• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
6Ha361A.gif

Though to be clear, I'm totally ok with being pandered to with hand drawn sprites.

Dantis

I prefer still portraits, as long as they're good. I'd take one Soejima or Kaneko static portrait over the dozens of variable ones used in Devil Survivor.

Urgh. Devil Survivor's art is so ugly.

I agree completely. P4G's portraits looked superb. No need to change them at all.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not sure about the inclusion of portraits because I feel that they were implemented as a way to convey emotion in the Persona games that they couldn't do with the models of the past console generations. Now that they've proven that they can make the characters just as dynamic without them with Catherine's models, I don't know if they're really all that necessary.

Dantis

I'm not sure about the inclusion of portraits because I feel that they were implemented as a way to convey emotion in the Persona games that they couldn't do with the models of the past console generations. Now that they've proven that they can make the characters just as dynamic without them with Catherine's models, I don't know if they're really all that necessary.

But this doesn't apply. You can't expect every cutscene to be fully voiced and animated, surely?

FluxWaveZ

But this doesn't apply. You can't expect every cutscene to be fully voiced and animated, surely?

Not voiced, but is it really that far-fetched to expect the whole game modeled ala Catherine? Most dialogue scenes in the game were not animated and there were some that were not voiced as well.

cjkeats

Hyperdimension Neptunia handles portraits in an interesting way. They don't animate, but they move in this way like they're breathing and the voiced parts are lip synced. They look more alive than static portraits, but a little creepy to some.

Dantis

Hyperdimension Neptunia handles portraits in an interesting way. They don't animate, but they move in this way like hey're breathing and the voiced parts are lip synced. They look more alive than static portraits, but a little creepy to some.

I have a feeling this is more intended to portray heaving chests than anything else?

Not voiced, but is it really that far-fetched to expect the whole game modeled ala Catherine? Most dialogue scenes in the game were not animated and there were some that were not voiced as well.

But there was no way to show emotion in the unvoiced scenes. Surely that would be a step back?

Soriku

I don't take that at all from the article.

Rather, it sounds like they wanted to experiment but not as a way to serve Persona 5 directly.

Yuck, nope. The Arena lip animations just look silly. I like the static shots much more.

That's not what I take from it. It doesn't look or feel like an experiment, and the only experience I can see it giving them is experience with superior animation rigs and possibly ZBrushing models for the artists, and coding better shaders for the programmers? I mean, in terms of mechanics, Catherine could be a PS2 game.

I think it depends on your definition of experiment. Rather than a strictly one-off thing, I was thinking it was just different type of game they wanted to try while gaining HD experience before they focus on P5.

cjkeats

I have a feeling this is more intended to portray heaving chests than anything else?

Probably. Well....
the lolis do it too, so probably not entirely.

But there was no way to show emotion in the unvoiced scenes. Surely that would be a step back?

If the models are well animated like Catherine, they sure could. Not like they have to use the deformed style anymore.

FluxWaveZ

I heavily disagree. Even when the scenes are not voiced, Catherine's models were so beautiful and expressive that it absolutely does not matter. Plus, many Persona 4 dialogue scenes that were not voiced also did not have portraits to go along with them like the classroom scenes or most of the NPCs, which would definitely be alleviated with Catherine-like models.

Dantis

I heavily disagree. Even when the scenes are not voiced, Catherine's models were so beautiful and expressive that it absolutely does not matter. Plus, many Persona 4 dialogue scenes that were not voiced also did not have portraits to go along with them like the classroom scenes or most of the NPCs, which would definitely be alleviated with Catherine-like models.

If the models are well animated like Catherine, they sure could. Not like they have to use the deformed style anymore.

But surely they're way too zoomed out to show emotion?

FluxWaveZ

But surely they're way too zoomed out to show emotion?

No? Have you played Catherine? A lot of scenes are pulled out to a distance similar to P3 or P4 yet because the models aren't as ugly and more effort is put into their movement the emotion resonates. Plus, the camera is more dynamic in that game than in Persona so more effort is put into showing the player what the developers want to convey.

Dantis

No? Have you played Catherine? A lot of scenes are pulled out to a distance similar to P3 or P4 yet because the models aren't as ugly and more effort is put into their movement the emotion resonates. Plus, the camera is more dynamic in that game than in Persona so more effort is put into showing the player what the developers want to convey.

I have played Catherine. Many, many times. I don't remember any emotion from the S Link style characters whatsoever. Certainly not as much as the P4 portraits give off.

FluxWaveZ

I have played Catherine. Many, many times. I don't remember any emotion from the S Link style characters whatsoever. Certainly not as much as the P4 portraits give off.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but watching videos again to remind myself of how it looked I really can't agree with that because talking to every character at the bar worked so well without the portraits.

Kind of like how a few maintain that Ace Attorney 5's models do not capture the charm of the previous game's sprites while many say that they work very well.

Moonlight

Banned

Jintor

I just suddenly got hit by a weird feeling about how the P4 party is a really good group of friends.

They should go boozing. Like, with actual booze.

qVUz3PB.png

Someone finally found this image in slightly better quality.

It bothers me to an unreasonable degree when I find Kaneko art that doesn't exist in high quality on the internet. Between this image and those two Nocturne magazine covers, last year was quite the eye opener in terms of SECRET KANEKO WORKS.

qVUz3PB.png

Someone finally found this image in slightly better quality.

It bothers me to an unreasonable degree when I find Kaneko art that doesn't exist in high quality on the internet. Between this image and those two Nocturne magazine covers, last year was quite the eye opener in terms of SECRET KANEKO WORKS.

Fucking...I was looking forever for that.

cj_iwakura

Streaming isn't working well at the moment. :( I'll keep trying at it while I work on Judecca, so apologies if it goes out randomly.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
What game are you streaming? The site won't load for me, but I've been having trouble with streaming sites for a while.

cj_iwakura

It was The Answer, but I gave up for now. Maybe better luck tomorrow. (Almost done with Judecca!)

Answer bosses are all kinds of crazy.

Noi

...Dammit, save data for the physical version of P4A doesn't work on the digital one.

All my story/challenge progress. :(

Noi

Wat? Are you sure you didn't just have to load it from the options menu?

No go. I even went into the saves separately, and the game makes a separate save for the DL version.

8599923083_320b35ef13_z.jpg

(The other two are Replay and System data for the disc version.) DLC works fine, thankfully.

Sophia

No go. I even went into the saves separately, and the game makes a separate save for the DL version.

(The other two are Replay and System data for the disc version.) DLC works fine, thankfully.

Wow that's some real bullcrap right there. At least story mode is easy enough to speed through....

You get the Teddie announcer for finishing story?

That's actually pretty neat.

One of the easier navigators to unlock as well.

Warning though, if you set your game to japanese and want to have Rise as a navigator (only one you get from the beginning, unless you want no nav)... it gets annoying fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom