• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fall 2013

BELIEVE!! ;_;

tfbR93Zl.jpg

Meia

STUPIDJERKFACEIHATEYOU.

Yes, I thought that when I saw this pic.

Not only will I learn Labrys, i will buy the game again if need be just so I can torment.

But no, I wouldn't be TOO shocked about Labrys being something that was linking, or some part of the arena story. Though Vincent in 3P was more tongue in cheek I guess and easter eggy. I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed because yeah, Labrys was handled infinitely better than Marie.

Venfayth

I liked everything about Marie.

Except for her Social Link. It is completely irrelevant. I thought her being quirky (even her doing the LOTSOFWORDSFAST thing) and having the poems was fine, but the s-link was just so out there. I get that she had to create memories or whatever, but her meeting all of your friends felt really forced.

Like, go to the megami tensei wiki and read her story there: Marie's Profile (SPOILERS)

None of her Social Link establishes any of that. I mean, I know it's all in the bonus dungeon or whatever, but come on. If you envision a Vanilla Persona 4 with just that Marie (meaning, her story as described in the Wiki) augmenting it, I think that she's an amazing addition. It just doesn't really turn out like that in Golden, though.

Dantis

I've said it before but it still holds true: If Labrys is a major part of P5, I will be very disappointed.

I'll care much less if Marie is. She was a pretty awful character in P4G, but she was inoffensive, at least.

I like Marie, but
I wish they didn't shoehorn your friends in just about every opportunity they could. Maybe once or twice it's just you and her like other S. Links are, but just about every other damn time, at least one of your friends is like "OH HAI THAR MIND IF I JOIN IN". I understand that they need to be somewhat involved or else them going to the bonus dungeon would seem somewhat unjustified, but they didn't need to shove everyone in as many of the S. Link events as they did.

Venfayth

More Marie and general P4 spoilery stuff:

After having played 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, Jungian psychology has been really interesting to me. Obviously, the Izanami/Izanagi stuff extends a bit beyond that stuff, but Marie's dungeon being overtly called the Hollow Forest was fucking cool. The concept of having a shared human consciousness is just super interesting to me. The game expanded on that heavily with Marie's ACTUAL story, which is part of why I like her so much.

I guess that's also why I was happy she was a part of the game. Because the whole TV being a representation of humanity's inner desires thing was my favorite part of the story in the vanilla game, and I felt it had too little representation during the presentation of the plot.

It's referenced very subtly in the beginning of the game, and then isn't touched again until the very end. I know that's a storytelling strategy, but IT'S MY FAVORITE PART and there's so little of it.

I'm really hoping P5 has more of it than P4 has, even counting P4G.

OK, that's enough of that for now.

Meia

I like Marie, but
I wish they didn't shoehorn your friends in just about every opportunity they could. Maybe once or twice it's just you and her like other S. Links are, but just about every other damn time, at least one of your friends is like "OH HAI THAR MIND IF I JOIN IN". I understand that they need to be somewhat involved or else them going to the bonus dungeon would seem somewhat unjustified, but they didn't need to shove everyone in as many of the S. Link events as they did.

These are my thoughts exactly when it pertains to Marie.

When I first heard they were adding a whole new character, I was really excited. At first, this could mean obvious things: A new dungeon, a new party member, a new involved social link, new scenes with her, a LOT of things. This isn't what we got.

Ultimately, it was up to them to make us care about her. They failed. Badly. Her social links were absolutely nothing to them at all. I understand that given her "story" of amnesia, they couldn't go into her past or things like that, but there were NOTHING but "Let's have the old favorite characters see how they awkwardly interact with her!" and she tries to deal with her problem, and never goes anywhere.

Of course, it doesn't go anywhere cause the whole thing is under time lock to only take place/get resolution on the new SKI TRIP, WOOOO. Even doing this can be forgiveable, but they have to do their best to make us, or the other characters, care about her. Now, this is the scoobies and they'd never let an innocent get harmed, yes. But even my ability to suspend disbelief was shot about how quickly she was friends with everyone given how little she appeared. Would it have been truly hard for her to be more involved with the investigation itself? They shoe-horn her in on your arrival to Inaba, and then lock her in the Velvet Room the whole year?

And now let's go through her dungeon! The story of it was handled well, the game balance wasn't, at all. I don't know how everyone else played these games, but even on Expert originally, by the time Izanami's dungeon came around, I curb stomped the place, then her. You can over-level fairly easily. So what do they do? Let's add another dungeon just BEFORE this one, and then not maybe bump up the levels of the shadows in Izanami's? Really? They knew this was going to be a problem, so the solution? Come up with a half-assed dungeon design where you lose half your SP at the end of every battle! F-U-N.

I can understand people hating the idea of the robot characters in this series, and I'm not going to begrudge that. But if you think Marie was handled better than Labrys, when I can actually SEE WHAT SHE GOES THROUGH AS PART OF A PERSONA GAME, you're crazy. :p

Massive wall of black text = Elizabeth Megidolaon

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Fucking hell, Nyx's health bar was completely black, so I thought I needed only one hit, and since only Junpei was alive in my party and was enraged, I decided to do a Megidola. I didn't kill the bitch and it processed to wipe me out with an almighty attack.

I almost threw the PS3 out of the window.

Fucking hell, Nyx's health bar was completely black, so I thought I needed only one hit, and since only Junpei was alive in my party and was enraged, I decided to do a Megidola. I didn't kill the bitch and it processed to wipe me out with an almighty attack.

I almost threw the PS3 out of the window.

At least this isnt what happened to you.

Spoilers and Headphone wearer's warning!: FUCKING PERSONA

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I honestly don't expect Marie or Labrys to show up in 5.

It's possible they'll be connected in some way, kinda like how 4 takes place a few years after 3. But it's not going to be a direct sequel.

I honestly don't expect Marie or Labrys to show up in 5.

It's possible they'll be connected in some way, kinda like how 4 takes place a few years after 3. But it's not going to be a direct sequel.

I NEED a game that ties up the
P2/
P3/P4 connection set up by Arena. I don't want it to be in an Arena 2 :(

Dantis

I NEED a game that ties up the
P2/
P3/P4 connection set up by Arena. I don't want it to be in an Arena 2 :(

Unlucky.

When he was developing P4, Hashino said there's no link between P3 and P4 because he doesn't want people to come in halfway through the story.

Dantis

So I was playing Maken, and I said to my brother (Completely baselessly) "You know, this is so good, I bet Katsura Hashino was a designer on it".

Check online, and yep, directed by Katsura Hashino. Further cements him as my favourite Japanese game designer. It's also made me think that if he directed a Raidou game it would be amazing.

So that's six games he's directed, all amazing. That's a pretty good track record.

Man, Persona 5 is going to be so good.

cj_iwakura

So I was playing Maken, and I said to my brother (Completely baselessly) "You know, this is so good, I bet Katsura Hashino was a designer on it".

Check online, and yep, directed by Katsura Hashino. Further cements him as my favourite Japanese game designer. It's also made me think that if he directed a Raidou game it would be amazing.

So that's six games he's directed, all amazing. That's a pretty good track record.

Man, Persona 5 is going to be so good.

It has multiple endings, fair warning. The true one is tricky to get, but it is SO worth it.

I promise you'll know if you've reached the true final battle.

Dantis

It has multiple endings, fair warning. The true one is tricky to get, but it is SO worth it.

I promise you'll know if you've reached the true final battle.

I guarantee I've ballsed it up already, haha. I was just told that "I made bad decision".

It's aged wonderfully though. The combat is incredibly solid and fair for a game from '99.

Hey, sort of old, but did you guys hear about this psu.com claiming that:

psu.com said:
Persona 5 is in development for PlayStation 4, and you should be very, very excited.

Yeah, seems like a misleading, unsubstantiated allegation. Anyway, here's the whole thing:

psu.com said:
Last week, in the aftermath of its PlayStation 4 reveal, Sony released a list of developers with PS4 projects currently in-the-works. The list is massive and amounts to over 100 studios across Asia, Japan, North America, and European territories. And it's no secret what some of these studios might be working on; high-profile names like Bethesda Softworks, ATLUS, and Gearbox Software are often associated with only one or two key brands. For some of these franchises, with regards to PS4's impending release, the timing couldn't be more perfect.

Take Bethesda Softworks, for example. Because Bethesda Softworks is marked by Sony as a PS4 developer, I'm inclined to see its spot on the list as synonymous with Bethesda Game Studios, the company's development branch and the house that Todd Howard built. So, what games has Bethesda Game Studios developed in the last decade? The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and its expansions. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and its expansions. Fallout 3 and four of its five expansions. Skyrim.

I'm ignoring IHRA Professional Drag Racing 2005 and its 2006 'Sportsman Edition' (surely, fine games in their own right), but you get the point. For the entirety of Bethesda Game Studios' existence, the developer has never worked on a triple-A franchise that isn't The Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Both franchises have received immense critical acclaim. The former put a game on store shelves in 2011. The other hasn't done so since 2008's Fallout 3 (or, if you like, 2010's Obsidian-developed Fallout: New Vegas). Guess which franchise is next in line?

With the same lens, we can see why ATLUS is poised to release Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5 on PS4. We know that Persona 5 is in development, and the last game ATLUS' "Persona Team" developed was 2011's Catherine. Furthermore, nearly every Persona game has been a PlayStation exclusive - only a 1999 Windows port of the 1996 original and an Xbox 360 port of last year's Persona 4 Arena buck the trend.

What about the main Shin Megami Tensei saga? Not likely - the fourth installment is coming to Nintendo 3DS later this year. But couldn't any number of Shin Megami Tensei spin-offs be targeted for PS4? Doubtful - these entries traditionally skew toward handheld Nintendo platforms.

Persona 5 is in development for PlayStation 4, and you should be very, very excited.

And the games just keep coming. With Aliens: Colonial Marines out of the picture and little other ownership to speak of, how could Gearbox Software not be working on Borderlands 3? FromSoftware's appearance on the list screams Dark Souls II. What could Paradox Interactive have in store but a next-gen RTS? Could Season 2 of Telltale's incredible The Walking Dead episodic series get its due on any current-gen platform?

And let's not forget Saber Interactive, who might just be constructing the sequel of sequels, a monument of machismo: Will Rock 2!

I don't mean to pigeonhole teams that hold immense talent and creative potential. But when I read between the lines of Sony's PS4 developer list, I can see the future: amazing and familiar experiences are right around the corner.

By taking a gander at Sony's list of PS4 developers, you can draw some conclusions of your own. By all means, share your predictions in the comments below or in our official forums. What developer are you most excited to behold on PS4?

http://www.psu.com/a018559/Fallout-...a-5-and-others-are-destined-for-PlayStation-4

cjkeats

psu.com said:
What about the main Shin Megami Tensei saga? Not likely - the fourth installment is coming to Nintendo 3DS later this year. But couldn't any number of Shin Megami Tensei spin-offs be targeted for PS4? Doubtful - these entries traditionally skew toward handheld Nintendo platforms.

One game and now they traditionally skew towards Nintendo handheld platforms?

That article is a whole lotta "I bet this is gonna happen" and should be taken as seriously as a forum post.

We all know P5 is going portable anyways. ;)

One game and now they traditionally skew towards Nintendo handheld platforms?

That article is a whole lotta "I bet this is gonna happen" and should be taken as seriously as a forum post.

We all know P5 is going portable anyways. ;)

I think they meant to say the "more traditional" SMT games having resided on Nintendo handhelds for the past while, in which case they're correct. Devil Survivor 1, 2 and Overclocked, Soul Hackers, and Strange Journey have all been released in the past 3 years, and before that was the popluar Last Bible and Devil Kids games on GBC.

I still think the article is fanboy dreams (which I fully endorse, by the way), but Nintendo and SMT definitely have a history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom