• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already pre-ordered Soul Hackers, will *probably* buy out SMT IV, at least depending on when it releases in the US, but I'm sure if I don't get it at launch I'll buy it down the road at some point.

Young Magus

Well, Aeana's personally banning everyone who doesn't buy it, so that's at least NeoGAF's entire population confirmed!

But seriously, I'll do everything I can to convince people to buy it, the rest is up to them.

What's NGS+2?
Count me in on getting it day one as well. BTW how overclocked for a SRPG noob? Its $29 should I just get it or what?

Astra

It's not a matter of colors for me. It's a matter of the original model 3DS are physically painful for me to hold. I really regret buying it considering the XL came out not too long after.

Yep. My hands have been in pain from playing Fire Emblem. I'm glad it doesn't require too much button usage or else my hands would be seized up in some grotesque claw state.

I wonder how much more comfortable the xl is. The DSi XL wasn't a real joy to hold either.

Levito

Banned
My hands get cramped after playing the 3DS and the Vita after a while, it's one of the reason's I haven't really dived into P4G yet.

It's also why I'm terrified of P5 being a handheld exclusive.

Meia

If the 3ds is that much of a pain to hold, had you ever tried the circle pad pro thingy? Kind of changes the shape of the bottom of it fairly greatly, and makes it smoother at any rate. There's one for the xl as well, which I'll buy whenever I pull the trigger on an XL version(probably before SMT4 hits).

It was playing the Vita so long with Golden that caused me pain with handhelds though. Never really played a handheld for that long of a time over so short a period, actually got bursitis in my left arm from holding it up so much. Yeah Doc, it was exercise, sure. :p

Astra

The Vita is much more comfortable to me than the 3DS at least. Though my hands will cramp after awhile. It's not so bad for Golden though, since I didn't need to use the shoulder buttons much.

As for the circle pad pro, I can't find that thing at a reasonable price.

Haha, yeah losing track of the hours while I played Golden wreaked havoc on my poor hands.

Dantis

The ratio of Atlus published games on handheld's to one's published on current generation consoles makes me think it's a possibility.

Look up when the last time Hashino developed a handheld game was.

The answer is never. ;)

Not to mention them talking about how they made a new engine to better fit their needs. You don't build a new engine for a 3DS game.

Assuage your fears, it won't happen!

Famous last words.

If it's handheld exclusive, I'll let PersonaGAF have free-reign over my avatar. I'm that confident.

cjkeats

I'm being reminded of Kagari and the "Final Fantasy XIII will never be on 360" thing. lol

Personally I don't think it'll be handheld either, but I wouldn't complain if it was, my best persona experiences have all been handheld.

If it's handheld exclusive, I'll let PersonaGAF have free-reign over my avatar. I'm that confident.
I'm holding you to this and I'm gonna start searching for the kawaii-est Labrys at a hot spring piece of art on the Internet.

Dantis

COME AT ME, BROS.

I wouldn't mind if it had a simultaneous handheld release, but I'd be pretty put out by an exclusive one.

wa2.jpg

FluxWaveZ

This again, huh. When Persona 5 is announced for consoles I'll compile a list of everyone who was truly confident that it would be a handheld release and I will laugh at them.

Meia

Until they reveal a PSVita redesign or cradle that gives me hdmi out, don't want main persona game on it exclusively kthx.

...now cross play as a ps3 and a vita game, that I'm game for. :)

Marche90

Well then, I hope you're prepared :3
L8bhlYE.png

Art and text are temporary until I can find a "better" picture.

This is one of the best things that I've seen in a while, and I've seen a lot lately.

Also, while I love my 3DS, I don't think that P5 will land on a portable

cjkeats

I don't get why you are all so convinced. Unless they've said that it'll be in home consoles, the ball game is still going. SMT 1,2, and 3 were on home consoles too.
I don't care where it is. I'm going to play it regardless, but if by some chance it does go portable first, good lord it has to be on Vita.

FluxWaveZ

I don't get why you are all so convinced. Unless they've said that it'll be in home consoles, the ball game is still going. SMT 1,2, and 3 were on home consoles too.
I don't care where it is. I'm going to play it regardless, but if by some chance it does go portable first, good lord it has to be on Vita.

This counts as the kind of comment I'll smile back on when it's revealed. I'll play Persona 5 on whichever platform it first comes out for day 1, but the mere thought of it being exclusively released for a handheld melts my mind it's so unfathomable.

cjkeats

This counts as the kind of comment I'll smile back on when it's revealed. I'll play Persona 5 on whichever platform it first comes out for day 1, but the mere thought of it being exclusively released for a handheld melts my mind it's so unfathomable.
But why?

FluxWaveZ

Because!

If I were to use reason: developing a wholly new engine after their work on Catherine, 3+ years of development time and all previous Persona games being on consoles first.

Can you imagine the destruction that would ensue if Persona 5 was announced as a handheld game? Crazy.

cjkeats

Because!

If I were to use reason: developing a wholly new engine after their work on Catherine, 3+ years of development time and all previous Persona games being on consoles first.

Can you imagine the destruction that would ensue if Persona 5 was announced as a handheld game? Crazy.

Didn't they say that last year sometime that they were just getting around to only submitting the initial art or something? The tossing of the Catherine engine speaks more to the mystery of where its gonna go more than anything if you ask me.
Also, see my previous example of SMT, where the older ones were mean nothing these days.

I can see the destruction, and honestly, that's half the reason I'd hope it would happen. The meltdowns would be beautiful. So beautiful.
But for real, I'd trow my money in the console pot, but wouldn't be surprised at the latter.
People need to be careful they're so sure it's coming to consoles just because they want it there. It'll hurt more if it goes the other way. lol.

Dantis

I think your avatar is safe. P5 is going to be a console game, I'm sure of it.

So am I. I wouldn't have said it if I wasn't. ;)

Well then, I hope you're prepared :3
L8bhlYE.png

Art and text are temporary until I can find a "better" picture.

This truly is a vile picture. Well done.

Didn't they say that last year sometime that they were just getting around to only submitting the initial art or something? The tossing of the Catherine engine speaks more to the mystery of where its gonna go more than anything if you ask me.
Also, see my previous example of SMT, where the older ones were mean nothing these days.

I can see the destruction, and honestly, that's half the reason I'd hope it would happen. The meltdowns would be beautiful. So beautiful.
But for real, I'd trow my money in the console pot, but wouldn't be surprised at the latter.
People need to be careful they're so sure it's coming to consoles just because they want it there. It'll hurt more if it goes the other way. lol.

Well, it just wouldn't make sense.

Let's say it's a Vita exclusive - That would make it a straight up failure.

Let's say it's a 3DS exclusive - Why the new engine? Why not the P4 engine? Or the SMT4 engine? The 3DS is underpowered as heck, so it wouldn't require a new engine.

Not to mention that, like I say, they haven't made a handheld game. Ever. Before Persona and Catherine, a lot of them worked on DDS and Nocturne. They're Atlus' only major console team, so to drop them to handheld is to essentially drop console support.

Because!

what about cross-buy or remote play?

would that upset you?

not being sarcastic or anything.

personally, i love playing the series on a handheld. super convenient for when i'm on lunch at work or when there isnt a tv available to play on

FluxWaveZ

In August 2012, Hashino said that Soejima had submitted sketches, but he didn't say when and I doubt it was that late in development because, in August 2011, he also said that preliminary development on the next Persona title was complete.

Somehow, I missed your SMT comparison. That's true, the previous SMT games were all on consoles until Strange Journey and SMT IV represents a definitive shift, however I could also argue that that represents the current state of SMT's popularity, which Persona definitely eclipses now.

Part of the reason I just can't see this happening probably is because I just don't want it to happen. I'll maintain my position that there's absolutely no way this gets released only on handhelds, but now I'm wondering if I'll be one of those who melts down if it is.

what about cross-buy or remote play?

would that upset you?

not being sarcastic or anything.

personally, i love playing the series on a handheld. super convenient for when i'm on lunch at work or when there isnt a tv available to play on

No. Why would it? I do own every Persona game released on my Vita, fyi.

cjkeats

Well, it just wouldn't make sense.

Let's say it's a Vita exclusive - That would make it a straight up failure.

Let's say it's a 3DS exclusive - Why the new engine? Why not the P4 engine? Or the SMT4 engine? The 3DS is underpowered as heck, so it wouldn't require a new engine.

Not to mention that, like I say, they haven't made a handheld game. Ever. Before Persona and Catherine, a lot of them worked on DDS and Nocturne. They're Atlus' only major console team, so to drop them to handheld is to essentially drop console support.

Golden wasn't a failure.

Who says the engine isn't an all new mobile engine? We don't know what direction the game is gonna go, it probably wouldn't work on the previous games systems. But again, the key point everyone is missing: We don't know anything about it.

Just becasue they haven't done one thing don't mean they can do something different. Hell that's exactly what Catherine was, something different.

In August 2012, Hashino said that Soejima had submitted sketches, but he didn't say when and I doubt it was that late in development because, in August 2011, he also said that preliminary development on the next Persona title was complete.

Somehow, I missed your SMT comparison. That's true, the previous SMT games were all on consoles until Strange Journey and SMT IV represents a definitive shift, however I could also argue that that represents the current state of SMT's popularity, which Persona definitely eclipses now.

Part of the reason I just can't see this happening probably is because I just don't want it to happen. I'll maintain my position that there's absolutely no way this gets released only on handhelds, but now I'm wondering if I'll be one of those who melts down if it is.

I think it's less about the series and more about the way people play games in Japan. Handhelds are a thing over there.

Dantis

Golden wasn't a failure.

Who says the engine isn't an all new mobile engine? We don't know what direction the game is gonna go, it probably wouldn't work on the previous games systems. But again, the key point everyone is missing: We don't know anything about it.

Just becasue they haven't done one thing don't mean they can do something different. Hell that's exactly what Catherine was, something different.

Golden was a great success for a port of an old game. It was no where near the success they'll be hoping for with P5.

Dantis

So you're saying that Atlus is abandoning console development?

I think he's more trying to say "Be willing to accept the worst so that you don't melt down".

What he doesn't realise is that, realistically, I'll probably melt down about something anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom