• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the time and place for it. Why is dumb anime designs + talking about which characters you want to fuck ok in Persona and not in Fire Emblem?

I want to
drive
Chris The Car from SMT 2

185px-SMT_IF_christine_sprite.gif

FluxWaveZ

They can be if you beat the game twice with both characters as your choice.

I guess that's something, though it doesn't sound like that's part of the story or anything and I usually don't replay through these games. Well, it's not like the character the player doesn't pick is excluded from the story, so it's fine.

I guess that's something, though it doesn't sound like that's part of the story or anything and I usually don't replay through these games. Well, it's not like the character the player doesn't pick is excluded from the story, so it's fine.

They kind of are.

If you pick Nanjo, you get 2 short dungeons and a boss fight against a familiar foe. It develops his character. If you pick Eriko, you get one long dungeon and a few boss fights, which also develops her character. I may be missing some more btw.

Dantis

They kind of are.

If you pick Nanjo, you get 2 short dungeons and a boss fight against a familiar foe. It develops his character. If you pick Eriko, you get one long dungeon and a few boss fights, which also develops her character. I may be missing some more btw.

Maki only shows up in one of the routes, I believe, also.

FluxWaveZ

They kind of are.

I won't read that right now since I'm just at the factory dungeon, but at least so far they've stayed together in the story. Guess it'll be interesting to see what diverges based on that later.

Noi

It's mostly the female characters who've been most affected. Lots of stockings and short skirts and the like. Characters like Krom look pretty Fire Emblem-esque to me though.

Some of them do. Then we have Frederick, whose wearing a suit under his armor and whatever this guy is supposed to be. It's really a matter of practical gear/clothing, which is what FE (mostly) used to have.

Where is the time and place for it. Why is dumb anime designs + talking about which characters you want to fuck ok in Persona and not in Fire Emblem?

I'll start answering seriously when you stop assuming that I'm only talking about wanting to fuck fictional characters.

Moonlight

Banned
There's a time and place for it. When a series like FE, whose character designs were almost entirely practical in nature go from this to this within the span of one game, it's enough to turn some heads. I see more people talk about marrying character together in Awakening than actually playing the game...
But there is a time and place for discussing marriage in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Given the existence of second generation characters, there's a lot of discussion in regards to who passes on the best skills, bonuses, stat caps or classes to what characters (especially when some classes and thus their skills are exclusive to one gender or the other), and yes, there's a lot of discussion of the marriage supports themselves. I don't see anything inappropriate with talking about who's the most appropriate or natural partner (as the escalation into proposals in the S-Rank events can get pretty silly) to what character given the existence of the support conversation mechanics, and if your problem lays with the potential self-insertion with your avatar unit and a character in the game, it's not like it's that much different in Persona 3 or 4.

What I'm most confused by is that you're directly equating the more stylized character designs to people talking about marriages in the games, anyways. It's not like people would somehow be talking less about marriages if Senri Kita were responsible for the character designs or something.

What I'm most confused by is that you're directly equating the more stylized character designs to people talking about marriages in the games, anyways. It's not like people would somehow be talking less about marriages if Senri Kita were responsible for the character designs or something.

What I think is funny is using Tiki as an example of how ridiculous and impractical the new designs are when Tiki's designs has literally always been "short pink dress"

And using Caeda as an example of how the designs used to be practical when the Pegasus Knights in FEA look almost exactly the same:

e: isn't putting images in quotes supposed to make them smaller

cjkeats

I had no idea Fredrick was wearing a suit under his armour. That's hilarious.
But yeah, the marriage in FEA is an important part to the gameplay. The dating in Persona is not.

And Persona is as much an anime game as any other.

Dantis

I had no idea Fredrick was wearing a suit under his armour. That's hilarious.
But yeah, the marriage in FEA is an important part to the gameplay. The dating in Persona is not.

And Persona is as much an anime game as any other.

This is where we fight.

cjkeats

I think it all comes from how you want to define "Anime game".

You could base it all on art style, or just on tropes and cliches.

I'm just saying...P4 kinda has an anime.

Noi

But there is a time and place for discussing marriage in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Given the existence of second generation characters, there's a lot of discussion in regards to who passes on the best skills, bonuses, stat caps or classes to what characters (especially when some classes and thus their skills are exclusive to one gender or the other), and yes, there's a lot of discussion of the marriage supports themselves. I don't see anything inappropriate with talking about who's the most appropriate or natural partner (as the escalation into proposals in the S-Rank events can get pretty silly) to what character given the existence of the support conversation mechanics, and if your problem lays with the potential self-insertion with your avatar unit and a character in the game, it's not like it's that much different in Persona 3 or 4.

What you're talking about, I'm fine with. Talking about Marriage as a game mechanic is fine. I'm talking about mostly seeing people talk about it from the perspective of "omg I can marry my self insert off with so and so character". I never see people talking about it as a game mechanic (I don't go to the OT, mind you. I'm talking outside of GAF.)

My problem isn't even the fact with those things (the character design included) being in the game, it's that Fire Emblem all of a sudden has characters with charms on their sword handles, thigh high garter stockings everywhere, impractical maid outfits or just plain out ridiculous armor design. If this is the future for the series, it's a very bitter pill to swallow cause the practicality of the character design was one of the reasons I liked FE characters to begin with. Excuse me if I'm not automatically in love with the change in style.

Sophia

I think it all comes from how you want to define "Anime game".

You could base it all on art style, or just on tropes and cliches.

I'm just saying...P4 kinda has an anime.

People seem to use the term "anime" in a very negative sense tho. Tropes and Cliches of the worst kind.

cjkeats

People seem to use the term "anime" in a very negative sense tho. Tropes and Cliches of the worst kind.

Yeah it's a shame they do too, because less people experience something so great because they can be so uptight about it.

I went through a long "Anime is for jerks" phase where I wouldn't have any part of it. It was actually Persona that got me watching it again and playing JRPGs and other "anime" games regularly.

My problem isn't even the fact with those things (the character design included) being in the game, it's that Fire Emblem all of a sudden has characters with charms on their sword handles, thigh high garter stockings everywhere, impractical maid outfits or just plain out ridiculous armor design. If this is the future for the series, it's a very bitter pill to swallow cause the practicality of the character design was one of the reasons I liked FE characters to begin with. Excuse me if I'm not automatically in love with the change in style.

do you feel there is a practical difference between thigh high stockings (like the ones caeda is wearing in the picture you linked as an example of "good" design) and thigh high boots (like the ones every pegasus knight in FE1/3/the remakes of those games wear)?

there are actually legit bad character designs in awakening (yarne and panne, dark mages, Aversa), but you've yet to actually hit on them. a good point you could use for your argument is comparing the designs of OG Tiki from the NES/SNES versions (or the DS remakes) to Nowi's design.

I don't actually recall a character dressed like a maid (there are a bunch of maid costumes in P3 and P4 though!!)

do you feel there is a practical difference between thigh high stockings (like the ones caeda is wearing in the picture you linked as an example of "good" design) and thigh high boots (like the ones every pegasus knight in FE1/3/the remakes of those games wear)?

there are actually legit bad character designs in awakening (yarne and panne, dark mages, Aversa), but you've yet to actually hit on them.

I don't actually recall a character dressed like a maid (there are a bunch of maid costumes in P3 and P4 though!!)

Superior_robo_waifu_maid.png

Noi

there are actually legit bad character designs in awakening (yarne and panne, dark mages, Aversa), but you've yet to actually hit on them.

You meet her 5 seconds into the game.

I haven't played the game yet (it's on it's way though!), so I only have the main characters to look at. I only really linked to Caeda as an example of an FE12 design versus an FE13 design. I would have rather linked to an FE7 one, but really, you should get the gist of what I'm saying. It's completely fair to not like the sudden shift in character design within the span of one game (more so when there's been 12 games setting a certain precedent beforehand), just like it's totally ok for fans of P1 and 2 to have been bothered by the style in P3/4, though at least those had a warning that they'd be radically different on purpose. You're right in that I could have linked a worse offender when it comes to character design in 13, I just wanted to highlight two similar ones.

The difference between the Pegasus Knights in the older games and 13 is that they didn't all have garter belts. I'd only really compare to the P4 if suddenly every main character were to to dress up like Marie.

(Quoting an image doesn't necesarilly make it smaller, it just automatically resizes it to the resolution of however's looking at the image)

cjkeats

You meet her 5 seconds into the game.

I haven't played the game yet (it's on it's way though!), so I only have the main characters to look at. I only really linked to Caeda as an example of an FE12 design versus an FE13 design. I would have rather linked to an FE7 one, but really, you should get the gist of what I'm saying. It's completely fair to not like the sudden shift in character design within the span of one game (more so when there's been 12 games setting a certain precedent beforehand), just like it's totally ok for fans of P1 and 2 to have been bothered by the style in P3/4, though at least those had a warning that they'd be radically different on purpose. You're right in that I could have linked a worse offender when it comes to character design in 13, I just wanted to highlight two similar ones.

The difference between the Pegasus Knights in the older games and 13 is that they didn't all have garter belts. I'd only really compare to the P4 if suddenly every main character were to to dress up like Marie.

(Quoting an image doesn't necesarilly make it smaller, it just automatically resizes it to the resolution of however's looking at the image)

I never would of said Lissa was dressed like a maid, but now that you say it....huh.

A maid AND a robot IN A CLASSIC SMT GAME. Take that evildoers!

Yeah Mary is p. terrible (and only terrible people like her) so obviously she had to be featured prominently on the website for the 3DS version.

How about if all the P4 characters started wearing glasses.

I wouldn't say Lissa dresses like a Maid, but she is one of the stupid character designs.

cj_iwakura

As maid characters go, Mary is very tolerable. She's calm and reserved.

Also, need more OT title suggestions. I had some great ideas and can't recall them, but Poltergeist In The Shell is a front runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom