• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Please don't spoil P1 and P2 in here without tags. I'm very slowly going through them.

Please imagine my reaction like this as I gradually realise what I am reading is spoilers:

iW7X9njGpPXhP.gif

cj_iwakura

In tone absolutely, but it seemed like that last post suggested that P2's main theme is "Shit happens and there's nothing you can do about it" whilst P4's is "Anything is possible with the power of friendship". Neither of which is remotely true (Based on IS, at least).

That's not too far off the mark actually. In P4, you easily bring Izanami low. In P2,
You never even remotely humble Nyarlathotep. He laughs at you after you 'defeat' him.

That's not too far off the mark actually. In P4, you easily bring Izanami low. In P2,
You never even remotely humble Nyarlathotep. He laughs at you after you 'defeat' him.

Even worse,
he actively aids you as the time count, while telling you that you are powerless, and is basically showing you how powerless you are, even while he aids you.

Taruranto

I fucking talked to every npc and party member in every single location I could man

Yeah, same here, the ammount of text/hidden stuff is amazing. Like the fact that the Sumaru Gypsy
is actually a dude and he got the shop and his "powers" because of the powers of the rumors, lol.

Even worse,
he actively aids you as the time count, while telling you that you are powerless, and is basically showing you how powerless you are, even while he aids you.

Not to mention that
he's also both Hitler and the Joker's Persona at the same time... he's literally fighting himself! And when you reach Xibalba's core he throws the skull you were looking for at your feets, telling it's just a bunch of shit, lol.

Soma

I honestly really don't care too much for Sumaru City. Too jumping back and forth to different districts for roughly the same items. The whole
use rumors to unlock better items
in different shops thing got old really fast too.

cjkeats

Thanks to that thread, I was able to into Gaf's past with a few threads, and I hadn't laughed that hard in a long, long time. I'd consider the experience overall worth it. :)
Here's another fun look into GAF history here.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521385

Oreimo kinda deserves that treatment because it's an awful franchise. :C
You're an awful franchise.

Please don't spoil P1 and P2 in here without tags. I'm very slowly going through them.

Please imagine my reaction like this as I gradually realise what I am reading is spoilers:

iW7X9njGpPXhP.gif
Little witch was amazing. Everyone should watch it.

FluxWaveZ

I honestly really don't care too much for Sumaru City. Too jumping back and forth to different districts for roughly the same items. The whole
use rumors to unlock better items
in different shops thing got old really fast too.

Yeah, NPC dialogue was very compelling in P2, but I feel that the areas themselves had a lot more thought put into them in P3 and P4.

I really love the concept of
rumors becoming reality
, but yeah, the execution from a gameplay perspective was redundant.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, NPC dialogue was very compelling in P2, but I feel that the areas themselves had a lot more thought put into them in P3 and P4.

I really love the concept of
rumors becoming reality
, but yeah, the execution from a gameplay perspective was redundant.

Genuinely curious: did either of you play P2 when it came out, or only after P3/P4?

Dantis

That's not too far off the mark actually.
In P4, you easily bring Izanami low
. In P2,

That's an event, it's nothing to do with the main theme.

P4 is all about perception. It's about judging a book by its cover. That's why it starts with a girl in a bikini. Everyone has some reaction when they see that, whether it's "Wahey!" or "Well, this is weird", nobody thinks about the girl herself, just about what they see. The TV world is their analogy of this, because we all create some mental opinion of the people we see on TV, so the TV world is asking what you'd see if you could go inside the TV world (Except, literally) and see the 'real' person in there.

Heck, that's why fog is a recurring motif: Because fog obstructs your vision.

FluxWaveZ

Genuinely curious: did either of you play P2 when it came out, or only after P3/P4?

Hell no to the former. Only learned about what the Persona series was when GB's Persona 4 Endurance Run started in early 2009. Watched a couple of episodes of that and realized that it was a game I would absolutely adore, so I got P3FES and P4 and played those.

cj_iwakura

P4 is all about perception. It's about judging a book by its cover. That's why it starts with a girl in a bikini. Everyone has some reaction when they see that, whether it's "Wahey!" or "Well, this is weird", nobody thinks about the girl herself, just about what they see. The TV world is their analogy of this, because we all create some mental opinion of the people we see on TV, so the TV world is asking what you'd see if you could go inside the TV world (Except, literally) and see the 'real' person in there.

IMO, the main theme about P2 is the past and the future, and having to take on the former to embrace the latter. But it's no easy feat.

Soma

Been playing P2 for the first time. I mean, the different districts work well enough in P2's narrative due to the multiple dungeons not being restricted in a singular location but there's just these little details in the game mechanics that I don't think hold up as well. I'm not saying these are totally game-breaking things that make the game unplayable (and people absolutely should play it because the story and characters are great) but I think it's just a bit dated.

The reason I prefer the Tatsumi Port and Inaba locations is because everything I need is right there where I need it. Clean and simple, no bullshit required. NPC dialogue could be better though, not gonna lie. That all said, it probably wouldn't work as well if there were different dungeon areas as in P2's structure.

Squire

Banned

^Perfect.

Seriously, that's a really genius analysis.

cj_iwakura

Been playing P2 for the first time. I mean, the different districts work well enough in P2's narrative due to the multiple dungeons not being restricted in a singular location but there's just these little details in the game mechanics that I don't think hold up as well. I'm not saying these are totally game-breaking things that make the game unplayable (and people absolutely should play it because the story and characters are great) but I think it's just a bit dated.

The reason I prefer the Tatsumi Port and Inaba locations is because everything I need is right there where I need it. Clean and simple, no bullshit required. NPC dialogue could be better though, not gonna lie. That all said, it probably wouldn't work as well if there were different dungeon areas as in P2's structure.

That's kind of what I expected. You both dislike P2's gameplay aspects because you're comparing it to a game that didn't exist at the time.

Squire

Banned
That's kind of what I expected. You both dislike P2's gameplay aspects because you're comparing it to a game that didn't exist at the time.

It's archaic and hasn't aged well. Comparisons to modern Persons games or any other RPG might influence that criticism, but they don't invalidate it.

Sophia

It's archaic and hasn't aged well. Comparisons to modern Persons games or any other RPG might influence that criticism, but they don't invalidate it.

It hasn't aged that badly. The worst aspects were the UI.... which were fixed in the PSP ports..... of which we didn't get both of them....

.... damnit Atlus.

Squire

Banned
It hasn't aged that badly. The worst aspects were the UI.... which were fixed in the PSP ports..... of which we didn't get both of them....

.... damnit Atlus.

That's fine and well, but it's nobodies job to play a game with any pre-set qualifiers.

EP seemed fine to me. Different from P3/4, but sound (I reiterate I only played an hour or so), but that's a straight judgement. I didn't go into it thinking, "Well, it was the 90s." I didn't particularly enjoy it, so I didn't stick with it. I think that's better than making excuses for it in an attempt to be understanding.

I regard all games this way because like any media if they're truly great, they stand the test of time. It's all subjective of course, too though. I'm sure Buddha and CJ think P2 plays like new, which is all good :)

So Persona and Persona 2 Innocent Sin aren't worth playing then? That's a shame. I downloaded both of them earlier on the sale along with Persona 3 Portable, although I've already played FES so doubt I'll play that. Seems I may have just waste my money..

cj_iwakura

That's fine and well, but it's nobodies job to play a game with any pre-set qualifiers.

EP seemed fine to me. Different from P3/4, but sound (I reiterate I only played an hour or so), but that's a straight judgement. I didn't go into it thinking, "Well, it was the 90s." I didn't particularly enjoy it, so I didn't stick with it. I think that's better than making excuses for it in an attempt to be understanding.

I regard all games this way because like any media if they're truly great, they stand the test of time. It's all subjective of course, too though. I'm sure Buddha and CJ think P2 plays like new, which is all good :)

Yep. P2 plays just fine, and I have no clue what makes them less playable than the likes of Etrian Odyssey or retro dungeon crawlers of the ilk.

So Persona and Persona 2 Innocent Sin aren't worth playing then? That's a shame. I downloaded both of them earlier on the sale along with Persona 3 Portable, although I've already played FES so doubt I'll play that. Seems I may have just waste my money..

Look what you're perpetuating. :(

Meia

I doubt that they're not worth playing.

Just pick the easiest setting and guide your ass off to get through them quickly. If there's one thing I've seen this place agree on is how good the story of P2 is, so that's why I'm going to do my best to see it myself this month...

...if I can stomach P1 anyway. Third time's a charm I'm hoping, especially since I'm trying this time on beginner(cause screw those toilet demons).

In terms of old games, well, I can still go back to something like CT and early FF and still have fun with them, while this is a struggle. It's not about graphics, it's about systems bringing everything to a screeching halt. I know for me since I'm used to the P3 and P4 systems, the ideas of hitting something's weakness not amounting to a whole lot is jarring, and gives me all kinds of negative feelings when it comes to the idea of fusing personas since there's nothing to really guide my decisions with it. Couple that with the resources needed to get them kind of putting a damper on the idea of experimenting, and you have a disaster on your hands.

Squire

Banned
Yep. P2 plays just fine, and I have no clue what makes them less playable than the likes of Etrian Odyssey or retro dungeon crawlers of the ilk.

I think you'd be safer assuming people who don't care for P2 feel the same about EO rather than not liking P2 because it's not like it's successors.

On the contrary (for me at least) I would have loved to get into it because I enjoyed P4. I want to appreciate the series as a whole. The way I was introduced to it is irrelevant to that goal.

Even though I couldn't get into the core gameplay, I certainly got a sense of why you guys like it so much. Don't regret giving Atlus the $10 either.

I don't think any of us think that.

Soma

Well I can't say for sure if I would have the same opinion if I had played it when it first released, but the reality is that I found some game mechanics in P2 to be improved in the later sequels (and there's probably loads of other things that the sequels did better/worse but that's a whole 'nother can of worms I don't feel like opening).

I don't think any of us think that.

I doubt that they're not worth playing.

Just pick the easiest setting and guide your ass off to get through them quickly. If there's one thing I've seen this place agree on is how good the story of P2 is, so that's why I'm going to do my best to see it myself this month...

...if I can stomach P1 anyway. Third time's a charm I'm hoping, especially since I'm trying this time on beginner(cause screw those toilet demons).

In terms of old games, well, I can still go back to something like CT and early FF and still have fun with them, while this is a struggle. It's not about graphics, it's about systems bringing everything to a screeching halt. I know for me since I'm used to the P3 and P4 systems, the ideas of hitting something's weakness not amounting to a whole lot is jarring, and gives me all kinds of negative feelings when it comes to the idea of fusing personas since there's nothing to really guide my decisions with it. Couple that with the resources needed to get them kind of putting a damper on the idea of experimenting, and you have a disaster on your hands.
Well there seems to be a lot of negativity around the first 2 games, particularly when it comes to the gameplay. Because the gameplay is the main reason I play these games it can be a bit off-putting.

But if other elements of the games are good enough that it can be overlooked then maybe I'll it a shot. So you recommend a guide and just winging through them? Just rushing past the dungeon sections and taking time to enjoy the other aspects?
Oh, I forgot to say: Arena EU is region locked.

Not surprising, but mildly amusing.
Expected, but seems entirely pointless considering it's already out everywhere else

Yeah, same here, the ammount of text/hidden stuff is amazing. Like the fact that the Sumaru Gypsy
is actually a dude and he got the shop and his "powers" because of the powers of the rumors, lol.

Not to mention that
he's also both Hitler and the Joker's Persona at the same time... he's literally fighting himself! And when you reach Xibalba's core he throws the skull you were looking for at your feets, telling it's just a bunch of shit, lol.

Yeah, the
the chief detective of that branch becoming, over time in the conversations with him, some sort of alien(?) and all the people nonchalantly talking about ascending to become higher beings did alot for that game. Society WAS breaking down around you, and your'e the only sane people to stop it.

cjkeats

May 10th. We're lobbying up, if you want to join in.

I'll be there with bells on. I was playing it the other day with some other gaffers and remembered how fun it is.

I'm still about as good as someone who got it day one, so it'll be a fair fight :/

cj_iwakura

Is cross-play fighting possible? I'd join if I could, imagine the lag from Florida to there!

Also, the gif at the TOTP is gorgeous.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Is cross-play fighting possible? I'd join if I could, imagine the lag from Florida to there!

You mean by region? Yeah, you could play with Japanese people at launch, I would venture that it's the same with EU.

Dantis

You on 360 or PS3?

We're doing PS3, so if you have that, there's no reason not to join.

You can all lag when you play me. It'll be glorious.

I'm down to fight, and I am still confused by that passive aggressive comment. Most of the time I am just messin around, if it really is annoying you, I can stop ya know.

cjkeats

If anyone picks up the 360 version(which I doubt, but you never know), I have both versions and will happily throw down with you there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom