• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

and Eternal Punishment is.....punishing in comparison.

Yep. It wasn't easy prior, but at around the 35 hour mark either my luck of not bothering to grind ran out or things truly get challenging because I could not get past the first boss on the Torifune. That's when I realized that not only is it important to not be underleveled in that game, but that Persona selection is extremely important when it comes to that game.

Makes me want Persona 5 to either have each party member able to change Personas or actively switch in battle ala FFX.

cj_iwakura

I have an American account, it's just the effort of spending $20 to play a PS1 game.

I even found somewhere where you can get a $20 card online, but even so...

A PS1 game that's easily worth that and more. It has two different routes! And an optional boss if you clear those.

cj_iwakura

I'm so hyped for the Soul Hackers thread I wish I could post it now. :D

I'll just have to settle for working on it. Armada outdid himself.

I'm so hyped for the Soul Hackers thread I wish I could post it now. :D

I'll just have to settle for working on it. Armada outdid himself.

I'm so excited too! This will be my first time playing Soul Hackers and I'll get some time the weekend before it launches to finish up Strange Journey. Whew, so much fusion :)

Trigger

Did someone say Spookies?

image.php

After 50+ hours, I finally finished Persona 3p as the male protagonist.

what a sad fucking ending. all that work and his friends' memories about him fade. Still in disbelief about that ending :(

I should probably get a ps2 now since FES is apparently fubar on psn...

FluxWaveZ

what a sad fucking ending. all that work and his friends' memories about him fade. Still in disbelief about that ending :(

Wait, what? Is that really how P3P ends? Because that's just a part of the ending in P3FES before things change.

Sophia

I should probably get a ps2 now since FES is apparently fubar on psn...

.... are you sure you got the true ending? It sounds like you got the bad ending.

Wait, what? Is that really how P3P ends? Because that's just a part of the ending in P3FES before things change.

No it's not. P3P has the exact same ending as The Journey in FES on your first playthrough, minus animation cutscenes.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah. The credits roll and ask me to create a new save.

Are you sure that
the characters' memories of the promise they made to meet at the graduation doesn't come back and shortly after the P3MC dies in Aigis' lap?

If that's really the case, I had no idea. Maybe that's how the original P3 ended, but the FES ending is the one taken as canon going from P4 and P4A.

No it's not. P3P has the exact same ending as The Journey in FES on your first playthrough, minus animation cutscenes.

Ha, well never mind then. Can't be the true ending unless hairypeckpeck misunderstood what was going on.

.... are you sure you got the true ending? It sounds like you got the bad ending.

I probably did...

i fought nyx and everything. Was I supposed to do something else?

Mobile edit:

all of their memories come back and meet on the roof and mitsuru jumps off stage to run to him.

Sophia

Are you sure that
the characters' memories of the promise they made to meet at the graduation doesn't come back and shortly after the P3MC dies in Aigis' lap?

If that's really the case, I had no idea. Maybe that's how the original P3 ended, but the FES ending is the one taken as canon going from P4 and P4A.

Original P3 ends the same way as FES. The new content doesn't kick in until you select The Answer from the main menu.

I probably did...

i fought nyx and everything. Was I supposed to do something else?

That sounds right then. Guess you just weren't paying attention or something?

Everyone regained their memories in the auditorium and met him on roof on graduation day, right as he passed away. They all do remember him.

Mobile edit:

all of their memories come back and meet on the roof and mitsuru jumps off stage to run to him.

Yup, that's right. Okay then... CRISIS AVERTED. >_>;

Original P3 ends the same way as FES.

Yup, that's right. Okay then... CRISIS AVERTED. >_>;

Sorry!

Just replayed the ending again and everything makes sense now. I still can't get over the ending though...

Ended up youtubing the ending since I didnt think I'd have enough patience to go through new game+ just to
die in mitsuru's lap (since I maxed out her s-link) and the ending is still depressing as fuck :(

Even though everyone remembers everything, it sucks that it all occurs right before you die.

I'm downloading persona 1 and 2 on psn while they have that sale going on.

If anything, I'll still get a ps2 for FES.

Sophia

The Answer is pretty difficult, you might want to YouTube the cutscenes if you're not up for a challenge. I do recommend it tho seeing as it fills in so much of the story.

cj_iwakura

The Answer is pretty difficult, you might want to YouTube the cutscenes if you're not up for a challenge. I do recommend it tho seeing as it fills in so much of the story.

That's the biggest appeal of The Answer, it's straight-up P3 Master Quest.

Just when I get used to the trio bosses, I get to fight a Super Minotaur and get rocked. :(

Sophia

That's the biggest appeal of The Answer, it's straight-up P3 Master Quest.

Just when I get used to the trio bosses, I get to fight a Super Minotaur and get rocked. :(

If I could pick which skills are inherited and had direct party control, I'd have no issues with The Answer.

Or just bring back the compendium.

How bad are the issues on the psn version?

I saw the video with the weird lighting but I'd only be playing the answer part of the game.

Hey guys, I have a question:

• How do players that favor the older P1, P2IS, and P2EP feel about the direction that Persona as a series has gone? Left behind? Not represented or catered to? Can you explain why?

Here's another question for anybody that wants to reiterate their opinion:

• What do you want from Persona 5?

The general consensus is:
  1. a bleak setting with more adults and
  2. a more menacing and ambitious villain
  3. no more robot girls

I was fine with P4's lighthearted tone, and I'd love to see it return. I just like happy things in general.

What I want to see returning:

1. Elemental/One More battle system
    Social Links having better payoff (i.e. Awakened Personae)
    Choice of gender
    Costumes
    Weapon crafting
    Bosses connected to characters
    Three tiers of Persona
    Streamlined fusion & inheritence
    Ability to buy Skill Cards

• What do you want from Persona 5?

Something that would actively mess around with the real world. I really love the rumor/reality dynamic in P2:IS 20 hours in. Really strange how you can even lose certainty in past events because of the way rumors come true.
Particularly how the gang was rumored to be the initiators of the Masked Circle. And then boom, they are. But can we even be sure that that's how history really was? Maybe that's explained later in the game.

Aside from that, which would simply result in a more menacing world, I want whatever Meguro's doing. The man can do no wrong. The soundtracks are like 70% of the reason why I love P3 and P4. Maybe he'll go for a darker jazz style this time around.

cjkeats

Not sure that's true. I'm a fan of P2.

Maybe a bit of a generalization. Maybe more accurate to say mainline SMT fans. But yeah, every time the tone of P5 is brought up, there's a loud vocal group who want Megaten levels of dreary. Which is the complete opposite of what I would want. The fun tone of P4 was perfect.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe a bit of a generalization. Maybe more accurate to say mainline SMT fans. But yeah, every time the tone of P5 is brought up, there's a loud vocal group who want Megaten levels of dreary. Which is the complete opposite of what I would want. The fun tone of P4 was perfect.

I enjoyed the tone in P4 and how it balanced lighthearted moods with serious ones (kotatsu -> hospital, for example), but I don't want the same thing in P5 because it's been done already. What I want the most from P5, I think, is something different.

I agree. The light tone made the dark moments seem all the more darker, whereas in P3 so much bleakness is thrown at you at once that you become almost desensitized to it.

What I want is the tone of P4 with dark moments on-par with November in 3 or select parts of SMT:N, and without the moral grinded into our brains as hard.

THE TRUTH THE TRUTH THE TRUTH THE TRUTH THE TRUTH THE TRUTH THE TRUTH THE TRUTH THE TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTH

Meia

3 was no less heavy handed with it's theme of that game.

DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH

Seriously, there was maybe 1 or 2 Slinks in that game that didn't have that somewhere in it. It's fine and it fits the theme, but the same people that say 4 was all sunshine and lollipops have to understand 3 was the same way, just with it's theme.

For me, I liked the happy tone of 4, but there's no reason to have more of the same, really. I don't believe we need to go from one extreme to the other here, some kind of middle ground would be just fine. While 4 was my favorite, I can also say that it could have been darker in tone if they wanted it to be. You ARE going after a murderer after all. They're high school students, not really soldiers or conditioned as such like 3's cast. They're also facing they're most embarrassing and humiliating aspects of themselves, there could be some kind of PTSD in there somewhere if they wanted to. Like I said, didn't fit the tone, but there's no reason a new game can't go for some middle ground when the situations can present themselves.

One of the things that always kind of stood out in 4 was considering how happy go lucky it is, none of the gang come near the end of the year to the MC's house or something, just because? More could have been done in that regard. For a game that prides itself on friendships and links, the few times the game kind of stands back and leaves you on your own when it probably SHOULDN'T really glare out at you.

Then again, this leads to what I really want out of 5: More importance with the links, and not always in an optional capacity. At the very least if you're romantically linked with someone, they themselves don't think to stop by to see how you're doing if situations in the story clearly call they should? You know, that kind of thing. I can say I want something totally different too, but they've kind of gone on both opposite sides of the spectrum here(like, extreme opposites), so where else is there to go that's totally different at this point? :p

3 was no less heavy handed with it's theme of that game.

DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH

Seriously, there was maybe 1 or 2 Slinks in that game that didn't have that somewhere in it. It's fine and it fits the theme, but the same people that say 4 was all sunshine and lollipops have to understand 3 was the same way, just with it's theme.

Maybe its just me but I'm hard pressed to think of more than a small handful of links that actually deal with the idea of death in Persona 3. I didn't do a lot of them, but at least off the top of my head I can think of the Sun S. Link and...

That's it.

Like I said, I might be wrong, it might just be me, but that's what I remember.

A lot of the S. Links in that game just deal with shitty prospects it seems, but I really can't remember all that many focused on death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom