• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

rObit

Banned
Well that was hilarious. I was in a dungeon in P3 and decided to take a break to make some food. I hit the start button to pause out of instinct and nothing happens, so whatever no big deal, I'll just leave it sitting since I'm right at the start of the floor. Monsters won't roam to the entryway so I'll be fine, right? Right? I come back to find myself engaged in a fight with the Grim Reaper of all people, who has killed all of my party members and is now politely waiting for my turn. I escape from the battle and res all my bros, and as I'm running for the return beacon Death decides to troll me a little more and chases me down, picking off Mitsuru before I am able to escape to safety.

I guess he spawns after you're on the same floor for too long? I know better now.

By the way, can you grind the dungeons indefinitely so long as you periodically return to the first floor before anyone gets tired? Or will they still get tired eventually? I'd go back to get HP and SP back and it seemed like going back might have also refreshed everyone's status.

Sophia

By the way, can you grind the dungeons indefinitely so long as you periodically return to the first floor before anyone gets tired? Or will they still get tired eventually? I'd go back to get HP and SP back and it seemed like going back might have also refreshed everyone's status.

No, returning to the first floor doesn't refresh everyone's status. Eventually they'll all get tired. It's based upon the amount of battles you fight.

rObit

Banned
No, returning to the first floor doesn't refresh everyone's status. Eventually they'll all get tired. It's based upon the amount of battles you fight.

I see, thanks. I must have discovered the HP/SP thing around the same time that they got a boost in combat time.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This is silly.

cTbdrPv.gif

Ok so I'm about to start my foray into P3 but I have to ask the question you all know is coming: FES or P3P?

I remember reading that one or two people really hating P3P but I don't remember why. How well done is the femMC?

Ok so I'm about to start my foray into P3 but I have to ask the question you all know is coming: FES or P3P?

I remember reading that one or two people really hating P3P but I don't remember why. How well done is the femMC?

Do you care more about more fleshed out game mechanics, or better presentation, cutscenes, and the full story?

Sophia

FES has the superior presentation and story and non-compromised graphics. You also get The Answer.

Persona 3 Portable has all the improvements done to vanilla Persona 4, including direct party control and a much better UI. You also get the awesome Female Protagonist.

Pick your poison.

Meia

This is silly.

Silly or not, I defy you to say that you didn't think the chia pet song in your head along with the image! Mwuhahahahaha!

Fes is best for your first foray into the world of Persona 3. You lose a lot of the impact of some of the story scenes because of the visual novel format. They....didn't do a good job with that in portable...

Thankfully, portable is different enough that you can probably easily go from one to the other and still not be bored. Well, maybe, Tartarus at the end still wore on me...

Moonlight

Banned
Do you care more about more fleshed out game mechanics and the better protagonist, or better presentation, cutscenes, and the full story?
Personally, I see the concessions in presentation and overall story made in P3P as a more than acceptable trade-off for the FeMC. To answer your question, FeMC is remarkably well done. A lot is done to make her feel distinct from the original main character even going down to her weapon. She has her own unique Social Links (and can start one with all of the members of SEES, unlike the male protagonist), her own music (which is outstanding), and her own dialogue choices that make her personality feel that much more different from the male protagonist. And besides all that, her character design counts as one of Soejima's best.

That all said, I would suggest that you play FES first, because there are unquestionably a few moments in P3P that lose out in impact because of the visual novel-esque format of presentation in P3P. But I really would not ask that you avoid it.

Trigger

FeMC is more emotive IMO than P3MC and Yu. I'd say both are worth a playthrough.

Personally, I see the concessions in presentation and overall story made in P3P as a more than acceptable trade-off for the FeMC. To answer your question, FeMC is remarkably well done. A lot is done to make her feel distinct from the original main character even going down to her weapon. She has her own unique Social Links (and can start one with all of the members of SEES, unlike the male protagonist), her own music (which is outstanding), and her own dialogue choices that make her personality feel that much more different from the male protagonist. And besides all that, her character design counts as one of Soejima's best.

That all said, I would suggest that you play FES first, because there are unquestionably a few moments in P3P that lose out in impact because of the visual novel-esque format of presentation in P3P. But I really would not ask that you avoid it.

My advice is to play the game with the male first and do female for bonus playthroughs, but thats just me

I guess I'll go with FES. Chances are I won't play P3P (I rarely, if ever, replay a story based game even if it's slightly different).

Shame, after Yu I was curious to try a female protagonist...and hit on all the boys ;D

Jintor

I guess I'll go with FES. Chances are I won't play P3P (I rarely, if ever, replay a story based game even if it's slightly different).

Shame, after Yu I was curious to try a female protagonist...and hit on all the boys ;D

That is the best part of FemC

Sophia

Believe me. Female MC is different enough that it's worth a playthrough. She gives a completely new perspective to the game's story.

Meia

If by portable being slightly different you mean every social link being different, sure. :p

Portable is the superior character and links, but it just goes to show how poorly they did with the story scenes that I cannot in good conscious recommend that as your first foray into the story. And that's a sad thing.

Played Fes when it first came out, then played portable when that first came out, so it seemed fine. Then I went back to playing Fes again about a month ago. The format of portable is rage inducing.

I'd probably say play through Fes, play another game or two, then come back to portable after, since you may OD on Tartarus otherwise. :p

PK Gaming

0_0

(goes to check)

what...?!? I think I just lost massive respect for Minako. No Junpei or Akihiko social link... are you freaking kidding me? Hell, where's the Ken & Koromaru SL? And who the hell is Nozomi or Mamoru? Ugh I wish FeMC existed on consoles too, its going to be hard playing throug P3:FES without maxing out the social link of all of my party members?

This isn't funny :(

Jintor

Minako was too busy sleeping and hanging out with freaking Kenji of all people. Or that Gourmet King asshole. Jesus christ.

Jintor

True. Saori and "Maya" are about equal. Rio is excellent.

The main thing about P3's S.links compared to P3P is that P3's are about telling dudes what they want to hear where P3P (from its P4 legacy) is about telling them what they need to hear.

Meia

0_0

(goes to check)

what...?!? I think I just lost massive respect for Minako. No Junpei or Akihiko social link... are you freaking kidding me? Hell, where's the Ken & Koromaru SL? And who the hell is Nozomi or Mamoru? Ugh I wish FeMC existed on consoles too, its going to be hard playing throug P3:FES without maxing out the social link of all of my party members?

This isn't funny :(

And now you know why many of us want a persona 3 vita release with the femc stuff added to a full game. :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Built a new computer with actual speakers instead of using my laptop's ones.

First thing I did? Persona soundtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom