• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

I highly doubt Atlus are going to bet the farm on the PS4. No way will be P5 be anything but on the PS3, and maybe even the 360.

Meia

....that is an incredibly cruel article that fills me with a blinding rage.

It's bad enough we're still waiting, now someone has to say "Oh yeah, you see that Atlus thing that was on the name of devs working on PS4? Yeah, that's for persona 5, enjoy!" Sigh.

IF it was true, it would be a major boon for them, cause yeah, new systems usually go quite a bit without a new rpg. To get a numbered persona that early in a console life......

I can't see it, but now I'm excited. Dammit, I'm weak. :(

Meia

I don't WANT to get a PS4 early cause I see no reason to get one early.

...if Persona 5 is early, well. I DID buy a vita solely for Golden, a persona game I had already logged in like 300 hours for just to experience some new stuff in it. The precedent is there. I am WEAK. :p

Sophia

I find it highly unlikely that a game that's been in planning and development for four years has suddenly moved to the PS4.

And by highly unlikely, I mean impossible.

I DID buy a vita solely for Golden, a persona game I had already logged in like 300 hours for just to experience some new stuff in it.

I thought I was the only one.

If Persona 5's a launch window title for PS4, I'll be there day one. I just hope they don't change the style as drastically as P2 -> P3, since in my mind P3 and 4 are RPG--nay, video game perfection.

I bought the vita for Persona 4 too :d

Liquid.png

Meia

I would imagine any persona fan that didn't already have a vita probably did. Or seriously considered it.

I'm only pissed Gamestop screwed me out of one of the Solid Gold editions I had pre-ordered. Was supposed to get two, one for me, one for a friend, but no, incompetence in the store. :(

The online guys ALMOST cost me the other one, but they were able to get it through after their bungling cancelled the online order.

Again, was really excited about what a new character could mean. And then we got THAT. Sigh. Still, WORTH IT WOULD DO IT AGAIN.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I would imagine any persona fan that didn't already have a vita probably did. Or seriously considered it.

I'm only pissed Gamestop screwed me out of one of the Solid Gold editions I had pre-ordered. Was supposed to get two, one for me, one for a friend, but no, incompetence in the store. :(

The online guys ALMOST cost me the other one, but they were able to get it through after their bungling cancelled the online order.

Again, was really excited about what a new character could mean. And then we got THAT. Sigh. Still, WORTH IT WOULD DO IT AGAIN.

I just bought the game without having a vita. I wanted that solid gold edition. One day I'll get one but not yet.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So what's the general consensus on which game has the better soundtrack P3 or P4?

I'm quite conflicted tbh. In one hand, P4 has way more songs and the dungeon songs are amazing (although pretty short), + Your Affection is a classic. On the other hand, the highs on P3 are probably higher and I love the funky songs even more, with the Iwatodai Dorm song being one of my favorites.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I prefer the P3 soundtrack by a large margin when compared to P4. Some of the music was so well placed, such as the music during the last month and the last battle.

Mark me down on the buying a Vita for Golden group. But I also already had some PS1 and PSP games I could download from my account and my PS All-Stars digital copy so I had other stuff waiting for my Vita.

Sophia

Both soundtracks are about equally as awesome. The highs of Persona 3's soundtrack are higher, but there's more wasted music on the soundtrack. Shadow, for example, which is played a whopping total of once despite being among the best songs on either game.

PK Gaming

So what's the general consensus on which game has the better soundtrack P3 or P4?

I'm quite conflicted tbh. In one hand, P4 has way more songs and the dungeon songs are amazing (although pretty short), + Your Affection is a classic. On the other hand, the highs on P3 are probably higher and I love the funky songs even more, with the Iwatodai Dorm song being one of my favorites.

There's only one way we can settle this
DANCE OFF

VS

This is really cool and reminds me of why I love the music of these games. See, the thing about video games in general is that participatory opportunity can create a stronger connection than say, an objective ear for music fundamentals or complexity, so what people will say is "better" is likely to be intertwined with invested moments.

That said, it can be difficult to say which is better because both games had such great moments where the tone of a song matched the tone of the moment. Of course, there were some lame moments as well, but whatever.

I'd take the question even further and ask what were the favored tracks complimenting particular moments?

For me, in Persona 3, many of the tracks got better and better because of the pairing of moments. In Persona 4, this didn't happen so much, but after hearing them to a point of excogitation, they became brilliant. To me at least! Almost like leitmotifs, sort of :)

Persona 3 ending spoilers, but this track in this scene is the perfect example of why I say P3's highs were higher. It just fits the animation so perfectly, and it's a shame it's not in P3P.

This is a great example - and what the hell it's not in P3P :(

After much deliberation I declare P3's soundtrack overall superior

P4 will always have Snowflakes though ;__;

One of my favorite Persona 4 tracks is actually not a melody at all - it's the basic strumming in Japanese style to the foggy endgame. It's hauntingly mundane and yet mysterious. I think that P3 did similar things more frequently as well like that Dark Hour theme! My god, so good.

Sophia

This is a great example - and what the hell it's not in P3P :(

They changed the scene form an animation to ingame, and I guess they couldn't loop it properly or something? It's just silence through most of the scene.

Persona 4 on the other hand doesn't have nearly as many moments where it's soundtrack is used as well. Only one scene really sticks out in my head where the soundtrack hit that level of highs (P4 spoilers:
Nanako's death.
) The Animation actually did an impressive job of fixing that, thanks to tons of new lyrical songs and a better fight against the murderer.

Jintor

I actually find no part of P4Animation's non-vocal OST all that exciting except for the very finale song, and, because of it, the P4Animation Main Theme

P3 had the exam song make its grand debut.

And it has the song that plays in the Tartarus lobby.

And Burn My Dread Last Battle.

And Unavoidable Battle.

And (you get it now)

P3 soundtrack da bes

P4 soundtrack is fantastic too though.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The 26th or soon after it we are definitely getting some SMT news.

Fuck yeah, Devil Survivor 2 Record Break for 3DS <3

I'm sorry fellow Persona fans; your time will be sometime in the future.

TWILT

Banned
Much prefer Persona 4's soundtrack here. P3's is good and all, but P4's is among my top favorite OSTs ever. The Almighty >>>*

FluxWaveZ

The 26th or soon after it we are definitely getting some SMT news.

Fuck yeah, Devil Survivor 2 Record Break for 3DS <3

I'm sorry fellow Persona fans; your time will be sometime in the future.

Oh yeah, that's around that time, huh. Well, I'm interested in it since I haven't played DS2 before.

Persona news along with that sure would be nice, though.

Soma

I feel like I'm one of the only people who doesn't care for The Almighty all that much. It's good and all but I prefer The Genesis.

Though with that said, Battle for Everyone's Souls is my favorite final boss music between the two games.

Jintor

P4's is full of mondegreens because her accent is... uh... well, it's... an accent.

Lotus Juice might rap nonsense but it's mostly coherent nonsense

Jintor

Agreed.

P3P's OST is almost entirely hits. Golden only really has four songs I'd say are good, and one or two that are 'great' (Snowflakes mainly).

P3's soundtrack may be better overall, but in my opinion P4's boss themes stand head-and-shoulders above P3's.

The only boss themes I truly love in P3 are Danger Zone, The Battle for Everyone's Souls and Heartful Cry, whereas P4 has I'll Face Myself, A New World Fool, The Almighty (which is my favourite theme in the series), Fog, The Genesis, Shin Mitsuo Tensei, and Reach Out To The Truth (for minibosses).

The Voice Someone Calls and its uber-sad remix are better than Backside of the TV though.

Meia

P3's soundtrack may be better overall, but in my opinion P4's boss themes stand head-and-shoulders above P3's.

The only boss themes I truly love in P3 are Danger Zone, The Battle for Everyone's Souls and Heartful Cry, whereas P4 has I'll Face Myself, A New World Fool, The Almighty (which is my favourite theme in the series), Fog, The Genesis, Shin Mitsuo Tensei, and Reach Out To The Truth (for minibosses).

The Voice Someone Calls and its uber-sad remix are better than Backside of the TV though.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Only thing I'll add is Battle for Everyone's Souls is probably the best final boss music in any game ever, a great culmination of everything you've experienced so far with things from the Velvet Room to other fights throughout the game. Better is the times it syncs up to an awesome part just after an Arcana quote happens or something. DAMN they nailed that boss, and it still takes awhile even overleveled as hell, unlike 4.

4 is the one I have the vast majority of songs on my ipod though. Makes great gym music for me too, especially a lot of the stuff on the reincarnation track. Snowflakes though, I say damn that is one sad song, and is probably the best addition Golden had. :p

Venfayth

I was going to make a controversial post, but then I realized I'm near the bottom of a page and no one will look and see or care about it. So I'll wait.

I was going to make a controversial post, but then I realized I'm near the bottom of a page and no one will look and see or care about it. So I'll wait.

Aw, that's not entirely true! At any rate, I'll help you get to the next page since I'm always down for a good read.

Ok here's a useless story:

I was at a restaurant last night and I swear I heard the Yoshi Jump sound effect from somebody's phone. You know that "ruh roh" sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom