• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
willem-dafoe-boondock-saints-cd59f.jpg

"The one true vessel."

I like Spiderman 1 and 2, 3 was ok until that one specific scene, you guys know what it is, then it went severely downhill. Those reboot ones are meh.

Levito

Banned
yes I like Dafoe as Goblin, deal with it.

He's was perfect as Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, the only thing I didn't like was the actual design they used for the goblin suit, he looked like a power ranger enemy.

I mean just LOOK at this guy:

He looks just like Goblin from the comics but they covered up his face for some reason. So dumb.

Meia

His performance in one just meant they *really* should have kept him around for more. ><

Guy plays such a creeper.

Meia

Managing tired was kind of a guilty pleasure I had. "Can I fight this one more shadow in the way to make it to the next checkpoint before anyone gets tired, or will it push me over?" Of course, this stops late.

Early was kind of hellish though, even with spending much time in the bathrooms to make sure I went in with Great almost all the time.

Sophia

Man, playing some Persona 3 and it feels like you level absurdly slow at the beginning.

Even in Persona 3 Portable you do level pretty slowly at the beginning. The enemies don't really start giving out the XP until Mitsuru joins for the second half of block 2. On the flipside, it's pretty difficult to get left behind in levels in the beginning.

I love the "tired" mechanic. It was better anti-grinding feature IMO.

I loved everything about it except for the fact that there was no visible display of how tired you were. It doesn't allow for abuse like P4 and P3P's system does either.

Even in Persona 3 Portable you do level pretty slowly at the beginning. The enemies don't really start giving out the XP until Mitsuru joins for the second half of block 2. On the flipside, it's pretty difficult to get left behind in levels in the beginning.

Yeah, right now it just takes FOREVER to get like, 38 experience. It's kind of crazy. I must've totally blocked that out.

Sophia

Yeah, right now it just takes FOREVER to get like, 38 experience. It's kind of crazy. I must've totally blocked that out.

Wand cards in shuffle time are your biggest friend with this, even more so in FES. There isn't much of a reason to do fusion early on with the way P3's Personae are spread out.

Wand cards in shuffle time are your biggest friend with this, even more so in FES. There isn't much of a reason to do fusion early on with the way P3's Personae are spread out.

Yeah, they are, but a lot of the time I would either just get Persona/weapon cards or like, three yen cards.

Edit: Wow, that's some cool art.

Sophia

Yeah, they are, but a lot of the time I would either just get Persona/weapon cards or like, three yen cards.

Best card order is basically

Persona (if needed) > XP Wand > Yen Card > Persona (not needed) > weapon card (unless you're doing a quest for a weapon)

I usually just look away if it's just weapon cards and Persona and I don't need either.

Best card order is basically

Persona (if needed) > XP Wand > Yen Card > Persona (not needed) > weapon card (unless you're doing a quest for a weapon)

I usually just look away if it's just weapon cards and Persona and I don't need either.

Yeah, I know :p I just take the weapon cards so I can eventually sell them, which can be a bit helpful at the beginning, but by the end of the game I really just don't care nearly as much and just want the experience or yen.

Conjectural inquiry:

So, what would you guys think if the next Persona game was not called Persona 5? What if it had nothing to do with any previous Persona games or the fighting game fiction... and they didn't call it Persona 5. What would think? Bad or good for business? Furthermore, what would you want it to be called?

Sophia

Conjectural inquiry:

So, what would you guys think if the next Persona game was not called Persona 5? What if it had nothing to do with any previous Persona games or the fighting game fiction... and they didn't call it Persona 5. What would think? Bad or good for business? Furthermore, what would want it to be called?

Um, do mean like a spinoff? (As if they suddenly turned SMT IF or Trinity Soul into a proper game?)

Omikaru

Conjectural inquiry:

So, what would you guys think if the next Persona game was not called Persona 5? What if it had nothing to do with any previous Persona games or the fighting game fiction... and they didn't call it Persona 5. What would think? Bad or good for business? Furthermore, what would you want it to be called?

Persona Infinity! It's an MMO! We all hate it! They never release a mainline game again!

Trigger

Conjectural inquiry:

I'd be fine with it. lol, they could call it anything. It's the quality of the game that's important.

Squire

Banned
Conjectural inquiry:

Sounds like a reboot. No thanks to that.

If you mean a dramatic shift in direction, that'd be alright. Some people seem to want/think that'll happen. I think the thing to remember is it wouldn't be as radical as going from P2 to P3 by virtue of the fact we know it's still P3/4's creative team. The games those people make together will always have a certain connective taste to them.

I'm not really sure what you're asking then. If it's a spinoff that's not really called Persona 5 and doesn't have anything to do with the previous games then it's not really Persona is it?

Why not? It could be like how Final Fantasy games don't follow along the fiction. Understand now, Sophia?

I'd be fine with it. lol, they could call it anything. It's the quality of the game that's important.

Bwahaha, ok how about something crappy like Shadow High? (As in High School.)

Sophia

Why not? It could be like how Final Fantasy games don't follow along the fiction. Understand now, Sophia?

Somewhat, but it kinda seems like a pointless designation/hypothetical question given the Persona games have already been fairly standalone. Not to mention stuff like Catherine. :p

Omikaru

How about Persona Kidz? It'll be a chibi version of Persona with a mix of characters from all the games in elementary school, doing Persona stuff.

I'll be having new nightmares tonight...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
How about Persona Kidz? It'll be a chibi version of Persona with a mix of characters from all the games in elementary school, doing Persona stuff.

They have DemiKids which is sorta like that.

I would say a SRPG but.... Devil Survivor fills that void. ;3

Sounds like a reboot. No thanks to that.

If you mean a dramatic shift in direction, that'd be alright. Some people seem to want/think that'll happen. I think the thing to remember is it wouldn't be as radical as going from P2 to P3 by virtue of the fact we know it's still P3/4's creative team. The games those people make together will always have a certain connective taste to them.

Moreso a dramatic shift in direction Check this out - I had a brainstorm during dinner tonight that the next game from the team was called:

Persona

1. It still retained Persona themes, motifs, etc. but absolutely no reference to Igor, Philemon, Kirijo, Dark Hour, Midnight Channel, or any previously established locations
  2. It took place in an ambiguous place/culture/time similar to Catherine (globalization of the IP)
  3. Characters were in a strange prep school (more Western appeal, more exotic to Japanese audience)

Somewhat, but it kinda seems like a pointless designation/hypothetical question given the Persona games have already been fairly standalone. Not to mention stuff like Catherine. :p

Ah, Sophia. It's not pointless to me. I like talking about these things with PersonaGAF.

I just don't see the point. Plus, the team have said they're working on "the next numbered Persona game."

Yeah, just a conjectural inquiry. I like to ponder these things in lieu of what we have. It's like an exercise in imagination.

I don't mean the discussion, but the question itself. It just seems like they already answered it in a way with Catherine. :p

Although I'd play anything if it was good, no matter what. :D

Yes :) I agree with that bit about Catherine somewhat. As much as I love Persona, I'd love to see more things like Catherine. Or even Atlus making Persona even more standalone, methodologically, than any previous iteration.

Omikaru

Moreso a dramatic shift in direction Check this out - I had a brainstorm during dinner tonight that the next game from the team was called:

Persona

1. It still retained Persona themes, motifs, etc. but absolutely no reference to Igor, Philemon, Kirijo, Dark Hour, Midnight Channel, or any previously established locations
  2. It took place in an ambiguous place/culture/time similar to Catherine (globalization of the IP)
  3. Characters were in a strange prep school (more Western appeal, more exotic to Japanese audience)

I could see them doing something like that to "broaden" the series' appeal, but I'm not sure if I'd dig it completely. Then again, I did like Catherine which is kind of the tone you're suggesting. Maybe a spinoff Persona series that is more catered to a Western audience could be interesting, but so long as we got the Japanese ones too...

Persona Babies! Muppet Babies styled art with Persona!

Persona

That definitely sounds interesting. I'm not quite sure how I'd feel. I mean, I'd definitely give it a chance, but it would make me a bit sad to just come into the series and have them reboot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom