• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

I don't like Akihiko's english voice in P4A. It's not the same as P3P. That alone was enough to make me not main him even though he was my favourite in p3p.

You're obviously just distracted by Aki's bare chest. It's the same guy.

I'm convinced after P4A that P5 will have an action/tales like battle system.

I'm not sure how I feel about that but could be great with the series enemy designs. Crazy?

Not necessarily. I could envision an action/RPG persona. I don't think they're going to do that anytime soon though if SMTIV is any indication.

Daimaou

I'm just curious about how it deals with there being actual demons in the early Persona games and how that reconciles with the Shadows from P3 and 4. I know that the game contains several references to Devil Summoner, but I felt that the two series just kind of thematically clashed.

So what does it add? I'm really interested now.

I think the reason for fighting demons in P1&P2 and shadows in P3&P4 is just a function of who/what/where the protagonists happen to be fighting at the time.

Spoilers for P2.
For example, Nyarlathotep and those he gives his power to can summon real demons, so you fight a lot of demons -- as well as shadows of people when he happens to summon them.

In P3 and P4 however, you fight in either the Dark Hour or TV World, places where shadows happen to dwell, so that's all you really fight.

Esura

Banned
I don't like Akihiko's english voice in P4A. It's not the same as P3P. That alone was enough to make me not main him even though he was my favourite in p3p.

It's the same voice actor. His voice is slightly deeper to account for him being older than he was in P3 I wager.

Jintor

Finished another card

tumblr_mhonbcnLC81rnx5rho1_500.png

Might take a break for a bit and then try and redo the Narukami one. Not sure whether to [P4]
go with Shadow Yu as per normal even though he's from the anime, or put Adachi as the reflection

Dantis

I just want more Labrys. :D Preferably in P5 just to spite Dantis.

Blerg.

Absolutely not.

Labrys is just too silly for me. She doesn't mesh with the universe at all in my opinion.

Yes, it's canon. Buy it because you enjoy a good fighting game tho. Otherwise it'll lose replay value fast once you beat the (long) story mode.

The story is so irrelevant that it doesn't matter though.
And as ever, I'd argue that Hashino saying "We're making a proper sequel to Persona 4" doesn't necessarily confirm it as canon.

This man knows what's up. Great choices.

Nope, it's a different song. It plays when you're during Exam week!

Ooooooh, from Persona 3. I thought we were talking about a Persona 4 track. For some reason when I typed the name in from my CD, I've called it Junior Exam. Weird. I'll change it now.

Is this the thread I go to to complain that all of you kids and your social links and japanese hip hop and 2008 anime aesthetic are ruining the moody deal-with-the-devil 90s vibe from the persona I remember as a kid?

Hopefully If Labrys' shows up again, she'll won't be dressed up as a schoolgirl.

I don't mind the battle axe , but I wish it was smaller though.

Dantis

Hopefully If Labrys' shows up again, she'll won't be dressed up as a schoolgirl.

I don't mind the battle axe , but I wish it was smaller though.

Didn't like the robot hair clip. Or the axe. Or the armor on various parts of her. Remove all those and we'll be chill.

Dantis

Just want to stop by to say that this guy:

8518835_m.jpg

Is 1000x times cooler than this guy:

2125678_yup4g.jpg

And that's a fact.

That's some dynamite fanart of P3MC. Really excellent.

I like them both equally. I hate how whenever anyone talks about Narukami they start going on about swag though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Damn, this current Ebay bid's approaching $100.

Not cool. Checking Amazon, cheapest I can see used is about $60. Still a bit too much...

Kinda funny I saw a lot of EP copies dumped into the bargain bin and being sold for $9.99 when I had my vacation in the US. This was almost 10 years ago.

Join in, old man! :b

Thanks! In all honesty I hope you guys have fun, even if the games are a little different these days I'm sure they're instilling the same kind of OMG Japan is so cool vibe for y'all that the first Persona did for me back in the day. Oh, but, the Meguro-remixed battle music and eviscerated track list in the PSP remake was a tragedy!

Just want to stop by to say that this guy:

8518835_m.jpg

Is 1000x times cooler than this guy:

2125678_yup4g.jpg

And that's a fact.
Yup, he's superior from a story perspective and gameplay perspective. He also runs with his hands in his pocket.
That's some dynamite fanart of P3MC. Really excellent.

I like them both equally. I hate how whenever anyone talks about Narukami they start going on about swag though.
Doesn't the anime mention this?

Jintor

Minato thinks Tanaka's song is annoying, while Yu thinks it's cheery. Yu wins.

Yup, he's superior from a story perspective and gameplay perspective. He also runs with his hands in his pocket.

What, because he can choose weapon types?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder what other Persona games will the Vita get. PSP has all of them except P4.

Here's to hoping they make a merged version of P2IS and P2EP.

Jintor

I prefer Minato mostly for what he does in the end. It's like a giant middle finger from humanity to "the Gods".

I won't deny he gets a way better story role in endgame, but
he does kinda get a raw deal outta it. At least Yu gets to save the world and hang around afterwards for Gaiden games or extra epilogues

I won't deny he gets a way better story role in endgame, but
he does kinda get a raw deal outta it. At least Yu gets to save the world and hang around afterwards for Gaiden games or extra epilogues

My thoughts regarding Minato's ending,
I like less than perfect endings and don't always need a happy ending to be satisfied. It makes you think; would you sacrifice yourself to save humanity? Would you endure a fate worse than death to protect what you love? Minato would and did. And Aigis is a worthy successor (imo) for any Persona 3 Gardens.

Jintor

That's not really what it made me think.
It made me think he was the designated hero dude who did it because he was The One and aww yeah. I mean, I don't know, I never really thought much of Minato as a character because I never saw much of him as a character. Hamuko feels a lot more genki and pointed even in her limited dialogue options in P3P, while Yu gets not only all of P4 to show off but also the anime which establishes him as actually kind of a hilarious dude. Minato's just... like... the quiet dude in the background who happens to step it up when he needs to.

That ending bit is baller though. Fuck yeah.

I can't argue against Minato being the mute protagonist, because obviously he is, but like any game with a mute protagonist you can infer from actions and choices. Yu is clearly more developed, and has more of an identity, but I don't think that diminishes Minato.

As far as heroes being "the One", most Persona (and in many cases SMT) characters tend to be marked by a higher power. This is especially true of any Wild Card user with the possible exception of
Aigis
?

Jintor

Minato is perfectly fine as a player avatar. As an individual character capable of his own choices, well, I guess we'll see how he's characterised in the movie. *shrug*

Even in coolness I think he only sneaks past Yu because Yu is, at heart, kind of a goofball - just one with an incredible poker face.

Jintor

Laughing Banana wants you to believe that Minato is better than Yu.

But Laughing Banana... is a banana.

Can we really trust Laughing Banana with our characters? With our character tiers? With our children's character tiers?

What don't we know... about Laughing Banana?

This ad was brought to you by Narukami for god-tier 2013

Guess Who

Banned
Narukami's design is boring in the same way that Light Yagami's design is kinda boring. Just very plain Japanese dudes. P3MC's design has way more style.

also evokers > glasses

Narukami's design is boring in the same way that Light Yagami's design is kinda boring. Just very plain Japanese dudes. P3MC's design has way more style.

also evokers > glasses
Lololololol Yu does look like Light, I never really noticed it before. Evokers are also the coolest thing EVER.
Probably because
his power got sparked relatively recently and he's never had cause to do so
Tetsuya was summoning his persona and killing humans/demons the moment he found out he had it. I hope you're though.

I do love the notion of debating superior team members when they tend to be analogues to one another. At that point it comes down to opinions of style.

Evokers are pretty silly. Theyre just phony guns with weak in story justification. I really dislike them since it makes P3 look like its trying too hard with the whole suicide and death thing.

Cards will always be better.

Jintor

Evokers are also the coolest thing EVER.

9thwonder blatantly supports the practice of shooting oneself in the head. Can we really trust 9thwonder with our character tiers? With our children's character tiers? Vote Jintor for president.

Evokers are pretty silly. Theyre just phony guns with weak in story justification.

Yo exactly. They could be pretty much anything and P3 would have played out exactly the same way.

Protagonist Tiers-

Maya Amano
Tatsuya Suou
Tamaki Uchida (inb4 who?)
Yu Narukami
P3 FemC
Boy with the Pierced Ear
P3 MC

Btw evokers are only gun shaped because Mitsuru wanted to impress Akihiko fuck yo psychological expaination gurl, ya just wanted ol Aki to go "Woah that's badass."

Evokers are pretty silly. Theyre just phony guns with weak in story justification. I really dislike them since it makes P3 look like its trying too hard with the whole suicide and death thing.

Cards will always be better.

I like evokes because of the blend of Sci fi with the supernatural. It became something a bit more than "Magic powers something something Persona" and more the merging of tech and mysticm. Aigis is an obvious extension of this theme.

Protagonist Tiers-

Maya Amano
Tatsuya Suou
Tamaki Uchida (inb4 who?)
Yu Narukami
P3 FemC
Boy with the Pierced Ear
P3 MC

Female reproductive organs raise you several tier levels?

Yup, it did. Hence where the name Minato Arisato comes from. :p

Nonsense. That's just made up fan bullcrap.

Canon fan bullcrap my friend, ya gotta live with it just like Dantis had to live with it for P4A, at least your homegirl Aigis got an upgrade out of it!

Jintor

I like evokes because of the blend of Sci fi with the supernatural. It became something a bit more than "Magic powers something something Persona" and more the merging of tech and mysticm. Aigis is an obvious extension of this theme.

Not really... it just moves the magic eight layers down. All the androids for instance are
essentially powered by Plumes of Dusk, which is to say, magic

Sophia

Canon fan bullcrap my friend, ya gotta live with it just like Dantis had to live with it for P4A, at least your homegirl Aigis got an upgrade out of it!

The Evokers are described as re-purposed guns in the art books and such. :p

Wonder what it'll be for the movie XD, the Seta Souji name got murdered by the anime and Arena.

Well, Seta Souji was kinda a bad name. It didn't really fit, and it was too close Seta Soujiro phonically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom