• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Studio Backlot (Back Side of the TV) is god tier

I won't hear a word against it

Amongst my favourite tracks on the original OST.

Nocturne's ost is clearly superior y'all

When I went back and listened to it a couple of months ago, it was a lot better than I remembered. Very, verey good, and I plan on buying the CD soon.

On the other hand, it's not a patch on either Persona 3 or 4. It's much more gamey.

Amongst my favourite tracks on the original OST.

When I went back and listened to it a couple of months ago, it was a lot better than I remembered. Very, verey good, and I plan on buying the CD soon.

On the other hand, it's not a patch on either Persona 3 or 4. It's much more gamey.

And P3/4 is much more animu, pick your poison :p

cjkeats

I pretty well agree with Dantis, 3 and 4 are pretty well equal, but P3P is just slightly better. Best female voice anyways. The Answer had my favorite end song though.
Also, P1 PSP deserves some credit too. A few good standout tracks there.

The Persona Compilation set is probably one of the best Persona things you can buy. Full OST's of 3, FES, 4, and P3P, and some fantastic cover art. I usually just put it on shuffle as I move around campus during the day.

Dantis

I pretty well agree with Dantis, 3 and 4 are pretty well equal, but P3P is just slightly better. Best female voice anyways. The Answer had my favorite end song though.
Also, P1 PSP deserves some credit too. A few good standout tracks there.

The Persona Compilation set is probably one of the best Persona things you can buy. Full OST's of 3, FES, 4, and P3P, and some fantastic cover art. I usually just put it on shuffle as I move around campus during the day.

It also has some lovely Soejima cover art. It's missing a lot of the tracks though, so I prefer the full OSTs.

I wish Soejima did original art for all the soundtracks. Doi's art for the Trauma Team OST is really neat.

P4's is full of mondegreens because her accent is... uh... well, it's... an accent.

Lotus Juice might rap nonsense but it's mostly coherent nonsense

Real talk, I always heard "So we gave a shit" in Signs of Love.

And then I found out that it wasn't the lyric.

I got kind of upset after that point.

Tamanon

Banned
I generally liked Persona 3's OST more than Persona 4, but I loved Persona 4's remix album more than P3's. Although the remix of Deep Breath, Deep Breath is pretty great.

Mainline doesn't have nearly enough dating sims, waifus, or characters talking about their boring as shit problems.

Honestly Persona helps highlight just how far behind other forms of media videos games really are. People will praise how ~deep~ and ~interesting~ the characters are, but they're still lightyears behind whatever generic teen drama is currently popular.

tumblr_mbu70921fd1r00vhmo1_500.gif

Foxix Von

So I'm taking another stab at Persona 4. I didn't exactly lose interest in it the first time but I put a pause on it while waiting for the Vita version to come out. I gotta say it's a really huge improvement. Hopefully I'll catch up to where I was before too long but the new social links are pretty fun.

I still can't bring myself to enjoy it as much as 3 though. The whole atmosphere just feels so.... off to me :( The entire tone of the game is so completely opposite from what made me really fall in love with P3 in the first place.

Meia

Yep, the two really are tonal opposites of each other. Then again, all you have to do is compare the two themes really.

Dantis

So I'm taking another stab at Persona 4. I didn't exactly lose interest in it the first time but I put a pause on it while waiting for the Vita version to come out. I gotta say it's a really huge improvement. Hopefully I'll catch up to where I was before too long but the new social links are pretty fun.

I still can't bring myself to enjoy it as much as 3 though. The whole atmosphere just feels so.... off to me :( The entire tone of the game is so completely opposite from what made me really fall in love with P3 in the first place.

This interests me. What aspects do you think are hugely improved?

Foxix Von

This interests me. What aspects do you think are hugely improved?

I'm still early in the game but there are just lots of little improvements that make for a much better experience as a whole IMO.

You can now store and purchase skills much like personas and they are obtained in the same fashion. You can manually select what skills you want to pass down during fusion. The card bonuses at the end of battles are, at least early in the game, not mini games. You just select what reward you want from the cards available, and depending on the cards available you can select more by sacrificing other rewards, such as picking a card that makes you lose money but allows you draw two more cards.

Advancing team mates social links will also now add bonus skills to their persona. Team mates now can perform combo attacks after an all out attack. This is fantastic as it usually finishes off whatever stragglers are left with a few HP.

Fusion can work the same as before but now you have the option of viewing all the possible results of fusion from your personas on hand in a single list. So rather than selecting individual personas and seeing what it makes and then backing out, changing one or two of them to see what else it makes, you now can just see a list of everything you can make. If that makes any sense.

In addition to this in dungeons you can also send out an S.O.S. to other players online, if they respond you get a, very, very small portion of your HP/SP back. It also stacks so the more people who answer you before you're next fight you get more health back. It's not much but if you're really hanging around a dungeon for a while it can help provide enough extra Dia castings to hang in the game a few more minutes. Another online function is the ability to see what the most popular things to do in a day have been. It comes in handy in the sense that I can see what the rest of the community has done that day and it helps give me an idea of what I can do as well. Which means that I'm spending less time running all over town seeing what my options are for spending time with people. I can instead just beeline to whatever sounds good.

It's... just lots of very minor changes that make for a better pick up and play experience that is also less grindey and moves at a much faster clip while still retaining much of the openness and atmosphere. The whole game just cuts the down time between seeing events, lets you hang in the dungeons longer, and allows you to more efficiently manage your relations and personas. I really hope P3 gets this kind of make over some day, hopefully without cutting the fatigue and the ability to fuck up relationships, etc. I actually really enjoyed the tedium of that game haha.

I can't really say that there's any single aspect that has been dramatically, humongously, improved, it's just that all these smaller changes add up to an experience that is far, far greater than the sum of their parts.

Just beat the final boss of P3P on Maniac. I wanted to make it more epic so I challenged it solo with Messiah.

God dang it, five years and that thing is still one of the best final bosses ever.

I bet they release that on the NA iTunes with no localization too.

That's ok, if... kind of sucks. And I don't mean that in the "I, turnipfritters, do not personally care for the trajectory of the Persona series" way I rant about P3 and P4, but like in an objective way. It is bad.

That's ok, if... kind of sucks. And I don't mean that in the "I, turnipfritters, do not personally care for the trajectory of the Persona series" way I rant about P3 and P4, but like in an objective way. It is bad.

You rant? I thought you just made snide, yet entertaining for me, remarks about the fanbase!

I played some of If. I liked it, but that's because I enjoy SMT1 and 2 so yea.

Marche90

I love those Jack Frost gifs. I still don't know why I haven't saved them, in fact

On topic of If... Well, looks like a lost GBA version of the game, which isn't really surprising considering what If is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom