• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

I don't know, I haven't played them, I'm just going with my rationale to it.

And again, I say part of the reason it's so hard to get into these games is it throws systems that while you're familiar with as a new fan of the series, they're so different in how they work that you don't know what you're doing at first. Throw in that the games are old enough and niche enough that there doesn't really exist good guides, and it adds another problem(at least in terms of persona 1). Yes, the wikidot or whatever for persona 1 is very precise in your info, but you can't throw a spreadsheet in someone's face and expect them to "get it". :p

The thing I'm still stuck on is I'm trained from 3 and 4 to constantly make new persona. Is that not important in the old ones, or not as important? Since hitting something's ele weakness doesn't seem that big of a deal, what am I looking for in terms of what I should be equipping on people persona-wise? Like, what types of skills, what type of strengths should they have, that kind of thing.

It's like anything else, there's a learning curve with every system, and I can appreciate that. But there's a difference between looking at someone's notes and figuring it out that way, and cracking open a text book and teaching yourself. My forays into P1 have resembled the latter rather than the former, which puts a barrier to getting through them. I don't think it's a bad game, but at the same time, I'm not seeing much good either with it. P2 from the bit I played(before I decided to punish myself and go back to P1) seems like it's going to be an amazing game, and the characters actually feel like characters(unlike 1's cast). Throw in very interesting story hooks early, and yeah, those games won't be a problem to get through(fans seem to love them more than 1 simply based on the amount of help with guides there are). It's just 1 that's....gah.

And Gaf is doing p4a again, but on the ps3? Will buy a second copy just cause then. :)

You on 360 or PS3?

We're doing PS3, so if you have that, there's no reason not to join.

You can all lag when you play me. It'll be glorious.

I dunno, the netcode to this game is pretty damn solid. More often than not when I play people from Japan lag is minimal

I don't know, I haven't played them, I'm just going with my rationale to it.

And again, I say part of the reason it's so hard to get into these games is it throws systems that while you're familiar with as a new fan of the series, they're so different in how they work that you don't know what you're doing at first. Throw in that the games are old enough and niche enough that there doesn't really exist good guides, and it adds another problem(at least in terms of persona 1). Yes, the wikidot or whatever for persona 1 is very precise in your info, but you can't throw a spreadsheet in someone's face and expect them to "get it". :p

The thing I'm still stuck on is I'm trained from 3 and 4 to constantly make new persona. Is that not important in the old ones, or not as important? Since hitting something's ele weakness doesn't seem that big of a deal, what am I looking for in terms of what I should be equipping on people persona-wise? Like, what types of skills, what type of strengths should they have, that kind of thing.

It's like anything else, there's a learning curve with every system, and I can appreciate that. But there's a difference between looking at someone's notes and figuring it out that way, and cracking open a text book and teaching yourself. My forays into P1 have resembled the latter rather than the former, which puts a barrier to getting through them. I don't think it's a bad game, but at the same time, I'm not seeing much good either with it. P2 from the bit I played(before I decided to punish myself and go back to P1) seems like it's going to be an amazing game, and the characters actually feel like characters(unlike 1's cast). Throw in very interesting story hooks early, and yeah, those games won't be a problem to get through(fans seem to love them more than 1 simply based on the amount of help with guides there are). It's just 1 that's....gah.

And Gaf is doing p4a again, but on the ps3? Will buy a second copy just cause then. :)
Cool, very informative post. I'll take note of this stuff when I finally get around to them. And I'm used to the whole checking guides/wiki thing after playing Demon's Souls and Disgae, so that shouldn't be a problem - if there's actually enough stuff out there that is.

Meia

Cool, very informative post. I'll take note of this stuff when I finally get around to them. And I'm used to the whole checking guides/wiki thing after playing Demon's Souls and Disgae, so that shouldn't be a problem - if there's actually enough stuff out there that is.

Yeah, that's kind of the problem. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls all anyone talks about are how difficult they are, but there's plenty to read about them and then you just play and you can fill in the gaps yourself. Persona 1 doesn't seem nearly as forgiving. I thought I had a good handle on things, until toilet demons in the game's like 3rd dungeon killed my party so fast I had Nocturne Matador flashbacks. :p

I see, I guess I will try to tone it down a bit then

1itOXR2.gif

e:
Ooh so this is the something exciting I was feeling...

"Hi I'm a god or whatever summoned by PersonaGAF's subconscious need to bicker or something blah blah PersonaGAF brought it on itself blah blah blah just granting your wishes."

-increasingly every SMT game's plot

"Hi I'm a god or whatever summoned by PersonaGAF's subconscious need to bicker or something blah blah PersonaGAF brought it on itself blah blah blah just granting your wishes."

-increasingly every SMT game's plot

I feel like it is not a megaten unless a tower or an alternate world is not involved in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom