a bit off, so I don't know if I can yet give it a 10, but wow.
The normal ending is satisfactory enough to get away with being seen as the proper ending, but there's more. If you didn't unlock the True ending, you have a whole new dungeon to play. I recommend rolling back and unlocking it if you can, since as Dantis and I said above, the epilogue is really only good for repeat plays. There's something that feels definite, wholesome, complete and satisfactory about the true ending that you don't get with the epilogue.

Dantis

Haven't gotten it yet, but results are mixed there depending on who, some find it sucks the air out of the ending, some find it adds to it and is incredibly fulfilling.

I loved the epilogue itself. Probably my favourite addition to the whole game. I just feel like it deflates the ending for first timers.

Wholeheartedly agree. It's there for fans who have beaten the game already. I certainly wouldn't want it on my first experience of the ending.

High five, buddy!

The normal ending is satisfactory enough to get away with being seen as the proper ending

Upon reflection, this is absolutely correct. The final few months may not have held much action, but the building melancholy in having to leave was tense in itself, and the background music when roaming the town in the winter was perfect.

Also, I mistakenly ended up with two girlfriends, proving that I really don't know much about love. More's the pity. Anyway, this really came back to bite me come Valentine's Day. I didn't know how they could approach this scenario without damaging the relationship system, but somehow they nailed it, and while I don't know much about love, it was a pretty effective lesson all the same.

Damn, this game was really good. I'm pretty much just sitting here and thinking about it.

Sophia

His original guess was right, actually.
Max Marie's Social Link before beating Adachi and Ameno-sagiri. Once you beat them, it automatically jumps ahead to January 2nd and you won't get a chance to max it out. It's what screwed me on maxing it the first time.

Just so we're clear on the endings, here's all of them with the conditions.

BIG SPOILERS YO:
Worst Ending - Kill Namatame on December 3rd.
Bad Ending - Don't kill Namatame on December 3rd, but convince yourself he's the murderer.
Neutral Ending - Don't correctly guess the actual murderer on December 5th.
Accomplice Ending - Correctly identify the murderer, Adachi, but protect him.
Good Ending - Correctly identify the murderer and defeat Ameno-sagiri before the end of the year.
Good Ending + Hollow Forest - Meet all the requirements for the good ending, but also max Marie's Social Link before defeating Ameno-sagiri and complete the Hollow Forest dungeon.
True Ending - Correctly identify the murderer, defeat Ameno-sagiri, and then identify the true mastermind behind the story's events: Izanami.
True Ending + Epilogue. - Meet all the requirements for the true ending, but also max Marie's Social Link before defeating Ameno-sagiri and complete the Hollow Forest dungeon.

There's a few more minor variants of the same endings as well, such as romancing Marie, or selecting different options in the Accomplice ending, but as these are pretty minor I didn't add them to the list. The Accomplice Ending, Hollow Forest, and the Epilogue only occur in Persona 4: The Golden.

Meia

I don't think the epilogue detracted much from the original ending, other than my only reaction being "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU GOING ON THAT TRAIN GO BACK GO BACK GO BACK!" :p

Yes, they're late high school students, so even ignoring arena and golden they'd probably get together again anyway(provided Rise's and Naoto's work allows) for college or something else, but still that depressed me. Not as much as P3's, but still.

I don't know. Didn't anyone else have the same thought that I did, that if I moved to another place for a year, went through THAT, made those types of friends/relationships, good luck getting me on a train back, even if I could just hop on a train every few months to revisit again anyway?

Also, one complaint about the epilogue is that minus Marie, there's nothing there if you had any romantic involvement with anyone, which was just odd. Then again, there's nothing when you say goodbye in March with at least Chie, though I thought everyone used to in vanilla(remember at least Yukiko having a blushing session in her private goodbye)? Don't get me wrong, I didn't necessarily mind it, it just kind of strikes me as lazy, especially after they made a big deal about the valentine event with characters actually referencing relationships with each other. "One size fits all" stories maybe something I'm just outgrowing I guess in games that give you choices naturally.

Daimaou

I don't think the epilogue detracted much from the original ending, other than my only reaction being "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU GOING ON THAT TRAIN GO BACK GO BACK GO BACK!" :p

Yes, they're late high school students, so even ignoring arena and golden they'd probably get together again anyway(provided Rise's and Naoto's work allows) for college or something else, but still that depressed me. Not as much as P3's, but still.

I don't know. Didn't anyone else have the same thought that I did, that if I moved to another place for a year, went through THAT, made those types of friends/relationships, good luck getting me on a train back, even if I could just hop on a train every few months to revisit again anyway?

I had a similar reaction, but that's the specific feeling the game is trying to invoke. It's only made more severe by the fact we have no context for the rest of the protagonist's life, we only see that year. We have no idea what his parents or other friends may be like. So to us, that year in Inaba is the protagonist's life, and to see him give it up strikes us as ludicrous.

Well my fellow Persona-gaffers, I'll be out for a few days, I should be back sunday afternoon, giving me plenty of time to play Persona 1. Try not to go completely insane without me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom