• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

If anything that illustrates my issue more. Sure, the lunacy of who the opponent is probably some of the best crazy in video games, but it's still so ridiculously slow, like most rpgs of the time.

It's not even that slow in the original Playstation version. I can think of several RPGs a loooot slower than Persona 2.

cj_iwakura

He walked right into it.

If anything that illustrates my issue more. Sure, the lunacy of who the opponent is probably some of the best crazy in video games, but it's still so ridiculously slow, like most rpgs of the time.

I've said this a dozen times, but you can't really judge a classic game because of how well or poorly it's aged. It's subjective. What might be tedium to you now because you're ten years late doesn't mean it was any less good then, or even now to some.

Dantis

NORIAKI AKITAYA IS DIRECTING!?! Holy shit.

Makoto Yuki tho? Hmm, I could get used to that.

I haven't watched the trailer yet, just the director has got me hyped.

Let's pretend I don't understand his relevance for a second. Is this good?

The online is not dead on the PS3. You can still get plenty of ranked and player matches.

You are literally the only person I've ever seen say this. Everyone else says it's completely dead, particularly ranked.

Sophia

Let's pretend I don't understand his relevance for a second. Is this good?

Yes, it's good. He's a newer director, but he did the Bakuman anime adaptation which was very faithful and was handled well. He also directed many of the better episodes of Code Geass, for example.

You are literally the only person I've ever seen say this. Everyone else says it's completely dead, particularly ranked.

I was playing ranked a few days ago and there was an average of 5-6 opponents at any given time, and all my lobbies fill up fast unless it's like 4 AM.

cj_iwakura

Agreed, P4A's online is far from dead.

BlazBlue's still going, shoot.

Also, PSA: Soul Hackers will apparently be available at midnight at GameStop, due to some niche fighting game coming out the same day! :D
(I kid, I'll be the only one in line for SH and not Injustice and you know it.)

Also, PSA: Soul Hackers will apparently be available at midnight at GameStop, due to some niche fighting game coming out the same day! :D

That's pretty awesome. I mean, I'll be getting it from Amazon, but still very cool.

Sophia

WELL GOOD, THAT'S JUST MORE PEOPLE TO NOT PLAY.

Oh you will always have people to play :D

Kinda weird how nobody knows who Naoto's actor is, and sad that she's not in the animation. I don't have anything against Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, but she doesn't fit Naoto that well.

I am just a lowly 3ds EShop person, but I'll buy it the second its up!

Meia

Oh you will always have people to play :D

Kinda weird how nobody knows who Naoto's actor is, and sad that she's not in the animation. I don't have anything against Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, but she doesn't fit Naoto that well.

Doesn't help that all I'm hearing when I hear Naoto in the anime is the Major. :\

I liked her in THAT role, but is she one of the VAs that only have one voice, or did they actually tell her to play Naoto that way, cause it's a horrendous decision then.

Sophia

Doesn't help that all I'm hearing when I hear Naoto in the anime is the Major. :\

I liked her in THAT role, but is she one of the VAs that only have one voice, or did they actually tell her to play Naoto that way, cause it's a horrendous decision then.

Almost certainly she was told to play Naoto that way. McGlynn is insanely talented. They probably just picked her because she was on board for Kashiwagi and it was easier than requesting a new actor and spending money on booth time.

Gross.

Go buy the retail copy, noob.

DIGITAL IS THE FUTURE

mind-blown-2.gif

50462ea2afa96f1e190008a6.gif

For someone who hasn't said a serious thing ever, you are taking this anime awfully serious.

Not really? You're the one that's encouraging people to watch it (you're gonna troll them good!!!), and I'm saying that's stupid as hell, and you're getting really defensive about it? For some reason?

Not with Nintendo, they're stuck in 1999 in terms of online content.

Where's my Survival Kids.

Meia

Is Nintendo still stuck in the past where games were not tied to a unified online account, but the system itself? Cause yeah, I lost a lot with my first Wii, and said never again...

And that's disappointing about Naoto then. One of the favorite things that the actual VA does is change pitch, the more excited she gets in the role, the more the voice becomes undisguised, like when she confronts her shadow. Always loved that bit, and in the anime it was all samey same. :\

FluxWaveZ

And that's disappointing about Naoto then. One of the favorite things that the actual VA does is change pitch, the more excited she gets in the role, the more the voice becomes undisguised, like when she confronts her shadow. Always loved that bit, and in the anime it was all samey same. :\

Was her voice always the same in the anime? I haven't watched the English dub yet, but I thought people preferred the fact that Naoto's VA in the anime couldn't immediately be identified as female and that there was a significant change after her gender is revealed and she changes her tone of voice.

Is Nintendo still stuck in the past where games were not tied to a unified online account, but the system itself? Cause yeah, I lost a lot with my first Wii, and said never again...

I think they're working on it. Isn't that what Nintendo Network user accounts are supposed to be?

Did they ever get around to making a Friend's List that doesn't involve inputting a damn ICQ number? Or like, actually alerts people when you've added them?

Sophia

Was her voice always the same in the anime? I haven't watched the English dub yet, but I thought people preferred the fact that Naoto's VA in the anime couldn't immediately be identified as female and that there was a significant change after her gender is revealed and she changes her tone of voice.

There is tone changes and stuff, and McGlynn makes the reveal a bit more ambiguous due to having a deeper voice, but she doesn't demonstrate the same range the original actor had.

You guys are amazing, I'm laughing my ass off over here :D

Now you know how I feel anytime anything even remotely funny happens in this thread or chat. >_>;

cj_iwakura

Minotaur down due to hilarity. :D

It cast Rebellion. Crit from Yukari, AOA. Crit from Mitsuru, AOA.

It cast Power Charge. I use Phys Mirror.

It does Akasha Arts. 600 to itself.

Some random physical attacks. Dead.

Meia

Happy someone used this picture earlier.

50462ea2afa96f1e190008a6.gif

As that sums up my feelings about Bioshock, after beating it, perfectly. Thank you.

Marche90

I am just a lowly 3ds EShop person, but I'll buy it the second its up!

I'm still unsure about where I'm going to buy it. eShop means that it will be cheaper for me + Club Nintendo points, but I always like to have my Atlus games physically. Well, I still have a few days to decide, thankfully.

Hey, now that I think about it, how about a special .5 episode of the podcast with our talented comedians here? Would be GOLDEN.
sorry for that, it was just for pun :p

cj_iwakura

Hey guys, I have a question:

• How do players that favor the older P1, P2IS, and P2EP feel about the direction that Persona as a series has gone? Left behind? Not represented or catered to? Can you explain why?

Here's another question for anybody that wants to reiterate their opinion:

• What do you want from Persona 5?

The general consensus is:
  1. a bleak setting with more adults and
  2. a more menacing and ambitious villain
  3. no more robot girls

Late on this, but I loved P3 and 4, even if less than 2. It was a nice change, but it's going to get stale if they don't mix it up more next time around.

And I agree that adults and a dose of the occult are for the best.

Not because it's dark. Because it's different, which is always what's set Megaten above and beyond the rest.

Moonlight

Banned
Only noticed this because of cj_iwakura's post, apologies.

• What do you want from Persona 5?

The general consensus is:
  1. a bleak setting with more adults and
  2. a more menacing and ambitious villain
  3. no more robot girls
I figure I might as well give my own response. I can't really speak in regards to P2, as I still haven't actually gotten around to playing it, but I've mulled over what I want with regards to P5 frequently. Speaking broadly (as in, not asking for specific story elements), what I'd want to see from Persona 5 is:

- Male or female options.
- College setting and a largely freshmen cast. I don't think I really want to entirely get away from the average age range that Persona 3 and 4 typically explored. I can entirely understand people who want it to be adult-centric, but I'm a little more apprehensive towards the idea. I think college would be a good compromise to that effect, and let the team get a little more mature without entirely leaving behind the specific issues and exploration of maturity of P3 and P4 (the latter moreso than the former).
- To that effect, I like the idea of scheduling your own courses. With a bigger course load = faster Knowledge gain and maybe some other stuff, less time for Social Linking. Opposite, of course, for a smaller course load. You could place your courses on days to best fit the availability of some Links you'd prefer to prioritize.
- Texting that works like Catherine does, you choose through a couple options to say line by line and increases or reverses your social points. I just really loved texting in Catherine.
- Some consequences for cheating. It'd be unrealistic to assume anything entirely realistic without massively over-complicating things, but it'd be nice to have something tangible be felt within the story or at least, within an S-Link over electing to double/triple/quadruple/etc time your girlfriends.
- Some decent reflection of your progress in S-Links in general. P4's S-Links are amazing, but they also operate in a vacuum independent of almost everything else in the game. I don't expect or even really demand something that really impacts the direction of the story through it, but it'd be nice if it were acknowledged a bit.
- More Jungian psychology - it's my favourite element of P4's story. If I had any problem with P3 (aside from the repetition of Tartarus), it was that I don't think it did enough with the Persona/Shadow dynamic.
- More interesting dungeon design.

I don't actually mind robot girls or whatever.

cj_iwakura

Only noticed this because of cj_iwakura's post, apologies.

I figure I might as well give my own response. I can't really speak in regards to P2, as I still haven't actually gotten around to playing it, but I've mulled over what I want with regards to P5 frequently. Speaking broadly (as in, not asking for specific story elements), what I'd want to see from Persona 5 is:

- Male or female options.
- College setting and a largely freshmen cast. I don't think I really want to entirely get away from the average age range that Persona 3 and 4 typically explored. I can entirely understand people who want it to be adult-centric, but I'm a little more apprehensive towards the idea. I think college would be a good compromise to that effect, and let the team get a little more mature without entirely leaving behind the specific issues and exploration of maturity of P3 and P4 (the latter moreso than the former).
- To that effect, I like the idea of scheduling your own courses. With a bigger course load = faster Knowledge gain and maybe some other stuff, less time for Social Linking. Opposite, of course, for a smaller course load. You could place your courses on days to best fit the availability of some Links you'd prefer to prioritize.
- Texting that works like Catherine does, you choose through a couple options to say line by line and increases or reverses your social points. I just really loved texting in Catherine.
- Some consequences for cheating. It'd be unrealistic to assume anything entirely realistic without massively over-complicating things, but it'd be nice to have something tangible be felt within the story or at least, within an S-Link over electing to double/triple/quadruple/etc time your girlfriends.
- Some decent reflection of your progress in S-Links in general. P4's S-Links are amazing, but they also operate in a vacuum independent of almost everything else in the game. I don't expect or even really demand something that really impacts the direction of the story through it, but it'd be nice if it were acknowledged a bit.
- More Jungian psychology - it's my favourite element of P4's story. If I had any problem with P3 (aside from the repetition of Tartarus), it was that I don't think it did enough with the Persona/Shadow dynamic.
- More interesting dungeon design.

I don't actually mind robot girls or whatever.

Persona 2 innovated the shadow concept. You'll love it.

cjkeats

Minotaur down due to hilarity. :D

It cast Rebellion. Crit from Yukari, AOA. Crit from Mitsuru, AOA.

It cast Power Charge. I use Phys Mirror.

It does Akasha Arts. 600 to itself.

Some random physical attacks. Dead.

When you started this you mentioned streaming, are you still doing that? I'd like to get the full story of the answer, but I don't want to play it.

Soriku

So yeah...for Persona 5 I was thinking that they should try to replicate Soejima's art style with the in-game graphics as closely as possible with their newly developed engine. Soejima seems like he has different shading techniques, but ideally I'd want the game to look closer to this:

For the most part I expect it won't look too far divorced from P3 and P4, particularly in terms of how shots are framed and a focus on character portraits to convey emotions rather than the models themselves. That being said, I do expect the character models will look closer to Soejima's artstyle than what we've seen in P3 and P4.

Hopefully important cutscenes will use high quality, Catherine-esque models and actual framing, but then they might just go straight anime instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom