• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Not unlikely, look at BlazBlue.

My vote is for unlikely. ASW could do that because Extend was releasing for consoles alongside the handheld releases. Aside from a single bug fix patch for P4A they put out and downloadable Challenge Mode videos, there's been no extended support for P4A and it seems that everyone involved has moved on to different projects.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
auunp3.jpg

Sophia

I would dance crazy for a Vita port of Arena

I dunno if I'd buy a port of Arena as is, unless it had cross-platform play and was really cheap. Better off just to save the Vita port for a new release.

My vote is for unlikely. ASW could do that because Extend was releasing for consoles alongside the handheld releases. Aside from a single bug fix patch for P4A they put out and downloadable Challenge Mode videos, there's been no extended support for P4A and it seems that everyone involved has moved on to different projects.

Disappointing that they've all basically moved on, given that this game had legs early on in it's life support and they just ditched it.

FluxWaveZ

Disappointing that they've all basically moved on, given that this game had legs early on in it's life support and they just ditched it.

True. One of the best selling fighting games ever in Japan could definitely have benefited from substantial DLC. Maybe Atlus/Index weren't prepared for the game's reception or didn't have the experience to support a fighting game or something. Or maybe it's just that once it dropped, ASW had to immediately focus on Chrono Phantasma and the Persona Team had to do their own thing.

And from what I've heard, the BB community wasn't too happy with constant rebalances in past iterations of the series, so maybe they wanted to avoid accidentally killing the community like that? Whatever happened, I love the game and I'd want to have more of it.

FluxWaveZ

P4A needs (aside from obvious more characters/stages):
  • Special character intros (aside from the Akihiko mirror fist-bump)
  • Matchup specific themes (aside from boring P3/P4 mirror ones)
  • Taunts and more matchup specific dialogue (Can't believe this game doesn't have freakin' taunts)
  • Online ranking system that doesn't suck
Man... a sequel would be awesome.

But yeah, I'd buy a third copy if it were released for the Vita, just for the sake of completion. I'd like to play more, but people aren't too good in player matches anymore so it gets boring.

FluxWaveZ

P4A's cast was also too small for my taste.

I'm fine with it. ASW is awesome at making each character plays so differently from each other, plus P4A has the same amount of characters as Calamity Trigger did (I believe), so it matches up with the first BlazBlue game in terms of amount of characters.

Sophia

True. One of the best selling fighting games ever in Japan could definitely have benefited from substantial DLC. Maybe Atlus/Index weren't prepared for the game's reception or didn't have the experience to support a fighting game or something. Or maybe it's just that once it dropped, ASW had to immediately focus on Chrono Phantasma and the Persona Team had to do their own thing.

And from what I've heard, the BB community wasn't too happy with constant rebalances in past iterations of the series, so maybe they wanted to avoid accidentally killing the community like that? Whatever happened, I love the game and I'd want to have more of it.

I've always wondered why these fighting games go for constant re-releases when it seems a steady stream of balancing patches and DLC would go a lot longer. I guess Arc has an excuse given they have such huge story modes tho...

Noi

There will be a P4A Vita port before the PS360 version releases in EU.

I've always wondered why these fighting games go for constant re-releases when it seems a steady stream of balancing patches and DLC would go a lot longer. I guess Arc has an excuse given they have such huge story modes tho...

There are things you can only do with re-releases that can't be done via DLC. Story mode is one of 'em, but for instance, you can't add characters via DLC if the game doesn't have said hooks in place to begin with.

The CSII patch for the home version of BBCS worked because it was just a balance patch + the characters had already been planned from the start. Otherwise, you best believe it would have also been another re-release.

Basically, DLC can't magically fix everything.

Meia

I look at some of the Vita screens people post and am jealous. I still use the ones that came with the Solid Gold edition because I don't have other options. Not that I'm complaining of seeing Chie on the screen whenever I hit the power button. :p

P4A is the game that got me interested in learning how to play fighting games after SF2 being the last one I got into. Would love to see it continued in some form, but doubt it's in the cards.

Trigger

Well that's Arc for ya
I'm fine with it. ASW is awesome at making each character plays so differently from each other, plus P4A has the same amount of characters as Calamity Trigger did (I believe), so it matches up with the first BlazBlue game in terms of amount of characters.

True, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike was the last fighting game I played so I guess I'm not used to ASW's style.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh that's right! They still don't have it... Zen said they would be announcing something soon on February 20th, but I'm not too sure what "soon" means to them.

At this point, I would have already moved to the US, if I didn't live here already.

FluxWaveZ

I'd prefer Kei Nanjo, Eriko Kirishima, Masao Mark Inaba, Maya Amano, Tatsuya Suou, Eikichi Mishina, Katsuya Suou, Ulala Serizawa, and Baofu dlc.

No. If any of them are to appear, it has to be in a full blown sequel with a story tie-in. I could maybe see Junpei and Yukari as standalone DLC, but they'd have to explain some shit for the P2 cast. (also, Mark sucks)

Seems that P4A was an attempt at tying together Persona 2, Persona 3 and Persona 4 together (and maybe Persona 1), so I could see it happening. I just wonder if the cliffhangers were meant for a P4A sequel, for a Persona spin-off or for, god forbid, Persona 5 itself.

FluxWaveZ

Because if fighters have taught us anything, super short characters always go over well
(Yoda, Akamaru, Iggy/Petshop. Granted when Iggy activates The Fool his hitbox becomes larger, but yeah. Constantly low attacking. Woo.)

UMvC3 Viewtiful Joe and Amaterasu are pretty awesome.

But most fans don't even know who they are.

Yep. But whatever, include a couple for the more devoted fans and for any story links they'd want to pursue. They're all awesome characters, so P3/P4 exclusive folk would probably come to appreciate them anyways.

UMvC3 Viewtiful Joe and Amaterasu are pretty awesome.
Joe's not exactly what I mean though. Yoda, the tallest of the few I mentioned, is probably shorter than Joe, and Joe heightwise isn't that bad. And Ammy also gets a pass as air combos are heavy in marvel and easy to start up. Last time I checked SCIV, Clash of Ninja 2, or JoJo's aren't about air combos to the extent of Marvel, if they even are

Trigger

This makes me wonder: what would the new characters have as their title in P4A? Stuff like Sister Complex and Killjoy Detective are easy to come up with. I'm not sure how you'd approach the P2 cast whose personalities aren't as familiar.

I'd be okay with just Lisa so I can beat up Chie with her.

Chie vs Lisa has to happen. There can only be one kung-fu goddess.

FluxWaveZ

This makes me wonder: what would the new characters have as their title in P4A? Stuff like Sister Complex and Killjoy Detective are easy to come up with. I'm not sure how you'd approach the P2 cast whose personalities aren't as familiar.

Well, ignoring the fact that their personalities would be different compared to how they were several years ago in the Persona 4 era, it'd be easy to come up with titles like that. After all, in IS,
each party member has their own Shadow
and it'd be easy to mock the EP crew based on their insecurities and personality flaws.

However, I think the TV world has to be done with now and, along with it, the TV aesthetic. After P4A, an excuse for the Midnight Channel to appear yet again and have everyone need to go back in there would be extremely weak.

Dantis

I think it all comes from how you want to define "Anime game".

You could base it all on art style, or just on tropes and cliches.

Indeed.

In the end it boils down to this: I like Persona. Any tropes that it draws from anime are presented in such a way that they don't bother me (For the most part).

Also, no more Arena. I'd rather they just left it alone.

Meia

I'd like them to at least continue the story of Arena, and have Labrys moving forward. Don't really care in what capacity, especially since I still think the "story" they were doing in Arena would have been FAR better served being slapped into Golden as the new character/dungeon. How amazing would that have been, to have Golden have kind of an epilogue chapter like Fes did, but have it be the Arena incident, and then for finishing that you get the epilogue ending like how we had it. Best of both worlds, and you wouldn't have had to shoehorn in a whole new character that was misused due to the shoehorning to begin with.

I like Marie, and
a god-tier being being aligned with the forces of good for a change could be significant if they decide to do ANYTHING with it moving forward
, but they really really messed up her inclusion in the game.

Dantis

I have some bad news for ya!

(That's not gonna happen)

I dunno. I think it's possible that they at least won't continue it for a while. It would require entirely new sprites for everyone for a start, so it would effectively be a whole new game.

FluxWaveZ

I dunno. I think it's possible that they at least won't continue it for a while. It would require entirely new sprites for everyone for a start, so it would effectively be a whole new game.

Well, even if the story of a P4A2 wasn't some Eternal Punishment or Continuum Shift situation, they could still decide to have the Investigation Team wear their school uniforms again and then there'd only be sprite recolorings and really minor modifications (like changing
Yosuke and Kanji's hair
), which wouldn't be that difficult to implement.

I think there won't be a P4A2 for a while just because both companies are so busy with their other projects. When a (fighting) game had a really good critical reception and when the (Japanese) sales were fantastic, I don't think you just leave it be with no sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom