• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nudull

Banned
Something tells me that I should really play Persona 2, although the lack of an english version for EP irks me.

Sophia

Is it just me or does the Vita battery drain faster when playing PSP games? I don't recall Golden draining the battery this fast. x_X

Geez do figures really sell high after the production stop? I been looking tho a few persona figures and I notice Thanatos is selling around $175ish..seems a tad bit ridiculousness.

johnsmith

remember me
Geez do figures really sell high after the production stop? I been looking tho a few persona figures and I notice Thanatos is selling around $175ish..seems a tad bit ridiculousness.

That's nothing. Elizabeth can sell for over $500.

iZt8hB84nBAaH.jpg

Jintor

It always bugged me that in P3 the soundtrack for the test would reset every day. So it would start up and shut down every time the day switch came in. Blah!

Sophia

Sophia

Yes, it's canon. Buy it because you enjoy a good fighting game tho. Otherwise it'll lose replay value fast once you beat the (long) story mode.

Yes, it's canon. Buy it because you enjoy a good fighting game tho. Otherwise it'll lose replay value fast once you beat the (long) story mode.

Actually felt that Story Mode is not as good as it could have been, if you compare it to how Blazblue story modes work.

FluxWaveZ

Actually felt that Story Mode is not as good as it could have been, if you compare it to how Blazblue story modes work.

Definitely not. I don't have much of a problem with the story itself as some others do, but I would have vastly preferred the story mode if it was one cohesive whole instead of a rather fragmented mess it actually became with significant changes based on which character the player chooses.

Mortal Kombat 9 is still the best story mode I've experienced in a fighting game and that's because, aside from its great presentation, it followed one linear path which forced the player to play with different characters. There wasn't even a "true path" choice in P4A's story mode so, even though it's supposed to be canon, we're supposed to gather all of these different elements across the different characters' chapters to form our opinions on what actually happened, and that's no good.

Definitely not. I don't have much of a problem with the story itself as some others do, but I would have vastly preferred the story mode if it was one cohesive whole instead of a rather fragmented mess it actually became with significant changes based on which character the player chooses.

Mortal Kombat 9 is still the best story mode I've experienced in a fighting game and that's because, aside from its great presentation, it followed one linear path which forced the player to play with different characters.

Well thats more due to the nature of the story itself, not how the story works.

MK9'ing P4A's story mode would have been so fantastic....;_;

Sophia

I feel that the writing is fine and up to Atlus's standards, however it didn't really benefit from the Arc Systems Works's style of having multiple character story. They should have condensed it into: "Original P4 cast > Later P4 Cast > Shadow Operatives > Labrys > Finale."

Jintor

Mortal Kombat 9 is still the best story mode I've experienced in a fighting game and that's because, aside from its great presentation, it followed one linear path which forced the player to play with different characters. There wasn't even a "true path" choice in P4A's story mode so, even though it's supposed to be canon, we're supposed to gather all of these different elements across the different characters' chapters to form our opinions on what actually happened, and that's no good.

most def

apart from anything else it would stop yu/yosuke/yukiko/chie's story from being almost exactly the same

Noi

It's possible to do "one story with multiple characters", but that's as hard to balance as what P4A and BB do. For an example of that done horribly wrong, see Soul Calibur V.

I prefer the one story per character approach myself. I don't like being forced to swap character playstyles in the middle of the story, which makes me have to suddenly learn and adapt to using a new character during a harder section of the plot. (Not that it really applies to P4A since Story mode on Normal is piss easy.)

Why didn't
Nyarlathotep transform into Mitsuru's father in persona 4 arena?
It's weird because everything he does is just for the lulz and he seems to enjoy mind fucking people. That would have been pretty damn funny if he did.

FluxWaveZ

Why didn't
It's weird because everything he does is just for the lulz and he seems to enjoy mind fucking people. That would have been pretty damn funny if he did.

Persona 3 and P4A Spoilers

Going with the assumption that
the Malevolent Entity is indeed Nyarl
, that would have been pretty good.
Heck, transforming into Akihiko's dead sister, Shinjiro or the P3MC would have also been interesting. He probably assumed characters' fake Shadow selves out of an excuse to have characters face themselves during the story or just for the narrative justification that his goal is apparently to transform Personas into Shadows.

That reminds me of one of my favorite scenes in P4A:
when Aigis faces her Shadow.
Reminds me a lot of the anime scene (P4 spoilers) of
Yu vs. Margaret where if Velvet Room guests lose themselves during their journey, it seems that the hosts decide to beat the crap out of them until they realize their mistake.

Sophia

P4A and P3FES spoilers in this post. Ye have been warned.

Why didn't

Because it would be pointless.
Mitsuru wouldn't have fallen for it just like how Naoto didn't fall for it in her ending. Actually, it probably would have pissed Mitsuru off more.

That reminds me of one of my favorite scenes in P4A:
when Aigis faces her Shadow.
Reminds me a lot of the anime scene (P4 spoilers) of
Yu vs. Margaret where if Velvet Room guests lose themselves during their journey, it seems that the hosts decide to beat the crap out of them until they realize their mistake.

Just so that we're on the same page, you do know
that Aigis already faced her Shadow in FES and the "Shadow Aigis" there is the Malevolent Entity, right?

So I was doing my grinding around tartarus... but then Fuuka said she sensed Death.
I couldn't escape.
I heard chains.
Next thing I know it's game over :C

Sophia

So I was doing my grinding around tartarus... but then Fuuka said she sensed Death.
I couldn't escape.
I heard chains.

If that happens, split your party up and tell them to fight shadows. Then run your ass off. :p

Trigger

RE All that spoilery text above:
Is it ever said that Metis is Aigis's shadow or is that just fan speculation?

I couldn't escape.
I heard chains.

Isn't it awesome? I miss the big fella.

FluxWaveZ

Just so that we're on the same page, you do know
that Aigis already faced her Shadow in FES and the "Shadow Aigis" there is the Malevolent Entity, right?

Wait, what? When I think of
Aigis' Shadow, the only thing that comes to mind is Metis. And whatever she faced in FES is supposed to be the Malevolent Entity?
Help me out, what am I forgetting?

Sophia

Wait, what? When I think of
Aigis' Shadow, the only thing that comes to mind is Metis. And whatever she faced in FES is supposed to be the Malevolent Entity?
Help me out, what am I forgetting?

Metis is Aigis's Shadow Self. What appeared in Persona 4 Arena was just the Malevolent Entity/Nyarlathotep in disguise. Fuuka even states very specifically at the end of Aigis's story mode that it was not her Shadow Self in the classroom.

FluxWaveZ

Metis is Aigis's Shadow Self. What appeared in Persona 4 Arena was just the Malevolent Entity/Nyarlathotep in disguise. Fuuka even states very specifically at the end of Aigis's story mode that it was not her Shadow Self in the classroom.

Oh, okay thanks. Yeah, I knew that, so I must have misunderstood what you were saying. Yeah, what I meant was that
Liz was pissed that Aigis didn't realize the illusion, so she proceeded to punish her for it.

Jintor

RE All that spoilery text above:
Is it ever said that Metis is Aigis's shadow or is that just fan speculation?

Never explicitly stated, but if
it's made up of a repressed part of one's personality it's functionally a shadow anyway, just not going beserk. WEEEEEEEIRD how she has her own persona though, not sure how to reconcile that

Never explicitly stated, but if
it's made up of a repressed part of one's personality it's functionally a shadow anyway, just not going beserk. WEEEEEEEIRD how she has her own persona though, not sure how to reconcile that

Plot holes? People speculate that Maki Sonomura, the one you get in your party in 1, was a Shadow too, along with Teddie, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom