• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't think of anything other than maybe being able to establish a relationship with characters of the same sex. Persona and Bully are very different games in both theme and setting.

Oh, and maybe having class segments be something more dynamic than buttoning through lines of educative and/or boring lines of dialogue and being expected to either memorize what the teacher said when they inevitably ask a question or have knowledge about obscure crap you'll most likely look up on the internet to answer.

Did Bully have segmented times of day like Persona? Were the NPCs dynamic in their daily routines? Could you get a part time job in Bully?

Trigger

Did Bully have segmented times of day like Persona? Were the NPCs dynamic in their daily routines? Could you get a part time job in Bully?

The time in Bully was real-time ala Grand Theft Auto. You could do missions and minigames for cash, but there weren't jobs like Persona. NPCs were pretty dynamic. You could always stumble upon some kid being bullied or two nps talking.

cj_iwakura

Any thoughts on this boss in Answer? The giant minotaur after Junpei's flashback.

It uses Akasha Arts and spams Magarudyne. Thinking Aigis, Metis, and taking away Junpei to bring in Yukari.
(My team thus far was Aigis/Metis/Junpei/Mitsuru)

The time in Bully was real-time ala Grand Theft Auto. You could do missions and minigames for cash, but there weren't jobs like Persona. NPCs were pretty dynamic. You could always stumble upon some kid being bullied or two nps talking.

NPCs on a dynamic schedule that corresponds to a real-time world would be neat in the next Persona.

So was Bully taking place in the 80s? He didn't have a cell phone right?

Trigger

NPCs on a dynamic schedule that corresponds to a real-time world would be neat in the next Persona.

So was Bully taking place in the 80s? He didn't have a cell phone right?

Correct. He doesn't have a cellphone, but they never say when the story takes place IIRC. There's a few things like the Greasers and the Rich Kids that do seem reminiscent of older American stereotypes.

FluxWaveZ

Not too sure about that. It works in Bully because it's an open-world/sandbox game so having NPCs act dynamically along with dynamic time change works. However, static time works well with P3 and P4 because they are JRPGs, so a player's interaction with an NPC is really just dialogue and that's it. Maybe having the NPCs be at different places randomly could be interesting, but that could be a source of frustration if you want to find someone for something like a side-mission or a Social Link but you can't because everything is randomized, which could potentially lead to chaos.

I like certain things they did within the confines of static time in Golden like having certain characters in the Shopping District at night or different characters able to go on a trip on different days. Static time is also necessary for something like the Vox Populi system, which I enjoyed.

Correct. He doesn't have a cellphone, but they never say when the story takes place IIRC. There's a few things like the Greasers and the Rich Kids that do seem reminiscent of older American stereotypes.

I'd love to text/call a S.Link and talk to them. Would be a nice way to develop characters. In P3/P4, people text/call you and not much happens, which is nothing like my interactions with friends.

Not too sure about that. It works in Bully because it's an open-world/sandbox game so having NPCs act dynamically along with dynamic time change works. However, static time works well with P3 and P4 because they are JRPGs, so a player's interaction with an NPC is really just dialogue and that's it. Maybe having the NPCs be at different places randomly could be interesting, but that could be a source of frustration if you want to find someone for something like a side-mission or a Social Link but you can't because everything is randomized, which could potentially lead to chaos.

I like certain things they did within the confines of static time in Golden like having certain characters in the Shopping District at night or different characters able to go on a trip on different days. Static time is also necessary for something like the Vox Populi system, which I enjoyed.

Haha, well I guess I want a Persona game that is somewhat open-world/sandbox.

The only Vox Populi that I know is a Mars Volta song, what are you talking about?

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, beat it 3 times. Never used that thing once!

I see. To me, that was one of the most interesting additions they made in Persona 4 Golden because not only was it helpful for me to determine certain things I could or could not do during a certain day, but I also like seeing what the majority did as well as weird outliers like people who just went home immediately.

Given that the Persona Team implemented something very similar in Catherine with the global percentages of the answers each player chose, I think it's fair to say Persona 5 will also have such a feature.

tumblr_mk7hvqETVD1rn9ge0o1_500.jpg

Sophia

I see. To me, that was one of the most interesting additions they made in Persona 4 Golden because not only was it helpful for me to determine certain things I could or could not do during a certain day, but I also like seeing what the majority did as well as weird outliers like people who just went home immediately.

Given that the Persona Team implemented something very similar in Catherine with the global percentages of the answers each player chose, I think it's fair to say Persona 5 will also have such a feature.

I don't know how quite to phrase this since I haven't really thought the idea out, but with the game taking place in High School, and with the ideas of rumors and gossip being central to the series, I think the Vox Populli stuff could be great if they expanded it to make the entire game somehow social, like multiplayer social. The best way I can think of is something like an in-world Facebook or Twitter equivalent, where when you start the game, you are given your account, and your account exists in the game, and every other player who owns the game has an account that exists in theirs and your world as well. And somehow that all ties directly into the game, where players can spread rumors, help each other out, and have some impact on each others' games without direct multiplayer or, really, even knowing who was on the other side of the account. That way, you can see what everyone else did that day, read some tips from players, discuss the characters in the game, and maybe spreading rumors (if it like 2 in that regard). I have no idea if any of this makes sense or sounds like an interesting idea, but I think it would fit within the universe of the series and be a unique take on the franchise. I dunno.

cjkeats

Omikaru

A bit of an exaggeration, but Aniplex of America are monsters. Their last few releases have been insanely priced. Examples, Bakemonogatari, $189, Nisemonogatari, $149, OreImo, $329, Fate/Zero, vol 1 $498, vol 2 $464.

This being a movie, it probably won't be TOO bad, but still more than the average movie. I'm waiting to see how they price the Madoka movies to get a good idea.

Trying to bring Japanese prices to America, I see. Hope that doesn't cross the pond.

Then again, I don't think Aniplex -- or their chosen regional distributors -- actually releases much Blu-ray stuff over here. Most if not all of it is just DVD only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom