• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

True. Saori and "Maya" are about equal. Rio is excellent.

The main thing about P3's S.links compared to P3P is that P3's are about telling dudes what they want to hear where P3P (from its P4 legacy) is about telling them what they need to hear.

Saori is superior.

Jintor

The payoff in "Maya"'s case is a lot more entertaining. Don't you just get a letter or something for Saori?

Cool chick though she be.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, Okamura is one of the most despicable and unlikeable characters in the Persona franchise. You're meant to hate her. And she gets away scot-free for her actions too.

I still like her design, and in her defense(ha ha), she happens to be absolutely insane.

Taruranto

Yeah, Okamura is one of the most despicable and unlikeable characters in the Persona franchise. You're meant to hate her. And she gets away scot-free for her actions too.

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

FluxWaveZ

Didn't P2 deal with people's
"shadows"
too? All I know is that there's
portrait art of Lisa that looks awesome.

Labeling the fact that Persona 2 deals with Shadows is like saying that Persona 4 deals with peoples' Shadows is a spoiler, especially since it's on the P2 box art.

And that's not the contradictory themes they mean.

cjkeats

Labeling the fact that Persona 2 deals with Shadows is like saying that Persona 4 deals with peoples' Shadows is a spoiler, especially since it's on the P2 box art.

And that's not the contradictory themes they mean.

Better safe than sorry. Not everyone knows the story or sees the box, considering it's pretty much bought digitally only these days.

Spoiling things is the most assshole thing you can do.

Meia

I've still never played p2. I still know about the existence of them in it, but I don't know the context, so it's fine to me. If anything, that kind of revelation that they're in it could get fans who fell in love with the series based on 3 and 4 to go back and give 2 a try. /shrug

For me, it was persona 4 arena's story, and then the speculation about prior casts. Then that led to finding out that about p2, which made me buy IS on PSN immediately.

Still, better safe than sorry I guess, even if a pic was floated around a few a days ago and is someone's avatar now.

*goes back to Beginner P1 run* Dammit, I will finish these things this month if it kills me.

FluxWaveZ

Better safe than sorry. Not everyone knows the story or sees the box, considering it's pretty much bought digitally only these days.

Spoiling things is the most assshole thing you can do.

True, spoiling things is pretty bad, but I think it does a disservice to the game itself to say that one of its fundamental concepts is a spoiler.

cjkeats

True, spoiling things is pretty bad, but I think it does a disservice to the game itself to say that one of its fundamental concepts is a spoiler.

Much like a book or movie, the story of a game should be experienced completely blind.
P2 is something the majority of people in here haven't experienced.

FluxWaveZ

Much like a book or movie, the story of a game should be experienced completely blind.
P2 is something the majority of people in here haven't experienced.

But is saying that Persona 4 deals with murders and kidnappings or that Persona 3 is a lot about death a spoiler to you? Because I wouldn't consider something that is practically a bullet point in terms of the narrative a spoiler.

Then again, I suppose I could see the point for going into something completely blind without knowing absolutely any detail as to what it's about, but then anyone who would want to say anything about P1 or P2 would need to put it behind a spoiler mark and that's a bit much, no?

The way the shadows came to be is pretty spoilerish, though.

That's what shouldn't be talked about without spoiler marks.

cjkeats

My avatar was promotional advertisement art and both games have those guys on the cover :(
I was in the middle of making some witty remark about our avatars and sales numbers before that other thread got locked(thank god).

But is saying that Persona 4 deals with murders and kidnappings or that Persona 3 is a lot about death a spoiler to you? Because I wouldn't consider something that is practically a bullet point in terms of the narrative a spoiler.

Then again, I suppose I could see the point for going into something completely blind without knowing absolutely any detail as to what it's about, but then anyone who would want to say anything about P1 or P2 would need to put it behind a spoiler mark and that's a bit much, no?

To me, P2 is about the mystery of the joker, because that's what the box told me.
Same with p4 being about the murders, and p3 being about the mystery of the dark hour.

I wouldn't have know about P2's shadows unless I read the spoilers I did.
P3&4 get a bit of a pass because most of us played them. Most of us have not played p2.
The main themes aren't spoilers in a sense to some, but as long as we keep the story beats covered, most will be fine.

If we spoil the story beats, no one will want to play it and buddha will be sad.

Levito

Banned
Never understand why people get so bent out of shape over P4: Arena's story. No it's not very good, but that game is purely fan service. It's an excuse to get the characters fighting eachother and that's it.

Dantis

Never understand why people get so bent out of shape over P4: Arena's story. No it's not very good, but that game is purely fan service. It's an excuse to get the characters fighting eachother and that's it.

Purely because it's canon. It creates potential problems for future iterations and is an unsatisfying conclusion to the character's arcs.

Squire

Banned
Purely because it's canon. It creates potential problems for future iterations and is an unsatisfying conclusion to the character's arcs.

FFX-2 is canon and we ignore it. Also rest cons; I'm not opposed to them when they're perfectly necessary. If they decide to disavow Arena as canon they have my full support.

Meia

Don't get the unsatisfying to characters thing, but opinions. :p

But yeah.....screw X-2. :\

Only real problem I have with arena is it's left a sword hanging over our heads in terms of "what's next?" I still think the root of all evil with this is NO PERSONA 5 ANNOUNCEMENT EVER.

Dantis

FFX-2 is canon and we ignore it. Also rest cons; I'm not opposed to them when they're perfectly necessary. If they decide to disavow Arena as canon they have my full support.

I agree wholeheartedly. Like I've said before, there are loads of reasons why I don't think Arena will be continued in Persona 5. It's just a concern that it's possible.

Squire

Banned
Hey, X-2 is great! I just don't let it retroactively ruin the way I feel about X. Same with P4A.

Sequels are hardly ever so bad they throw a whole stories future down the shitter. They could easily continue on from P4A and bounce back

Lets not be hyperbolic. The story isn't good, but it's not a disaster by any stretch.

Dantis

I haven't posted this quote from Hashino in a while, so now seems like a good time:

KH: We heard a lot from our fans that they wanted to walk around the P3 city more, but it wouldn't make much sense to the players that started from P4, so we only brushed the surface and put our efforts elsewhere. Actually, the entire Persona series so far -- not just P3 and P4 -- has taken place in the same world. But for the same reason as above, we chose to make the connections weak. As for a follow-up game, we currently have no plans for such a title.

Like I say, I don't think that it will follow on at all. I'm just concerned about the possibility.

cjkeats

Something I wanted to say on the last podcast but didn't get a chance to when we were talking about the world of p5, some were saying how a more open world would be fun, but I think if rather more smaller detailed areas.
For example, look at the bar in Catherine. Pretty much the only place you could go in the game, but there's so many little things around it. Mostly just fanservice, but still you get my point.

And concerning the previous game references, I thought P4 handled it perfectly.

Meia

I would say Inaba was fine in terms of all the places you could visit, Golden adding more to do in some of the areas was a nice idea, and wouldn't mind seeing this idea with more behind it. Going back to a city again like 3 did wouldn't be bad either.

Something that really kind of stood out to me playing through Fes again recently after a half dozen times of 4 was how much bigger every area was. There was more wide open areas in tartarus, while 4 just had a lot of corridors. Even in areas outside of dungeons, there was a LOT of corridors. It was....jarring running around the dorm for the first time in years playing P3 again and seeing how much, well, bigger everything was. Maybe it was a design decision for Inaba to make it seem more small/quaint, but I liked 3's feeling better probably.

More things to do, maybe break up the day into more blocks(or make it more realistic), and have these effect Slinks if they're in, and it'd be great. At this point, more good characters and interaction with them, and a good story to play through for the first time, just give me the game already. :p

Meia

Thanks to that thread, I was able to into Gaf's past with a few threads, and I hadn't laughed that hard in a long, long time. I'd consider the experience overall worth it. :)

woah, woah. P4A's story is great. I mean, it's not like P4 was this pristine untouchable work. It was kinda silly and P4A revels in that silliness.

cj_iwakura

Thanks to that thread, I was able to into Gaf's past with a few threads, and I hadn't laughed that hard in a long, long time. I'd consider the experience overall worth it. :)

It's kind of a sad cycle with anime game threads. Game announced - questionable source material - someone posts ridiculous image of anime content - all out war between anime GAF and the haters - lock.

Dantis

I don't really agree either, but to be fair, you haven't played EP yet. The two games are night and day in tone.

In tone absolutely, but it seemed like that last post suggested that P2's main theme is "Shit happens and there's nothing you can do about it" whilst P4's is "Anything is possible with the power of friendship". Neither of which is remotely true (Based on IS, at least).

Taruranto

Both Inaba and Port Island were very boring place to me.

I wish they followed P2 example, it has very memorable locations/shops and NPCs (who often had their mini story-arc) all over the town.

It's kind of a sad cycle with anime game threads. Game announced - questionable source material - someone posts ridiculous image of anime content - all out war between anime GAF and the haters - lock.

Oreimo kinda deserves that treatment because it's an awful franchise. :C

Both Inaba and Port Island were very boring place to me.

I wish they followed P2 example, it has very memorable locations/shops and NPCs (who often had their mini story-arc) all over the town.

I fucking talked to every npc and party member in every single location I could man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom