• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

ok

one of y'all is gonna have to explain that whole Ayane/Tegan and Sara thing to me because I literally have no clue

Ayane Matsunaga

If you do the social link, you'll learn that Ayane Matsunaga likes apples, loves the color red, has a skin condition where her face becomes really red like an apple, and people make fun of her head looking like an apple.

I really like the additions that they added to her in P4G, especially the fully voiced dialogue because I think that her VO is great and has a distinctive voice.

Also this awesome picture:

we.are.the.armada said:
QCRCW.jpg

ok

one of y'all is gonna have to explain that whole Ayane/Tegan and Sara thing to me because I literally have no clue

I knew a girl that liked Tegan and Sara, kind of reminded me of Apple. IIRC it was the hair, so when I made that photoshop, I sort of incorporated it in.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
You should do an entire podcast in that voice, we'll even help you clean up the band room after practice.

No no no, we want to GET listeners, not drive them away. :p

Also, I heard somewhere that Apple is one of Soejima's favorite characters. I like her too, after playing P4G. I'm jealous that her VO is practically in love with jello now... grrrr...

She knows talent then. :O

Wait, aren't those two statements contradictory? LOL

PK Gaming

Just got through one of Persona 3's major hurdles

I defeated the 12th shadow. Honestly, Shuji's defection was so obvious. I don't know about you guys, but it was clear that he was evil. Perhaps I must have accessed the morphogenic field or i was spoiled in a past life. I always knew deep down he'd be evil...

The Takuya / Jin confrontation was awesome, I LOVE rivals. Seriously, even if Takuya is the sole reason why Shinji's in a comma, he's still got this flair that makes him likeable. I hope he reappears again, but my gut tells me he will.

I still don't get why Shuj claims he "tricked" the protagonists into doing his work for him. Sure, defeating the 12 shadows melds them together and somehow causes the armeggedon, but what the hell, the alternative isn't much better! The shadows wreak havoc on the world and apathy syndrome spreads even more. I know, the lives of a few aren't worth the entire planet, but damn the game needs stop trying to guiltrip my ass, like SEES did anything wrong ~_~.

Dantis

I swear to god Dantis I don't see what you see in Cloud Atlas. Is there a hook I'm missing? Just wrapped it.

Really? Aw man. :(

I feel like there isn't really much to 'get'. Maybe it just wasn't the story for you, haha.

I loved it because
it was basically the story of six people across time, who are all the same soul reincarnated over and over. As the book progresses you start to see the familiar themes emerge, particularly the theme of people controlling people. In each of the plots, the main character is fighting against someone else who is trying to control them, and each story ends with their redemption. With Adam Ewing's final monologue, he summarises everything that's to come in his own future, but also the futures of his next lives, and his resolve to change the world is kind of 'the beginning of everything'. In the second to last story, Sonmi finally achieves a significant change to the world, and kind of 'succeeds', right? And then in the final story, the soul is no longer the lead character, because the soul is Meronym, so it's like, having succeeded, has kind of ascended, and is no longer the focal point of the story.

Besides that, I thought that the writing itself was superb, and spotting the ways that the stories tied together gave you hints that there was something grander in the works (Such as Luisa Rey's fear of guns, because Frobisher shot himself, and the deja vu when Sonmi's car falls off the bridge). A lot of the stories stand fine in their own right, and I could have easily read a full book about Sonmi.

I also thought the final three pages was one of the most well written, uplifting pieces of literature that I've ever read.

Jintor

So did I but for me they came out of nowhere, or to put it another way, the entire book didn't feel like it was building towards that moment in a satisfying emotional way. I put together all the stuff and it feels, how would you say, mechanically very well-constructed but I didn't feel like in any of the stories like there was a very satisfying 'hook' to it that got me into them. I liked some more than others - Sonmi and Frobisher's especially - and the way they all interlocked was really great, but I have to say from the text itself I didn't really obtain too much of a sense of
reincarnation or the eternal soul or whatever and it was only when I sat down and thought about it a bit more I got any of that.

Like, it's the feeling I get when I can tell something is well-made but it doesn't do anything for me.

Uncle AJ

Re: Podcast

Not bad guys. You already know about the audio issues so I won't retread those. But listening to it made me antsy to get in on the conversation, and that's the first sign of a good podcast.

I've been producing a general gaming podcast for about 3 years now (shameless plug: World 8), but we're pretty close to putting it out to pasture. However I'll still be paying for the hosting to keep the site and episodes online, and there's still plenty of space. So I'd be more than happy to offer hosting future S.Link FM episodes.

I also have experience with setting up an RSS feed for iTunes if you're interested. I would recommend it since it's much easier to subscribe to a feed and have new episodes download as they go up instead of checking this thread for download links.

Even if you don't want to go the subscription route, I'd still recommend filling out the ID3 tags at the very least. I put the MP3 on my Android but I couldn't find it in my list of songs or podcasts because of the lack of info. This is also something I'd be happy to take care of, though really, it's nothing more complicated than right-clicking the file, filling out some text boxes, and clicking Save.

And hey Armada: I saw you scheming with Dacidbro on Twitter. I wan't in on that episode! P4A is my shit right now. I hope it's not too soon; I'll be gone for Final Round starting Thursday. If it's happening Tuesday or Wednesday though I can be on it.

Levito

Banned
Re: Podcast

Not bad guys. You already know about the audio issues so I won't retread those. But listening to it made me antsy to get in on the conversation, and that's the first sign of a good podcast.

I've been producing a general gaming podcast for about 3 years now (shameless plug: World 8), but we're pretty close to putting it out to pasture. However I'll still be paying for the hosting to keep the site and episodes online, and there's still plenty of space. So I'd be more than happy to offer hosting future S.Link FM episodes.

I also have experience with setting up an RSS feed for iTunes if you're interested. I would recommend it since it's much easier to subscribe to a feed and have new episodes download as they go up instead of checking this thread for download links.

Even if you don't want to go the subscription route, I'd still recommend filling out the ID3 tags at the very least. I put the MP3 on my Android but I couldn't find it in my list of songs or podcasts because of the lack of info. This is also something I'd be happy to take care of, though really, it's nothing more complicated than right-clicking the file, filling out some text boxes, and clicking Save.

And hey Armada: I saw you scheming with Dacidbro on Twitter. I wan't in on that episode! P4A is my shit right now. I hope it's not too soon; I'll be gone for Final Round starting Thursday. If it's happening Tuesday or Wednesday though I can be on it.

The mixing issue has already been addressed, that was a shortcoming on my part, I reuploaded it with proper mixing and that mistake will not happen again. Have to remember to edit with headphones in mind. :p

We're already looking into creating a wordpress blog for the podcast, and getting an RSS feed up and running. I'm reading up on ID3 tagging the podcast itself properly too, and getting it on itunes. Thanks for the offer on the hosting, we'll keep it in mind. :)

Thanks for the feedback! If you really want in on a particular episode just let me or Armada know.

I'm going to be capping the podcast out at 4 people per episode, my experience with Rely's podcast as taught me having more than 4 people in a Skype call results in Skype shitting itself.

Next episode is being recorded this Friday with Armada, Jello, Inorigo, and myself.

But for serious news, Devil Survivor 2 Break Record is supposed to be in Famitsu this week, and I figure a few of you cats might be interested in it, so please look forward to it. Let's all kill ourselves when all the enemies are 3D models.

But for serious news, Devil Survivor 2 Break Record is supposed to be in Famitsu this week, and I figure a few of you cats might be interested in it, so please look forward to it. Let's all kill ourselves when all the enemies are 3D models.

Fucking, if they gave DeSu 2 3d and not SMT4, god damn it man......shit.

Trigger

I'm here for it. DeSu 2's cast was pretty cute.

Fucking, if they gave DeSu 2 3d and not SMT4, god damn it man......shit.

Back when it was first announced, there were rumors that the characters in the story sequences were 3D models (ala Ace Attorney 5), so who knows.

I haven't finished Survivor 2 because I got to a battle on Day 7 and like there was so much stuff to crack I didn't feel like sitting down and trying to work out the logistics.

Marche90

Looking forward to it.

But I doubt that the enemies will be 3D. I think that they will only update the human characters to 3D models, and maybe the field

Back when it was first announced, there were rumors that the characters in the story sequences were 3D models (ala Ace Attorney 5), so who knows.

I haven't finished Survivor 2 because I got to a battle on Day 7 and like there was so much stuff to crack I didn't feel like sitting down and trying to work out the logistics.

It was ok, Devil Survivor 1 was better, even if it started out bad, it got more...megateny after like day 2.

It was ok, Devil Survivor 1 was better, even if it started out bad, it got more...megateny after like day 2.

The biggest problems I had with Survivor 2 was all the death scenes seemed to exist solely for shock value (while in Survivor 1 if you saw someone die a bloody death it meant that shit just got real) and that the characters never really seemed to grasp the situation they were in. Like in 1, the situation keeps rapidly deteriorating and riots start breaking out and more demons are running around and your old friends start cracking under the pressure, but in 2, everyone seems pretty chill the whole way through. Even when the stakes are revealed, they seem awfully blase about it.

Big props to making the SLink system more bearable though!

The biggest problems I had with Survivor 2 was all the death scenes seemed to exist solely for shock value (while in Survivor 1 if you saw someone die a bloody death it meant that shit just got real) and that the characters never really seemed to grasp the situation they were in. Like in 1, the situation keeps rapidly deteriorating and riots start breaking out and more demons are running around and your old friends start cracking under the pressure, but in 2, everyone seems pretty chill the whole way through. Even when the stakes are revealed, they seem awfully blase about it.

Big props to making the SLink system more bearable though!

Yea, you don't do much surviving in Devil Survivor 2. You and your crew are safe pretty much at the middle of day 1, you and your crew are chillin with a secret government agency led by a brooding white haired teenager miles underground with trams to and from all the important locations. You have nice comfy beds. In Devil Survivor 1, you and your crew sleep in the cemetery man.

Marche90

I hope that whenever Devil Survivor 3 comes out, they mix the better characteristics of DeSu1 & 2 (Fate system, not-so-comfy survivors that are in the winning team from the beginning, etc etc)

And PLEASE! start using 3D models...

I just bought persona 2 innocent sin

This better live up to the hype

Im holding all y'all praising it constantly accountable

I'm gonna be straight up with you, I like the gameplay (not the neutered difficulty) quite a bit. I am the minority there though. If you can deal with what most consider mediocre, grindy, and random battle intensive gameplay, you are in for the best characters and story of the series.

Also, the first dungeon is one of the worse dungeons in the game for the smash all the clocks bit, try not to judge until you pass that part, also P2EP had a way better beginning dungeon
even if it's the same dungeon

Atlus Japan is hinting that they might be announcing the fifth game in a popular series in this week's famitsu.

The thing I love about this site is, the trolling is top notch. Simply top notch.

I just bought persona 2 innocent sin

This better live up to the hype

Im holding all y'all praising it constantly accountable

Now now, let's positive thinking, ok? Just play on Easy, most of the use of the character building and battle strategy is gone in this version. Also, buttfuck crazy. Lots of it.

Im sure p2 will be fine, and yeah ill probably play on easy. Just need something for my commute since Im kind of getting bored of fire emblem and my vita could use some love

Was almost considering getting Persona 1 again since I only have the umd version and I cant stand hearing that drive...but then I thought I should put that ten bucks toward eternal punishment instead?

cj_iwakura

Im sure p2 will be fine, and yeah ill probably play on easy. Just need something for my commute since Im kind of getting bored of fire emblem and my vita could use some love

Was almost considering getting Persona 1 again since I only have the umd version and I cant stand hearing that drive...but then I thought I should put that ten bucks toward eternal punishment instead?

Persona 2
Innocent Sin
is a very easy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom