• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight

Banned
What is Kaneko doing? Does he still work for atlus?
I believe it was confirmed that he's still at Atlus, although no one really knows what he's doing. If anything.

This is is exactly. I like Vic Mignogna a lot though. Maybe a bit miscast as Jun though.
I don't think I agree. When I first played P3, Junpei (and Yukari's, thinking of it) were two voices that just seemed to click with me when I first heard them. It's hard to imagine Junpei sounding like anyone else, now. It probably got me even more interested in the game than I was; I never really expected exceptionally good VA work from JRPGs beforehand.

Squire

Banned
I don't think I agree. When I first played P3, Junpei (and Yukari's, thinking of it) were two voices that just seemed to click with me when I first heard them. It's hard to imagine Junpei sounding like anyone else, now. It probably got me even more interested in the game than I was; I never really expected exceptionally good VA work from JRPGs beforehand.

I could see how you would think that. I think Vic's casting is a little jarring for me because I know him first/best as Edward Elric, who's a very different character.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Why do so many people hate Yukiko so much. Easily the best party member in P4 for me.

Sophia

The only reason they went with the original Personae in Arena was simply because the original Personae are apparently more iconic. Odd, huh?

Well, when you make the evolved Persona optional and not tied into the plot...

That sounds perfect. Maaya's voice is great. I still haven't seen any of Rebuild :/

It's nothing like the voice she uses for Aigis. If you've seen her performance in Kara no Kyoukai, you have an idea of what to expect. She gets to show off her excellent English skills in 2.0 too! :D

I could see how you would think that. I think Vic's casting is a little jarring for me because I know him first/best as Edward Elric, who's a very different character.

There are only two people who are really capable of doing the dub over voice of Kousuke Toriumi. Vic is one of them. Troy Baker is the other. :p

Yeah, Nich confirmed he was. No idea what he's doing, though.

I believe it was confirmed that he's still at Atlus, although no one really knows what he's doing. If anything.
I hope he does the Persona/Shadow/Demon design for P5. I don't want Soejima to do it(hopefully they just reuse the same Kaneko designs they have been using for 23 years). The last thing he did was..... the stuff he did in Marvel vs Capcom 3 right?

Jintor

Is he Ed in brotherhood? I don't remember. I don't associate the voice, but I stopped watching on Toonami since they rebooted.

I hope he does the Persona/Shadow/Demon design for P5. I don't want Soejima to do it(hopefully they just reuse the same Kaneko designs they have been using for 23 years). The last thing he did was..... the stuff he did in Marvel vs Capcom 3 right?

Kaneko hand picked Soejima for P3 onwards because he himself felt that he was not right for Persona...also, Kaneko worled on MVC3?

Dantis

Kaneko hand picked Soejima for P3 onwards because he himself felt that he was not right for Persona...also, Kaneko worled on MVC3?

Not really. The Devil Trigger in MvC3 is Kaneko's Devil Trigger.

Also, can't believe people dislike Junpei's voice. I think it's perfect.

Squire

Banned
Not really. The Devil Trigger in MvC3 is Kaneko's Devil Trigger.

Also, can't believe people dislike Junpei's voice. I think it's perfect.

"Dislike" is too strong a term. In general I find Vic very pleasant to listen to. And he's fine as Junpei, I just think I was thrown off to start just being used to hearing him as Ed.

"Dislike" is too strong a term. In general I find Vic very pleasant to listen to. And he's fine as Junpei, I just think I was thrown off to start just being used to hearing him as Ed.
I felt the same about Yuri in p4/p3. All I heard was Sasuke,Saskuke,Sasuke,Sasuke. The one dude who plays Akihiko doesn't even try to change his voice from Gaara's.

Sophia

I think the only people they wound up recasting was Alphonse and Hoennheim, actually.

The Japanese version recasted almost everyone for Brotherhood, but the English cast kept almost everyone the same. Only Ed was spared a recast in both languages, I think.

All I can hear when Yukari speaks is Rukia trying to be preppy.

The other way around for me, lol. Oddly I don't mind JYB in Bleach's dub cast.

Squire

Banned
Naw, he did the devil triggers in DMC3, which was reused years later in MVC3

With the only difference being it was cel-shaded. Can't imagine they needed to bug Kaneko to do that.

I think the only people they wound up recasting was Alphonse and Hoennheim, actually.

Were they? I couldn't really get into Brotherhood. They went back and adapted the manga with complete faith which ostensibly removed everything that made the first adaption great.

FMA is great story-telling. Brotherhood is another goofy anime.

The only reason they went with the original Personae in Arena was simply because the original Personae are apparently more iconic. Odd, huh?

Could've sworn that I read something about that if you don't use your Persona for a certain length of time, they revert to their original forms or something. Which made sense to me considering that if Akihiko, Mitsuru, and Aigis were Shadow Operatives, then they'd be fighting a ton and presumably keep their Personas stronger.

But this makes much more sense.

Jintor

Were they? I couldn't really get into Brotherhood. They went back and adapted the manga with complete faith which ostensibly removed everything that made the first adaption great.

FMA is great story-telling. Brotherhood is another goofy anime.

Au contraire, mon cherie. Brotherhood suffers greatly from adaption bullshit (the loss of the Ishvalan War chapter is horrific), but the overall is a far better tied together piece than the first anime adaptations.

FluxWaveZ

Could've sworn that I read something about that if you don't use your Persona for a certain length of time, they revert to their original forms or something. Which made sense to me considering that if Akihiko, Mitsuru, and Aigis were Shadow Operatives, then they'd be fighting a ton and presumably keep their Personas stronger.

What crazy fan fiction is that from?

Levito

Banned
Vic is a fine actor, don't like the guy himself at all though, especially the evangelical Christian stuff he's pushed at conventions in the past.

Still need to watch Brotherhood, loved the original FMA series.

What crazy fan fiction is that from?

I don't remember. I just saw that somewhere. Of course I know it's not true now, but when I first read it I was like "Oh yeah really that's cool I guess"

That was when I was a Persona scrub.

Edit: It IS true? Shoutouts to me for remembering something I didn't really know!

Squire

Banned
Vic is a fine actor, don't like the guy himself at all though, especially the evangelical Christian stuff he's pushed at conventions in the past.

Still need to watch Brotherhood, loved the original FMA series.

Whaaa???

I couldn't deal with Brotherhood. I think I saw about eight episodes and while it looked slick, I hated the shift in tone. It's childish and a pitfall of anime. The original side-stepped that completely.

FluxWaveZ

Yup, it's mentioned in Eternal Punishment as to why Yukino, Kei, and Elly all have their original Persona.

Oh wow. Well then...

Edit: It IS true? Shoutouts to me for remembering something I didn't really know!

Guess you were right! From the one Persona game I haven't played... but I guess it does make sense.

Hm, didn't they forget a lot of their spells in the Answer due to not using them? I don't remember if the Personas went back to their original forms.

I don't remember that, but I'm pretty certain they kept their evolved Personae.

Jintor

Whaaa???

I couldn't deal with Brotherhood. I think I saw about eight episodes and while it looked slick, I hated the shift in tone. It's childish and a pitfall of anime. The original side-stepped that completely.

It recaptures the tone once it stops recapping the bits the original anime covered. The fucking political intrigue near the end... sick shit.

Noi

Neat, had no idea.

One really shouldn't blame the voice actors for stuff like that, really. People get hired for specific voices they can do, and that particular voice for Liam is VERY popular. Same with Steve Blum/Nolan North, dudes have incredible range in their voice acting, but everyone hires him for them for Spike/Nathan Drake.

Levito

Banned

Yeah he's held these little fundie Christian panels at conventions where he talks all about his faith and how he can play characters that aren't Christian blah blah. No big deal right? Except when he say he doesn't believe in homosexuality and insists that any gay character he's played isn't actually gay.

He's also apparently said some horrible things about fellow voice actor Greg Ayres, who also happens to be gay. Can't remember the specifc's but they apparently don't like eachother at all.

So yeah, he's a bit of homophobic asshole apparently. All of this drama is old so I don't know if Vic is still like this though.

Squire

Banned
Yeah he's held these little fundie Christian panels at conventions where he talks all about his faith and how he can play characters that aren't Christian blah blah. No big deal right? Except when he say he doesn't believe in homosexuality and insists that any gay character he's played isn't actually gay.

He's also apparently said some horrible things about fellow voice actor Greg Ayres, who also happens to be gay. Can't remember the specifc's but they apparently don't like eachother at all.

So yeah, he's a bit of homophobic asshole apparently. All of this drama is old so I don't know if Vic is still like this though.

He probably still is. Wow, that's crazy. It's so unfortunate when you find out someone you admire is like that.

Levito

Banned
He probably still is. Wow, that's crazy. It's so unfortunate when you find out someone you admire is like that.

Yeah didn't mean to be a downer, sorry. :(

It's hampered my enjoyment of things he's involved in, thought not significantly.

I have a hard time enjoying LOST anymore for similar reasons and that used to be my favorite show, because apparently Matthew Fox(guy that played Jack) beat multiple women.

Hell everyone loves Bill Murray even though he allegedly beat his wife too.

God damn it...

Trigger

Say whaaaaaat? lol, this thread is semi-educational.

Levito

Banned
Some of it is hearsay, but I remember seeing a panel video once where he said "I don't believe in yaoi at all" and proceeded to say "I don't believe in equivalent exchange in FMA because of original sin and we all don't deserve to be here raaa!!"

There's also a few videos of him kissing girls 1/4 his age out there, maybe it's just me but it still comes off as creepy as fuck IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom