• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I was listening to your podcast, it gave me something to do while working on an essay so I was only half-listening but it's pretty neat and I thought I'd throw in my two cents for the stuff you were discussing.

Firstly you mentioned Chie's VA, I've seen this a number of times, some folk seem to think she sounds too old? I actually like Chie's voice, if anyone sounds too old it's Naoto... but that didn't really bother me tbh.

I agree with what you were saying about Nanako, she is a character you can get very easily attached to.

!!MAJOR SPOILERS!! (for the end of November part)

I just did this part a couple of days ago. Even before that warning letter arrives and Nanako was left home alone I just knew she was going to be kidnapped. If that wasn't bad enough that moment you think she's dead... I was dumbstruck, man. I had to keep telling myself in my head, 'she's a fictional character!' It was weird, a game, or heck, any other form of media has never managed to make me feel bad about a dead character. Maybe I'm just getting soft, lol. And when she wakes up, jeez, I actually threw down my controller and said 'Dammit game, don't do that!' Stay away from my emotions Atlus, I like them unmovable :p.

As for characters being 'relatable', at the risk of this being a soppy subject lol, are there any characters in particular that you guys find especially easy to relate to?

I find it easy to relate to Junpei (surprise, surprise) as I too have an inferiority complex and I know all too well how it feels to think that there's always someone better out there, and no matter how hard you try, you'll never reach or surpass them. Plus I can sympathize with his P3 NOVEMBER SPOILERS
loss of a lover, since my girlfriend suddenly passed two years ago. It hurts, and it feels like it'll never get better.

Maybe that's why I so vehemently defend him in so many conversations; because I see a lot of myself in him.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized how much that sounded like a sob story. I'm doing it intentionally!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hey I was listening to your podcast, it gave me something to do while working on an essay so I was only half-listening but it's pretty neat and I thought I'd throw in my two cents for the stuff you were discussing.

Firstly you mentioned Chie's VA, I've seen this a number of times, some folk seem to think she sounds too old? I actually like Chie's voice, if anyone sounds too old it's Naoto... but that didn't really bother me tbh.

I agree with what you were saying about Nanako, she is a character you can get very easily attached to.
?

Naoto is supposed to be more mature than everyone, so naturally, she should sound older.

My comment was that Chie's original VA sounded completely out of place and far too old for the character. Newer one fits better, IMO, even if she tends to flub/overact on some lines.

Meia

Yeah, the newer VA overall is better, but it's weird. I THINK they had her record the lines for the game first, as she didn't sound all the comfortable in the role during the game. The anime she was fine in, Arena she was also fine in. Just imo anyway.

I mean, I could link the "Aha, is this our chance?!" 10 min youtube vid, but most everyone here gets the point of the old VA. :p

Only annoying thing is how it works out, the game is obviously going to the place I re-hear this VA the most, so you'd think they'd make sure it was damn near perfect, like the new Teddie was. Ah well.

And yep, so far I think games have done young characters right once so far, and that's Nanako. To be fair, trying to get the Walking Dead out of my backlog(just started), and everyone raves about Clementine with that, so there may be two to me by the end of it. :p

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Finally beat Nyx on hard. I wanna cry.

The past part with burn my dread playing on the background was awesome.

Now I'm starting The Answer.

Astra

Naoto is supposed to be more mature than everyone, so naturally, she should sound older.

My comment was that Chie's original VA sounded completely out of place and far too old for the character. Newer one fits better, IMO, even if she tends to flub/overact on some lines.

Naoto's way of texting was more annoying than Rise's. Wasn't very mature and conflicted with her maturity.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Naoto's way of texting was more annoying than Rise's. Wasn't very mature and conflicted with her maturity.

I was actually surprised they had her text like that, I was expecting correct grammar and everything not: SENPAI THERE IS A MOVIE PLAYING LET'S GO SEE IT

Or whatever it was she texted, I'm pretty sure it was on cruise control.

Dantis

Like a lot of the new Golden content, I felt that the text's were more fan-servicey than anything else. It was like they said "What's this character like on a completely base level? Let's make them type like that!". Rather than, you know, give it some actual thought.

I was actually surprised they had her text like that, I was expecting correct grammar and everything not: SENPAI THERE IS A MOVIE PLAYING LET'S GO SEE IT

IT IS BECAUSE SHE IS ROBOTIC AND MONOTONE. BY TYPING IN CAPS NO EMOTION OR PERSONALITY CAN BE CONVEYED.

Like a lot of the new Golden content, I felt that the text's were more fan-servicey than anything else. It was like they said "What's this character like on a completely base level? Let's make them type like that!". Rather than, you know, give it some actual thought.

IT IS BECAUSE SHE IS ROBOTIC AND MONOTONE. BY TYPING IN CAPS NO EMOTION OR PERSONALITY CAN BE CONVEYED.

I do agree some of the texting was silly, but not every moment of the game has to be about deepness and have complete thought into it. Every game should take a break once and a while.

I dunno, I personally thought that Kanji and especially Teddie's styles of texting were hilarious. Kanji because he's apparently the only member of the group with perfect grammar, spelling and etiquette, and Teddie because it's pretty much what I would imagine a bear texting.

PK Gaming

I dunno, I personally thought that Kanji and especially Teddie's styles of texting were hilarious. Kanji because he's apparently the only member of the group with perfect grammar, spelling and etiquette, and Teddie because it's pretty much what I would imagine a bear texting.

Haha this blew me away when I first saw it

Dantis

I do agree some of the texting was silly, but not every moment of the game has to be about deepness and have complete thought into it. Every game should take a break once and a while.

It was more an observation than anything. Whilst I would personally prefer them to stay in character all the time, I have no doubt that some people will have found those text messages hilarious.

Astra

Haha, it's true. "SENPAI ARE YOU FREE Y/N? PLZ REPLY ASAP"
So impersonal.

So yeah, I generally like some amount of fan-service, but I didn't like Naoto's texts at all. I 100% expect Rise to text the way she does.

cj_iwakura

I am loooving The Answer. As hardcore as Persona 3/4 gets.

You can never take it lightly. (Having A State of Trance from Ultra streaming makes it all the better.)

cjkeats

Haha, it's true. "SENPAI ARE YOU FREE Y/N? PLZ REPLY ASAP"
So impersonal.

So yeah, I generally like some amount of fan-service, but I didn't like Naoto's texts at all. I 100% expect Rise to text the way she does.

I think Naoto's are pretty accurate. I mean she don;t really have friends other than the gang, I don't think she's too familiar with texting friends. It reminds me of the way a parent would text.

I am loooving The Answer. As hardcore as Persona 3/4 gets.

You can never take it lightly. (Having A State of Trance from Ultra streaming makes it all the better.)

Now you get my stance on The Answer. I love it just as much, if not more than The Journey. Pure rpg action.

I liked the ending at least, and Brand New Days is up there with the best credits songs in the series.

Naw son, even with my apparent anti P3 stance I have goin for me, I can't deny The Journey's credits song is just fantastic. Can't be topped. Has any game in the series, bar P1 had a bad credits song?

BTW, I loved P4's break from the darkness, but now I want the
Steaks
raised for P5. I want character deaths, dark themes, sacrifice, you know, the works. Lets fuck the Persona universe up a little again!

Naw son, even with my apparent anti P3 stance I have goin for me, I can't deny The Journey's credits song is just fantastic. Can't be topped. Has any game in the series, bar P1 had a bad credits song?

Steaks
raised for P5. I want character deaths, dark themes, sacrifice, you know, the works. Lets fuck the Persona universe up a little again!

I like this idea a lot.

Dantis

Steaks

In terms of tone, I want things to be more like Catherine (Probably not going to happen). A combination of darkness and humour.

I'd also appreciate the art to take more of a Catherine direction than a P4G one. P4G and Arena are easily the most cartoony of all the styles Soejima has used.

In terms of tone, I want things to be more like Catherine (Probably not going to happen). A combination of darkness and humour.

I'd also appreciate the art to take more of a Catherine direction than a P4G one. P4G and Arena are easily the most cartoony of all the styles Soejima has used.

You said it yourself, Soejima is constantly changing and evolving. No one knows what style they are gonna try next. Same for Meguro, I dont think anyone expected Strange Journey's ost.

cjkeats

P3 didnt rely so much on vocals, P4 felt a little bit overreliant. How do you feel about Other Megaten's osts then btw.

I love the Megaten OSTs, but I've rarely had the urge to listen to them outside of the games the way I'm always listening to the Persona soundtracks.

But that probably is just based on my taste in music.

Dantis

id prefer less songs with vocals for a change. The battle theme can still have vocals tho.

Personally, I love the vocal tracks. I wouldn't mind either vocal or instrumental though, besides the opening and ending songs, which I would absolutely prefer to be vocal.

P3 didnt rely so much on vocals, P4 felt a little bit overreliant. How do you feel about Other Megaten's osts then btw.

This is absolutely not true. If anything, P3 had MORE vocal tracks.

Also, I always thought it was "We'll sacrifice the son of Heaven" too.

Personally, I love the vocal tracks. I wouldn't mind either vocal or instrumental though, besides the opening and ending songs, which I would absolutely prefer to be vocal.

This is absolutely not true. If anything, P3 had MORE vocal tracks.

Also, I always thought it was "We'll sacrifice the son of Heaven" too.

Well yea, it had more vocals, but P3 was rap, rap relies on both the flow of the beat and of the rapper. P4 basically only has the lyrics to dictate the mood.

cjkeats

What's everyones favorite song from the series...if you can actually pick just one?

Mine is probably the opening to FES, but according to my iTunes most played I've listened to True Story more than I'd like to admit.

Meia

I liked the Answer, and it wasn't too bad if you had a good start and knew what you were doing with fusing.

...what I find unforgivable, however, was not having
Metis taped into your party from the get-go. Went through all the Answer without nary a problem, got the last few boss fights, and the game goes "OH YOU DIDN'T USE METIS LAWL START OVER."
Screw that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom