• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
That definitely sounds interesting. I'm not quite sure how I'd feel. I mean, I'd definitely give it a chance, but it would make me a bit sad to just come into the series and have them reboot it.

This. Many in the gaming community fear change. I welcome it, if it seems it's for the better.

I could see them doing something like that to "broaden" the series' appeal, but I'm not sure if I'd dig it completely. Then again, I did like Catherine which is kind of the tone you're suggesting. Maybe a spinoff Persona series that is more catered to a Western audience could be interesting, but so long as we got the Japanese ones too...

Quoting for the new page!

Ok, these are really good posts. Change. Appeal. These things could be intertwined. I don't want to sound cynical but these things may also be in proximity to Index's business structure. Globalization. Lowest common denominators. Streamline methodology.

Squire

Banned

Ok, these are really good posts. Change. Appeal. These things could be intertwined. I don't want to sound cynical but these things may also be in proximity to Index's business structure. Globalization. Lowest common denominators. Streamline methodology.

The fact that Index has their own interests to consider is what makes think P5 won't be too dissimilar to P4 in tone/style.

It would never be LCD though. The series would need to cut or alter everything that's good about it to achieve that.

The fact that Index has their own interests to consider is what makes think P5 won't be too dissimilar to P4 in tone/style.

It would never be LCD though. The series would need to cut or alter everything that's good about it to achieve that.

I really hope Index wouldn't do that. They've definitely found a good audience with Persona 4, I think, and I would imagine that any type of lowest common denominator-oriented reboot would alienate a lot of the big fans they have already.

Hopefully they don't try for that and we get a Persona 5 in the same vein as 3 and 4... at least, I strongly imagine that will be the case.

FluxWaveZ

Hopefully they don't try for that and we get a Persona 5 in the same vein as 3 and 4... at least, I strongly imagine that will be the case.

Hashino's said he's looking to make some pretty big changes akin to P2 to P3, but I just hope that whatever happens, it's not a result of any Index meddling. I'm not convinced they've had a negative impact on Atlus' output yet, but I hope that's not the reality of things.

I wonder what happened to their aspirations of making "Catherine" their next IP next to Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey.

Hashino's said he's looking to make some pretty big changes akin to P2 to P3, but I just hope that whatever happens, it's not a result of any Index meddling. I'm not convinced they've had a negative impact on Atlus' output yet, but I hope that's not the reality of things.

Oh my days.

Actually, help me out here, what are some examples of LCD in Japanese gaming?

@smedwicks

Damn, I'm going to sound so fucking cynical, bear with me: I think that Index has gotten a taste of money through P4 and they will want some more. I think that Atlus is very exciting in how well their direction has taken them and they will take it further.

I have a feeling that Persona 5 being titular could be a thing :/

Actually, help me out here, what are some examples of LCD in Japanese gaming?

@smedwicks

Damn, I'm going to sound so fucking cynical, bear with me: I think that Index has gotten a taste of money through P4 and they will want some more. I think that Atlus is very exciting in how well their direction has taken them and they will take it further.

I have a feeling that Persona 5 being titular could be a thing :/

After every half hour of gameplay, you'll go through the anime-themed intro sequence again. That'll get the audience they're after.
I'm being sarcastic.

I just hope Persona 5 remains high quality.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe the fact that the Persona Team was officially trademarked is a sign that the team was given a meaningful degree of creative freedom.

FluxWaveZ

So long as they make Persona games. Sounds as much a shackle as it does liberation.

Hm, maybe. But they constantly referred to themselves as the "Persona Team" back when they were developing Catherine, so I'm not sure it means the only thing they can do is Persona, plus members of that team work on titles other than Persona anyways.

Levito

Banned
My only wish is that the next Persona game is on a console, Handhelds are fine and good but I still much prefer playing everything on a big TV/monitor.

Also you should be able to choose either a male or female protagonist from the get go.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
My only wish is that the next Persona game is on a console, Handhelds are fine and good but I still much prefer playing everything on a big TV/monitor.

Also you should be able to choose either a male or female protagonist from the get go.

This.

Meia

Only thing that worries me about both is that it would be two half games instead of one whole one.

Though if you do slinks again you could just have them all share links just with different dialogue. The game IS taking a long time to come out too, so who knows?

I kind of fear change in that they may change the formula too much, but then again it's not like persona 4 stops existing once persona 5 comes out anyway.

cjkeats

I'm okay with both. I'd rather it do the whole cross play thing, but we can dream right? If it wasn't for the suspending on PSP, I'd have never finished P3P, and I'd have never played P4.
A million times yes.

FluxWaveZ

What's your reason for opposing it?

Pretty much for the reason Meia stated: it could end up reducing the scope of the game as a whole to accommodate two different sides.

Things like the following would need to be adjusted for two genders:

• A large amount of dialogue would need to be modified and would add a lot of work on the voice acting side of things.
  • Several of the events would need to be modified.
  • All anime cutscenes would need to be done twice (or, at least, significantly modified for two separate protagonists).
  • Most Social Links would need to be adjusted to fit two genders.
This is going from knowledge of the past games. It could work if P5 was built from the ground up to support a female or a male protagonist, but I don't want it to be that way if it required a substantial amount of work that could be avoided and used to improve more worthwhile things. I'd rather it just be one or the other and they stuck to it, which could also make the game's writing better if they didn't have to worry about two genders.

Trigger

Pretty much for the reason Meia stated: it could end up reducing the scope of the game as a whole to accommodate two different sides.

Things like the following would need to be adjusted for two genders:

• A large amount of dialogue would need to be modified and would add a lot of work on the voice acting side of things.
  • Several of the events would need to be modified.
  • All anime cutscenes would need to be done twice (or, at least, significantly modified for two separate protagonists).
  • Most Social Links would need to be adjusted to fit two genders.
This is going from knowledge of the past games. It could work if P5 was built from the ground up to support a female or a male protagonist, but I don't want it to be that way if it required a substantial amount of work that could be avoided and used to improve more worthwhile things. I'd rather it just be one or the other and they stuck to it, which could also make the game's writing better if they didn't have to worry about two genders.

That's fair. I'd hope they would accommodate for two genders. lol, we've been waiting almost half a decade for P5. I don't want them to take a step back if possible.

Meia

It's also something people would want after 3 opened the door for a choice like that. Of course, it was opened cause half of that equation was done years earlier. :(

I'd settle for a female protagonist for once, but probably unlikely, I guess.

Trigger

Wow that thread about the Gamespot article has some horrid posts in it.

Maybe I shouldn't have made it. :\

lol, the Kanji situation has been a hot topic since the game came out. We even had a discussion about it in the last PersonaGAF thread. It's always nice to hear opinions outside of this circle.

Squire

Banned
I'm glad you made it, and the posts aren't that bad. Always gonna have a bad egg or two in those kinds of thread.

lol, the Kanji situation has been a hot topic since the game came out. We even had a discussion about it in the last PersonaGAF thread. It's always nice to hear opinions outside of this circle.

Agreed. It's absolutely discussion worthy and no one is exclusively correct in their position.

I feel like, there should be 2 main characters, a male, and female. If you pick the male, the female is still part of the story, with a set name and personality, and vice versa.

FluxWaveZ

If anything, at least Atlus tries. Between Naoto and Kanji in Persona 4 or Erica in Catherine, they tackle these issues that others don't.

Sometimes I wonder if they even should because people have complained about the representation of all three of those characters and I feel like, no matter how well they tackle these sexual issues, there'll always be someone to complain about how they handle it. Seems like most disagree with that article, though, and at least it gets people to talk about it.

Marche90

I feel like, there should be 2 main characters, a male, and female. If you pick the male, the female is still part of the story, with a set name and personality, and vice versa.

Something a la Pokemon? (Sorry, that was the only example I could come up fast)

Although seeing how much time it is taking to develop the game, something tells me that it's totally possible that they might surprise us with this, or something else.

Man, I really want the next entry already ;_;

Squire

Banned
The issue seems to be that people don't think they're handled well. That's an important point to make, too. No one likes a token character. It's the difference between me being happy a black character appears in a film at all and being happy they appear and are portrayed in a way I perceive to be believable and respectful. If you don't feel like that's what's happening, you need to speak up. Staying silent about is a disservice to the creative force and to yourself as a member of the audience.

Levito

Banned
I really hate that people are attacking Carolyn Petit for not completing certain social links. It's pretty easy to finish the game and not see every social link play out...

More than anything aout that article, I don't like how Carolyn said the game was "Anti-gay". I can certainly understand if people found it insensitive at times, but that's not the same thing as being concretely against something.

Sophia

I really hate that people are attacking Carolyn Petit for not completing certain social links. It's pretty easy to finish the game and not see every social link play out...

More than anything aout that article, I don't like how Carolyn said the game was "Anti-gay". I can certainly understand if people found it insensitive at times, but that's not the same thing as being concretely against something.

I can understand the attacks; If you're going to make an article like that, be prepared to do the research. It's not like the social links aren't available on YouTube or anything... :\

Levito

Banned
Yeah I guess you're right, she makes some really strong accusations.

People in the comment sections of that article are getting really personal though.

FluxWaveZ

I really hate that people are attacking Carolyn Petit for not completing certain social links. It's pretty easy to finish the game and not see every social link play out....

Disagree so much with this. If you're going to write a fleshed out article about how characters are depicted in the game, you better do the proper research, especially when Social Links are such an important part of characterization in Persona 4.

Something a la Pokemon? (Sorry, that was the only example I could come up fast)

Although seeing how much time it is taking to develop the game, something tells me that it's totally possible that they might surprise us with this, or something else.

Man, I really want the next entry already ;_;

That could work, I wonder how it would go though, or what kind of story could accommodate that.

Squire

Banned
I can understand the attacks; If you're going to make an article like that, be prepared to do the research. It's not like the social links aren't available on YouTube or anything... :

Disagree so much with this. If you're going to write a fleshed out article about how characters are depicted in the game, you better do the proper research, especially when Social Links are such an important part of characterization in Persona 4.

Are we... Are we really defending personal attacks on the Internet? I... Really?

Levito

Banned
Was more dismayed at some of the commenters on Gamespots article saying "you're a worthless tranny STFU and max all the social links"

Trigger

Are we... Are we really defending personal attacks on the Internet? I... Really?

Arguably the writer made the first personal attack by implying that the game's writers are homophobic. If she made stronger arguments based more on the actual material and not her head canon, she wouldn't be taking so much flack. This isn't that uncommon. I'm assuimg of course that the negative comments aren't just "dumb bitch, etc etc"

I'm surprised Catherine didn't get more flack for transphobia or insensitivity.

Squire

Banned
No, we're talking about attacking arguments.

I'm not defending anything. I'm criticizing the original author for not doing the research as they should have.

Fair enough. Just checking considering...

Was more dismayed at some of the commenters on Gamespots article saying "you're a worthless tranny STFU and max all the social links"[/I]

^That's the form in which "criticism" is typically doled out in the comments section of GameSpot.

Arguably the writer made the first personal attack by implying that the game's writers are homophobic. If she made stronger arguments based more on the actual material and not her head canon, she wouldn't be taking so much flack. This isn't that uncommon. I'm assuimg of course that the negative comments aren't just "dumb bitch, etc etc"

I'm surprised Catherine didn't get more flack for transphobia or insensitivity.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but I see your point.

I know there actually is an under-current of people not happy about Erica, but I haven't played Catherine, so I can't comment either way.

Fair enough. Just checking considering...

^That's the form in which "criticism" is typically doled out in the comments section of GameSpot.

That is why I hang out here, this place, while it may have its problems, is much more civilized and understanding than most parts of the net. Game related of course at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom